Should we cash in?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Should we cash in?

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Great performance today from Tom and great to see him back to fitness and on form.

However with Nick Pope back in the next week or so and a more than capable back up in Hart (not to mention Lindegaard), come the end of January should we cash in?

Toms the oldest of our three keepers, wont be without suitors and has now proved that he is fit and still capable. We have the option of keeping Pope and Hart on for at least 2.5 more seasons whereas Heatons expires at the end of next.

Now is the time we could get most money for him. And a bid of £20m+ would have to be considered given how well stocked we are here.

We can't afford to have three keepers of their calibre rotating. And we cant afford to lose any value on any of them.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Should we cash in?

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Stop fishing in the dark.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:17 pm

No.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 pm

Could double our money for Hart!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Absolutely not !
Cash in on Hart and one of the others....not that we would have any takers on Hart.

If we can’t get rid of Hart, we need to keep all 3 main keepers now and let Heaton and Pope fight it out for the rest of the season and then decide what to do in the summer - which will also depend on whether we have stayed up or not.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:Absolutely not !
Cash in on Hart and one of the others....not that we would have any takers on Hart.

If we can’t get rid of Hart, we need to keep all 3 main keepers now and let Heaton and Pope fight it out for the rest of the season and then decide what to do in the summer - which will also depend on whether we have stayed up or not.
You realise you just got caught.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:22 pm

No.

On today’s evidence his teammates have a lot of respect for him and the crowd are behind him.

Selling Heaton might do some serious damage to the atmosphere around the club.
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler FeedTheArf

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:24 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Great performance today from Tom and great to see him back to fitness and on form.

However with Nick Pope back in the next week or so and a more than capable back up in Hart (not to mention Lindegaard), come the end of January should we cash in?

Toms the oldest of our three keepers, wont be without suitors and has now proved that he is fit and still capable. We have the option of keeping Pope and Hart on for at least 2.5 more seasons whereas Heatons expires at the end of next.

Now is the time we could get most money for him. And a bid of £20m+ would have to be considered given how well stocked we are here.

We can't afford to have three keepers of their calibre rotating. And we cant afford to lose any value on any of them.

Sell Hart ..... yes we should

Everyone could see in the build up what Tom returning had done to the morale of the starting 11...

Also we saw 10 players celebrate scoring after the 1st goal.... not really seen that since last season.

Sorry CFC but your post is a tad tasteless tbf and only one keeper should be cashed in on and that is Joe Hart. He has filled a hole but now our Number One and Number Two fit again he should go....

Tom Heaton and Nick Pope have Burnley FC to the core.
Last edited by Bosscat on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3595 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:25 pm

What!

He’s like, a year older than Hart (I think?) and his return has (not coincidentally) just resulted in our best performance, in my opinion, of the entire year. It’s his to lose, even when Pope is fit.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:26 pm

you really do have a soft spot for Hart dont you CF :D . he doesn't catch, he punches to anywhere, he doesn't come off his line, he doesn't communicate with his back 4, he doesn't suit us at all. And in 1 match what we have been missing has been demonstrated today. Enough is enough mate :D

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Cash in on Hart??

Cant see us getting a penny for Hart as he's had another calamitous season of shipping goals for fun and bringing disaster to any club he plays for. We will struggle to give him away but best thing to do is to try and get him off the wage bill with fellow waste of spaces like Wells and Walters

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2235 times
Has Liked: 2135 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:28 pm

It's not as easy as just selling Hart...

Didn't he sign a three year deal? No chance anyone's gonna be on for signing him, well except maybe a Arab/Chinese club.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You realise you just got caught.
Aye probably !
But we definitely have a situation we need to deal with in terms of keepers. But for our current predicament January was the time to sort it. Now unless Hart wants to leave we need to tell the 3 main keepers that they will have to wait till the summer to resolve it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Looking at Southampton today - they definitely need a keeper (Like Fulham).

Not that we should sell to a rival!

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:44 pm

TVC15 wrote:Aye probably !
But we definitely have a situation we need to deal with in terms of keepers. But for our current predicament January was the time to sort it. Now unless Hart wants to leave we need to tell the 3 main keepers that they will have to wait till the summer to resolve it.
If Heaton is happy to stay and I hope he is - then we go back to Heaton/Pope as our first/second choice keepers.
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master The Enclosure

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4021 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Love it when CFC's creates a provocative topic on a Saturday night, well done Sir :lol: and many congratulations on your recent excellent news!
UTC.

