Vokes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Vokes

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Anyone else disappointed with his performance today? Never looks like he can scare opposition centre backs, we were playing a league one team today, admittedly a tight defence, but he really didn't do anything of note.
A three year extension was perhaps over generous.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: Vokes

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Barring the odd game and a few headers each match he's been crap all season. Gets a free pass on here when doing sod all and often the service to him is blamed. When you have no pace, no movement, no trickery its hard to give him good service as he's easy to mark for Prem league defenders

Even missing chances we looked like a much more attacking threat as soon as Wood came in with Barnes and thankfully that threat is starting to turn into goals

This window we need to spend some real cash on a top striker to go alongside Wood and Barnes and hopefully offload Vokes, Wells and Walters for as much cash as we can squeeze out. In the summer we then need to decide if we stick with Vydra or cut our losses and replace him.

Vokes is a top bloke and been an amazing player for this club but he really should have gone in the summer for me with a replacement coming in
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:33 pm

He is a decent Chanpionship player, but let's be honest he wouldn't walk into any other PL teams. I like him and think he has been good for Burnley, but we we have moved.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Vino blanco wrote:He is a decent Chanpionship player, but let's be honest he wouldn't walk into any other PL teams. I like him and think he has been good for Burnley, but we we have moved.
He'd certainly get into Huddersfield's team.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Good luck on “offloading” Walters for cash. Anyway, I’ve been expecting him back for the run in.

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Spijed wrote:He'd certainly get into Huddersfield's team.
Well swap for Billing then please... :D

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:38 pm

At times like today he can look so slow and cumbersome it's unreal. Been a good servant but he's someone I feel we need to be moving on to free up some squad space.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Easy outing for their centre half today. It shouldn't have been though, not against a Premier League and international centre forward. Looks laboured, lost and anonymous at times. Have to agree with many of the comment above.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:40 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Good luck on “offloading” Walters for cash. Anyway, I’ve been expecting him back for the run in.
The cash would be for Vokes and maybe a chance to get a bit for Wells with him doing ok at moment. Just getting shut of Walters anyway we can will be a bonus even if we have to pay him off a fair chunk of his contract to do one

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:The cash would be for Vokes and maybe a chance to get a bit for Wells with him doing ok at moment. Just getting shut of Walters anyway we can will be a bonus even if we have to pay him off a fair chunk of his contract to do one
Walters is out of contract at the end of the season.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Vokes is an assert in the air put the crosses in he will score , he is also great defensively works his socks off for the team he does what it says on the tin , some games he wins all the knock downs other times he can be dominated by strong cb , he has proved he can score in the prem so is a premier league striker , let's leave him alone it ws only 3 games ago we were slating wood saying get rid etc and now he is the best thin since sliced bread! Plus vydra vydra vydra and now he gets 90 mins and it's get rid , rant over

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm

I think Sam played hoping to avoid an injury. Deal out in the offing ?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Walters is out of contract at the end of the season.
I know its a long shot and a bit wishful thinking but if we can get shut of him this month thats better than waiting till summer

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

bfcjg wrote:I think Sam played hoping to avoid an injury. Deal out in the offing ?
I don't think so , he is still part of dyche s plans and he knows that

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Vino blanco wrote:He is a decent Chanpionship player, but let's be honest he wouldn't walk into any other PL teams. I like him and think he has been good for Burnley, but we we have moved.
And yet we were apparently heading for the championship by Many on here? So a good member of the team. :D

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Still a good player who deserves a lot more respect and credit than this thread gives him so far - too many have short memories. 3 goals in the equivalent of 10 full games so far this season - 3 in 913 minutes - is a perfectly respectable return in the Premier League, especially in a struggling team.

He's had some good games this season for us, but Wood and Barnes are understandably first choice and restricting his game time at the minute. Today, the service into the front 2 wasn't great and that's always going to impact on Vokes' performance. Wasn't his best day but he's still a really important player for us.
These 6 users liked this post: LeadBelly Bosscat Down_Rover PaintYorkClaretnBlue mickleoverclaret MT03ALG

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm

I like Vokes, he’s. Good bench option for us for the foreseeable. I think his starting days at PL level are numbered, but he signed his new contract so he must be happy being in the squad - good enough for me.

The one I would lose to make some space is Vydra, I’m afraid. He’s not had much of a go I know, but he’s not shown enough for me to say he’s worth persisting with after this season (if we stay up that is, if we go down he’d be great there).

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 pm

claretspice wrote:Still a good player who deserves a lot more respect and credit than this thread gives him so far - too many have short memories. 3 goals in the equivalent of 10 full games so far this season - 3 in 913 minutes - is a perfectly respectable return in the Premier League, especially in a struggling team.

