Are smart meter's harmful ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Are smart meter's harmful ?

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Now i dont want to cause any panic but there is a fair amount of information suggesting the wifi waves used for them are harmful and im only posting this because since we had ours fitted by First Utility about 6 months ago i personally have suffered from some of the listed side effects ?
https://www.emfanalysis.com/smart-meter-health-effects/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5173 times

Re: Are smart meter's harmful ?

Post by Rowls » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:52 pm

These 5 users liked this post: thatdberight Rumpelstiltskin evensteadiereddie Lancasterclaret Falcon

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Is that you pstotto?
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat ZizkovClaret

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Ill take that as i dont care if they are or not...

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:Ill take that as i dont care if they are or not...
From having a quick toot, a number of the usual conspiracy theorists (infowars for example), some doctors financed by "stop the smart meter" coalitions, some non-peer-reviewed studies, some self-selecting studies, some hypochondriacs, some rather damaged people and anecdotal evidence seem to be at the forefront of the claims. I don't dismiss them but it doesn't look like mainstream thinking. But time may prove them right.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:04 pm

I don’t see how WiFi signals from a smart metre will be any different from other WiFi signals.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Unbelievable

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 pm

MI5/CIA surveillance bugs planted in each one.

They're watching YOU. 8-)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Rowls wrote:Image
Bloody hell Paul you've aged.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:13 pm

subsidised by the Clinton Foundation - says it all really

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Well when your legs drop off don't come running to me .. :D
These 3 users liked this post: thatdberight Bosscat evensteadiereddie

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 pm

On a similar subject:

My wife's uncle used to always hold his mobile phone at arms length with the speakerphone on. I used to find it really annoying having to listen his conversations lol but he did it because he was worried about what the signals would do to his brain! That was the type of person he was. Always worrying about similar things to the one you mention.

He was a very intelligent man .... an ex British Aerospace Engineer who was a millionaire or close to it and had retired at 55.

Also he was incredibly fit. At 65 you'd think he was 50. He ate really healthily, very rarely drank and when he did it would be one glass of red wine. He exercised every day and regularly did hill walking! He almost never ate anything sweet apart from a little chocolate and even then it had to be dark chocolate which is supposed to be a bit more healthy.

To consider he had loads of money and a massive pension he lived a very boring life! No holidays or meals out with his wife. Possessions where limited and he was extremely prudent to say the least.

After a hill walk he didn't feel right so saw a doctor. He learnt that he had cancer .... a year later he was dead having gone through a horrific time, that can not be described in words.

The moral of this story is live your life and stop worrying because your going to die anyway! (usually unexpectedly). I have no doubt my wife's uncle regretted the life he had to some extent and wished he'd spent less time worrying and more time living!
These 2 users liked this post: Damo JohnMac

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18275 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:52 pm

I am sure a Smart Meter would be harmful if it dropped off the shelf while you were underneath (looking for that thing you were sure was under there) and it hit you on the head....... :roll:

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:00 pm

The question should be are smart meters actually smart?

They don't save you money and if you change your supplier they cannot send readings to your new supplier.

I'm not too worried about the wifi as the meter is not charged up, only turn it on 4 times a year to provide readings.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:01 pm

I have all those symptoms! It must be the smart meter and not the 15 cans of lager a day as the doctor has suggested.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Do smart meters need apostrophes? :D
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5173 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:27 pm

This thread just wouldn't be the same without the apostrophe's
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie cricketfield73

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:32 pm

i; prefer semi conols.

and speling mistake;s.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:43 pm

NL Claret wrote:The question should be are smart meters actually smart?

They don't save you money and if you change your supplier they cannot send readings to your new supplier.

I'm not too worried about the wifi as the meter is not charged up, only turn it on 4 times a year to provide readings.
The meters are working 24/7, storing and sending metering info all the time whether or not you decide to charge up and turn on your IHD or not.

In 5 years time all the metering info will stored on a central hub used by every supplier and so soon it will be used to send reads to your new suppliers

Currently transforming our metering infrastructure is costing us all money in the same way updating our buildings stock (insulation and green credentials) and transport networks does. The best way to minimise this cost is to make it as easy as possible for the suppliers (who the govt have put the onus on with the threat of severe penaltys) to install the new meters.

Long term they will make a massive financial saving to all customers not by people reducing their usage and bills but by reducing all the costs of accessing the meters to read them and the money spent on debt and disputed bills due to inaccurate readings. Just as the cost of installing them is being passed on to everyone so is the cost of debt management and meter read collection process even if you provide all your own readings and pay all your bills

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3871 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:45 pm

All smart meters do is allow the meter man to drive past your house and take your reading instead of knocking on your door and entering the house.

