Seaborne Freight

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Re: Seaborne Freight

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:He's Brexit ready then!
Unless he falls ill and needs drugs. But maybe that's why he's got the guns.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Work to make it & make it to work it, easy peasey, everything will sort itself out, the only problems which appears apparent is, poo pro remain propaganda.
Exactly, easy peasy is this Brexit stuff. You just have to want it enough.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:29 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Unless he falls ill and needs drugs. But maybe that's why he's got the guns.
These druids are grinding dandelions to cure ailments.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:21 pm

aggi wrote:Exactly, easy peasy is this Brexit stuff. You just have to want it enough.
You can all yib yab jabber jabber until the cows come home, won’t alter or detract from the fact, a simple yes or no question got asked, & a simple yes or no answer got delivered. Extremely simple concept don’t comprehend the Herculean effort to grasp.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:40 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:You can all yib yab jabber jabber until the cows come home, won’t alter or detract from the fact, a simple yes or no question got asked, ......
And that's where all the trouble started, because it was phrased as a simple question whereas there is no simple solution. All the main advocates of "leave" such as Johnson knew this, and that's why they all jumped ship as soon as they realised they'd accidentally won.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:And that's where all the trouble started, because it was phrased as a simple question whereas there is no simple solution. All the main advocates of "leave" such as Johnson knew this, and that's why they all jumped ship as soon as they realised they'd accidentally won.
https://youtu.be/2AzEY6ZqkuE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:https://youtu.be/2AzEY6ZqkuE :lol:
Well
We have a Jackubite here now. You lowland traitors.

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:47 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:You can all yib yab jabber jabber until the cows come home, won’t alter or detract from the fact, a simple yes or no question got asked, & a simple yes or no answer got delivered. Extremely simple concept don’t comprehend the Herculean effort to grasp.
It's a fair point, we should have just left the day after the vote. I'd sacrifice stuff like food and electricity for sovereignty any day of the week.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:48 am

Its a fallacy to say that leave voters didn't have a clue what they were voting for, but in some cases its absolutely 100% accurate.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:18 am

Think its safe to say that the No Deal preparations need some work

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1082146978308476928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 am

He is an oddball that Grayling but apparently very supportive of re-opening the Colne to Skipton railway line. Let's hope he gets that sorted before thrown out of office.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:09 am

Be interesting to see just how many of the closed railway lines re-open.

We've got the old Lancaster to Yorkshire one pretty much outside our house, and its now a very popular cycle route.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Be interesting to see just how many of the closed railway lines re-open.

We've got the old Lancaster to Yorkshire one pretty much outside our house, and its now a very popular cycle route.
With the amount of traffic on the roads we need to get public transport used as much as we can.

The only problem is Public transport costs the government money and putting fuel in the car makes them fortunes.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 am

You are not wrong

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am

AndrewJB wrote:It’s not that simple. Our membership of the EU involves us in 55 areas of cooperation. Flights - of them in and out of the country depend on the agreement we are part of as the EU. Police cooperation - as was on here around Xmas. We can’t just stay in these and leave the EU, as this would be like keeping all the benefits without any responsibilities. And if we leave these areas without replacement agreements, there will be utter chaos.
You talk as if the benefit is all one way. Are you saying that if BA and Lufthansa both have flights Heathrow to Frankfurt, then the UK ought to pay Germany because it's a UK benefit? Seems to me there are benefits on both sides.

Same with the police. I know the USA don't pay for the mutual sharing of anti-terrorist information with the UK, or with the EU. It's deemed a benefit to both sides. Are you saying that after Brexit we can continue sharing with the USA but not with the EU? Or that every time we tell them anything useful, we must send them a cheque as well or they will refuse to use it?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its a fallacy to say that leave voters didn't have a clue what they were voting for, but in some cases its absolutely 100% accurate.
As it is for some who voted remain. But I take your point; an unfocused, unknowing protest vote isn't going to be for the status quo.

That said, there comes a point where the "education" of the electorate until they see things "right" looks like a rejection of democracy.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Be interesting to see just how many of the closed railway lines re-open.

Lots of lost cycle routes around that could be reopened too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39847740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am

As it is for some who voted remain. But I take your point; an unfocused, unknowing protest vote isn't going to be for the status quo.

That said, there comes a point where the "education" of the electorate until they see things "right" looks like a rejection of democracy.
My fault that you've assumed I'm generalising so I apologise.

It was meant to be seen as a comment to be directed at Jakubs post, but I didn't copy his post so its not as clear as I'd want it to be.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 am

My argument to that would be something this complex shouldn't be decided based on the vast majority not having enough knowledge about what it actually involves.

Which is why I reluctantly don't want anymore referendums and acknowledge that we probably have to go for Mays deal*

*but I'd take another referendum over a "No Deal" 100% of the time.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:My argument to that would be something this complex shouldn't be decided based on the vast majority not having enough knowledge about what it actually involves.

