Coyle and Celtic

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32395 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

Coyle and Celtic

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Do you remember when Owen Coyle told us that he'd never spoken to Celtic and he would be at Burnley for as long as we wanted him?

I wonder how that sits alongside this?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... ll-u-turn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Re: Coyle and Celtic

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Fair play to him. Must have been a hard decision to turn down your boyhood club especially when its a club as big as Celtic. Shows how much Burnley meant to him and its a real shame the board didnt match his ambition and pretty much pushed him out the door to Bolton
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Fair play to him. Must have been a hard decision to turn down your boyhood club especially when its a club as big as Celtic. Shows how much Burnley meant to him and its a real shame the board didnt match his ambition and pretty much pushed him out the door to Bolton
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Fair play to him. Must have been a hard decision to turn down your boyhood club especially when its a club as big as Celtic. Shows how much Burnley meant to him and its a real shame the board didnt match his ambition and pretty much pushed him out the door to Bolton
You've written some absolute garbage on this board over time but that one takes the biscuit.
These 6 users liked this post: Quicknick longsidepies BFCmaj gawthorpe_view simonclaret Bop

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:33 pm

I'm almost in tears after reading that, poor Owen I feel for you :D
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Have to agree with that.

To turn down Celtic, guaranteed success, trophies, even bigger exposure (for a man who had a big ego and believed his hype) must have been a real difficult decision. I can only think the pull of the premier league was bigger than the pull of Celtic.

With hindsight would have been a much better move for him than sticking with a side that was never geared up to stay up or leaving for Bolton who were never going to achieve much more than they ever have in the premier league.

Don't like him. Don't believe a lot of what he says (then I dont believe a lot of what any of them say) but must have been a huge decision to turn Celtic down.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Or, if they did do that, it’s a great thing that they did as it resulted in us getting a compensation fee for dispensing with this fraud and ending up with Sean Dyche just a couple of years later.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 pm

The man is just full of utter shite.

I thought religious people were meant to be as straight as a dye.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 pm

So he turned down his boyhood team who he loves but left us for the team he played 50 odd games for.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Have to agree with that.

To turn down Celtic, guaranteed success, trophies, even bigger exposure (for a man who had a big ego and believed his hype) must have been a real difficult decision. I can only think the pull of the premier league was bigger than the pull of Celtic.

With hindsight would have been a much better move for him than sticking with a side that was never geared up to stay up or leaving for Bolton who were never going to achieve much more than they ever have in the premier league.

Don't like him. Don't believe a lot of what he says (then I dont believe a lot of what any of them say) but must have been a huge decision to turn Celtic down.
You're getting as boring as the 'Advocate' now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:The man is just full of utter shite.

I thought religious people were meant to be as straight as a dye.
He's nothing other than a downright liar who has now been well and truly found out. Players at his last two clubs actually came out and spoke about the damage he'd done at their clubs. When he took us to St. Johnstone for friendlies I couldn't understand why their fans had no time for him. I do now.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Good to see he got “first and foremost” in.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You've written some absolute garbage on this board over time but that one takes the biscuit.
Not just the biscuit but the whole lot that Mcvities and Foxes Biscuits have ever made.

Priceless.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Might be the time to report Celtic for tapping our manager up then?
I don’t know whether to believe him and is the Scottish Sun any more reliable?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Thank god, we hadn’t had an Owen Coyle thread for, what, must have been a fortnight or so?

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote: I thought religious people were meant to be as straight as a dye.
Colin ****** goes to church every Sunday, so no.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Thank god, we hadn’t had an Owen Coyle thread for, what, must have been a fortnight or so?

It was your uplifting positive posts that kept the Coyle threads away.

Yawn

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Wow, just wow. You really can post the most amazing stuff. Oh, and that's not a compliment by the way.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 pm

The clue is in the Username folks...
This user liked this post: Leisure

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 pm

It would be nice if we could just move on. How many times do you need to give this guy exposure by commenting on him?

The club has moved on and is in a better position at least to some extent because of what he achieved here.

