Maupay

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Maupay

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 am

Apparently in the crowd at the match tonight.
Wonder if it’s to watch burnley or Huddersfield.

Just the kind of striker we are looking for if it is to watch burnley.

jedi_master
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 427 times
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Maupay

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:41 am

Has been linked with Huddersfield before today, so seems more likely them than us.

I agree though, he has looked really good this season particularly and is a great age. Would be nice to be linked with a player like him.

alboclaret
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 pm
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Maupay

Post by alboclaret » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:41 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 613149.amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LawsCanalJump
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 pm
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Re: Maupay

Post by LawsCanalJump » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:52 am

A financial agreement with a player before KO tonight would really get everybody in the mood!!

dermotdermot
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 pm
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Re: Maupay

Post by dermotdermot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 am

How do you know he’s ‘in the crowd’ when there’s still about ten hours until kickoff?

ClaretTony
Posts: 34003
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 15351 times
Has Liked: 2942 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am

LawsCanalJump wrote:A financial agreement with a player before KO tonight would really get everybody in the mood!!
Don't hold you breath, Garlick has already said we'll have to play a waiting game so any moves in the market are likely to be at the end of January.

Jakubs Tash
Posts: 1146
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 pm
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 am

ClaretTony wrote:Don't hold you breath, Garlick has already said we'll have to play a waiting game so any moves in the market are likely to be at the end of January.
At least we haven't got any crucial games in January then...

Wasn't it playing the waiting game that hurt our recruitment so badly in the summer window? And the reluctance to spend a little extra to get deals done?
These 3 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 FCBurnley JohnDearyMe

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2253 times
Has Liked: 461 times
Location: Earth

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:45 am

Where's this info come from? Source? Or is it just another lot of made up crap?

ClaretTony
Posts: 34003
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 15351 times
Has Liked: 2942 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:At least we haven't got any crucial games in January then...

Wasn't it playing the waiting game that hurt our recruitment so badly in the summer window? And the reluctance to spend a little extra to get deals done?
No idea why we didn't get what we wanted in the summer but we will always wait and see, that's what Garlick said in the match programme. Never seen anything that said there was a reluctance to spend a little extra, unless you believe some of the posters on here.

ClaretTony
Posts: 34003
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 15351 times
Has Liked: 2942 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:47 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Where's this info come from? Source? Or is it just another lot of made up crap?
If you mean Maupay, he's been linked with Huddersfield for a while now.

claretspice
Posts: 4444
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 1987 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Maupay

Post by claretspice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 am

ClaretTony wrote:No idea why we didn't get what we wanted in the summer but we will always wait and see, that's what Garlick said in the match programme. Never seen anything that said there was a reluctance to spend a little extra, unless you believe some of the posters on here.
Waiting and seeing almost inevitably is a result of being unwilling to pay the premium which goes with diving in a bit earlier, isn't it?

An awful lot of talk in the summer that the deals for Dawson and Rodriguez were done in principle with the players, and it was our unwillingness to pay the fee that scuppered them.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 BOYSIE31

jlup1980
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 pm
Been Liked: 734 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Re: Maupay

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:Apparently in the crowd at the match tonight.
Wonder if it’s to watch burnley or Huddersfield.

Just the kind of striker we are looking for if it is to watch burnley.
I've been saying for a while we should go for this lad and Watkins from Brentford. It makes even more sense if Huddersfield want him. Surely he'd favour us over them, especially if we win tonight, as they'll be all but relegated.

ClaretTony
Posts: 34003
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 15351 times
Has Liked: 2942 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am

claretspice wrote:Waiting and seeing almost inevitably is a result of being unwilling to pay the premium which goes with diving in a bit earlier, isn't it?

An awful lot of talk in the summer that the deals for Dawson and Rodriguez were done in principle with the players, and it was our unwillingness to pay the fee that scuppered them.
Yes, a lot of talk, but I know that a deal certainly wasn't even close with one of them.

