Burnley v Barnsley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Burnley v Barnsley - Player Ratings

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 pm

I'm going to enjoy the win!
This user liked this post: Leisure

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Pope had nothing to do.

That counts as comfortable to me, but hey I guess I'm not you.
And neither did their keeper

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm

taio wrote:You're bound to if you think we won comfortably
Think you should be quoting Lancaster but for what it's worth, the result might not have been comfortable but Barnsley never troubled us all afternoon.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Felt like a pre season friendly that we were in complete control of, but still at risk of conceding a late goal out of the blue. The control I must add was with only a few moments where we actually moved the ball quick and created a couple of openings.

Pope 6
Tarks 7 mom out of position yet along with McNeil looked the most comfortable on the ball
Ward 6 solid
Gibson 6 solid
Long 6 solid
McNeil 7 positive in everything he does
Taylor 6
Defour 5 big fan of his and Jeffs bit both didn’t do enough today stamp a creative authority on the game
Hendrick 5 see above
Vokes 5
Vydra 6. (Generous acknowledgement of being involved in the pens)
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:He was controlled by a 3rd tier centre back, he couldn’t get an easy header on target, completely fluffed another shot, then he missed the target again hitting the side netting, he kept falling over, didn’t link up well and you think that deserves even a 6?
But he's hardly had any game time with us this season. It's not so easy coming into the side like that when you've not got many minutes behind you. Game time and confidence count for a lot. Just look at Chris Wood if you need evidence of that. He was being derided by most posters on here until he suddenly got a goal.
As for the 3rd tier centre back, presumably there's a reason why Barnsley have the best defensive record in the league.
He seemed to be trying too hard at times, and overall, in a disjointed team performance I think that he did pretty well.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm

I think you will find he might have had something to do Boysie! :-)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Neither side looked like scoring and 0-0 was a fair result. They went very close with a free kick in the last 5 mins that would have knocked us out and then they gifted us a pen. We won but it was no way comfortable and if you consider the standard of opposition we were playing it was a poor performance at best.

Today isnt a case of negative whingers it was an awful match just like some of our previous cup matches with the only difference that for once we nicked the victory at the death rather than the other way round
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:34 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:And neither did their keeper
Apart from a terrific reflex save from Long of course, and some vital interventions.
Edit: Also from our viewpoint, which was good, it looked like he handled outside the box to stop Vydra from scoring.
Last edited by nil_desperandum on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Leisure

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Think you should be quoting Lancaster but for what it's worth, the result might not have been comfortable but Barnsley never troubled us all afternoon.
And we hardly troubled them so what's your point

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Apart from a terrific reflex save from Long of course, and some vital interventions.
It was a save he should have made, nothing more than that.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I think you will find he might have had something to do Boysie! :-)
Yeah try and save a pen in 93 rd min :D

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Look its about opinions, and I'm sure that if you want to give out 4s, then I'm not going to stop you

I just commented on it being harsh to give 4s in what was a comfortable win.

I certainly don't want to be arguing about it for the rest of the afternoon with anyone!

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:39 pm

The low scores are because it was an awful performance nothing more - with the players on the pitch and the money spent we should wipe the floor with these teams

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Can we not just enjoy the fact we've thru to next round, why dissect every bleedin performance. Accrington next round at the Turf would be wonderful.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:with the players on the pitch and the money spent we should wipe the floor with these teams
You mean like Everton are with Lincoln?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:56 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:The low scores are because it was an awful performance nothing more - with the players on the pitch and the money spent we should wipe the floor with these teams
Disgrace isn't it - Sarri should be sacked at Chelsea after only winning 2-0 against lower league opposition despite spending close to a billion pounds.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm

Spijed wrote:You mean like Everton are with Lincoln?
If we'd had 75% possession and 18 shots at goal like Everton I reckon people wouldnt be too worried and negative about a one goal win. It was the turgid football we have played (again in the cup) that has irked most people

taio

Post by taio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:01 pm

It appears Chelsea and Everton dominated their games. Not that it matters like.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:The low scores are because it was an awful performance nothing more - with the players on the pitch and the money spent we should wipe the floor with these teams
Don't know what you were watching but it wasn't an awful performance. There again, I'm a Burnley supporter not someone who seems to get enjoyment out of slagging off the club and team.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm

taio wrote:It appears Chelsea and Everton dominated their games. Not that it matters like.
Vokes & McNeil should have scored with easy chances.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:16 pm

