ARTICLE: The resilience, character and energy is back in the side

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

ARTICLE: The resilience, character and energy is back in the side

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Claudio Ranieri & Sean Dyche on our win against Fulham

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/the-resilie ... n-the-side" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: ARTICLE: The resilience, character and energy is back in the side

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Well said and very honest from SD. That second half was actually a joy to watch. Bit strange I know but in games before this run and with Hart in goal I doubt we would have kept them out and we would have conceded 3 or 4 again. Not laying all the blame on Hart but there seems to be a shift in how much the defenders are now willing to put their bodies on the line as proved with Tarks. Also I am not putting it down to coincidence that Charlie Taylor is now starting to look more like a top flight defender with Heaton shouting out instructions to the back 4 constantly. It was good to see the backs to the wall, all together as one spirit return

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Ranieri always seems to come across very well
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Well said and very honest from SD. That second half was actually a joy to watch. Bit strange I know but in games before this run and with Hart in goal I doubt we would have kept them out and we would have conceded 3 or 4 again. Not laying all the blame on Hart but there seems to be a shift in how much the defenders are now willing to put their bodies on the line as proved with Tarks. Also I am not putting it down to coincidence that Charlie Taylor is now starting to look more like a top flight defender with Heaton shouting out instructions to the back 4 constantly. It was good to see the backs to the wall, all together as one spirit return
It's all about opinions, but I couldn't honestly say that 2nd half was a joy to watch.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:16 pm

The second half was the atuff of heart attacks.Why did we not use all our subs as clearly after playing againgst the wind first half we were running on empty and needed fresh legs

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Apart from Dwight McNeil and a mad 10 minute spell for Jeff Hendrick it was as poor as I can remember.
If that doesn't make Garlick get his chequebook out then nowt will.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Transpennine wrote:It's all about opinions, but I couldn't honestly say that 2nd half was a joy to watch.
Neither could I,we sat back and let a team with a awful defensive record attack us time after time.. Strange really when a bit more attacking from us would have paid off with more goals.. A massive three points though in the end 8-)

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Let's be honest it wasn't great again - need 1 or 2 in before next game
These 2 users liked this post: JarrowClaret claretfern

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Don't think we need much to see us through this season tbh players wise.Last 3 games we have played 5 good halfs of playing football and put our body's on the line in the other half.I am happy we have enough to stay up and there is no one out there really right now within our budget to make much difference.You can't beat tried and tested we need this player and that player never solves anything hardly!

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm

First time ever we've started the second half of a Premier League campaign with three wins.

Also believe we've never had a Premier League campaign where we've got more points in the second half of the season than the first half.

We got 17 pts in each half of Dyche's first PL campaign if memory serves.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 pm

“That second half was actually a joy to watch”

I just don’t get that comment. Yes we’ve won and what a big win it was. But we didn’t get a shot on target against an extremely poor side. How can that be a joy to watch? No way are we out of the woods yet.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 pm

I thought we played really well first half, and caused them all sorts of problems. Second half was bloody awful. We stopped all the short passing and probing of the first half and resorted to the long boot again. In that bloody wind. The few times we kept the ball on the deck we looked fine, and the last few minutes we saw out well, but we have to get rid of this habit of negative football that put us down the bottom in the first place.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 pm

The funny thing is when we went one nil down I was very confident we would win. Thats very rarely the case at this level for us. Especially with our lack of pace and creativity. But looking at fulhams line up and tactics I wasnt worried in the slightest.

The frustrating is, if we wanted to we could have carved them up and scored 4 or 5.

Absolutely need bodies in but another ground out win and we would take them every day of the week.

Slight dig at the fans feom dyche re hendrick too. He was fantastic today in another unnatural position for him. And even after his awful shot early on he kept his confidence. Some of his passing and movement was brilliant.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Transpennine wrote:It's all about opinions, but I couldn't honestly say that 2nd half was a joy to watch.
Neither would I. It was one pointless punt up the field after another.

I wish Sean would have told them to keep playing and attacking as we did in the first half.

It was awful conditions though, I can't imagine it was pleasant to play in for anyone.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:“That second half was actually a joy to watch”

I just don’t get that comment. Yes we’ve won and what a big win it was. But we didn’t get a shot on target against an extremely poor side. How can that be a joy to watch? No way are we out of the woods yet.
I know a strange comment but just felt that the back 5 were back to what they were last season. Things like Tarks instinctively going back on the goal line to close the angles for Heaton and make the goal smaller. That hasnt happened with hart in goal. The togetherness just looks like it is returning. I know we could have been better but the conditions were terrible and i understand same for both sides.

I just felt coming off that the team of last season is returning (defensively). Yes didnt do much up front but its another game for Barnes and Wood to build up their relationship again. Another 90 mins for McNeil who is not just good going forward but defending is niggly with sticking his feet towards the ball again and again. Also the growth of Charlie Taylor with Heaton positioninh him and barking encouragement and when he is going forward him and mcneil seem to be on the same wavelength and always pretty close together meaning defences are unsure whicb of them is going to attack or put the ball in the box

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I know a strange comment but just felt that the back 5 were back to what they were last season. Things like Tarks instinctively going back on the goal line to close the angles for Heaton and make the goal smaller. That hasnt happened with hart in goal. The togetherness just looks like it is returning. I know we could have been better but the conditions were terrible and i understand same for both sides.

I just felt coming off that the team of last season is returning (defensively). Yes didnt do much up front but its another game for Barnes and Wood to build up their relationship again. Another 90 mins for McNeil who is not just good going forward but defending is niggly with sticking his feet towards the ball again and again. Also the growth of Charlie Taylor with Heaton positioninh him and barking encouragement and when he is going forward him and mcneil seem to be on the same wavelength and always pretty close together meaning defences are unsure whicb of them is going to attack or put the ball in the box
There has definitely been a significant improvement from Taylor recently plus as you say good to see more grit, effort and organisation at the back

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Last two league games we've gone behind and found a way to grind out a result,that shows bouncebackability which is vital in a scrap.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 am

tiger76 wrote:Last two league games we've gone behind and found a way to grind out a result,that shows bouncebackability which is vital in a scrap.
and it's something that is notoriously difficult to do in the PL for most teams