Burnley v Barnsley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Re: Burnley v Barnsley - Player Ratings

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm

Look it was very poor end off - and quite a few players were made to look like league 1 players but won't name them as some cost our club a lot of money

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm

claretspice wrote:It's the opposite side of the pitch, and for a player who strongly favours one foot, it completely alters what he's trying to do when he gets the ball, and how he looks to link up with teammates. it may well become a position he's comfortable in as he develops, but for nowt's a massive change - probably a bigger one for him at this stage of his career than Tarks moving to right sided centre back to right back.
You really think he hasnt played that position before many times. Your clutching at straws with regards your comment around "lots" of players adjusting to unfamiliar positions

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:35 pm

claretspice wrote:A lot of that possession was inside their own half. It didn't particular trouble us, and it suited us to let them have it there.

Dictating a game of football is about forcing the opposition to do what they don't want to do, and what you want them to do, isn't it? Surely that's a better measure of control than possession is, per se?
I could turn everything you said there and say it from a Barnsley point of view. Our possession wasn't noticeably higher up the pitch than theirs. I can't disagree more when you say we dictated today. If anything we cancelled one another out

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12364 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:35 pm

taio wrote:Aye because Davies had loads to do :roll:

I haven't read any match reports but perhaps you could point me to some neutral ones that say or at least imply we won comfortably
Well they certainly wouldn't have scored if we'd gone off!

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Leisure wrote:Well they certainly wouldn't have scored if we'd gone off!
Eh?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:42 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:The low scores are because it was an awful performance nothing more - with the players on the pitch and the money spent we should wipe the floor with these teams
Don't talk Bo**ocks. The money we have spent has no bearing on this game. Lower teams invariably raise their game against higher teams. But for all their possession I can't recall one effort which Pope had to save. UTC

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8431 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Leisure wrote:Don't talk Bo**ocks. The money we have spent has no bearing on this game. Lower teams invariably raise their game against higher teams. But for all their possession I can't recall one effort which Pope had to save. UTC
Don't rise to the bait m8

Popey didn't have a save to make....

Stats don't lie.

Home Team Burnley Away Team Barnsley
Possession - Home 48% Away 52%
Shots - Home 11 Away 9
Shots on Target - Home 2 Away 0
Corners - Home 4 Away 4
Fouls - Home 8 Away 9
Last edited by Bosscat on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Pope 6
Tarkowski 8 (MOM)
Long 6
Gibson 6
Ward 7
Taylor 6
Defour 6
Hendrick 5
McNeill 7
Vydra 6
Vokes 6

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm

taio wrote:Eh?
You no understand?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 pm

Being in the premier league has certainly attracted way more whoppers than any other club

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Neither team really did enough to win that today. For me Barnsley were the team who looked to get it down and play, we resorted to going direct and needed a penalty to score. Not great at home to a League 1 outfit however people try and dress it up.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:15 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Being in the premier league has certainly attracted way more whoppers than any other club
Depends what kind of crap you like to watch bud

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:I could turn everything you said there and say it from a Barnsley point of view. Our possession wasn't noticeably higher up the pitch than theirs. I can't disagree more when you say we dictated today. If anything we cancelled one another out
You could, but then you'd have to look at the balance of chances and conclude that - as you'd expect given league status - given we had a vast number more opportunities than they did (I listed a few highlights in my player ratings above), that our possession had been more effective and the balance of the game more along the lines we would want. Our biggest (not only) problem today was being clinical in the final third. Five or six really good chances that we didn't capitalise upon before we scored, and a number of others where with a better decision we'd have been in.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:You really think he hasnt played that position before many times. Your clutching at straws with regards your comment around "lots" of players adjusting to unfamiliar positions
I cited 3 players changing positions and 2 coming back from injury so feeling their way back into it. That's half a team, and 5 of the 8 players we have on the pitch who have roles in building our attacks. And I'm not sure how much McNeil has played on the right, but its clearly not his preferred side, so exactly who in this debate is "clutching at straws" must really depend on what side of the argument you're coming from. If the cap fits, and all that.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 pm

claretspice wrote:I cited 3 players changing positions and 2 coming back from injury .
3 actually.
It's important to recognise how well Pope and the defence did. That's our 3rd goalkeeper in 4 matches. Ok, maybe he's the best of the 3, but it's still a big change for the defence as his style is so different, and his distribution poor.
This user liked this post: claretspice

