Owen Jones on This Week

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Owen Jones on This Week

Post by thatdberight » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:One of the smartest, informed, articulate journalists around and not afraid to say inconvenient things.

I can well understand how OJ would get up the nose of plenty on here, good for him.

However..his style, his approach, his stubbornness, does sometimes grate with me.
If he reigned it in a bit and calmed down, he would be more effective...he's young, this will improve.

- I wish some telly savvy friend of his, would take him to one side and give him some training, a few tips.
Says the person who calls George Osborne, "Gideon". Cos, look he's got a posh middle name - he's a toff... Boo!
Don't you think that unthinking, meaningless ad hominem attack simply allows (or even causes) many people to write off your content?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Life is the longest thing any of us will ever do
What about death?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Tall Paul wrote:What about death?
Correct

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:But those eras involve left v right!

Post war for example

- Russia went communist
- Germany went right after fighting in the streets between communists and the Nazis
- Spain all out civil war which ended up as communists v fascists
- Italy went right
- Yugoslavia, Romania, Greece, Bulgaria etc etc

Only the UK, US and Czechoslovakia really avoided it.

I see the point you are making about the similarities but........
Soviet occupied Czechoslovakia avoided what exactly? :shock:
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

101. thatdberight.. you got all excited because I referred to George Osborn as Gideon..!?.. which is in fact one of his names. Wind your neck in you dope... it’s micky- taking it happens on here all day every day. I would have thought after your performance this afternoon on here where you made a proper buffoon of yourself, you would now be lying low for a few days, keeping a lid on it.
I don’t give a flying one what you think of ‘my content’ you should look at your own comments.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Soviet occupied Czechoslovakia avoided what exactly?
Pre 1939 lads.

Thats the period we are talking about here, the bit between 1918-1939

Until its occupation by the Germans in March 1939, the Czechs had a relatively stable democracy

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm

I have just watched it on catch up.

The two programmes I thought I would hate were the TV highlight of my week - Jones getting mauled on This Week and the Channel 4 News Brexit backfire yesterday (the one where they had an audience of young people, two thirds Remain by the admission of their editor, and only the Brexit supporting ones had any passion, the rest said little, to the astonishment of Jon Snow).

Back to Jones, the smug little prat’s biggest weakness is his defence of anything Corbyn and his refusal to accept anything equivalent about left and right wing violence. Portillo nailed him on the IRA sympathiser thing, and as for the crusade against Neil, when in a hole stop digging. In his Guardian column in April he wrote the whole thing about Neil, and singled out Neil’s (correct) dressing down of Caroline Lucas for speaking of parliamentary bullying on the day the big news story was Telford grooming gangs. That’s Jones (and Lucas) for you - if the victim isn’t a minority, they ain’t interested. Indefensible hypocrisy.
These 3 users liked this post: turbo5 jrtod61 Dazzler

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 pm

What a thread. Some of the best belming I've seen on here.

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:101. thatdberight.. you got all excited because I referred to George Osborn as Gideon..!?.. which is in fact one of his names. Wind your neck in you dope... it’s micky- taking it happens on here all day every day. I would have thought after your performance this afternoon on here where you made a proper buffoon of yourself, you would now be lying low for a few days, keeping a lid on it.
I don’t give a flying one what you think of ‘my content’ you should look at your own comments.
So WHY did you call him Gideon?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:11 pm

lovebeingaclaret wrote:So WHY did you call him Gideon?
Because as most people know it's his name.
His name is Gideon Oliver Osborne.
George is a name of his won invention that he decided to adopt when he was a teenager.
(Seemingly he liked it better than Gideon and it was his grandfather's name.)

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm

109.. I called him Gideon because that is his name.. as christened... why do you think? :shock:

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:I have just watched it on catch up.

The two programmes I thought I would hate were the TV highlight of my week - Jones getting mauled on This Week and the Channel 4 News Brexit backfire yesterday (the one where they had an audience of young people, two thirds Remain by the admission of their editor, and only the Brexit supporting ones had any passion, the rest said little, to the astonishment of Jon Snow).

