Team v Barnsley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Re: Team v Barnsley

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Actually, playing Agyei wide is a good shout. Lad needs some first team football and he's come on in that position for the first team before now (away at Liverpool springs to mind).

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 am

dsr wrote:You speak for yourself.
I wasn't speaking for myself. I'd like a cup run, but we all know that the FA Cup isn't a priority for Dyche or the club, and that the Fulham game is far more important to us all.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:11 am

Sewell
Bamford
Taylor
Boyle
Halley
Watson
Nesbitt
Mosscrop
Lindley
Hodgson
Freeman

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:21 am

nil_desperandum wrote:I wasn't speaking for myself. I'd like a cup run, but we all know that the FA Cup isn't a priority for Dyche or the club, and that the Fulham game is far more important to us all.
I don't think it is. I agree it is to Sean Dyche and to the directors, but I'm not sure it is to the [layers, and I'm certain it isn't to me.

The players want money, yes. But they've already got money. Anyone who has played Premier League football for three years is set for life, unless they're stupid with it. But what else do players want? Medals. They aren't looking forward to showing their grandchildren copies of league tables showing that they finished 16th. They want Cup Final videos and medals.

And for me, the prospect of games against Fulham being of vital importance because it means we can play Southampton next year, does not bring excitement. I want a cup final.

It's all this sports science that's doing it. Ten years ago, Burnley had 8 players who started 47 or more games. You would think sports science would enable them to play more, but it doesn't - all sports science does is persuade them that players can't play that many. They look at the stats that say Alexander, aged 37, played 61 games, but they look at the scientists and the scientists say you can't play that many. In practice, you can play 61 matches, but in theory, you can't. Sports scientists are the new gods and (regardless of actual facts) they cannot be allowed to be wrong.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:48 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Sewell
Bamford
Taylor
Boyle
Halley
Watson
Nesbitt
Mosscrop
Lindley
Hodgson
Freeman
Bit lacking in pace that team

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:51 am

Surprised everyone's picking Lowton, considering Bardsley may be out for a bit. One injury (or more likely red card) and God knows who plays right back against Schurrle and Sessegnon.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Stick with 4-4-2.

Midfield four for the first 60 minutes then have Westwood, Cork and Taylor ready to replace any signs of fatigue.

Pope
Lowton Long Gibson Ward
JBG Defour Hendrick McNeil
Vokes Vydra

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Pope

Lowton Long Gibson Ward

Hendrick Defour Cork Taylor

Vokes VYdra

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Pope
Lowton
Long
Gibson
Ward
Hendrick
Defour
Cork
Taylor
Vydra
Vokes

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:33 pm

dsr wrote:I don't think it is. I agree it is to Sean Dyche and to the directors, but I'm not sure it is to the [layers, and I'm certain it isn't to me.

The players want money, yes. But they've already got money. Anyone who has played Premier League football for three years is set for life, unless they're stupid with it. But what else do players want? Medals. They aren't looking forward to showing their grandchildren copies of league tables showing that they finished 16th. They want Cup Final videos and medals.

And for me, the prospect of games against Fulham being of vital importance because it means we can play Southampton next year, does not bring excitement. I want a cup final.

It's all this sports science that's doing it. Ten years ago, Burnley had 8 players who started 47 or more games. You would think sports science would enable them to play more, but it doesn't - all sports science does is persuade them that players can't play that many. They look at the stats that say Alexander, aged 37, played 61 games, but they look at the scientists and the scientists say you can't play that many. In practice, you can play 61 matches, but in theory, you can't. Sports scientists are the new gods and (regardless of actual facts) they cannot be allowed to be wrong.
You are only as good as your competition.

If I had to take a wild guess I would say that the thing our players crave the most is the opportunity to test themselves against the very best opponents. A full season in the Premier League allows them to do that in 38 matches a year, which requires them to raise their game and make the most of their potential.

It surfaces in the press releases made by the players and the club. They don't have to play they want to play, because it provides them with the stimulus to become the best that they can be.

A medal or cup that is won easily is a medal or a cup that isn't worth having. While we might not win every game, we have players that have a strong winning mentality. They relish the ongoing challenge that the Premier League affords them, because it feeds their competitive spirits.

When the time comes for them to hang up their boots, they want to be able look at the bloke in the mirror staring back at them without regret, having held nothing back.

They want to be able to tell that bloke that they played their best and faced down the best. Trinkets and shiny baubles fade with time, but the knowledge that you were good or great is something that can never be taken away from you. It's what separates the winners from those that just turned up.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm

dsr wrote:I don't think it is. I agree it is to Sean Dyche and to the directors, but I'm not sure it is to the [layers, and I'm certain it isn't to me.

This is a good point. Silverware goes in the history books forever and something family could be proud of in the future not bank statements or payslips. As an example do we remember what someone's daft salary was in the city in the 80s or what someone achieved in the 80s. I am sure achievement is a motivator.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:56 pm

Pope
Lowton
Long
Gibson
Ward
Gudmundsson
Westwood
Hendrick
McNeil
Vydra
Vokes

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Bit lacking in pace that team
You're right. I just haven't thought it through properly. :)

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Pope (if fit) or Lindegaard
Lowton, Long, Gibson,Ward, Koiki
JBG, Defour, Hendrick,
Vokes, Vydra.

I'd seriously consider more of the youths/under 23's for this one if they are allowed.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:12 am

Wouldn't want to play Gudmundson or McNeill today....we just cannot afford them to get injured with Fulham coming up.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 am

Adamsoruri88 wrote:Pope
Lowton long Gibson ward
Jbg Hendrick Defour McNeil
Vokes vydra
This is the line up that SD has sort of hinted at