Waiting and seeing is because we don't want to pay the premium, sometimes it might just get us a player because we've waited. It's the way we do it and we have to accept that.

claretblue
Posts: 4486
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm
Been Liked: 1293 times
Has Liked: 784 times
Location: cloud 9 since Dyche appointed

Re: Maupay

Post by claretblue » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:54 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:Apparently in the crowd at the match tonight
away end? :?

he can have my seat!

... :D

UTC

claretspice
Posts: 4444
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 1987 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Maupay

Post by claretspice » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 am

ClaretTony wrote:Yes, a lot of talk, but I know that a deal certainly wasn't even close with one of them.

Waiting and seeing is because we don't want to pay the premium, sometimes it might just get us a player because we've waited. It's the way we do it and we have to accept that.
Totally understand that it's the way we do things, but it doesn't mean it''s not open to some scrutiny, especially when we see other clubs acting more decisively.
These 4 users liked this post: Jakubs Tash Belgianclaret Silkyskills1 BOYSIE31

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2253 times
Has Liked: 461 times
Location: Earth

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:If you mean Maupay, he's been linked with Huddersfield for a while now.
That's he going to be in the crowd.

ClaretTony
Posts: 34003
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 15351 times
Has Liked: 2942 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:57 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:That's he going to be in the crowd.
I don't think the media have got as far as linking players with being in the crowd yet :D

Stevie Morgan
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 am
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Stevie Morgan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:04 am

Perhaps it's time, given our precarious league position, squad deficiencies and relatively healthy financial position, that we started a paying a premium to get players over the line earlier.
These 4 users liked this post: Jakubs Tash Rumpelstiltskin JohnDearyMe BOYSIE31

Quickenthetempo
Posts: 9529
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 2123 times
Has Liked: 1208 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:23 am

The only problem with the wait and see approach is that transfer fees just keep going up and up. Or if the fee does come down someone just pays the rest to raise his wage up.

TVC15
Posts: 6547
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2669 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Re: Maupay

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 am

Wait and see ?
Wait for what exactly ?
The best players to go to other clubs
Playing 4 or 5 more games with the current squad
Prices to come down
Another months interest on our bank balance
Rigg to work out the market
Etc etc

If you start talking to agents and players before the transfer window opens (which must be widespread whether it’s against the rules or not) then it’s not necessarily the case that you end up paying a premium for getting the player at the start of the window - we didn’t with Keane for example. If anything surely waiting till the deadline day scrum when teams are desperate pushes the price up ?

Can’t believe that the club never seem to learn or think that the way they do things is the best financial model. Would be a very interesting comparison to look at the success / failure of our deals done early v the late ones.
These 3 users liked this post: winsomeyen Silkyskills1 RoystonVasey

Steve1956
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2845 times
Has Liked: 1416 times
Location: Fife

Re: Maupay

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:Apparently in the crowd at the match tonight.
Wonder if it’s to watch burnley or Huddersfield.

Just the kind of striker we are looking for if it is to watch burnley.
As you can apparently look into the future,where in the league do we finish in May?

Newcastleclaret93
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am

Nice sarcastic comment Steve.
I Didn’t realise that posting rumours is not allowed on a football forum.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: Maupay

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 am

ClaretTony wrote:Don't hold you breath, Garlick has already said we'll have to play a waiting game so any moves in the market are likely to be at the end of January.
Absolutely **** poor if true.

We have 2 crucial games in january. 1 winnable away tie and a free hit type at Old Trafford. As well as another free hit in Barnsley.

We need to show intent in those games against Fulham and Huddersfield.

And knowing how long it takes for us to get new signings fit and ready, we need to use the barnsley and united games to get them up to speed for Southampton etc in february before a very very tough run in.

Our policy is **** poor. And how weve not learn from past mistakes is beyond me.

Whats the aim? See if fees miraculously come down?
See if targets miraculously dont go elsewhere?
See if players are desperate to come to burnley on 31st january?
Save a few weeks wages?

Theres no excuse for it. And no defending it.

As well as we have done in the last 5 years, theres no denying that our transfer strategy is shocking on so many ways. We are just lucky we have such an excellent manager who just gets on and works with those limitations.

We have needed players since LAST january never mind this. As results have proven.