It's designed to stop fraud and save the energy company money.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:51 pm

The meter reader doesnt need to drive past your house and collect anything as reads can be collected remotely and sent to the data hub (HES) every 30 seconds

You are correct its designed to stop fraud but also stop debt costs which amount through non fraudilant processes but be aware all these costs ultimately get pushed back on to you and not on the company's profits

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm

some ******* people... :roll:
SmudgetheClaret wrote:Now i dont want to cause any panic but there is a fair amount of information suggesting the wifi waves used for them are harmful and im only posting this because since we had ours fitted by First Utility about 6 months ago i personally have suffered from some of the listed side effects ?
https://www.emfanalysis.com/smart-meter-health-effects/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No. Electromagnetic waves from your electronics are not harmful. There is not nearly enough energy in a wifi signal to do any harm whatsoever.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:06 pm

I remember similar doubts about microwave ovens 40+ years ago. I was suspicious of them myself (stories about leaking waves cooking people's innards etc).
Been using one now for almost 40 years and still here (although by kidneys feel hot).

Zesty
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Zesty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:10 pm

There’s actually a video on Facebook I’ve literally just watched. He bought a electromagnetic radiation meter and put it next to the smart meter and it’s showing that it’s harmful. Don’t know how legit it is mind.

Test User

Post by Test User » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Zesty wrote:There’s actually a video on Facebook I’ve literally just watched. He bought a electromagnetic radiation meter and put it next to the smart meter and it’s showing that it’s harmful. Don’t know how legit it is mind.

link it

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:28 pm

BigChaCha wrote:On a similar subject:

My wife's uncle used to always hold his mobile phone at arms length with the speakerphone on. I used to find it really annoying having to listen his conversations lol but he did it because he was worried about what the signals would do to his brain! That was the type of person he was. Always worrying about similar things to the one you mention.

He was a very intelligent man .... an ex British Aerospace Engineer who was a millionaire or close to it and had retired at 55.

Also he was incredibly fit. At 65 you'd think he was 50. He ate really healthily, very rarely drank and when he did it would be one glass of red wine. He exercised every day and regularly did hill walking! He almost never ate anything sweet apart from a little chocolate and even then it had to be dark chocolate which is supposed to be a bit more healthy.

To consider he had loads of money and a massive pension he lived a very boring life! No holidays or meals out with his wife. Possessions where limited and he was extremely prudent to say the least.

After a hill walk he didn't feel right so saw a doctor. He learnt that he had cancer .... a year later he was dead having gone through a horrific time, that can not be described in words.

The moral of this story is live your life and stop worrying because your going to die anyway! (usually unexpectedly). I have no doubt my wife's uncle regretted the life he had to some extent and wished he'd spent less time worrying and more time living!
So he was physically fit looked years younger..loved hill walking enjoyed a glass of wine and loved dark chocolate and had a few quid in the Bank....and you assumed he should have lived life and not worried? I see.....
This user liked this post: Venkys4eva

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Test User wrote:some ******* people... :roll:

No. Electromagnetic waves from your electronics are not harmful. There is not nearly enough energy in a wifi signal to do any harm whatsoever.

Oh well that's ok then test user says it's fine go for it fill your smart meter boots...

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Zesty wrote:There’s actually a video on Facebook I’ve literally just watched. He bought a electromagnetic radiation meter and put it next to the smart meter and it’s showing that it’s harmful. Don’t know how legit it is mind.
Is that the one where his meter shows nothing until it is right next to the smart meter?

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1191 times

Post by 4:20 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm

i smell a turtle

BFC Gold
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by BFC Gold » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:33 pm

If you think the smart meters are bad then just wait until the 5G arrives, you`ll be moaning then.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:45 pm

Financially yes. You cannot flick the off switch without raising suspicions.

Physically, who knows until 20 years time.

Test User

Post by Test User » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:00 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:Oh well that's ok then test user says it's fine go for it fill your smart meter boots...

EM radiation isn't harmful at 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz which are the frequencies wifi uses. Unless you focus it on one specific point and apply hundreds of watts of energy into powering it, like in a microwave , only then will it be harmful - so don't stick your head in a microwave oven and you'll be fine. But to my knowledge your smart meter isn't powered by 800w of energy, and neither is your phone. And neither are either focusing their energy. In fact they're doing the opposite.

In the dead of night, and through cloud cover, you receive much more EM radiation from the sun's reflection off the moon than any household electronic used correctly.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 pm

The so called Smart Metre is nothing of the sort it has already been exposed as nothing more than a money making scam.

These Companies are payed lots of our money to get gullible people to sign up to them and are bribed to do so by this Government.

Don't believe the Governments propaganda..you really don't need one of these useless gadgets fitted.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:All smart meters do is allow the meter man to drive past your house and take your reading instead of knocking on your door and entering the house.