A replay would have meant Brady would only miss one PL match.
For much of the time that seemed the gameplan.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Spijed wrote:Vokes & McNeil should have scored with easy chances.
No side scores every chance they create. We had what should've been three decent headed chances though including those two and Vydra's but two of them weren't even close and none of them tested the keeper. That's one of several reasons why I thought we underperformed. Again, pleased we are in the hat for the next round though, which is the main thing.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 pm

It was a passive performance which wasn’t particularly enjoyable, lack of atmosphere doesn’t help the feel of that either. However id pay £10 again tomorrow to watch it. 1) because it’s Burnley 2) because it’s football 3) because it’s a good excuse to get out of the house 4) because it’s better than shopping with the wife and daughters and 5) because we WON
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret Dark Cloud Ric_C

NickPopeFan
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by NickPopeFan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Pope-10
Vokes-5
Vydra-5
Tarky-7
Long-6
Gibson-5
Ward-5
McNeil-8
Defour-6
Hendrick-6
Taylor-7
Cork-5
Gudmundsson-6
Wood-7

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by maidenover » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Pope - 7
Ward - 6
Gibson - 7
Long - 7
Tarkowski - 8
McNeil - 7
Hendrick - 6
Defour - 6
Taylor - 7
Vokes - 4
Vydra - 6

JBG - 6
Wood - 7

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:34 pm

I thought it was a poor performance. If one of those free kicks had gone it at the end, you couldn't complain that they'd won.
The team setup didn't help. Tarks isn't a full back and Taylor isn't a winger. Taylor's complete one-footedness forced McNeil to the right which didn't help. Several players were using the game for match fitness so there was very little intensity, our passing was poor and creativity largely absent.

In the end we barely scraped past a side 2 divisions below us.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Pope 7
Tarks 6
Long 7
Gibson7
Ward 5 (feeling his way back tbf)
Taylor 6
Defour 6 (he hardly shone above L1 opposition)
Hendrick 6 (unlike many I thought Jeff did ok)
McNeil 8* (easily the best player for us again. At least he gives the opposition something to worry about)
Vydra 5 (I've been moaning he never gets a proper do. Sorry SD, I now know why. He's rubbish!)
Vokes 5 (another player I have been championing and he was pants)

Wood 6
JBG 5

Yet again we were made to look decidedly average by lower league opposition and despite the changes there should have been enough talent out there to put them away comfortably. TBF to Barnsley they're clearly no mugs and are playing well and doing well in their league so confidence was up. They defended really well and were decent in midfield, but that was hardly difficult against our "strike force" :roll: . Up front they created almost nothing and Pope had almost nothing to do for long periods. McNeil was once again the bright spot amongst a lot of boring meh and how we sneaked the win I'm not entirely sure.
(I'd forgotten that lower league refs could still be sponsored by pie manufacturers. Crumbs he was a bit of a porker! :) )

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Pope - 7 nowt to do. Extra point for coming out and collecting a couple of crosses. How we've missed that
Ward - 6 ring rusty
Tarks - 8 Walk in the park
Long/Gibson - 7 no shots on goal, solid
Defour - 6 understandably rusty. Not helped by Hendrick playing too far away from him
Hendrick - 5 nearly a four. Had to get closer to Defour and collect the ball. He was a major reason (not all) they had more possession than us. I'm not saying he wasn't trying but he certainly didn't want the ball
Taylor - 6 (5 in midfield/7 at left back). I just can't make my mind up about him. Too hot and cold.
McNeil- 7 Breath of fresh air. Once he bulks up and riddles himself in tattoos he'll be a force
Vokes - 5 a bad day at the office
Vydra - 6 not helped by Vokes. Buzzed about but touch let him down too often. That's because of lack of game time and confidence. Still, he posed a threat a won the pen. More to come from him I think

Job done. It's a big ask to expect an exciting performance when you make so many changes. It should have been better against a league 1 side though

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Sproggy wrote:I thought it was a poor performance. If one of those free kicks had gone it at the end, you couldn't complain that they'd won.
The team setup didn't help. Tarks isn't a full back and Taylor isn't a winger.
Surely you understand why he gave Tarks a game at full back? ... and to a lesser extent Taylor on the wing. It's because we're down to the bare bones in those positions, and it only takes an injury or card for Lowton in the next couple of games, and we'll need to fill the hole.
I thought it was a good idea to experiment with Tarks there today in case needed in the weeks ahead. (What are the other options?).
Similarly he could have started with JBG and McNeil, but it didn't seem a bad option to give Ward a game at full back supported by Taylor, even though I totally agree he isn't a winger.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Does anyone else find the aggressively positive fanboy types on here more annoying than the critics?