He's had some good games this season for us, but Wood and Barnes are understandably first choice and restricting his game time at the minute. Today, the service into the front 2 wasn't great and that's always going to impact on Vokes' performance. Wasn't his best day but he's still a really important player for us.
Plenty of respect and care for Sam Vokes on this thread. How can there not be? However, if Sam isn't winning aerial battles he's providing little else as an attacking threat. A non-descript division one centre half had an easy afternoon today and that shouldn't be the case against a current international centre forward.
These 2 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret Dark Cloud

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Still a good player who deserves a lot more respect and credit than this thread gives him so far - too many have short memories. 3 goals in the equivalent of 10 full games so far this season - 3 in 913 minutes - is a perfectly respectable return in the Premier League, especially in a struggling team.

Exactly that.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:44 pm

claretspice wrote:Still a good player who deserves a lot more respect and credit than this thread gives him so far - too many have short memories. 3 goals in the equivalent of 10 full games so far this season - 3 in 913 minutes - is a perfectly respectable return in the Premier League, especially in a struggling team.

Well said :)

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 pm

You wont get a more loyal player and he has given us his best years with which has gone to earn success for BFC. However we are not a charity and we are not in the Championship, plus we cannot live on nostalgia. Neither is he going to get quicker.We need to get the most we can for him in this window and invest the money wisely for a striker who can seriously challenge Barnes & Wood
These 2 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret Silkyskills1

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Wouldn’t want any of you lot with me in the trenches

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Been a great servant but as arguably the slowest player to grace the football leagues it really is time to move the big man on . He’s about as mobile as a railway carriage and his best years behind him . Hart , Hendrick Mee , Ward could also be shifted

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 pm

No time for sentiment-we are one of the lowest financed clubs in the PL and our money simply has to work as hard as possible. Walters, Wells and to some degree Sam are stopping us having someone that could help safeguard our PL survival. These 3 guys wont keep us up

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm

I love Sam to bits and he's been great, but I was amazed at the 3 year extension when he doesn't seem to be among SD's number one picks anymore and he's really struggling with the level of the PL, never mind him looking very poor today against a L1 defence.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:41 pm

He's ideal for us as a foil or to be bought on against a tiring defence.

He gives us a very valuable option and he buys into the SD team ethos completely.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Been a great servant but as arguably the slowest player to grace the football leagues it really is time to move the big man on . He’s about as mobile as a railway carriage and his best years behind him . Hart , Hendrick Mee , Ward could also be shifted
That isn't arguable at all, it's plain wrong.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm

warksclaret wrote:No time for sentiment-we are one of the lowest financed clubs in the PL and our money simply has to work as hard as possible. Walters, Wells and to some degree Sam are stopping us having someone that could help safeguard our PL survival. These 3 guys wont keep us up
Walters and Wells, fair enough. I can't help but think it would be foolhardy to part with Sam Vokes who would almost certainly play if Wood was injured.
If we are to bring in a striker, I'd like to see an upgrade on Vydra who could challenge Ash Barnes for a starting place.

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:He's ideal for us as a foil or to be bought on against a tiring defence.

He gives us a very valuable option and he buys into the SD team ethos completely.
So did Scotty but he had to go, times and players move on if you want to stand still, never mind progress. Graham Branch was a whole hearted Claret during his time with us, but we are unlikely to want him back now...

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:So did Scotty but he had to go, times and players move on if you want to stand still, never mind progress. Graham Branch was a whole hearted Claret during his time with us, but we are unlikely to want him back now...
Yep, and just look how our league position has improved since Arfield left.

Careful what you wish for.
This user liked this post: Archer

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm

I'd certainly put Arfield and Vokes in the same place

Very valuable players who can do a job for us.

We certainly miss the versatility of Scotty this season that is for sure.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

DuckworthsEA
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by DuckworthsEA » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Moved where exactly? Decent championship player? If we was I. The championship he would be the top scorer. Each season under Dyche we went up he scored close to 20 league goals and was just as valuable as Ings or Gray only difference is he stayed with us.

A striker is as good as the service he gets. Wood has been appalling this season until the last two when he has been given more chances. Cross the ball with quality and Sam scores end of. If you think we are a better squad without him your are wrong.

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 pm

DuckworthsEA wrote:Moved where exactly? Decent championship player? If we was I. The championship he would be the top scorer. Each season under Dyche we went up he scored close to 20 league goals and was just as valuable as Ings or Gray only difference is he stayed with us.

