LaLiga (Segunda Division)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

LaLiga (Segunda Division)

Post by burnleymik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:10 pm

LaLiga have announced that all their Second Division matches will now be available free via YouTube.

For anyone interested you can see the details here:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/la-lig ... be-3163202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if the FA would ever consider doing something like this for our lower leagues? I am sure there would be decent interest.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: LaLiga (Segunda Division)

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm

I would like to see it. And would be good for fans.

But the problem there is there isn't the same interest in the clubs or history. It will probably be beneficial as its creating exposure they wont have had before.

Whereas in our equivalent you have huge clubs with massive history like Forest, Leeds, Sheff x 2,

There is only Deportivo that I can think of in that league that has one la liga. Odd team has won cups like Zaragoza but there is nowhere near the same history.

The other thing is, even Barca and Real dont really travel to away games. Never mind smaller teams. So again they wont really affect the away followings in the same way it would here.

I would like to think it wouldnt affect folowings here. Because if we were on TV, if i wanted to go i would still go. But then thats probably the exception not the rule.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Like watchin non league
This user liked this post: houseboy

nighty
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by nighty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 am

it most certainly is not like watching non league , im lucky enough to spend a lot of time in tenerife and i always go up to the north to watch them play if they are at home , in fact i will be there at the weekend...they generate a superb atmosphere although they have hit bad times at present and the gates have dropped to around 10k..what i will say its very cheap to get on , my tickets for this weekend have cost 13 euros......

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:07 am

nighty wrote:it most certainly is not like watching non league , im lucky enough to spend a lot of time in tenerife and i always go up to the north to watch them play if they are at home , in fact i will be there at the weekend...they generate a superb atmosphere although they have hit bad times at present and the gates have dropped to around 10k..what i will say its very cheap to get on , my tickets for this weekend have cost 13 euros......
Its worse

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 am

It's inevitable that League One and below matches will end up airing for free on sites like YouTube or Twitch.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:13 am

I’m surprised nobody had mentioned the possible detrimental effect on gates?

Bob Lord stood his ground for years on the matter, which sadly means that there is very little footage of our great 1960’s sides, but it will put some off attending if all games are free. I could see the benefit of doing it 3-4 times per season to gain interest in our lower leagues though, perhaps for those fans living locally but support (from afar) one of the big clubs.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Its worse

It's not though, is it?

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:It's not though, is it?
But it is?

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Claretforever wrote:I’m surprised nobody had mentioned the possible detrimental effect on gates?

Bob Lord stood his ground for years on the matter, which sadly means that there is very little footage of our great 1960’s sides, but it will put some off attending if all games are free. I could see the benefit of doing it 3-4 times per season to gain interest in our lower leagues though, perhaps for those fans living locally but support (from afar) one of the big clubs.
I thought this, and surprised nobody else had mentioned it. I do think if the lower league teams did it, it would absolutely have a huge effect, possibly causing some clubs to struggle and/or collapse.
On the flip-side, you mention how there is very little footage of the 1960's side, I wonder just how many fans we missed out on with people who support the team their dad/grandad did. There's plenty of armchair fans who support United/Arsenal/City because of a perceived 'style of play'. Call them plastic fans, but I'm certain there will be young Arsenal fans in 20 years who support them because their dad was a fan.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:It's not though, is it?
I don't think he's being serious is he? Let's face it how very ethnocentric to assume that a great footballing nations second tier is worse than our non-league. It is of course nonsense but I think (hope?) he's being tongue-in-cheek.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

The last thing we need really is more football on TV. I used to get excited about a live game on TV (when it was a rarity) but now I hardly ever watch live games apart from the occasional South American (or even Australian) game. I love football but it dominates the TV these days and I am getting bored with it. Nothing bores me more than the thought of yet another live game involving United/Arsenal/City etc. I actually would rather watch Forest Green Rovers v Morecambe.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm

As we saw from ITV Digital there is little interest in lower league football.

And let's face it, when some fans want the so-called big six to form their own league, they need to realise there would be little interest in the remaining Premier league clubs.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:05 pm

I saw something about a 20 odd year old guy from South Korea trvelling over to watch Stanley the other week.