Show me someone has never told a lie and I’ll show you a liar

bobinho
Been Liked: 4093 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Think it’s one of those ironic usernames random. Ya know, like having the nickname “tiny” when you’re 19 stone and 6’7”.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by criminalclaret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 pm

I am grateful for that 08/09 season, we had a great cup run, some great away days followed by the pinnacle of playing and winning at Wembly. It was magical and will be etched in my memory for a long time.

I am very apathetic towards the bloke in the 9 years since he left. I mean, we have achieved and progressed in leaps and bounds since having our "season in the sun". I think there is likely some truth that after the first few months of glamour playing the big teams, when he realised we were getting trounced every week, that he probably regretted not taking the Celtic job and thought Bolton was the stable option. And the rest they say is history.

Burnley was the pinnacle of his career. He gambled that and has never achieved anything like success in the 10 years since. Every move since Burnley had been a downward one. I don't really care what is written about him, what interview he does, I don't hate nor despise him and to be honest I couldn't really give a rats arse about Coyle.
These 4 users liked this post: Leisure Bosscat cricketfieldclarets bob-the-scutter

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Devils_Advocate is rapidly becoming my favourite user on here. It doesn’t matter how obvious the bait is, someone always bites. :lol:
This user liked this post: Shappie

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 am

Looking back, it would have been better if he had gone after the Playoff win. Nobody would have begrudged his leaving to go to his childhood club. We would have had time to get a decent replacement in and a preseason with a transfer window, to hit the ground running. As it was, he left at the very worst time, our January window was terrible and we got the wrong man in due to the need to move quickly. We were not very far off that season, and it wouldn't have taken very much for us to stay up.

Once he decided to stay, he should have stayed. But I'd prefer that he hadn't. We would have looked back on his time her differently if he had gone.

JinkingJames
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by JinkingJames » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 am

Why bring Coyle up again? It's past. Wanders round Clitheroe dreaming of past glories whilst our Scotty wows on the other side of Glasgow. The difference could be put down to professional endeavour.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 am

"He (Dermot) said great, obviously we need to speak to Burnley and see what happens from there.

"We obviously had the celebration and everything else to go through so we said we would leave it a couple of days and take it from there.

This reads like they’d had the conversation without consent from Burnley. He’d decided to go to Celtic had a conversation behind our backs. From this we can assume he also did the same with Bolton.

Hibs Claret, I’ll be forever greatful for that May Day at Wembley, and Chelsea etc. he’s part of our history, so we talk about him, he left in the worst possible way. Why don’t you get over the fact that some people were, and still are angry about it.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 am

What is it with Coyle and elongated titles?

Like he always used to say “Barclays Premier league” instead of just “Premier League”, or “Burnley Football Club” rather than just “Burnley”, he insists on calling Celtic “Glasgow Celtic”? I lived in Scotland for years and no self respecting Celtic fan would ever have referred to them as Glasgow Celtic. It’s just Celtic - that’s their name. The Glasgow bit goes without saying.

Does he think it makes him sound more important? I think it makes him sound like a nob. I think it says a lot about him. Pretentious ****.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:23 am

Is this the most laughing emojis on a single thread since Ringo got banned?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 am

When we got promoted Coyle was asked if he was leaving for Celtic. He stated he wouldn’t leave and they haven't spoke to him. Fast forward to when he joined Bolton he stated (either directly or through Nixon, can’t remember) that he had shown loyalty to Burnley by turning down Celtic.

That’s the problem with Coyle. I didn’t mind him leaving for Bolton. At the time they were light years in front of us in terms of facilities and squad quality. Little did we know that it was built on Wonga loans. I didn’t even mind he left mid season.

The problem I had with Coyle was the manner in which he did it. The lies about Celtic, the no show at MK, and the use of Nixon to spread nonsense and to slag off our board.

It’s not what he did it’s the way that he did it.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 am

I thought he only stayed at Burnley because of his £1m bonus for promotion ?
It certainly wasn’t out of any loyalty or love for the club - the rest of his career showed little of no evidence of that.

Anyway seeing him on TV recently it looks like his bonus has been spent on donuts

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 am

Didn't realise that Donald Trump is a poster on here.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:44 am

I wonder when this meeting with the Celtic board took place?
In the preparation time for Wembley?
If so, completely unprofessional and unacceptable.
Because as soon as the whistle blew at Wembley this situation developed.
So I doubt this meeting was after Wembley.