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm

claretspice wrote:You could, but then you'd have to look at the balance of chances and conclude that - as you'd expect given league status - given we had a vast number more opportunities than they did (I listed a few highlights in my player ratings above), that our possession had been more effective and the balance of the game more along the lines we would want. Our biggest (not only) problem today was being clinical in the final third. Five or six really good chances that we didn't capitalise upon before we scored, and a number of others where with a better decision we'd have been in.
We'll have to agree to disagree. If our possession was more effective it was marginal. I'm happy with a good defensive display though and we won so all is well (ish)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:32 pm

claretspice wrote:I cited 3 players changing positions and 2 coming back from injury so feeling their way back into it. That's half a team, and 5 of the 7 players we have on the pitch who have roles in building our attacks. And I'm not sure how much McNeil has played on the right, but its clearly not his preferred side, so exactly who in this debate is "clutching at straws" must really depend on what side of the argument you're coming from. If the cap fits, and all that.
Players returning from injury and a semi reserve team is a fair explanation and reason as to why we were so poor today. It doesnt mean the performance wasnt well below par but its makes it more understandable and ive not disputed that with you or anyone else.

What ive disputed is people who have said it wasnt a poor performance (it was) and your specific comment that "lots" of players were adjusting to unfamiliar positions (they weren't). I mean even Taylor has already played left midfield for us this season and wing back as well as playing left midfield for Leeds. McNeil is a winger and played on the wing and it is a position in modern football where all wingers get moved from side to side. Id bet Tarks has never played right back so thats 1 definite and 2 clutching at straws.

I disagree with some of the other stuff you have said but youve fairly reasoned your case so happy to just respectfully disagree but why dont you just admit the comment you made about players out of position was exagerated and a bit OTT

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:41 pm

I think three players out of position is a lot - particularly when it is both players in wide positions, and the right back, in a team which general attack down the flanks rather than through the middle. If you disagree with that, then whatever, I'm not going to argue with your assessment of what "a lot" is. But this is a sideshow. If you actually read my contributions to this thread, its focused on the fact that 3 players were out of position, and 2 (or as Nil Desperandum has correctly pointed out, actually 3) were coming back from injury. That is, as far as I'm concerned, a pretty makeshift side.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 602 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Pope 8 - Not much to do but punted a few kicks straight out of touch to relieve the pressure and help us regroup
Tarks 9 - Captain marvel performance overlapping wonderfully and duffing his crosses into the first man
Long 8 - Distribution as terrible as ever but was immense against the mighty Barnsley strikeforce
Gibson 8 - Not only a great defender but some classy sideways passing to his fellow defenders
Ward 8 - Looked like he'd never been away even though it was one of the most tense and toughest games he could come back in to
O'Neal 8 - Missed a sitter and no end product but kept possession well with his twisting and turning when under the cosh
Hendricks 8 - Hardly touched the ball but floated around the pitch elegantly and really stepped up to the plate when no one else was willing to take that pressure corner
Defour 9 - Wasnt even trying and still managed to complete at least 3 passes to our own team successfully
Taylor 10 - Beckham like with his swinging crosses and looked a cut above those League 1 Barnsley players
Vydra - Not on long enough to give a mark
Vokes 8 - Hard day against some of the best defenders we've seen this season at the turf but gave it his all and nearly won a header

JBG 8 - Managed not to get injured
Woods 9 - Showed good thinking to take the penalty before the ref changed his mind
Cork - Involved a little more than Vydra but still not on long enough to rate

Dyche 9 - Showed his tactical nous to get us through a really tough tie and pinch a win. Doubt we'll get a harder draw than this for the rest of the competition

I was taking that all quite seriously until I read O'Neal :o :)
This user liked this post: MRG

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:29 pm

Surprised by the high marks on here today. That was a pretty dull and pedestrian performance and only the fact that we were playing a team from 2 tiers down at home meant we were in any way 'comfortable'. Fair play to Barnsely as they worked hard and did try and pass the ball around. The game looked to have 0-0 stamped all over it (largely because our defence DID play well and our forwards did not) but it could easily have been another Lincoln/Burton/Accrington where we 'should'win but in the end lose. For that its gratefully received, but to dress this as most players deserving 7 is a bit weird to me.

Pope 6 - notjing at all to do
Tarkowski 7 - struggled to get forward first half much improved 2nd
Long 7 - solid
Gibson 8 - really solid
Ward 5 - struggled but back from injury
Defour 6 - just about rescued a 6 in tje 2nd half. Looked disinterested 1st half
Hendrick 5 - thpught he was our best midfielder for the first 30 but then drifted out if the game
McNeill 6 - slow ro get going buy on an unfamiliar side - much better 2nd
Taylor 6 - as Mc Neill- did much better 2nd half
Vydra 5 - won a penalty but otherwise failed to trouble a league 1 side
Vokes 4 - just awful

Wood 6 - not really on long enough to make much difference.