A striker is as good as the service he gets. Wood has been appalling this season until the last two when he has been given more chances. Cross the ball with quality and Sam scores end of. If you think we are a better squad without him your are wrong.
Wrong, you are describing a one trick pony. No one would disagree that he can find the net with a pin point cross onto his head, BUT if that's not happening he offers very little.
Tell you what, let's put him in the window and see what offers come in. Or, to keep the likes of you happy, keep him, and carry on struggling.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:59 pm

He is good in the air but most clubs can snub him out-look at the recent Everton game. It also seems to influence the team to pump it up to him-worked in the Championship and to some extent last year, but you get found out in the PL. No coincidence our football has been more free flowing v WHU and Huddersfield where he did not start either game

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm just wondering how many 'tiring defences' you think we are likely to come across in a season. Possession stats will tell you straight away that our style of play does not usually tire out opposition defences. That line just doesn't hold up in support of Sam Vokes.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 pm

claretspice wrote:Yep, and just look how our league position has improved since Arfield left.

Careful what you wish for.
Yeah, because that's the reason we've been struggling....

Not one of your finest comments, this.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Re Vokes

As mentioned above, if he isn't winning aerial battles then he doesn't have another side to his game, I'm afraid.

Not only that, when he's in the team, we revert to hitting hopeful diagonal balls up to him instead of playing the football we have been doing in the last two games v WH and Hudds. I know which football I prefer to watch and also what has been more effective.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 pm

This iarticle is what stirred up all the fuss up

Theirs others need off loading before Vokes like Walters Wells and possibly Vydra

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm

How are we supposed to progress if people just want us to keep the likes of Barnes and Vokes forever?

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Barring the odd game and a few headers each match he's been crap all season. Gets a free pass on here when doing sod all and often the service to him is blamed. When you have no pace, no movement, no trickery its hard to give him good service as he's easy to mark for Prem league defenders

Even missing chances we looked like a much more attacking threat as soon as Wood came in with Barnes and thankfully that threat is starting to turn into goals

This window we need to spend some real cash on a top striker to go alongside Wood and Barnes and hopefully offload Vokes, Wells and Walters for as much cash as we can squeeze out. In the summer we then need to decide if we stick with Vydra or cut our losses and replace him.

Vokes is a top bloke and been an amazing player for this club but he really should have gone in the summer for me with a replacement coming in
I think this is spot on. Most if not all Burnley fans have a lot of love for Vokes but we can't be too sentimental and we need to look to bring in a better quality striker asap

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm

The service today to Vokes was absolutely awful. However, worse than that was Vydra’s “movement” off him. One situation summed it up for me. 2nd half, throw in down our right, Sam told Vydra where the flick on was going, put it pretty much exactly there, unsurprisingly Metej was nowhere to be seen.

Sam was poor today, but his partner was truly woeful.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Vokes - good with head and if pinging crosses in. Sometimes good hold up play but not much else.
Wood - most clinical of all of them with ball played to feet.
Barnes - hustle and bustle and underrated skill.
Vydra - can't really pin point what he offers because havnt seem enough of him.

We do need another striker in that 10 type mould. Sam is probably the one to go if one of the above has to but I'd rather we could get rid of Wells and Walters the latter of which ( through injury) has cost the club a lot of money and offered no return of any sort at all.

nonayclaret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 64 times

Post by nonayclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:59 pm

jrgbfc wrote:How are we supposed to progress if people just want us to keep the likes of Barnes and Vokes forever?
ehem...
Barnes is one of our 110% players. I am completely happy with him starting in the PL

Vokes is also our best headerer (if a word) and our best holder up of the ball. better than Wood in my book

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:36 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'd certainly put Arfield and Vokes in the same place

Very valuable players who can do a job for us.

We certainly miss the versatility of Scotty this season that is for sure.
Largely because he left a massive hole when we didnt replace him after he left

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:29 am

If we are being honest, Vokes isn’t premier league quality. Dyche just gets the best out of a fairly average striker.

Is he the future - No
Does he have a part to play - Yes

The only reason we would let Sam go is if there was a replacement ready to come in.

DuckworthsEA
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by DuckworthsEA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:Wrong, you are describing a one trick pony. No one would disagree that he can find the net with a pin point cross onto his head, BUT if that's not happening he offers very little.
Tell you what, let's put him in the window and see what offers come in. Or, to keep the likes of you happy, keep him, and carry on struggling.
If you can put him in the window mate crack on, only way to settle this is to see if another club wanted him, my bet is there there will be plenty.

Carry on struggling? So our struggles are down to Vokes being a one trick pony? Only offers something when there is a pin point cross? It’s a team game, maybe but they players who can’t put a pin point cross up for sale too so we can stop struggling.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am

Been a great servant but can go for north of £7m as he just dosent do much these days apart from miss chance after chance. Can score a good goal but its becoming rarer as time goes on. 3 year deal was a bit mental i thought.

Admittedly he dosent get good service (which in itslf needs sorting) time to trim the squad down and get more quality in rather than quantity.

Need to get rid of wells too.

Big window for burnley coming up not looking like we’ll get anyone in tbh

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:04 am

I see the * Pork pullers are out in force today.

* see the thread
http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =2&t=35723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;