Little old Burnley.
These 14 users liked this post: claretfern winsomeyen gandhisflipflop Andingle Silkyskills1 FCBurnley RoystonVasey Rumpelstiltskin criminalclaret Dazzler JohnDearyMe kentonclaret Blackburnclaret Dom

Quickenthetempo
Posts: 9529
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 2123 times
Has Liked: 1208 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:19 pm

Garlick certainly won't be signing anybody today, he's on the canal walking to Huddersfield for charity.

Silkyskills1
Posts: 3252
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:39 pm
Been Liked: 888 times
Has Liked: 1273 times
Location: Rawtenstall

Re: Maupay

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Perhaps it's a case of see what's left in late January and then just nip in and claim a 'scoop' for a player 'we've been chasing for a while'. In my naivety and lack of inside knowledge of club dealings I would have thought that urgency was of the upmost importance in this window. Apparently not. Amazing what one victory in 12 can create.

FCBurnley
Posts: 3933
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 473 times

Re: Maupay

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:47 pm

We would never sign anybody called Maupay, maybe his bro Lesspay would be our level
These 3 users liked this post: Steddyman Hipper Cleveleys_claret

Burnley Ace
Posts: 1379
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:03 pm
Been Liked: 273 times
Has Liked: 1301 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:48 pm

It’s “wait and see” because no matter what sort of premium you offer most clubs won’t sell until the replacement is lined up. The only clubs that sell at the beginning of the month are for players that aren’t good enough for them.

A club comes in for Heaton - do we sell know or wait for Pope to be fit?
This user liked this post: quoonbeatz

criminalclaret
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:14 pm
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Re: Maupay

Post by criminalclaret » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Absolutely **** poor if true..... theres no denying that our transfer strategy is shocking on so many ways. We are just lucky we have such an excellent manager who just gets on and works with those limitations.
I hate to say it but I agree whole heartedly with all of your comments above.

We didn't always use to buy early. I remember my dad running into my room on NYD 2007 telling me Ade Akinbiyi had re-signed for us. I think Hendrick was mid-month as well. So we have done some early transfers.

But yeah, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but it does sound like we're generally 3/4 option for a "impressive" player in demand and we go in once the bigger teams have tried and failed. Henri Lansbury springs to me (was that 3 bids declined? All of which were like 100k more every bid)

Barry_Chuckle
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:24 pm
Been Liked: 461 times
Has Liked: 193 times
Location: Oldfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Maupay

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:38 pm

criminalclaret wrote:I think Hendrick was mid-month as well
If I remember Hendrick went on for ages and finally signed at the 11th hour.

TheFamilyCat
Posts: 5542
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Re: Maupay

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:It’s “wait and see” because no matter what sort of premium you offer most clubs won’t sell until the replacement is lined up. The only clubs that sell at the beginning of the month are for players that aren’t good enough for them.

A club comes in for Heaton - do we sell know or wait for Pope to be fit?
Also a player may well bide his time to see if there’s interest from a more desirable club.

Blackrod
Posts: 4784
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm
Been Liked: 1232 times
Has Liked: 445 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:01 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Absolutely **** poor if true.

We have 2 crucial games in january. 1 winnable away tie and a free hit type at Old Trafford. As well as another free hit in Barnsley.

We need to show intent in those games against Fulham and Huddersfield.

And knowing how long it takes for us to get new signings fit and ready, we need to use the barnsley and united games to get them up to speed for Southampton etc in february before a very very tough run in.

Our policy is **** poor. And how weve not learn from past mistakes is beyond me.

Whats the aim? See if fees miraculously come down?
See if targets miraculously dont go elsewhere?
See if players are desperate to come to burnley on 31st january?
Save a few weeks wages?

Theres no excuse for it. And no defending it.

As well as we have done in the last 5 years, theres no denying that our transfer strategy is shocking on so many ways. We are just lucky we have such an excellent manager who just gets on and works with those limitations.

We have needed players since LAST january never mind this. As results have proven.


Little old Burnley.
I'm reliably informed that the fax machine is not due back from the repairers until the 31st Jan.

