Tarks at RB

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Tarks at RB

Post by CaptJohn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Does anyone else think that SD was doing a little bit of experimenting today with Tarks at RB? Obviously he is not overly impressed with Lowton at present and Bardsley is not exactly the quickest so maybe, just maybe SD is thinking of trying this in a Prem match with Long and Mee as CBs.
Just a thought :?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Tarks at RB

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:45 pm

When I saw the starting lineup, my immediate thoughts was that he was perhaps doing two things at once. Experimenting to see if he could play the role there (with the thoughts that Gibson is too good to leave out), and but also not risking Lowton/Bards.

He seemed to lose his man a few times down their left, and I think against Premier League wingers he could struggle.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Our best player today in my view. But I don't think his selection at right back was with a view to him playing there again. Bardsley and Lowton were injured.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 pm

taio wrote:Our best player today in my view. But I don't think his selection at right back was with a view to him playing there again. Bardsley and Lowton were injured.
You're probably right, Taio. But I'm sure he thought he was the 'best of the rest' to play that position with a 'who knows' possibility. Afterall he's suggested Taylor at cb in the past.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Tarks is not a rb , a modern rb is expected to sprint down the wing overlap and cross! A great cb leave him there

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani wrote:Tarks is not a rb , a modern rb is expected to sprint down the wing overlap and cross! A great cb leave him there
He was almost upfront at one point, what more do you want! :)

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Took half an hour to work out what the hell he was supposed to be doing out there, during which time Barnsley had plenty of joy around and behind him, but after that it worked fine.

I suspect Dyche was largely protecting the two recognised right backs, but I'm sure he was having a look at something just in case we need it in the future. On the evidence of the last hour, it's a viable option, although we lose plenty by comparison to Lowton and to a lesser extent Bardsley in terms of delivery into the box.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:40 pm

He's built for heading the ball clear. You don't have to do that much at full back.
The only short coming he had though was his crossing when he got forward.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:47 pm

He was there because we didn't want to get an injured "proper" right back.
He's a decent player and will be able to fill in in a few positions but can't suddenly become a Premier standard right back. Showed he was an adequate fill-in there though, if needs arise.

Northerner
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Northerner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Played well today. My motm

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:52 pm

LeadBelly wrote:He was there because we didn't want to get an injured "proper" right back.
He's a decent player and will be able to fill in in a few positions but can't suddenly become a Premier standard right back. Showed he was an adequate fill-in there though, if needs arise.
I agree. My post was more about Dyche's thinking. He's clearly a strong central defender, but he did a job, so always an option in the next cup game.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:56 pm

Seemed an obvious selection to me. If Bardsley and Lowton were both to be unfit next week then he is most likely the best option at RB, so why not experiment with it today? (If not him then who? -I guess it would have to be Hendrick or Gudmundson, but we need JBG as a forward option next week.)
We're pretty well covered in all the other positions once Brady completes his ban.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:28 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Seemed an obvious selection to me. If Bardsley and Lowton were both to be unfit next week then he is most likely the best option at RB, so why not experiment with it today? (If not him then who? -I guess it would have to be Hendrick or Gudmundson, but we need JBG as a forward option next week.)
We're pretty well covered in all the other positions once Brady completes his ban.
I'd have personally had Cork down to fill in there should it have been necessary - he played there quite a lot as a young player - with Hendrick slotting into the midfield. But Tarks did fine there today and it does make sense to keep the continuity in the back 4 should we need it.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:16 pm

claretspice wrote:I'd have personally had Cork down to fill in there should it have been necessary - he played there quite a lot as a young player - with Hendrick slotting into the midfield. But Tarks did fine there today and it does make sense to keep the continuity in the back 4 should we need it.
You really believe Dyche would take Cork out of midfield? Not a chance in my book.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Thought he was regularly beaten down the wing. Not sure how he's anyone's motm when he looked so clearly out of position

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm

claretspice wrote:I'd have personally had Cork down to fill in there should it have been necessary - he played there quite a lot as a young player - with Hendrick slotting into the midfield.
With Cork at RB, you'd have Hendrick in front of Defour? I get that Defour struggles somewhat in a two but I think we've seen all we're ever going to see of Hendrick, Spice, and factoring in consistency (putting aside standout games which all players eventually have), his "best"' over any given period isn't near good enough to justify a start in a serious game despite Defour's deficiencies in a two-man midfield. In such a scenario with Cork at RB, Westwood and Defour would be the only option. There's no way Hendrick should be starting league games unless injury forces it.

nonayclaret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 64 times

Post by nonayclaret » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Bardsley was watching behind usin the JHL today - injured from Huddersfield methinks. Not sure why Lowton wasn't in. Experimenting going on, I agree, but JT not a RB

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:00 pm

CaptJohn wrote:Does anyone else think that SD was doing a little bit of experimenting today with Tarks at RB?
No - he had no fit right backs and so someone had to play there

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:22 pm

If it needed on saturday then hendrick could play rb. No way tarks won't play cb against Mitrovic. However i think i would play wardy rb. Whoever it is will have to deal with Sessonon

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Spiral wrote:With Cork at RB, you'd have Hendrick in front of Defour? I get that Defour struggles somewhat in a two but I think we've seen all we're ever going to see of Hendrick, Spice, and factoring in consistency (putting aside standout games which all players eventually have), his "best"' over any given period isn't near good enough to justify a start in a serious game despite Defour's deficiencies in a two-man midfield. In such a scenario with Cork at RB, Westwood and Defour would be the only option. There's no way Hendrick should be starting league games unless injury forces it.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I've seen him have plenty of good games, particularly in a midfield 2 (City at home last season, anyone?), and if Cork were to have to drop into cover at full back, he'd be the correct man to slot into midfield alongside Westwood to the fetching and carrying role. Westwood and Defour are simply too similar in statute and physicality and we'd not win enough second balls.

However, I agree with nil-desperandum that having seen how that worked yesterday, I'd expect Tarks to get the nod at right back, and Long at right centre half. Apart from anything else, Fulham have shown again today that they're a bit vulnerable at set plays and having the three big lads in the team gives us an extra threat in that department, as well as helping us defend our own box.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 am

It might be an idea to try Hendrick at right back in the next round. It could save his Burnley career if he plays well there.