We played our Get Out of Jail Free card today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

We played our Get Out of Jail Free card today

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:27 pm

After a disastrous start we went onto the front foot and Jeff was playing as well as I've seen him play this season.

Having gone in at half time deservedly in front, we bottled the second half and invited Fulham to equalise. Any other team would have done just that. Good job Fulham weren't that good and, quite rightly, they will go down at the end of the season.

We have given ourselves a fantastic opportunity to stay in the Circus that is the Premier League.

BUT, why does there always have to be a BUT?

Why do we make things so difficult for ourselves? Hoofing the ball almost anywhere; Retreating into our own half, Inviting Fulham to attack; Failing to find a Claret shirt time after time.

Oh yeah, and the luck of those two own goals.

Yes, we Got Out of Jail FREE today. Hopefully, we won't have to play that card too many times this season.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: We played our Get Out of Jail Free card today

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 pm

9 points from three games. 7 would have been great. 9 is fantastic. We deserved a bit of luck for a change.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Do you think maybe we invited Fulham to equalise because we knew that they were a poor team and unlikely to be able to do so? We weren’t effective in the second half but this is an incredibly tough division and we are unlikely to win many games by more than a goal.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:9 points from three games. 7 would have been great. 9 is fantastic.
But, it should have been far more comfortable with a little composure and thought, rather than panic and hoof !
These 5 users liked this post: The Enclosure bob-the-scutter bfcjg Colburn_Claret burnleymik

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Do you think maybe we invited Fulham to equalise because we knew that they were a poor team and unlikely to be able to do so?
No! I think some just bottled it. And, a win is a win.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:42 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:No! I think some just bottled it. And, a win is a win.
I’m going to ask you to expand on that: who bottled it and what specifically did they do to make you think that?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:No! I think some just bottled it. And, a win is a win.
Rubbish. Difficult conditions and a one goal lead. No one bottled it. Fulham threw everything at us but only mustered up one or two decent chances. It would be lovely to turn teams like these over but the reality is that there is little between the teams and coming off 2 wins and a goal down after 2 minutes it was a very professional display. Grinding the three points out was the important task today and we did it.
These 4 users liked this post: bob-the-scutter Dazzler Longsider jjclaret

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Who bottled it and what specifically did they do to make you think that?
I'm not going to pick on any player (not my style), but those who were there today will remember instances where players simply hoofed the ball ANYWHERE rather than put a foot on the ball, find a pass and thus relieve the pressure.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 claretfern

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Rubbish. Difficult conditions and a one goal lead. No one bottled it. Fulham threw everything at us but only mustered up one or two decent chances. It would be lovely to turn teams like these over but the reality is that there is little between the teams and coming off 2 wins and a goal down after 2 minutes it was a very professional display. Grinding the three points out was the important task today and we did it.
Agreed. But we allowed Fulham to throw the kitchen sink when we could have played with more composure. Defour may have helped in this regard.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Agreed. But we allowed Fulham to throw the kitchen sink when we could have played with more composure. Defour may have helped in this regard.
Who for??
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 pm

This is a bit of a trademark of this Burnley side though, is it not? We don't have the squad depth to rotate so we're running our players into the ground week after week, players who lack the technical ability to control games, but who are tactically astute enough to manage pressure reasonably well, how to stay compact, how to hang on to a lead. We did this all the way through last season to great success and the history of last season shouldn't be re-written; we played much like we did today for the most part of last season. Tempting as it may be to try sealing it with a third, it means committing men forward - Tarkowski attacking Fulham's penalty area from open play for the first goal, for example - and I'm not sure we're good enough to do that and get away with it every week.
Last edited by Spiral on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by criminalclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 pm

No shots on target from us today. Our win coming from 2 OG's as their defending was much worse than ours, but our attack was much worse than theirs.

A great attacking first half, but we ABSOLUTELY used our "Get Out of Jail Free" card today and make no mistake, a better team would certainly have put 2 past us in the second half we were aimless - good defending and some amazing saves from Tom saved our blushes.

3 points I will take any day of the week, but Watford, Utd and Spurs will be much more clinical opponent's that is for certain.
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Not to sound defeatist but Utd and Spurs are free swings. We're not measured on those performances, let alone results, but Watford is a fair point.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:15 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:Who for??
McNeil who was shattered after 60 minutes. Expecting too much, too soon, of McNeil will not do him any favours.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:After a disastrous start we went onto the front foot and Jeff was playing as well as I've seen him play this season.

Having gone in at half time deservedly in front, we bottled the second half and invited Fulham to equalise. Any other team would have done just that. Good job Fulham weren't that good and, quite rightly, they will go down at the end of the season.

We have given ourselves a fantastic opportunity to stay in the Circus that is the Premier League.

Why do we make things so difficult for ourselves? Hoofing the ball almost anywhere; Retreating into our own half, Inviting Fulham to attack; Failing to find a Claret shirt time after time.

Yes, we Got Out of Jail FREE today. Hopefully, we won't have to play that card too many times this season.
Why does there always have to be a but?