Back to Jones, the smug little prat’s biggest weakness is his defence of anything Corbyn and his refusal to accept anything equivalent about left and right wing violence. Portillo nailed him on the IRA sympathiser thing, and as for the crusade against Neil, when in a hole stop digging. In his Guardian column in April he wrote the whole thing about Neil, and singled out Neil’s (correct) dressing down of Caroline Lucas for speaking of parliamentary bullying on the day the big news story was Telford grooming gangs. That’s Jones (and Lucas) for you - if the victim isn’t a minority, they ain’t interested. Indefensible hypocrisy.
Portillo didn’t nail him on the IRA sympathiser thing at all
Neil came across as the bigoted buffoon he is
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

JinkingJames
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by JinkingJames » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Owen Jones behaviour on This Week was in my opinion disgraceful and on the borders of slander. He should stop trying to walk into brick walls, like Andrew Neill, and stick to interviewing the likes of our Joey.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:109.. I called him Gideon because that is his name.. as christened... why do you think? :shock:
Hi Hampstead, are you familiar with the idea of using the name that the individual has chosen to identify themselves by?

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 pm

114.. well yes that’s reasonable. It’s also reasonable for me to refer to George Osborne as ‘Gideon’ if I wish to bearing in mind that that is the name on his birth certificate.ie - that is his ‘legal’ name and when the bloke went for his first passport or driving licence ‘Gideon’ would have been written on both of them, not George.

** This is not the thread for it but next time George Osborne gets a mention on here, maybe there could be a bit of an informed discussion about his unimaginative and crass failed austerity policy, which did so much damage to so many citizens, rather than what christian name we should give him.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:
** This is not the thread for it but next time George Osborne gets a mention on here, maybe there could be a bit of an informed discussion about his unimaginative and crass failed austerity policy, which did so much damage to so many citizens, rather than what christian name we should give him.
Agree, not the right thread. Be interesting to explore what the options really were in 2010 and which one(s) may have led to the best outcome.

I've no idea whether there's been any serious academic research published already in this area, or whether it's simply too soon.

I believe the consequences of and the best responses to the 1929 crash are better known these days....

biggles
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by biggles » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 pm

nice one hampstead - let's call david bowie david jones and elton john? let's call him reginald dwight just to keep it real,eh? then everyone will know who we are talking about. why you getting so angry?

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:109.. I called him Gideon because that is his name.. as christened... why do you think? :shock:
That's good then.

So why did you say you were micky taking?

Seems a bit odd that you get confused as to why you call someone by their real name as opposed to the name that someone would prefer to be called.

Does get confusing but it helps to understand our lefty friends I guess.

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 am

biggles.. not got a clue what you’re rambling on about there.
I’ve explained the name thing.
( it’s not even vaguely important by the way)

118.. some heavy drinking going on tonight?
Well it is Friday.
I’ve not had a drop myself

Err.. I called him his proper name, the one he was born with..
and
I was micky-taking the same person, as sometimes befalls people who make a massive **** up of their important job and then run away and disappear into the distance.

I’m not confused, I sympathise with your confusion though.

Got it.. you don’t like lefties...last sentence says a lot.
Explains some of the nonsense.

I know what a leftie is, and I’ve never been one in my life.
Quite a few posters on this forum think that a leftie is anybody who disagrees with them.

mdd2.. any chance of a reply, I’ve asked you twice, three times now or have you started your winter hibernation?
Another one who runs away when asked a tricky question.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:...and when the bloke went for his first passport or driving licence ‘Gideon’ would have been written on both of them, not George.
Well, that's wrong, but you're not one for dealing in facts, are you?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:41 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Because as most people know it's his name.
His name is Gideon Oliver Osborne.
George is a name of his won invention that he decided to adopt when he was a teenager.
(Seemingly he liked it better than Gideon and it was his grandfather's name.)
I'd have assumed you understood the technicalities of these things. In the UK, you are called what you wish to be called. Adopting an alias is not, in itself, against any law. However, given the obvious difficulties that would cause in these days of massive record-keeping, it's more necessary than ever to formalise the change. Osborne did that aged 13 by deed poll, numerous sources report. So his name is "George Gideon Oliver Osborne".