For me Heats and Pope stay.... sorry Joe

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3595 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Looking at Southampton today - they definitely need a keeper (Like Fulham).

Not that we should sell to a rival!
I think we should, if it’s Hart we’re selling.

Sorry sorry, I’m bantering!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:If Heaton is happy to stay and I hope he is - then we go back to Heaton/Pope as our first/second choice keepers.
In all seriousness, completely agree.

Said in summer that Heaton would have been my number one this season. He has proved over his time with us he is confident, consistent and very good at most if not all aspects of the game. He is also the organiser he showed today that we desperately need.

Pope played well when he came in last season. But that could have been a one off. (I Dont think it was, but it could be).

I would agree with the poster above. Keep the three until summer and assess again then unless one of the two older keeper insists on leaving or we get a daft offer for any of them. (£10m+ for Hart, £20m+ for Heaton or £30m+ for Pope).

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:Love it when CFC's creates a provocative topic on a Saturday night, well done Sir :lol: and many congratulations on your recent excellent news!
UTC.

For me Heats and Pope stay.... sorry Joe
Its always too easy thats the problem. And the ironic thing is, people will still continue to bite even after this :D

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4021 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its always too easy thats the problem. And the ironic thing is, people will still continue to bite even after this :D
Hahaha good work pal! Can not wait for to see us on MOTD and see what the london luvvies say. Utd on now... we'll smash em

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:56 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:In all seriousness, completely agree.

Said in summer that Heaton would have been my number one this season. He has proved over his time with us he is confident, consistent and very good at most if not all aspects of the game. He is also the organiser he showed today that we desperately need.

Pope played well when he came in last season. But that could have been a one off. (I Dont think it was, but it could be).

I would agree with the poster above. Keep the three until summer and assess again then unless one of the two older keeper insists on leaving or we get a daft offer for any of them. (£10m+ for Hart, £20m+ for Heaton or £30m+ for Pope).
When you saw Tom at the hospital - don't suppose you could get anything out of him worth reporting? :)

His reaction today though speaks volumes - he has Burnley in his heart and I don't think wants to move, unless it's forced upon him. If we can keep both him and Pope happy, then we are sound.

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Heaton & Pope for me. Simples.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 pm

FactualFrank wrote:When you saw Tom at the hospital - don't suppose you could get anything out of him worth reporting? :)

His reaction today though speaks volumes - he has Burnley in his heart and I don't think wants to move, unless it's forced upon him. If we can keep both him and Pope happy, then we are sound.
I didnt want to pry. I Just said he deserved to be playing wherever that is and if he did leave he would go with every Burnley fans blessing and thanks.

All he said was that he wanted to play and felt he was good enough and fit enough. Which of course he is!

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 pm

More than just a goalie...conduit to all that's good about us

Boydesque
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 8 times

ASAP cash in on vokes sell him to Leeds now

Post by Boydesque » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:00 am

Straight away

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:07 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:All he said was that he wanted to play and felt he was good enough and fit enough. Which of course he is!
I would of course put it across in a way that wouldn't have made him feel awkward, but I know what you mean. He looked and from the interview sounded liked Burnley was in him and he doesn't want to move. That he's happy and wants to make the number one shirt his own. It was nice to see and hear, and for me, this is now his shirt to lose. It has to be. He's taken over the captaincy again, which a manager wouldn't do if they weren't confident - made a superb save - helped the defence - got a cleansheet - and helped the side to a win.

Welcome back. Make Pope and Hart work for the shirt.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:56 am

Have to say the thought occurred to me that SD might be putting Heaton on the shop window today.

I love Heaton to bits, but with Pope close to full fitness and Hart as back up, if we get a decent offer for Tom it’s got a fair bit of logic to it. No way are we going to keep three England keepers happy long term, and I don’t think offloading Hart is an option at the moment.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:03 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Great performance today from Tom and great to see him back to fitness and on form.

I'm sending an internet bitch slap your way for suggesting such a thing ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 am

Would be crazy to sell anyone in this transfer window. We look thin on the ground at the moment and need to be adding to the squad.

The time to sort our goalies out is the summer. Premier league survival is paramount
This user liked this post: tiger76

LTUK89
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by LTUK89 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:16 am

scouseclaret wrote:Have to say the thought occurred to me that SD might be putting Heaton on the shop window today.

