David Bowie

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: David Bowie

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:13 pm

TVC15 wrote:It was 1987 for Maine road and Cardiff arms park.
I was always jealous of the Maine road support acts as I liked them both.
Just looked up the one I went to and it was Screaming Blue Messiahs. The other support was Big Country who were very good.
You're right, it was 87. Had to go on a bus, only way of getting tickets.

careyclaret
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by careyclaret » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:14 am

Like many I saw the MK concert and agree it was great. Saw him seven other times. So many great songs and albums as well as other accomplishments. For me, the greatest artist of our time.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:Queen Bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5P63qGTm_g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This - by some distance!!

Ziggy Stardust
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Post by Ziggy Stardust » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Loved the first two albums Space Oddity especially Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud and Memory of a Free Festival and The Man Who Sold the World some cracking rock tracks on there The Width of a Circle, All the Madmen, Running Gun Blues and the title track.

The opening to Let's Dance on the radio always gets perks me up as well.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 am

Sorry I am a bit late on this one, though it is still on the front page.

So many ground-breaking albums, and wonderful singles..plus the fashion, the interviews, the acting, the influencer and cultural icon, he died too soon.

In recent years this has been my favourite Bowie song..a real valuable message in it.

If you have time look at the comments underneath the recording [2100 of them]..I have included a bunch of them here.

David Bowie - 'Rock n Roll Suicide' [from Ziggy Stardust]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'This song saves lifes. Thank you, Bowie.'

'I was going through a tough time just a few weeks ago. I was sad a lot. Listening to music was one of the few things I enjoyed. I played the Ziggy Stardust album. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide is the last song on the album. The lyrics near the end of this song, "I've had my share. I'll help you with the pain. You're not alone!" made me cry. But it made me happy also. I wasn't alone. Today, the man who comforted me by saying I wasn't alone... the man who comforted me by saying he's had his share and he could help me with the pain... has died. I can't stop listening to this song. RIP David Bowie.'

'A stranger sent me this song in March 2 years ago when I was going through a very bad time. I had never heard this song before, so it resonated with me so much at that moment. David Bowie is the reason I'm alive today. I wish I could thank that stranger for sending me this song, but I guess I can thank Bowie for always being my friend when I needed one.'

'The last lines in this song were such a life-saving and hope-filled inspiration to me as a young, kooky teenager going through my darkest hours of loneliness, fear and despair. God bless you, David. :-)

'This really helped me with my depression, thanks David.'

'as a mentally ill, deeply troubled teen, this song kept me going countless times because I truly believed Bowie would be with me and reaching for my hand..'

'I swear this song saved me. RIP Bowie..'

'this song saved me when i was thinking about suicide..'

'This is a song that I listen to, when I feel really down... like today. As a clinical depression sufferer I've thought not once or twice about ending it all. It's music like this, that shows me that life is still beautiful and worth living. Thank you for existing, Mr. Bowie, you fine man. Your artistry gives me hope and saves me still. Greetings from Berlin! We miss you...'

'This song, is the reason why i'm still alive'..
Last edited by hampsteadclaret on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Stalbansclaret

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:46 am

He saved me too!....Long story.

When he died i felt i'd lost someone really close!

I was lucky enough to meet him once...filming a David Bowie / Tone loc video in Los Angeles.I was operating a smoke machine next to him, & I nervously said hello David, and he just smiled and said hello back.....very natural.
He was so much more than a rock icon!..
He even showed us how to die with dignity!...Love on ya David!

So many songs and the favorite changes all the time.....but 'Time' is up there and Black star is amazing.
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Hard to believe that it’s now three years since we were all stunned at the news of his death. Some fantastic posts and links on this thread. The one thing is, his music will live on.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm

My son has Severe Learning Differculties, when I first brought him to the Turf they were playing Heroes before the match started...he absolutely loved it...its played in the car on the way to every home match at full blast.
This user liked this post: TVC15

J_Grimshaw
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by J_Grimshaw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm

when you are in the car going to home matches, how about adding Drive in Saturday to the play list

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Hard to believe that it’s now three years since we were all stunned at the news of his death. Some fantastic posts and links on this thread. The one thing is, his music will live on.
His last live performance was back in 2006 at a benefits gig in New York. He only sang 3 songs including a duet with Alicia Keys singing Changes. Unfortunately the only footage I can find is pretty poor so won't post a link.
He was not that well back in 2006 recovering from several heart attacks in the previous couple of years.

Just reading something from his longest serving band member pianist Mike Garson who said that Bowie had told him back in the 70s that he had been to see a phsycic who had said he was going to die when he was either 69 or 70 and Bowie was always convinced that this was going to happen.
Garson and a few others (Earl Slick, Carmine Rojas and others) are doing a Bowie celebration concert in manchester tomorrow...its sold out though.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm

First album my ex wife ever bought me was Ziggy Stardust

ReddishClaret
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by ReddishClaret » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Watching the glass spider tour on YouTube now. Saw it live at main road 87 I think