Moorite
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by Moorite » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Pope - 6
Ward - 6
Gibson - 6
Long - 6
Tarkowski - 7 Played out of position and I feel he did the job the best he could.
McNeil - 7 Played confidently and not scared to take on his man. Very quickly tired in the second half but that will improve
Hendrick - 5
Defour - 5 Fan favourite so I think a lot of people just see the good in him rather than both the good and the bad
Taylor - 5
Vokes - 4 Didnt see him win anything, may as well not be on the pitch today
Vydra - 6 (+1 for winning the penalty)

JBG - 6
Wood - 6

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:52 pm

Pope 7 -would have had more to do if they could take free kicks or shoot properly
Tarkowski 7 - few lapses of concentration early doors, but played some very good looking balls and handled the big lad very well when he came on
Long 7- would have been an 8 had it not been for a couple of lapses leading to free kicks
Gibson 6 - quiet afternoon for him. Least effective and confident of our back line
Ward 7 - good to see him back. Strange game for him having a full back in front as his outlet
Taylor 6 - let’s hope we don’t see him as a winger / wing back too often.
McNeil 7 - would have been a 9 if he’d scored the header and not tired late on.
Defour 6 - looked short of match time and definitely shirked a couple of rough tackles. His passing when he gets it right is still a joy to watch
Hendrick 6 - worked hard, tackled well but seems to find congestion rather than space
Vydra 5 - looked frustrated at the service, worked hard but won pretty much nothing all day. Movement was lacking
Vokes 4 - over head flick in the first half apart, I thought he was abysmal. Made the wrong runs, wrong choice and poor execution of each pass. Also thought he looked slow, which was. Surprise.

Subs
JBG 5 - ineffective. Too predictable trying to come back onto his left foot.
Wood - 5 (extra for the goal) caused no problems, poor touch
Cork - 6 a bit Of calmness at times but also lost the ball too often

Overall a pretty poor show, but we got through and it could have been more. Makeshift team and odd formation with the personnel a available.
This user liked this post: Frenchclaret

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:03 am

Pope 6
Tarkowski 8 - MOTM
Long 6
Gibson 6
Ward 6
Taylor 5
Defour 6
Hendrick 4
McNeill 7
Vydra 5
Vokes 5

Tarkowski strolled the game at RB, he's in a good but of form recently. McNeil our biggest threat yet again.
Hendrick was abysmal, offered us nothing. Vydra looks a really bad buy.
**** game against a lower league side.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 665 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Surely you understand why he gave Tarks a game at full back? ... and to a lesser extent Taylor on the wing. It's because we're down to the bare bones in those positions, and it only takes an injury or card for Lowton in the next couple of games, and we'll need to fill the hole.
I thought it was a good idea to experiment with Tarks there today in case needed in the weeks ahead. (What are the other options?).
Similarly he could have started with JBG and McNeil, but it didn't seem a bad option to give Ward a game at full back supported by Taylor, even though I totally agree he isn't a winger.
Yep, we're a Premier League team without a squad deep enough to cover an injury at full back, and our U23's aren't good enough.

What are the other options - buy or loan someone in this transfer window that's better than Matt Lowton and Phil Bardsley? Bournemouth managed it.

Taylor on the wing - not really. It didn't work there in the Europa League so that experiment should have been put to bed. He's too one-dimensional to play on the wing because he can't cut inside onto his right foot and having him there unbalanced the rest of the team.

I get that Dyche treats cup games like practice games for squad players. Play at 80%, get some fitness, no cards, no injuries. I don't have a problem with it - he has to get his priorities right with the squad he has. I chose not to go yesterday because of that but I did watch it on TV, and it was a poor performance by a Premier League team against a team 2 divisions below them - for all the reasons outlined above.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

Sproggy wrote:Yep, we're a Premier League team without a squad deep enough to cover an injury at full back, and our U23's aren't good enough.

What are the other options - buy or loan someone in this transfer window that's better than Matt Lowton and Phil Bardsley? Bournemouth managed it.
But to go back to your point about why did Tarks play at fullback. Even if we were to sign a good RB tomorrow, it's unlikely that they would be as familiar with the role and fit into our system as well as Tarkowski as early as the game against Fulham next week. And it's a crucial game, so I stand by my view that for a game like yesterday's it was an option worth experimenting with, and on yesterday's evidence I think he'll do ok if required next week.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am

Hibs has just text me his

Pope 3
Tarkowski 3
Long 3
Gibson 4
Ward 10******* MOTM BIGTIME
Taylor 3
Defour 4
Hendrick 4
McNeill 4
Vydra 3
Vokes 4

Sproggy
Been Liked: 665 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 am

That's true. I'd be watching it through my fingers though.

Tuddybfc
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 66 times

Post by Tuddybfc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:23 pm

All 5’s bar McNeil 7 and Tarkowski 6, shouldn’t let a goal gloss over how poor we looked against League 1 opposition

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am

Pope 7
Tarky 7
Long 6
Gibson 6
Ward 7
Defour 6
Hendrick 6