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 am

Do you all seriously think that Dyche has never spoken to other clubs or their intermediaries since he has been at Burnley? Even though he says he hasn’t? Nobody is open about looking at new jobs to current employers. Coyle’s limitations were obvious and he regressed dramatically but he still gave us the most exciting year in my lifetime and this continuing obsession and mock outrage is a bit weird.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 am

You’ve got to hand it to coyle in a way, he’s got quite a PR machine, for someone who hasn’t been relevant for years.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 am

Hibsclaret wrote:It would be nice if we could just move on. How many times do you need to give this guy exposure by commenting on him?
Agreed. Well beyond the point of caring.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 am

Given Coyles’s ‘success’ since he left Burnley, half of Glasgow must be breathing a collective sigh of relief after realising what a lucky escape they had.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Might be the time to report Celtic for tapping our manager up then?
I don’t know whether to believe him and is the Scottish Sun any more reliable?
Didn’t we do the same to St Johnstone 20 months before?

Uwe Noble
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 286 times

Post by Uwe Noble » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am

That's exactly what happened.

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 am

SGr wrote:Devils_Advocate is rapidly becoming my favourite user on here. It doesn’t matter how obvious the bait is, someone always bites. :lol:
And that's why he keeps posting. :lol:

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 am

These threads are absolutely hilarious

We all know that Coyle jumps ship at the first sign of a better offer, otherwise we'd never have got him in the first place.

There was a thread on twitter about Luton fans going mental when Jones left them for Stoke. Small clubs lose managers to big clubs when they have been successful. They tend to leave the the smaller club in a much better place then when they first got there.

Its football.

He'll always be a ****, but he's the **** who got my team into the premier league for the first time in my life supporting them which cuts him a hell of a lot more slack with me.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 am

scouseclaret wrote:What is it with Coyle and elongated titles?

Like he always used to say “Barclays Premier league” instead of just “Premier League”, or “Burnley Football Club” rather than just “Burnley”, he insists on calling Celtic “Glasgow Celtic”? I lived in Scotland for years and no self respecting Celtic fan would ever have referred to them as Glasgow Celtic. It’s just Celtic - that’s their name. The Glasgow bit goes without saying.

Does he think it makes him sound more important? I think it makes him sound like a nob. I think it says a lot about him. Pretentious ****.
He does it to differentiate between the other big teams he’s been asked to manage.

For example I hear he’s been offered the Brierfield Celtic under 9s job, but needs time to mull it over before going toe to toe with the likes of Fulledge Colts.
This user liked this post: scouseclaret

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am

I read this post as being sarcastic but it's for real, isn't it.

My view is similar to Lancaster Clarets. That promotion season, with the cup runs, and the football, was surely the most exciting for many on here, partly because it was so unexpected, and delivered us something no-one could have reasonably envisaged. Yes, Coyle's departure was sour, but we owe him a big debt. Sure, the man is flawed, but who isn't.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 am

Owen Coyle; I loved him when he was here, despised him for the way he left, and now I genuinely dont give a tu’penny f* ck about the chap.

Football Fans, eh?
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat cricketfieldclarets

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am

Owen Coyle was God till he sh@t all over us to go to Bolton Wankerererers.

As others have said his Stock has slowly sunk like the tyre with a slow puncture in the 9 years since....

Isn't karma wonderful.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am

The lying liar lied. Again.

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by criminalclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am

I just don't the obsession some people still have with him so many years later. Yeah at the time I was livid and upset and hated the bloke. But as the years gone on, we have become a much better and stable club and are now reaping the rewards. He has gone the opposite. Everything has balanced out the way things do in life.

He'll never achieve the heights being a manager compared to the heights that we have enjoyed as fans.

We won a long time ago.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Having spoken to an extremely close member of his family shortly afterwards I was told that he wanted to take the job and had agreed to go, but his Mrs was the one who said no as it would have meant more disruption for his then young family having just settled near to Whalley, so he gave backword.