They’d be hundreds/thousands of foreign football fans who’d love to watch the other teams in this country. Just for the sake of wanting to be different and support somebody different. The Football League should take full advantage of the fact the PL use the very work English before Premier League.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 pm

"I wonder if the FA would ever consider doing something like this for our lower leagues? I am sure there would be decent interest."

The FA free? don't be rediculous. :cry:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Spijed wrote:As we saw from ITV Digital there is little interest in lower league football.

And let's face it, when some fans want the so-called big six to form their own league, they need to realise there would be little interest in the remaining Premier league clubs.
Why?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

houseboy wrote:Why?
Because the clubs left don't have the same global appeal, or much interest outside their own fanbase.

Didn't Sky pick Cardiff v Burnley simply because they knew no-one would be watching it instead of the Ryder cup?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Dyched wrote:I saw something about a 20 odd year old guy from South Korea trvelling over to watch Stanley the other week.

They’d be hundreds/thousands of foreign football fans who’d love to watch the other teams in this country. Just for the sake of wanting to be different and support somebody different. The Football League should take full advantage of the fact the PL use the very work English before Premier League.
But didn't ITV digital collapse because there was little or no interest?

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Spijed wrote:But didn't ITV digital collapse because there was little or no interest?
No idea tbh.

I mean just show the 3pm games on foreign tv and have the midweek games available in the UK like they do for the Championship.

Fixtures can be arranged around it so Plymouth etc play the long trip games on a midweek when the game is available on tv. The hardcore few will travel but then games are more available for the rest.

It’s just the way football is going. I season ticket will be a tv subcribition/ticket the future.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Spijed wrote:Because the clubs left don't have the same global appeal, or much interest outside their own fanbase.

Didn't Sky pick Cardiff v Burnley simply because they knew no-one would be watching it instead of the Ryder cup?
But does it actually matter? Okay the money goes down - who cares? Without the big 6 inflating everything players wouldn't be able to demand the same wages and transfer fees would fall. Okay the top players would still command the big fees and wages but that wouldn't affect PL teams any more as they wouldn't be competing with the big 6. Let them have the Pogbas and the Kanes etc. The PL without the big 6 would be a more even playing field and would become far more competitive. It's a simple fact of economic life that when you don't have hyper inflation (which is what is happening to football because of the relatively few 'big' clubs - not just English) you don't need as much money. If we could compete in a different PL with far less money then it wouldn't bother me at all.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

houseboy wrote:I don't think he's being serious is he? Let's face it how very ethnocentric to assume that a great footballing nations second tier is worse than our non-league. It is of course nonsense but I think (hope?) he's being tongue-in-cheek.

I think he is. There seems to be this superiority complex surrounding English football fans that any league outside of England is inferior when the complete opposite is true.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:I think he is. There seems to be this superiority complex surrounding English football fans that any league outside of England is inferior when the complete opposite is true.
That's true mate and it's all down to people swallowing this whole 'best league in the world' thing constantly churned out by the media. It simply isn't. It may be one of the best for sure but I think you would find a lot of Spanish, Germans, Italians, Argentinians and Brazilians who might just think a little differently. I've watched fabulous games of football with incredibly high levels of skill played in front of 75% empty stadiums in Bolivia and Peru for instance. People should open their eyes a bit and stop thinking British/English is best. It's good, of that there is no doubt, but to declare it the best out of sheer ethnocentricism is nonsense.

By the way the Argentinian league starts again next weekend after their Christmas/New Year break, which seems to last for ages, they haven't played since early December.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 am

houseboy wrote:That's true mate and it's all down to people swallowing this whole 'best league in the world' thing constantly churned out by the media. It simply isn't. It may be one of the best for sure but I think you would find a lot of Spanish, Germans, Italians, Argentinians and Brazilians who might just think a little differently. I've watched fabulous games of football with incredibly high levels of skill played in front of 75% empty stadiums in Bolivia and Peru for instance. People should open their eyes a bit and stop thinking British/English is best. It's good, of that there is no doubt, but to declare it the best out of sheer ethnocentricism is nonsense.

By the way the Argentinian league starts again next weekend after their Christmas/New Year break, which seems to last for ages, they haven't played since early December.