Reckoner
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 pm
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Reckoner » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Also a player may well bide his time to see if there’s interest from a more desirable club.

This is very true - the selling club and player are likely to always want to see what other offers may come through that are preferable.

jedi_master
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 427 times
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Maupay

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Garlick won't say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 'wait and see' to see how we do in the Huddersfield/Fulham games.

For arguments sake, we lose them both (not impossible), what then? Why would we be trying to sign Matt Phillips etc when facing (if that happened) almost certain relegation?

If we take 6 points from those games then it's a different story and I would expect it is at that point that the targets will be chased, at this point we have to be cautious as we could be signing players on Premier League contracts for Premier League fees for them to be playing against Rotherham.

I know that reads pessimistically, just trying to get inside Mike Garlick's head - I am sure he is thinking at least partly like this.

TheFamilyCat
Posts: 5542
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Re: Maupay

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 pm

I’m pretty sure we will have relegation clauses although I also appreciate that this isn’t a great selling point to a player.

Taking your theory a step further, maybe he thinks if we do get 6 points from those games we don’t need anyone.

jedi_master
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 427 times
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Maupay

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:I’m pretty sure we will have relegation clauses although I also appreciate that this isn’t a great selling point to a player.

Taking your theory a step further, maybe he thinks if we do get 6 points from those games we don’t need anyone.
There might be clauses but if you are a prospective player to sign for us, would you not be considering waiting on the outcome of those games to get a good idea of what your salary is likely to be long term and what division you're likely to be playing in?

If I am Matt Phillips, and I am on (arguments sake) £35k a week at WBA currently, Burnley get a bid accepted and offer to match the salary and give me a signing on fee with good bonuses on survival in the Premier League etc, I would probably wait myself to see how Burnley do in their next two games before I considered it. Even moreso if my salary drops to £20k a week if we go down.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

TheFamilyCat
Posts: 5542
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Re: Maupay

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:06 pm

jedi_master wrote:There might be clauses but if you are a prospective player to sign for us, would you not be considering waiting on the outcome of those games to get a good idea of what your salary is likely to be long term and what division you're likely to be playing in?

If I am Matt Phillips, and I am on (arguments sake) £35k a week at WBA currently, Burnley get a bid accepted and offer to match the salary and give me a signing on fee with good bonuses on survival in the Premier League etc, I would probably wait myself to see how Burnley do in their next two games before I considered it. Even moreso if my salary drops to £20k a week if we go down.
That’s a fair point but your post I was replying to referred to BFC waiting and seeing rather than the players we may be interested in.

criminalclaret
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:14 pm
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Re: Maupay

Post by criminalclaret » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm

There's a lot of sense, for this current window, any player wanting to see how we a fair come 2 weeks time.

This doesn't however explain our strategy for the last 2 windows when we had qualified for Europe or were well well safe in the PL.

You have the likes of Cahill wanting to go on loan for the rest of the season, Defoe about to leave etc. Do you bite the bullet chucking huge wages at 6 months knowing it's a pittance if they contribute to another year in the PL?

Boro tried it with Negredo a few seasons ago and it was a sensible thing to do....had it worked they'd have paid £4.6m for one season to stay in the PL.

To put that into perspective, Chris Wood pro rata costs us £3.5 m a year ( + wages) and we will be paying for him for the next 2 1/2 years. Same with Gibson and Vydra if ( and hopefully it won't happen) we were relegated.

Short terms loans aren't to be snubbed at when you need propping up for 6 months like we do.

Sleeping Cat
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 am
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Sleeping Cat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 am

One of the main factors in us having to wait, which often gets overlooked is the players (and their agents) wanting the best deal for themselves.

If we're looking at potentially signing a player, the player knows it.

He also knows the other clubs who are potentially in for his signature.

