Tom Cairney

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Tom Cairney

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:06 pm

McClean is a wide mdfielder. Cairney and Allen would be excellent imo. And an upgrade on both Cork and our back up options.

Ramsey is pure fantasy.
Toure could still happen but I doubt it now.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 pm

I’m backing you on McClean and Toure definitely happening. Especially with the shape we keep. They are obviously waiting to get next years season tickets prices ready before they announce.

I just can’t see Cairney as well. The others seem done deals to me, I just can’t see another.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Steve1956 wrote:I think the something thrown, was a contract.
I got the impression it was your season ticket :evil:
This user liked this post: Steve1956

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:40 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:I know my eyes aren’t quite what they used to be, but the players in those circles could be anyone!
Definitely cairney... An elderly gentleman in the Bob Lord stand held one of those cardboard signs up in the bob lord requesting his Bib! Saw it with my own eyes....
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets randomclaret2

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 pm

tim_noone wrote:Definitely cairney... An elderly gentleman in the Bob Lord stand held one of those cardboard signs up in the bob lord requesting his Bib! Saw it with my own eyes....
Did the sign you saw have any horse racing tips?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Did the sign you saw have any horse racing tips?
Nope....but the old chap did resemble happy!

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 am

MACCA wrote:Same with a wand of a left foot.

Why are all deflections wicked?
Not all deflections are wicked...... But there were a couple today ;-))

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 am

tim_noone wrote:Nope....
Probably for the best.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Probably for the best.
Correct....let it go.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:I’m backing you on McClean and Toure definitely happening. Especially with the shape we keep. They are obviously waiting to get next years season tickets prices ready before they announce.

I just can’t see Cairney as well. The others seem done deals to me, I just can’t see another.
Before the stunning emergence of Dwight this season I would have said that we could use another left winger. However, with Brady and Dwight for the left side I don't think we need another one. It should also be said that Lennon and JBG can also do a job there.

If we do bring in a new winger then surely we should be looking for a right winger and preferably one that can play on both sides. Going further I would like someone that can also do a job in midfield or at least another position up front.

A predominantly left winger like McClean would either warm our bench or restrict Dwight's playing opportunities.

No offence to James, but I would rather see a quality young player getting game time than a player closer towards the end of his career. Having Dwight on the pitch also sends out a very positive message to the players in our development squad and any new prospects we might look to bring in. Another factor that has to be taken into account is that Dwight doesn't count towards our 25 first team slots, because he is only 19 and he doesn't have to be registered. If we bring in James and ship Dwight out on loan to ensure game time we will have used an extra slot for minimal gain.

I'm guessing that the references apply to the recently released Yaya Toure and not Almamy Toure or the countless other Toures in the football world, on a pay as he plays deal for the rest of the season. I can't imagine that we would give him a permanent contract. Obviously, he can still do a bit at the moment, but he isn't a long term option and I think we should be looking for a player who can be that.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned a lot is how few first team slots we actually have to fill.

First Team (22)

Tom Heaton, Nick Pope, Joe Hart

Stephen Ward, Charlie Taylor, Ben Mee, Ben Gibson, James Tarkowski, Kevin Long, Matt Lowton, Phil Bardsley.

Robbie Brady, Jack Cork, Ashley Westwood, Jeff Hendrick, Steven Defour, Aaron Lennon, Johann Berg Gudmundsson,

Sam Vokes, Ashley Barnes, Chris Wood, Matej Vydra

On Loan (2)

Jonathan Walters, Nahki Wells

U21 (3)

Dwight McNeill, Jimmy Dunne, Daniel Agyei

So we have 3 potential slots to fill in this window. If we fill them all in this window we won't be able to bring anyone in during the next window without players leaving.

One of our keepers could leave in the next window, Bardsley is proving himself worthy of a contract extension, I expect Ward to play well and justify a contract extension now that he is back with us and Defour is arguably our best technical player when he is on the pitch. Walters will probably move on and the future of Nahki is still a bit up in the air.

That gives us a grand total of 3, possibly 4 slots to fill in this window and the next, providing we don't lose any players unexpectedly.

The thought that we might be allocating two of those precious slots to McClean and Toure might be cause for concern, when we could bring in some younger players who could be with us for a longer duration. And that doesn't take into account transfer fees, declining value, and wages.

I could certainly see Cairney here, especially if he is unhappy at Fulham. The fact that Rigg was the one who signed him for Fulham is another interesting titbit that nobody has mentioned yet, possibly his best signing for them.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 am

It’s worth the entrance fee just to giggle at the bitching on here.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Cairney is exactly the type of player that we need. Creative, can shoot and seems to have a good footballing brain. Can play out wide or on behind a forward. Can't blame him for being unhappy or any Fulham players who worked their arses off last season only to be sat on the bench week in week out after spending 120 million over the summer. If we signed Cairney and a winger with pace that would make for an excellent transfer window in my eyes.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

tim_noone wrote:I got the impression it was your season ticket :evil:
Brilliant! As always Timothy :lol:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Linked with West Ham. £20m bid rejected on 25m to follow.

https://www.lovesportradio.com/news/lov ... exclusive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

All of this is fantasy, we aren't signing anyone. It's the SD way.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Steddyman wrote:All of this is fantasy, we aren't signing anyone. It's the SD way.
He usually makes signings in transfer windows. Can only see him bringing in one though if any.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:31 pm

seems like Fulham are trying to sign Chelsea

"Gary Cahill is thought to be closest to signing a loan deal at Craven Cottage but he and team-mates Danny Drinkwater and Victor Moses were all recently shown around the training ground in an effort to convince them to make a switch"

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:33 pm

taio wrote:He usually makes signings in transfer windows. Can only see him bringing in one though if any.
Unfortunately I think Sean's biggest failure is he sometimes can't see how poor we are up front, he only cares how well we defend.

We just punted the ball upfield for all of the 2nd half yesterday and got nowhere. After our away match at Southampton when we looked to play football, Sean has gone back to his safe zone.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Steddyman wrote:Unfortunately I think Sean's biggest failure is he sometimes can't see how poor we are up front, he only cares how well we defend.

We just punted the ball upfield for all of the 2nd half yesterday and got nowhere. After our away match at Southampton when we looked to play football, Sean has gone back to his safe zone.
We played plenty of football against West Ham, Huddersfield and in the first half yesterday.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Steddyman wrote:Unfortunately I think Sean's biggest failure is he sometimes can't see how poor we are up front, he only cares how well we defend.

It's ok we won and we are now playing better. We do need another forward who offers something different if Vydra isn't going to be used. Options will be limited though.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm

taio wrote:It's ok we won and we are now playing better. We do need another forward who offers something different if Vydra isn't going to be used. Options will be limited though.
We definitely need a different option to lobbing it long.