That game was gash, fair enough if you think the performance was okay but don't call people out for thinking otherwise.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Good result, OK performance on a day when the disjointed nature of the team meant it was never to be freewheeling, and it feels as though some of these ratings reflect a bit of an over-expectancy on the day.

Pope - 7 - Claimed a couple of good crosses in the manner we became accustomed to last season, but otherwise utterly untroubled all afternoon. Had the first of the two late free kicks gone in, there might be a question about how much of the target he'd offered up, but in the event it didn't come to pass.

Tarkowski - 7 - Looked like a fish out of water for much of the first half as he readjusted to an unfamiliar position, allowing Barnsley to cause us one or two problems down that side, but worked it all out in the second half and was effective both defensively and - to some extent - going forwards. If Pulis was our manager we might see him there regularly on that evidence, but thankfully he isn't, so we won't - but clearly it's an option in a crisis.

Ward - 6 - After a shaky first half, settled in nicely after the break until he was understandably removed. Good to have him back.

Long - 8 - Apart from one late moment when he dwelt on the ball, prompting Gibson to give a free kick away in a dangerous position, he was solid and dominant defensively, even if his distribution is never completely ideal in games like this.

Gibson - 8 - Apart from diving in rashly to give away the aforementioned free kick, a very solid afternoon's work as we protected our goal very effectively.

Hendrick - 6 - neither he nor Defour quite got the midfield by the scruff of the neck, and there were a few misplaced passes, but he was good defensively and generally fairly solid.

Defour - 7 - Some bursts in which his class really showed, notably the ball for the penalty that never was, but there were other spells in which he was understandably a little bit peripheral as he felt his way back from his lay off.

McNeill - 7 - Not bad,and kept the ball tidily, but understandably less comfortable on the right and he was guilty of taking the wrong option a few times and perhaps looking to do a bit too much himself - but that's all part of his learning process, and his class isn't in doubt. He looked in need of the week's rest he now gets well before the end.

Taylor - 7 - His lack of a yard of pace, and his one-footedness is exposed when he plays left midfield, but once Ward was providing a second threat down the left he came into his own to produce a couple of nice crosses which others should have done better with, and he looked very assured when he moved to full back.

Vydra - 6 - He won't be happy with how untidy he was at times, and he looked every bit as rusty as you'd expect, but in fairness to him he won two penalties and looked like he might have forced a red card when he appeared to force the Barnsley keeper to handle outside the box (or at least come perilously close to doing so) following a classy flick over the defender and spin.

Vokes - 5 - Not really at the races today, and should have done better with both the inital shot and rebound when Vydra headed down to him in the first half.

Wood - 6- took the penalty well enough but otherwise indifferent.

Given the number of changes, the fact two players were coming back from lengthy injury lay offs and the fact that 3 other players (both wingers and one full back) were playing out of position, this wasn't ever going to be a smooth, freewheeling performance - and anyone who turned up expecting us to blow Barnsley away probably needed to look at the team sheet and reset their expectations, particularly given the fact that Barnsley clearly turned up to take the game seriously and Turf Moor was only half full.

It took us about 25 minutes for the players to work the game out, and after that in truth we dictated the game and Barnsley only ever looked a threat on the rare occasions we overcommitted and allowed the counter-attack. But despite that, for long periods it was obvious that this was a makeshift team and our quality suffered as a result - and even the introduction of JBG and Wood couldn't really change the flow of a game that was set.

But we had plenty of chances - had the initial penalty stood, or had Vydra not been denied by a suspect looking intervention from the Barnsley keeper at the edge of his area, or had Vokes scored from Vydra's first half knockdown, or Long not been denied be a decent save, we'd have led at half time; and we missed the target 4 times from great positions within the first 15 minutes of the second half - headers for Vydra, Vokes and McNeil, plus a bad miss from Vydra when he slashed the ball into the side netting. After that, the game went into the balance a bit more but we never looked in too much danger.

So a good afternoon's work - we keep the momentum, get into the next round, and gave a number of key players a valuable rest.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Ashingtonclaret46

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Alternatively, perhaps OP can just give us the correct ratings at the outset and save everyone else the bother.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Have some sympathy with the resident balloons and their ratings we’ve won 3 on the trot and the frustration and not being able to pile in to the players and manager is very evident.