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 am

It seems to me plainly crackers that this twerp has now on here attracted 3 pages of comment.
Jones's one intent is to cause major dissent via his rabble-rousing opinions.
The way forward for the country, he thinks, is for us to elect a far left government and all will become sweetness and light
He has a complete inability to listen to others, far preferring the sound of his own motormouth spiling his own self opinionated beliefs.
It is amazing that given the obvious animosity twixt him and Andrew Neil, he was given air time on that show.
Have the Beeb again wilted in the belief that by providing a platform to the likes of Jones they are giving us viewers a balanced view?
Free speech is one thing, but the likes of Owen Jones's presence does not fulfil that need.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Prefeot
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Prefeot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 am

I like him

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 am

Crosspool will have completely lost the plot if this Brexit mess gets anymore less Brexity at this rate.

Wow, what a post

OffTheBar
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by OffTheBar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 am

Very hard to like the guy. Occasionally makes sense, but it’s rare. And a massive hypocrite, which of course most people are, but usually without the sanctimony.

His first ever interview with Neil was hilarious. He does at least admit that Andrew schooled him. As for AN, also quite hard to like but an exceptional interviewer; gives everyone a hard time.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 am

thatdberight wrote:I'd have assumed you understood the technicalities of these things. In the UK, you are called what you wish to be called. Adopting an alias is not, in itself, against any law. However, given the obvious difficulties that would cause in these days of massive record-keeping, it's more necessary than ever to formalise the change. Osborne did that aged 13 by deed poll, numerous sources report. So his name is "George Gideon Oliver Osborne".
Basically you're repeating and agreeing with what I said, although George isn't technically an alias. I understand the technicalities, and I didn't say that he'd done anything wrong.
Someone asked, "why Gideon"? I explained.
Why are we wasting so much time on these 2 irrelevancies. (i.e. Jones and Osborne).

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Crosspool will have completely lost the plot if this Brexit mess gets anymore less Brexity at this rate.

Wow, what a post
Morning Lancs.

This thread is nothing to do with Brexit for once, so it is a bit of a strange comment, but hey ho.

Were you not offended when the Telford (and other) grooming gang stories were only given lip service by most MPs and media outlets? Tens of thousands of innocent girls and women abused. Anna Soubry being yelled at has already received more publicity.

I can understand you struggling with it, because it is totally against the hyper-liberal agenda you believe in so passionately, but I view the likes of Jones and Lucas as toxic to our country for these reasons. That’s why I detest them, and I make no apologies for pointing out their hypocrisy, because it is directly relevant to the grudge he is having with Andrew Neil.

Life should be simple - wrongdoers should be called out and punished, whatever colour or creed they are from. Everyone is equal who abides by the law. Jones is so caught up in his bitterness he is incapable of that kind of logic.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:23 pm

charlyt wrote:It seems to me plainly crackers that this twerp has now on here attracted 3 pages of comment.
Jones's one intent is to cause major dissent via his rabble-rousing opinions.
The way forward for the country, he thinks, is for us to elect a far left government and all will become sweetness and light
He has a complete inability to listen to others, far preferring the sound of his own motormouth spiling his own self opinionated beliefs.
It is amazing that given the obvious animosity twixt him and Andrew Neil, he was given air time on that show.
Have the Beeb again wilted in the belief that by providing a platform to the likes of Jones they are giving us viewers a balanced view?
Free speech is one thing, but the likes of Owen Jones's presence does not fulfil that need.
The so called “taxpayers alliance” - an organisation that cloaks the sources of its funding in secret, along with a whole host of other similar “charities” is often called on for quotes, despite being so far to the right it recommends privatising the NHS. As for commentators, the BBC is awash with people whose views are so extreme, in order get proper balance they’d have to find someone who advocates the abolition of private property. If you look at what Jones calls for - the return of rail and energy to public ownership for example - he’s more in line with public opinion than Nigel Lawson, who still disputes climate science, or the chorus of right wing commentators calling for a no deal Brexit (who speak for only a fifth of the public at best). If he’s combative it’s no less so than most others. You’d probably do the thread greater service by taking some quotes of his, and showing us all how wrong he is.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:52 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Basically you're repeating and agreeing with what I said, although George isn't technically an alias. I understand the technicalities, and I didn't say that he'd done anything wrong.
Someone asked, "why Gideon"? I explained.
Why are we wasting so much time on these 2 irrelevancies. (i.e. Jones and Osborne).
OK. Let's leave it to there although I admit your previous statement; "His name is Gideon Oliver Osborne" seems entirely at odds with your latest post.