Because some people are never happy

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Allow me to jump in on this conversation. Today’s game was a pretty typical BFC performance during the Dyche era……………winning ugly is what we do best! However, winning with zero shots on target is a bit of an anomaly, even for Burnley. Bottom line is we got 3 precious points and reduced the goals against.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 pm

First half I thought we played well after a bit of an iffy start (first 10-15mins), no doubt the weather played a part today.
Second half Fulham were bound to come and attack us, I've no problem with us sitting in and being hard to break down, I just wish we had someone we could maybe put on to take one of the front two off, to offer us some pace in order to spring a counter attack, that then would give us an out ball.
Fulham could push right up as they knew we had no one capable of running in behind them, inviting pressure onto us.

Heaton did his best telling them to push out most of the second half but it kept coming back time after time

My shopping list would be a winger or front man with pace, and another centre mid that can help shore up, or replace Cork/Westwood to bring on fresh legs in midfield.

There was no obvious sub available today without upsetting the balance of the team
Last edited by buzzclarets79 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:Because some people are never happy
I do hope that you are not referring to MOI ! Founder Secretary and President of the Clarets Happy Clappers ;)

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm

5 or 6 more 'get out of jail' wins will do for me.
These 7 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe RalphCoatesComb mybloodisclaret Siddo longsidepies Bosscat

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Might have played our get out of jail card for free but at the final whistle I felt like a had two hotels and four houses on Mayfair and someone just landed on it :D
These 6 users liked this post: Dazzler dpinsussex claretfern mybloodisclaret Bosscat Cornwallclaret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:27 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:McNeil who was shattered after 60 minutes. Expecting too much, too soon, of McNeil will not do him any favours.
I think had Brady or Gudmondson been on the bench they would have made a big difference 2nd half as McNeil, as Ralph points out, was cream crackered. Also Wood seemed to tire. Some fresh legs were needed today in those conditions.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Dazzler wrote:5 or 6 more 'get out of jail' wins will do for me.
Exactly. Strange bunch football fans!

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2235 times
Has Liked: 2136 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 pm

We really need a striker that we can release on the counter for games that we're leading by one goal late on.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

first scratch of luck we've had all season
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler Bosscat

Fenwick
Been Liked: 202 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by Fenwick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Monopoly always ends in arguments! We won. 3 points. Bring on the next scabby win !
This user liked this post: Bosscat

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Didnt think we were lucky today. Heres why

Das German will never score another goal like that EVER
Wood hit the post which cancels out Chambers ( of Arsenal) header
We were all over Fulham when we scored the 2 goals.
Tarks was fouled for a pen before first og.
Great play led to second og
Second half we clearly decided to defend and catch them on the break.
Heaton was untroubled apart from Tarks clearance but thats his job.
Worthy of 3 points imo. Had say Barnes and Wood scored the goals nobody would have been saying we were lucky
League tables dont lie
I was 4 last time Fulham won at Burnley haha

Oh yea and some of McNeils touches in first half were Mess-esque. Enjoy
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler Bosscat

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 pm

We got lucky when they should have had a pen. However, we just about deserved the win overall

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm

bfcjg wrote:Might have played our get out of jail card for free but at the final whistle I felt like a had two hotels and four houses on Mayfair and someone just landed on it :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:I do hope that you are not referring to MOI ! Founder Secretary and President of the Clarets Happy Clappers ;)
We of The BFC Happy Clappers Society would like to point out that the Founder, Secretary and President of the Clarets Happy Clappers is in no way associated with our Society as we believe he is rarely happy enough to be properly described as a Happy Clapper.

By Order of the Founder, Secretary and President of The BFC Happy Clappers Society
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Dazzler

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 pm

bfcmik wrote:We of The BFC Happy Clappers Society would like to point out that the Founder, Secretary and President of the Clarets Happy Clappers is in no way associated with our Society as we believe he is rarely happy enough to be properly described as a Happy Clapper.

By Order of the Founder, Secretary and President of The BFC Happy Clappers Society
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:34 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Agreed. But we allowed Fulham to throw the kitchen sink when we could have played with more composure. Defour may have helped in this regard.
He may. He may also have looked well off the pace after a long spell out (as he did against Barnsley) and his lack of match sharpness may have led to a Barnsley equaliser. The fact that Defour’s absence didn’t have any impact on the result would suggest that the second half played out fine. Of course we can’t play like that against every team but we’ve always been good at defending a 1 goal lead against the lesser teams under Dyche.

criminalclaret

Post by criminalclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Didnt think we were lucky today. Heres why

Das German will never score another goal like that EVER
Wood hit the post which cancels out Chambers ( of Arsenal) header
We were all over Fulham when we scored the 2 goals.
Tarks was fouled for a pen before first og.
Great play led to second og
Second half we clearly decided to defend and catch them on the break.
Heaton was untroubled apart from Tarks clearance but thats his job.
Worthy of 3 points imo. Had say Barnes and Wood scored the goals nobody would have been saying we were lucky
League tables dont lie
I was 4 last time Fulham won at Burnley haha

Oh yea and some of McNeils touches in first half were Mess-esque. Enjoy
Very claret tinted view. If you think we weren't lucky to win when we didnt have a shot on target in the whole game then I don't really know what football you have been watching all your life.