Don`t talk sh*te! It is done through T`imterweb

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:38 am

Only if you eat a whole one.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm

There are many idiots on the internet and you watched a video that was made by one of them.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Im sure they share information such as when you're normally out of the house (low level usage).

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Im sure they share information such as when you're normally out of the house (low level usage).
As they track reads every 30 seconds they have the ability to provide the data for this kind of analysis however this information cannot be shared or used without your explicit permission.

You can also stipulate how often you want the comms hub to contact your meter if you do not want data to be collected every 30 seconds. You can choose between half hourly or daily reads instead of every 30 seconds

If someone comes up with a good way to coax people into giving their consent for this info there is a small fortune to be made and it does not have to be an energy supplier as with the home owners permission anyone could be granted access to this data

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:As they track reads every 30 seconds they have the ability to provide the data for this kind of analysis however this information cannot be shared or used without your explicit permission.

You can also stipulate how often you want the comms hub to contact your meter if you do not want data to be collected every 30 seconds. You can choose between half hourly or daily reads instead of every 30 seconds

If someone comes up with a good way to coax people into giving their consent for this info there is a small fortune to be made and it does not have to be an energy supplier as with the home owners permission anyone could be granted access to this data
I bet burglars would appreciate that info :D

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I bet burglars would appreciate that info :D
Haha and telesales and people like that. When the infrastructure becomes stable and standardised across the industry there is an absolute fortune to be made by the kind of companys who used to ring you up and come and install loft insulation. This time instead of selling carbon to the energy suppliers they will be selling Smart Meter installs

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Haha and telesales and people like that. When the infrastructure becomes stable and standardised across the industry there is an absolute fortune to be made by the kind of companys who used to ring you up and come and install loft insulation. This time instead of selling carbon to the energy suppliers they will be selling Smart Meter installs
Then we will get the "have you been advised to invest in a smart meter" adverts on TV and phone calls

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Bosscat wrote:Then we will get the "have you been advised to invest in a smart meter" adverts on TV and phone calls
More like cold calling and door knocking from companies like that guy who was on that "Call Center" fly on the wall documentary. Reckon we are a good few years off getting to this stage and by then with everything else going on in the UK and Europe the mandate driving Smart Meters may just get binned off and no one will give two sh*ts anymore

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm

EMF seems to be the latest health scare. You’ll see plenty in America and the odd report over hear about EMF being liked to health problems.

As yet there is not enough data or analysis to prove or disprove the effects of EMF on our health.

At present 3 phase 11kV is seemingly a lot less harmful than single phase 230V, or rather the EMF reading at a substation is far less than that measured in a home.

In short the only detrimental effect on your health of a smart meter, at present, is if someone can steal your personal data.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:All smart meters do is allow the meter man to drive past your house and take your reading instead of knocking on your door and entering the house.

I've had one for ages.

A: my only ailment is a hernia which I am not convinced is caused by my meter.
B. I don't think it involves anyone driving past my house to take a reading because my phone app provides me with all the info I need 24/7.
C. I have not yet had any visits from MI5, 6 or the CIA questioning my behaviour.
D. my still in the shed remains undiscovered as yet (as does the slightly illicit vegetation).
E. the lump on my wifes shoulder I am assured is not a second head growing.
F. nothing goes bump in the night and the undead do not roam my premises.
G. my bills (although too high in my opinion) have not gone up in any major way since having one.

Would I recomend one? Nah, each to his own.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I think this ones up there with early 1900’s belief that “ should a motor car exceed 20mph ones head would surely be blown clean off “

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Blimey. I really want a 1900s car.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 pm

npower texted me saying they'd like to install a smart meter at my house on [inconvenient date] and to change the date I'd have to log into the app and do so.

I logged into the app, picked a more convenient date and pressed OK - and it crashed, "an unknown error has occurred".

Two weeks later they emailed me saying they wanted to come and install a smart meter on [same inconvenient date] with a link to the website to change it. I logged in on my computer, picked a more convenient date and pressed OK - and it crashed too!

I gave up to it and took no further action.

I haven't heard from them in 6 weeks or so, so I assume they've forgotten about it.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Falcon wrote:npower texted me saying they'd like to install a smart meter at my house on [inconvenient date] and to change the date I'd have to log into the app and do so.

I logged into the app, picked a more convenient date and pressed OK - and it crashed, "an unknown error has occurred".

Two weeks later they emailed me saying they wanted to come and install a smart meter on [same inconvenient date] with a link to the website to change it. I logged in on my computer, picked a more convenient date and pressed OK - and it crashed too!

I gave up to it and took no further action.

I haven't heard from them in 6 weeks or so, so I assume they've forgotten about it.
I haven't heard anything in 7 years....

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Smart meters... People say what about changing suppliers?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/sm ... suppliers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is what the Telegraph (a proper paper not the hated Blackburnegraph) has to say
Last edited by Bosscat on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.