How did you end up supporting Burnley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Re: How did you end up supporting Burnley?

Post by Test User » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 am

I was trying to find the most racist club possible to adequately project my racism but then the foreigner Abramovich bought them so instead I settled on Burnley.

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:42 am

Test User wrote:I was trying to find the most racist club possible to adequately project my racism but then the foreigner Abramovich bought them so instead I settled on Burnley.
Careful CD, that kind of mindset could lead to losing your job through inattentiveness and rudeness via a bad attitude. I suppose the upside in such desperate times is the opportunity to scam generous foreigners on some loan site to pay for bus passes, phone repairs, groceries etc.

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 am

Dad and Grandad supported Burnley. My mum’s dad was a Bolton fan but used to have a season ticket at the Turf to go on with my dad. My first match must have been around 1980. Don’t know who it was against but just remember the noise of the Longside from the Bee-Hole. First matches I really remember were around ‘86 when I was a member in the Cricket Field stand with my younger brother and my dad. Vividly remember the Orient Game. Used to go on with school mates in the early 90s but that stopped a bit mid 90s when I was at college and music took over my life. Got back into football more around ‘98 after I’d left uni and although I don’t manage to go on the Turf as much as I’d like, I still either watch or listen to every game somehow! ;)

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:57 am

I was born in Burnley and at that time it was illegal to support any other club than the one in the place you were breeched :)

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 am

Coming from Rammy we are right in the middle of loads of clubs. Utd, City, Bolton, Bury, Liverpool & Everton were the main teams in school. Must of my football supporting relatives were Man U fans. At Christmas 1969 I was bought a ticket for United v Wolves (0-0) on Boxing Day, stretford end seats. It was ok, but I was never going to support United. I was then taken to Gigg Lane. Enjoyed that more than Old Trafford. Maybe the 8-0 win had something to do with it. Then beginning of the 70/71 season I was taken to Turf Moor. 17th September. Arsenal. Lost 1-2, stood at the front of the Bee Hole on the green mesh fence. I was hooked. Went to every home game for the rest of the season. 40 years a season ticket holder, I now also live in Australia.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 am

I was small (age 6) with my first set of football cards. I didn't know where any of the places were, which I suppose was reasonable enough as I dont think I'd even been to a city until I was 9 and there was no league club within at least 40 miles.

I liked two of the teams on the cards and somehow managed to pick the two that were furthest from my house. Looking back, they were decent choices too, as I could not have stuck with at least 50% of the others.

Burt
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Burt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 am

My Dad was a Stanley fan, born and bred in Accy and when they folded he started watching Burnley. Took me on my first game in 1973 against Spurs at home

It was a night match and 2-2, Pat Jennings in goal for them with Peters and Chivers up front

We used to go Burnley home then Rovers home :oops:

Rest is history

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

4:20 wrote:Careful CD, that kind of mindset could lead to losing your job through inattentiveness and rudeness via a bad attitude. I suppose the upside in such desperate times is the opportunity to scam generous foreigners on some loan site to pay for bus passes, phone repairs, groceries etc.
I trick people into giving me their money as a money-making hobby anyway, so turning it into a job wouldn't be much of a leap.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 am

Dad brought me on late sixties. Fell for them then. Still blissfully happy with the relationship.

not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by not waving » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 am

Been an ardent Burnley fan over 60 years. Sponsored matches (home and away) and match balls (home and away). Sponsored match day programmes - all during the lean years. Purchased hospitality for business colleagues. Sponsored players. Attended events and charitable dinners. Travelled all over. Sat in the Bob Lord for the Orient game. Ran onto the pitch afterwards for the first time ever. Met my all time hero Willie Irvine who personally apologised to me for making me cry when he left for Preston.

Never lived in Burnley. Not born there. Still live almost 200 miles away.

To answer the OP question...I've asked myself that many a time.
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler Aclaret

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4570 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm

I was born

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

My Father drove the Pennine bus football special from Skipton to home games, he was a fan. As soon as I was deemed old enough I would sneak on the bus for free. The fact my Grandfather was part owner of the company probably helped! This was in the mid 1960s. Been a fan ever since, fell away from attending due to playing various Saturday sports, but now I am too old for that(apart from cricket) have had a season ticket for a while.
This user liked this post: Yorkiclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:22 pm

My very first game was against Maidstone United. I went on with my dad and sister, but we thought we were meeting my dad's friends in the Bee Hole end - turns out we were actually meeting up in the Longside. My dad had to convince the security guard to let us through to the Bee Hole end. Anyway, we won.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Deoxyribonucleic acid took me there.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:17 pm

FactualFrank wrote:My very first game was against Maidstone United. I went on with my dad and sister, but we thought we were meeting my dad's friends in the Bee Hole end - turns out we were actually meeting up in the Longside. My dad had to convince the security guard to let us through to the Bee Hole end. Anyway, we won.
Was it this one..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fWm5ZwwMI4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Dazzler wrote:Was it this one..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fWm5ZwwMI4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think it was that one mate yes. Well researched. I knew we won. What a blast from the past.

Does anybody else remember being on that game?

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I think it was that one mate yes. Well researched. I knew we won. What a blast from the past.

Does anybody else remember being on that game?
Thing is though Frank the first time we beat them at home was the season before and that was also 2-1.