Which is why I reluctantly don't want anymore referendums and acknowledge that we probably have to go for Mays deal*

I know the counterargument is "it's only for 5 years" but the same applies to a GE; who could possibly have enough knowledge to vote sensibly across that many policy areas?
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am

dsr wrote:You talk as if the benefit is all one way. Are you saying that if BA and Lufthansa both have flights Heathrow to Frankfurt, then the UK ought to pay Germany because it's a UK benefit? Seems to me there are benefits on both sides.

Same with the police. I know the USA don't pay for the mutual sharing of anti-terrorist information with the UK, or with the EU. It's deemed a benefit to both sides. Are you saying that after Brexit we can continue sharing with the USA but not with the EU? Or that every time we tell them anything useful, we must send them a cheque as well or they will refuse to use it?
My point is that walking away without a deal takes us out of all of these areas of cooperation, and therefore isn't "easy peasy". Fifty-five of these areas of cooperation exist, and our involvement in them officially ends if we leave without a deal. Those who advocate "just walking away" are reckless vandals. Thankfully, there isn't a majority of these idiots in parliament and I don't think it will be allowed to happen.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:My argument to that would be something this complex shouldn't be decided based on the vast majority not having enough knowledge about what it actually involves.

What about No deal then we get a lot better deal than Mays in a 1 to 2 years time?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am

I know the counterargument is "it's only for 5 years" but the same applies to a GE; who could possibly have enough knowledge to vote sensibly across that many policy areas?
It is! I tend to glance at the various manifestos but I'm well aware that is probably more than most do!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am

What about No deal then we get a lot better deal than Mays in a 1 to 2 years time?
Why would we?

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:58 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:What about No deal then we get a lot better deal than Mays in a 1 to 2 years time?
So what do we do for the next 2 years whilst we are outside all these arrangements / agreements and effectively paralysed in many everyday things that we take for granted?
Why would the EU want a crippled country back?
Maybe what you mean is revoke Article 50 now, and tell the EU that there will be 2 years of hard negotiations during which we will prepare PROPERLY for a No deal, and if we don't get the deal that we would like from the EU in that 2 years then we'll have a properly "managed" no deal. (Though technically there's no such thing as a "managed no deal".)

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:So what do we do for the next 2 years whilst we are outside all these arrangements / agreements and effectively paralysed in many everyday things that we take for granted?
Why would the EU want a crippled country back?
Maybe what you mean is revoke Article 50 now, and tell the EU that there will be 2 years of hard negotiations during which we will prepare PROPERLY for a No deal, and if we don't get the deal that we would like from the EU in that 2 years then we'll have a properly "managed" no deal. (Though technically there's no such thing as a "managed no deal".)
Crippled? We're in a far better position than EU country bar Germany.
France was going bankrupt before the country was rioting. How does it come back from 6 weeks worth?

Basic deals could be done more or less straightaway.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:What about No deal then we get a lot better deal than Mays in a 1 to 2 years time?
Would you agree with huge tax rises on the rich during that time period in order to ensure nobody out of work, sick, old, young, or poor suffered during that two years?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:21 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Would you agree with huge tax rises on the rich during that time period in order to ensure nobody out of work, sick, old, young, or poor suffered during that two years?
It wouldn't bother me as I'm not rich but seeing as most company bosses I speak too can't get enough people in for the jobs they need, I would be surprised if there was mass job losses. Especially as all the foreigners are leaving on 29th March (allegedly) :?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Would you agree with huge tax rises on the rich during that time period in order to ensure nobody out of work, sick, old, young, or poor suffered during that two years?
And to think a yes/no answer on Brexit is criticised for being too simplistic...

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

thatdberight wrote:And to think a yes/no answer on Brexit is criticised for being too simplistic...
I was just curious to see how 'all in it together' we all are.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:57 pm

AndrewJB wrote:I was just curious to see how 'all in it together' we all are.
The country has always been divided or we would be ruled by a centrist party.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Crippled? We're in a far better position than EU country bar Germany.
France was going bankrupt before the country was rioting. How does it come back from 6 weeks worth?

Basic deals could be done more or less straightaway.
Ah, so you're not in favour of "no deal" then.
And, I didn't say that we are currently crippled, my implication was that if we have no deals with the EU for 2 years then we'll be crippled. No flights for a start and no agreements on borders / security etc. In fact as someone else posted: issues in 55 key areas that would be unresolved.
It's strange that when pressed on it so many "no dealers" actually do want deals to be done.
And let's not forget that many of the arrangements / agreements we currently have with the US and other countries are arranged via the EU, and they need to be renegotiated as well.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:02 pm

AndrewJB wrote:I was just curious to see how 'all in it together' we all are.
We are. Within bounds. In all but a completely Marxist society, that's the case. And in a Marxist society those at the top can't appear in public because they're p***ing themselves 24/7 that anybody bought that. Then we talk about the bounds. And it's very complicated. And yes, clearly, some people are further along the "in it together" scale than others; but it's not binary.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:23 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Ah, so you're not in favour of "no deal" then.
And, I didn't say that we are currently crippled, my implication was that if we have no deals with the EU for 2 years then we'll be crippled. No flights for a start and no agreements on borders / security etc. In fact as someone else posted: issues in 55 key areas that would be unresolved.
It's strange that when pressed on it so many "no dealers" actually do want deals to be done.
And let's not forget that many of the arrangements / agreements we currently have with the US and other countries are arranged via the EU, and they need to be renegotiated as well.
I presume we have some sort of deal we every country in the world. I don't want us to sign a deal we have to pay 56m a week for or have open borders for no.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 pm

nil, can I ask if you genuinely believe your oft trotted out ' no flights' line?