Just in case hibsclaret is still at home in his ward gimp mask can I be the first to give ward a 10 it was like watching Roberto Carlos today

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Don't know what you were watching but it wasn't an awful performance. There again, I'm a Burnley supporter not someone who seems to get enjoyment out of slagging off the club and team.
You always save your slagging off for your match report - today was as awful as you will see -take them claret specs of sometime

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Spice: you seemed to be at the same match as me, and had the same expectations as me considering the makeshift line-up, players coming back from long-term injury and others playing out of position.
Many positives today I thought, in terms of giving players returning from injury game time, experimenting with Tarks at RB (Where we might have a problem coming up), not (apparently) picking up injuries, not (seemingly) really breaking sweat, another clean sheet, and: (not to mention) WINNING.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:54 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:You always save your slagging off for your match report - today was as awful as you will see -take them claret specs of sometime

You could always turn your tv off

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Pope 7 - untroubled but cool
Tarkowski 7 - think he makes a decent option there and might be a consideration on future occasions
Long 7 - defended well, passing dodgy
Gibson 7* - he’s a classy operator, glad he’s finally contributed to a winning performance
Ward 7 - decent considering length of time out
Taylor 7 - better at LB than LW but gradually improving all the time
Defour 6 - a couple of wonderful passes, but a bit frustrating at times
Hendrick 5 - big chance for him to impose himself today and he gave a flat performance
McNeill 7 - we have a great prospect here, things didn’t always come off but he’s definitely gifted
Vydra 6 - an extra point for endeavour and winning two pens, but he’ll be disappointed to be well shackled by a League One defence
Vokes 5 - failed to stamp his authority, thought the Barnsley no. 5 Pinnock dominated him

Wood 7
Gudmundsson 4 - thought he was really poor and fashioned nothing

A word of praise for Barnsley who performed admirably although had little up front, that said we defended our box extremely well today, frustrating that we were so disjointed overall. But all’s well that ends well and three wins in a week sets us up well for the bigger challenges ahead.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Spice: you seemed to be at the same match as me, and had the same expectations as me considering the makeshift line-up, players coming back from long-term injury and others playing out of position.
Many positives today I thought, in terms of giving players returning from injury game time, experimenting with Tarks at RB (Where we might have a problem coming up), not (apparently) picking up injuries, not (seemingly) really breaking sweat, another clean sheet, and: (not to mention) WINNING.
Yep, agree with all of that. We know that as a side, we've struggled in the last couple of seasons to adapt when the onus is on us to break down stubborn opponents - it's a huge switch from the Premier League where we get used to counter-punching (and are good at it). I thought we did that pretty well today and we just lacked a bit of extra composure in the final third at times. Sure it was frustrating and sure it wasn't the most exciting game for the neutral, but as we've both said given the nature of the team we had out, and given the way Barnsley set out to be really solid, stubborn opponents, it became the sort of cup tie that is more common that not these days.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Pope 6 Poor kicking. Good handling from crosses
Tarks 7 Easy game for him I thought. Showed glimpses of why he would be useful in a defensive 3
Long 6 Easy game. Some more composure on the ball would be nice
Gibson 7 Always looking to play the ball to feet. Could be useful with Defour in front of him to receive his passes
Ward 6 All things considered, did ok
Taylor 5 Didn’t appear to be at the races today. Maybe just one of those days
Defour 7 I thought he looked quite good. Used the ball better than anyone. Some nice touches. Finally a decent corner!!
Hendrick 4 So disappointing. Lethargic. Anonymous. Today was his chance to really show what he can do. I expected him to be driving us forward and showing some dynamism. None of it. Shame
McNeil 7 He’s got something about him has this boy. Still showing immature moments, holds onto the ball far too long, far too often, but with some guidance he could be very, very good, anywhere along the 2nd attacking line. Needs to learn when to drive into space, when to drive at the man, and when to just wait, and invite the defender and delay the pass, but hopefully that will come
Vokes 5 Disappointed with Sam recently. Just quiet today. Occupied by a defender who is very accomplished in the air, and was beaten to most long balls
Vydra 5 Some brilliant moments. Lots of poor moments. His movement is great. But he just doesn’t look the final piece of the jigsaw. He also looks a shadow of what I remember last season at Derby. Maybe he needs a run of games / confidence / to play 20 yards further back with a pacy striker up-top who attracts the defenders deeper, and gives him space
JBG 5 Looked bored if I’m honest
Wood 6 12 months of nothing. Followed by a run of goals. Still needs to do more for me to cement his place for good, and maybe I’ll warm to him. BUT FOR GOD SAKES MAN... STAY ONSIDE!! If he times his runs better he could double his goal tally.

