Newport County

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Re: Newport County

Post by Claretforever » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:I remember going to that game. Just a couple of months short of my 12 the birthday and I was stood in the Cricket Field terrace. They had a decent following after they had knocked Sheff Wed. out in the previous round. We'd beaten Rotherham after a replay at.their place in the 3rd round, a game in which Frank Casper played for the opposition. Our cup run was brought to a halt in the next round at West Ham if I remember rightly.
Before my time, but having checked we beat Huddersfield 3-0 in the next round before losing to West Ham in the quarter finals.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Claretforever wrote:Before my time, but having checked we beat Huddersfield 3-0 in the next round before losing to West Ham in the quarter finals.
Yep, just edited my post after checking.
This user liked this post: Claretforever

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:My dad tells me tales of Newport away, said it’s the only time the police told them they couldn’t gaurantee their safety, whilst bricks were thrown at them
I went to Newport the year we won the 3rd division and the police were absolute appalling ejecting fans and nicking people for nothing.I read a little while later that there was an investigation into the force dealing with football due to a high percentage of arrests at home games there
This user liked this post: SpringHillClaret

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Claretforever wrote:Before my time, but having checked we beat Huddersfield 3-0 in the next round before losing to West Ham in the quarter finals.
We were so unlucky not to win that 6th Round match at Upton Park, it should have been us going through to the semi-final and not West Ham. I remember being gutted after the game.

One notable stat was that was the last game that Connelly and Pointer both scored in the same game for us. Both of them had been prolific scorers in their time here but some three months after the West Ham game John left us for Man United and Ray scored just one more goal for us before leaving for Bury I think.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You must have a long memory - it's 55 years since they played in the FA Cup on the Turf.
Thanks Tony and I remember you to from school and standing on The Popular (Long) Side. In particular an anouncement over the tannoy confirming a forthcoming match to be played on a weekday afternoon (unusual circumstances) and you, red-faced, howled out, as loud as any tannoy, "we're worrŕrrrkin'"! (so you'd left school by then).

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:It’s Reshmin Chowdhury. She’s done **** loads of presenting and interviews on various tv corporations all over the world. You might have seen her hosting the fifa world player of the year event thingy in English/French and Spanish.

Then again I’m not so sure what you get to see/hear in Vegas.

now you say that I have indeed seen her doing the FIFA stuff, maybe she was having an off day because she was dreadful

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:We were so unlucky not to win that 6th Round match at Upton Park, it should have been us going through to the semi-final and not West Ham. I remember being gutted after the game.

One notable stat was that was the last game that Connelly and Pointer both scored in the same game for us. Both of them had been prolific scorers in their time here but some three months after the West Ham game John left us for Man United and Ray scored just one more goal for us before leaving for Bury I think.
Remember John Connelly putting us one up in the game. As you say we were seeing the beginnings of the end of a wonderful era for our club.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Remember John Connelly putting us one up in the game. As you say we were seeing the beginnings of the end of a wonderful era for our club.
Well it was, but it was also the start of another, particularly in terms of goalscorers.

Pointer (with a goals/games ratio of 2.03) and Jimmy Robson were now being edged out by the new kids on the block, Willie Irvine and Andy Lochhead. In terms of the ratio Willie was the most prolific in our entire history with 1.53, which even surpassed the legendary George Beel and Bert Freeman.

We were certainly blessed with some wonderful strikers from the mid-fifties for the next twelve years or so.