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 pm

$1,000,000,000,000 of assets in the banking sector moved out of the UK due to Brexit
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/07/inve ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Caballo wrote:nil, can I ask if you genuinely believe your oft trotted out ' no flights' line?
There isn't really anything to believe, if there was a true 'no deal' then planes wouldn't be flying.

It's more an illustration of how ludicrous the no deal stance is as it's nearly always caveated with things like "of course there'd be a deal on flights".

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 pm

aggi wrote:There isn't really anything to believe, if there was a true 'no deal' then planes wouldn't be flying.

It's more an illustration of how ludicrous the no deal stance is as it's nearly always caveated with things like "of course there'd be a deal on flights".
We've been through this many times and the conclusion has always been every airline company in Europe would go bust within two weeks, as they all operate on 2% profit or thereabouts.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 pm

aggi wrote:There isn't really anything to believe, if there was a true 'no deal' then planes wouldn't be flying.

So since all parties have already agreed that current arrangements will extend to at least December 2019, does that mean that all threat of "no deal" has gone and Lancaster can stop worrying? ;)

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 pm

Caballo wrote:nil, can I ask if you genuinely believe your oft trotted out ' no flights' line?
Well if there's no deal, then by definition yes.
But I've always said that there will either be a deal of sorts or no brexit. There has to be - flights won't be allowed to be grounded.
The EU have known this from the outset, hence May looking particularly stupid when she has said no deal is better than a bad deal. Now of course she's changed and she's saying it's her deal, or possibly no brexit, - so she is basically now admitting that no deal has never been on the cards.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:21 pm

And there's still people, even on this board like Jakub who think we can (and should) just sever ties with them completely and have no arrangements. Why dont you spend your time trying to educate them a little as it would be better spent that way

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Well that's a shocker:

The British government has accepted that a company awarded a contract to provide ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit will be unable to deliver them before late April, several weeks after the UK is due to leave the EU.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 pm

aggi wrote:Well that's a shocker:

The British government has accepted that a company awarded a contract to provide ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit will be unable to deliver them before late April, several weeks after the UK is due to leave the EU.
Because;
1) Brexit is a 1-day thing only
2) That contractor had more than 10% of the overall awards

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 pm

But what % of the freight would it pick up though?

My reading of the three bids suggest that the three companies can only take 10% of the Dover-Calais trade, and with DFDS being bigger than Brittany Ferries, which in turn is a lot bigger than Seabourne Freight suggests that Seabourne will probably take less than 1% of the need.

I mean, that before you go into the details of profitability and when it would be ready.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:40 pm

thatdberight wrote:Because;
1) Brexit is a 1-day thing only
2) That contractor had more than 10% of the overall awards
But this ferry deal was particularly to mitigate the disruption straight after a no-deal Brexit. As time wears on you'd expect deals to be made, processes streamlined, etc and less requirement for an emergency ferry service.

If they'd announced when the deal was struck that it wasn't going to come into force until a month after Brexit then fair enough, maybe they'd planned that, but there was no suggestion that was the case until today.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 pm

aggi wrote:But this ferry deal was particularly to mitigate the disruption straight after a no-deal Brexit. As time wears on you'd expect deals to be made, processes streamlined, etc and less requirement for an emergency ferry service.

If they'd announced when the deal was struck that it wasn't going to come into force until a month after Brexit then fair enough, maybe they'd planned that, but there was no suggestion that was the case until today.
I'm not disagreeing this deal looks off. I agreed above when somebody else said it was "dubious". For the reasons you're mentioning now. I just think this isn't a "Ta-daa!" piece of news on this story.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:58 pm

thatdberight wrote:I'm not disagreeing this deal looks off. I agreed above when somebody else said it was "dubious". For the reasons you're mentioning now. I just think this isn't a "Ta-daa!" piece of news on this story.
It wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for all the insistence that it would be ready. If they'd just shown a bit of honesty initially then it wouldn't have all blown up. Instead the contract award went the other way:

"The Department for Transport has awarded a contract to Seaborne Freight (UK) Ltd for the supply of additional freight capacity on ferry services between England and Belgium in order to minimise the potential disruption of trade across the Short Straits in the event that the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.

"The ferry services under the contracts are to be operational by March 29."

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 am

And the contract has now been terminated.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:50 am

Just reinforces the case that we are completely unprepared for a "No Deal" and we need to take that option of the table.

Realism boys and girls, smacking you in the balls every single day
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:29 am

Failing Grayling’s incompetence again