In the second half, Heaton made save after save, the ball rarely passed the half way line, we barely strung a pass together, we're were so shattered that given a few more minutes I think they would have got a last minute equaliser.

We weren't playing a decent side today. We we're playing a team fighting relegation. If we did that against anyone remotely decent we'd be looking at a repeat of the good old Boxing Day Everton game in the second half.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 pm

I don't buy it that Fulham upped their game. As so many times this season, the problems we faced second half were all of our own making. We've had some great results by getting on the front foot, keeping the ball on the deck, and players always on the move looking for the pass.
Second half we just booted it, when the cool heads of the first half could have gone on and won handsomely.

I'm delighted with the points and another win, but against a better team than Fulham, that attitude could have cost us, as it has so many times already this season.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:21 pm

criminalclaret wrote:In the second half, Heaton made save after save,
Heaton made two saves in the whole game.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo Lancasterclaret

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Heaton made two saves in the whole game.
Like he said, Heaton made save after save.

criminalclaret

Post by criminalclaret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Yeah so I covered my bases then Rileybobs ;)

Ok, I will rephrase that then - Heaton was instrumental today. He caught and parried countless crosses that we allowed Fulham to get in, as well as making 2 superb saves (and I am still disputing that it was only two saves, I genuinely remember seeing more than that).

Did Rico do anything second half apart from the odd GK and kick back to his defenders?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:After a disastrous start we went onto the front foot and Jeff was playing as well as I've seen him play this season.

The first half showed that Fulham’s was a defence that needed getting at. Second half we didn’t do that at all. Had we gone at them, I do think it would have been more comprehensive.

3 points is what’s important though.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 am

criminalclaret wrote:a better team would certainly have put 2 past us in the second half we were aimless - good defending and some amazing saves from Tom saved our blushes.
A better team like West Ham perhaps?

No they wouldn't.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 am

criminalclaret wrote:Yeah so I covered my bases then Rileybobs ;)

Ok, I will rephrase that then - Heaton was instrumental today. He caught and parried countless crosses that we allowed Fulham to get in, as well as making 2 superb saves (and I am still disputing that it was only two saves, I genuinely remember seeing more than that).

Did Rico do anything second half apart from the odd GK and kick back to his defenders?
I'm not sure we are talking about the same game. Apart from the 2 saves, one of which was turning a low cross away, tell me about Tom's other "saves".

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 am

I agree we got lucky yesterday. In the second half I expected us to go at them a bit more, we were dissapointing. I really think we missed JBG in that second half, his pace may have taken a little pressure off the defence.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:58 am

Did what we had to do and let’s not forget without Brady Defour and Guddy our pace and creativity options were virtually zero with a knackeredMcneil

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 am

Il also add very difficult conditions

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:But, it should have been far more comfortable with a little composure and thought, rather than panic and hoof !
But it wouldn't have been half as exciting & nail biting would it now ? :)

Composure & thought is boring & just not Burnley.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Dazzler wrote:But it wouldn't have been half as exciting & nail biting would it now ? :)
Felt like the last five minutes of the Sheff United game all over again. Game could have been put to bed well before 90 minutes with a little composure ;)

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:06 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Felt like the last five minutes of the Sheff United game all over again. Game could have been put to bed well before 90 minutes with a little composure ;)
You just don't get the same cheer of relief at the final whistle though when we win comfortably. ;)

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Dazzler wrote:You just don't get the same cheer of relief at the final whistle though when we win comfortably. ;)
I would gladly give that up for a few more years of life.

The stress of a nail-biting finish is sometimes just too much ;)
This user liked this post: Dazzler

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm

We were loads better on the front foot, looked like we were going to score and they didn't threaten us.
We then went on the back foot, they came close lots of times and we carried almost no threat to them.
We deserve a lot of credit for the way we held on but in this game, against their rubbish defence, attack seemed the best form of defence.
With more ambition we'd have have been able to get further infront and had an easier afternoon.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 pm

lucs86 wrote:We were loads better on the front foot, looked like we were going to score and they didn't threaten us.
We then went on the back foot, they came close lots of times and we carried almost no threat to them.
We deserve a lot of credit for the way we held on but in this game, against their rubbish defence, attack seemed the best form of defence.
With more ambition we'd have have been able to get further infront and had an easier afternoon.
We also might have got caught on the counter attack and gone on to draw or even lose the game. We don’t know what would have happened if we’d have played that second half on the front foot, but we all know what did happen when we played on the back foot.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:We got lucky when they should have had a pen. However, we just about deserved the win overall
The only one I can think of is Taylor's rash tackle when the ball was he gave the ball away and slid in to win it back. But as the ball was between the two players and Taylor clearly got to it first, to give a penalty would have been a harsh if not eccentric decision. Or was there something I missed?