I love Heaton to bits, but with Pope close to full fitness and Hart as back up, if we get a decent offer for Tom it’s got a fair bit of logic to it. No way are we going to keep three England keepers happy long term, and I don’t think offloading Hart is an option at the moment.
You don’t have much respect for Dyche if you think he would put someone ‘in the shop window’ for a must win game.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:31 am

But please let's only name 3 keepers in the 25.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 am

Don't want to knock Hart but it was noticeable sometime ago that the back four were missing the guidance and verbal communication of Tom, I haven't really seen any of that from Joe. Yesterday was back to the organisation of old and the confidence in our players was there for all to see. I would be unhappy to see Tom leave and if one has to go then it's Joe for me but with him being a recent signing I realise that's going to be difficult.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 am

I think it will be an interesting early 2019 and definitely summer as regards to our keeping options. Unless someone comes in for Hart in January then I can't see us selling anyone. No one knows how Nick will be after his injury, so we would be mad to let Heaton leave and nobody is likely to pay top price for Nick until he is back and playing well.

Ideal situation for us is Heaton to keep playing well in the league, Pope to guide our FA Cup side to win the Cup :lol: :lol: and then we have European football to keep both keepers playing plenty of football next year so they can both go to the European Championships :D

Oh and sell Joe Hart in summer to and Arab team for treble what we paid.

Think 14 days of drinking may have taken its toll a little :lol:

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 am

On Vydra Wells and Hart? definately

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 am

scouseclaret wrote:Have to say the thought occurred to me that SD might be putting Heaton on the shop window today.

Offloading Hart is a no1 priority imo, he created mayhem and was well on his way to ruining the club. Under no circumstances should we let Tom or nick leave. Would take too long to go into why's and what for's but yesterday's change was a no brainer and has been for sometime, not saying the reasons were right or wrong but the whole atmosphere changed.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:56 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:Offloading Hart is a no1 priority imo, he created mayhem and was well on his way to ruining the club. Under no circumstances should we let Tom or nick leave. Would take too long to go into why's and what for's but yesterday's change was a no brainer and has been for sometime, not saying the reasons were right or wrong but the whole atmosphere changed.
On the way to ruining the club? Give over with the melodrama.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6849 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:46 am

We might be able to loan Hart at best.

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 am

Goalkeepers can play till there 40 if they look after themselves. After yesterday why would anyone think about cashing in on him?? Heads gone.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:14 am

I would expect JH to have one of the top agents, who right now has been challenged with getting his client out of Burnley... wouldn't be a shock if he was to move on

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 am

It could also be suggested that Tom needs to be back in the starting line up if Hart has indicated that his move to Burnley hasn't worked out in the way he envisaged, perhaps he's asked SD if anything could be organised in this transfer window.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:42 am

Why would Hart be thinking it hasn’t worked out? He came to Burnley to get regular first team football and until yesterday, that’s what he’s been getting.

Opinion is divided over the extent to which he is responsible for our defensive slump this season, but I’m pretty sure Joe Hart won’t be blaming Joe Hart.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 am

FactualFrank wrote:If Heaton is happy to stay and I hope he is - then we go back to Heaton/Pope as our first/second choice keepers.
Short term,I agree but even that has no longevity. Obviously, we can't keep three keepers of that calibre but neither can we keep two. If fully fit then both have to be playing regularly.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2335 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm

When Pope is back fully fit, should we not consider the " Clemence/Shilton " solution of the 1970's England set up and alternate Tom and Nick each week ?? :D :D

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:10 pm

The only cashing in we need to do is to capitalise on yesterdays improved all round performance.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Selling Tom would be this generations equivalent of Jimmy Mc
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

whiffa
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 2597 times

Post by whiffa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Before today I've always thought Tom Heaton was our best keeper. Plus he's our captain. I'd rather sell all our other keepers than see him leave. Argueably our best player in the last 20 years. An unpopular opinion I expect.

Don't get me wrong Pope was fantastic last season, but Tom is more than just a goalkeeper for us.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Hart to China

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm

scouseclaret wrote:Why would Hart be thinking it hasn’t worked out? He came to Burnley to get regular first team football and until yesterday, that’s what he’s been getting.

Opinion is divided over the extent to which he is responsible for our defensive slump this season, but I’m pretty sure Joe Hart won’t be blaming Joe Hart.
It's not about Joe Hart being responsible or to blame, it's looking at the wider context of the number of circumstances that has lead to the overall slump in form. The Burnley so far this season is not the same as last, the one he may have thought he was joining. Team performance wise, It's kind of West Ham all over again and that's not what he signed up to. For that reason, it is quite understandable that he may think it's not working out.