Overall, I was never worried. We were a class above. Game was a bit dull, but I can’t remember when I last watched us win a domestic cup game live! So I’d have taken any sort of win.

PS. VAR is a joke. Correct decision, yeah, fine, maybe. But the way it is being used is pathetic. What if Vydra had got a shot away, and it had gone for a corner, and we’d have scored from that?? Needs to be either a blatant mistake made that the VAR relays to the referee, or the manager / captain can ask for a review like in tennis. It’s application today made everyone look like amateurs.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Except Barnsley didnt set out to be stubborn. They played an open game and pushed forward but ultimately didnt have the quality to hurt us. They passed it much better than us and rarely looked troubled by us. We just had enough to pinch a win but that was a poor performance no matter how you try and frame it.

Still we won and we got no injurys and im more concerned about how we play against Fulham next week so all is good now

Rumbletonk

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Don't know what you were watching but it wasn't an awful performance. There again, I'm a Burnley supporter not someone who seems to get enjoyment out of slagging off the club and team.
If you consider we had less possession than a league 1 team at home combined with the snail like pace we moved the ball and low number of chances don't be surprised if some people think that performance was awful.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:If you consider we had less possession than a league 1 team at home combined with the snail like pace we moved the ball and low number of chances don't be surprised if some people think that performance was awful.
If we'd have put that peformance in as a Championship side under Howe I think CT would have had a field day slagging the performance off as he always used to in those days. Maybe he wasnt a "Burnley supporter" like he is now back then
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 ClaretnGreen

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:11 pm

We had more possession than Everton why do people stick with this stupid mentality

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:13 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:We had more possession than Everton why do people stick with this stupid mentality
We had 49%, they had 51%.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Except Barnsley didnt set out to be stubborn. They played an open game and pushed forward but ultimately didnt have the quality to hurt us. They passed it much better than us and rarely looked troubled by us. We just had enough to pinch a win but that was a poor performance no matter how you try and frame it.

Still we won and we got no injurys and im more concerned about how we play against Fulham next week so all is good now
They spent most of the second half defending the edge of their penalty area. Fair play to them, they did it well, but after the first 30 minutes when we were trying to adjust to an unfamiliar team and lots of players to unfamiliar positions, Barnsley quite reasonably retreated and aimed to hit us on the counter-attack. That was the story of the rest of the game.

Rumbletonk

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:20 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:We had more possession than Everton why do people stick with this stupid mentality
What's your point? Surely you would expect a premier league team to dominate possession at home when playing a league 1 side

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:What's your point? Surely you would expect a premier league team to dominate possession at home when playing a league 1 side
A lot of that possession was inside their own half. It didn't particular trouble us, and it suited us to let them have it there.

Dictating a game of football is about forcing the opposition to do what they don't want to do, and what you want them to do, isn't it? Surely that's a better measure of control than possession is, per se?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 pm

claretspice wrote:They spent most of the second half defending the edge of their penalty area. Fair play to them, they did it well, but after the first 30 minutes when we were trying to adjust to an unfamiliar team and lots of players to unfamiliar positions, Barnsley quite reasonably retreated and aimed to hit us on the counter-attack. That was the story of the rest of the game.
Sorry I think youre exaggerating but fair enough you have a reasoned point and we are not going to agree. I mean lots of players adjusting to unfamiliar positions? Tarks to right back - yes, Taylor to left midfield i'll give you although he's an attacking full back but thats it. Please dont throw McNeil in there cos he played right wing instead of left so its hardly lots

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:You could always turn your tv off
I would but don't have them where I sit

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Sorry I think youre exaggerating but fair enough you have a reasoned point and we are not going to agree. I mean lots of players adjusting to unfamiliar positions? Tarks to right back - yes, Taylor to left midfield i'll give you although he's an attacking full back but thats it. Please dont throw McNeil in there cos he played right wing instead of left so its hardly lots
It's the opposite side of the pitch, and for a player who strongly favours one foot, it completely alters what he's trying to do when he gets the ball, and how he looks to link up with teammates. it may well become a position he's comfortable in as he develops, but for nowt's a massive change - probably a bigger one for him at this stage of his career than Tarks moving to right sided centre back to right back.