If there's an offer on the table with us at 30k a week, but there's chance of 40k/50k a week at Newcastle, Palace or Fulham the player is likely to wait to see if one of the other teams come in for him. If they do, chances are he'll go to the one offering higher wages. If not cue the "As soon as I heard they were in for me I wanted to join" speech.

dibraidio
Posts: 830
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:34 pm
Been Liked: 314 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Re: Maupay

Post by dibraidio » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:41 am

FCBurnley wrote:We would never sign anybody called Maupay, maybe his bro Lesspay would be our level
We've had a few managers who've tried sending subliminal messages like this to the board. Stan Ternent played a centre back pairing of Moore & Brass and Owen Coyle signed Frederic Nimani.

JTClaret
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 am
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 74 times

Re: Maupay

Post by JTClaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am

ClaretTony wrote:Waiting and seeing is because we don't want to pay the premium, sometimes it might just get us a player because we've waited. It's the way we do it and we have to accept that.
I appreciate that in the normal world this works and is the right thing to do. However, the club must have realised by now that's not how the transfer market works. It's not a premium, its the price - it's not going to drop, we may be able to negotiate, but that only seems to work when we aren't going to be upset if it doesn't come off. All we ever end up doing is starting the transfer gossip... and we rarely get what we want once that starts.

Aclaret
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:16 pm
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 448 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Aclaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 am

Hope he enjoyed the game if he was in the crowd :D

CombatClaret
Posts: 2870
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1323 times
Has Liked: 640 times

Re: Maupay

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:06 am

jedi_master wrote:If I am Matt Phillips, and I am on (arguments sake) £35k a week at WBA currently, Burnley get a bid accepted and offer to match the salary and give me a signing on fee with good bonuses on survival in the Premier League etc, I would probably wait myself to see how Burnley do in their next two games before I considered it. Even moreso if my salary drops to £20k a week if we go down.
And If I'm your agent I'm telling you let's 'wait and see' who else comes in for you before we make any decisions, because I know Burnley aren't all that rich.

People assuming it's just us that has a say on when we sign people.

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2253 times
Has Liked: 461 times
Location: Earth

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 am

dibraidio wrote:We've had a few managers who've tried sending subliminal messages like this to the board. Stan Ternent played a centre back pairing of Moore & Brass and Owen Coyle signed Frederic Nimani.
Wasn't it Laws who signed Niamni?

Sleeping Cat
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 am
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Sleeping Cat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:23 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Wasn't it Laws who signed Niamni?
Signed under Laws, but wasn't really any managers signing. He was proposed to the club by an agent who had a friend on the board, similar to Dane Richards.

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6685
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2253 times
Has Liked: 461 times
Location: Earth

Re: Maupay

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am

Bizarre signing. He came on against Man UTD away if I remember.

tiger76
Posts: 5597
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 2425 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Maupay

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am

If Maupay wants PL football Huddersfield's not the place to go,we should raid our feeder club again.

Sausage
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am
Been Liked: 615 times
Has Liked: 399 times
Location: London

Re: Maupay

Post by Sausage » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm

dibraidio wrote:We've had a few managers who've tried sending subliminal messages like this to the board. Stan Ternent played a centre back pairing of Moore & Brass and Owen Coyle signed Frederic Nimani.
A bit like the Heath Robinson forward line we had under Jimmy Mullen.

piston broke
Posts: 5558
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:40 pm
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times
Location: Ferkham Hall

Re: Maupay

Post by piston broke » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Anybody who has seen Sunderland til I Die or the Chris Wilder deadline day piece on Sky last year should know it isn’t all the clubs fault. Agents and players are at it for the best deal at the best club. We will always be at the bottom end of the PL list. Leaving us to pick up quality Championship players who want to impress other clubs whilst with us. We aren’t going to be throwing out 60/70k/week deals for a year or two yet.

BOYSIE31
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Re: Maupay

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Yes, a lot of talk, but I know that a deal certainly wasn't even close with one of them.

Waiting and seeing is because we don't want to pay the premium, sometimes it might just get us a player because we've waited. It's the way we do it and we have to accept that.
And that is why we struggle to land targets - we are in the big league and sometimes you have to push that little bit further.

Foulthrow
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 568 times
Has Liked: 1173 times

Re: Maupay

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Excuse me for being a bit dim but who is this Maupay bloke? I've never heard of him....

Post Reply