Brilliant I will look out for that. Always had a soft spot for river. Will look out for independiente also. I'm not sure if it's still free on YouTube or not.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

houseboy wrote:That's true mate and it's all down to people swallowing this whole 'best league in the world' thing constantly churned out by the media. It simply isn't. It may be one of the best for sure but I think you would find a lot of Spanish, Germans, Italians, Argentinians and Brazilians who might just think a little differently. I've watched fabulous games of football with incredibly high levels of skill played in front of 75% empty stadiums in Bolivia and Peru for instance. People should open their eyes a bit and stop thinking British/English is best. It's good, of that there is no doubt, but to declare it the best out of sheer ethnocentricism is nonsense.

The Premier league probably is the best league because it's currently got six big clubs.

Take away 2 or 3 clubs in the other leagues in Europe and what have you got left?

Also, are the clubs near the bottom of the Bundesliga, Seria A, La Liga any better than Burnley?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:Brilliant I will look out for that. Always had a soft spot for river. Will look out for independiente also. I'm not sure if it's still free on YouTube or not.
Aah River Plate, they are the posh lot, ha ha. Never been quite the same since they got relegated a few years ago. That was a massive shock there as it was a bit like United going down here. They only had one season in the second tier but they are not as dominant as they used to be now.
Does your mate understand why they change their league structure all the time? They currently have a massive top tier and only play each other once. I remember as far back as the 70s when they had a national league and another based just in Buenos Aires, played in summer and winter so there was no break.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 am

Spijed wrote:The Premier league probably is the best league because it's currently got six big clubs.

Take away 2 or 3 clubs in the other leagues in Europe and what have you got left?

Also, are the clubs near the bottom of the Bundesliga, Seria A, La Liga any better than Burnley?
But you are thinking just Europe. Try predicting the winners of the Argentine league. They have a big 5, traditionally - Boca, River, Racing, Independiente and San Lorenzo but none of these are guaranteed to win the league. The current leaders are Racing but they haven't won it in years and San Lorenzo are currently bottom half. It is arguably the most open league in the world.

As far as the PL goes if you take away the shocks of Rovers and Leicester (and Rovers bought it as we all know) there have only been 4 winners in its near 30 year existence. And it is the sheer dominance of the big 6 as well, other countries at least have other teams in the top 6, in the PL you can, before a ball is kicked, predict the top 6 every year now. As has been pointed out many times on this board by many people 14 teams every year (with the possible exception of Everton, who did have a scare last season for a while) just accept that they are playing for survival - how bad is that?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

houseboy wrote:But you are thinking just Europe. Try predicting the winners of the Argentine league. They have a big 5, traditionally - Boca, River, Racing, Independiente and San Lorenzo but none of these are guaranteed to win the league. The current leaders are Racing but they haven't won it in years and San Lorenzo are currently bottom half. It is arguably the most open league in the world.

As far as the PL goes if you take away the shocks of Rovers and Leicester (and Rovers bought it as we all know) there have only been 4 winners in its near 30 year existence. And it is the sheer dominance of the big 6 as well, other countries at least have other teams in the top 6, in the PL you can, before a ball is kicked, predict the top 6 every year now. As has been pointed out many times on this board by many people 14 teams every year (with the possible exception of Everton, who did have a scare last season for a while) just accept that they are playing for survival - how bad is that?
How many different winners have there been in Spain or Germany over the same period?

By having fewer dominant teams in Spain for example it means that Barcelona are going to win the league more often, a bit like Celtic. Surely that's even worse?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am

Germany has had 6 different champions in the last 25 years, the same as the PL but with less one-offs (like Rovers and Leicester). There have been 8 different runners up but there have been 13 different clubs finishing third. Given their much better attendances (because of a much fairer pricing system) and the unbelievable atmospheres I would say Bundesliga shades it over the PL.
La Liga has had 5 different champions in that time with 6 different runners up and 10 different 3rds. Again good crowds generally so yet again not that different to the PL. So Spain is nothing like Scotland.
Argentina has had 11 different champions in that time including 6 not in the 'big 5'. There have been 17 different runners up and 20 different 3rds.
This proves absolutely that..........I have far too much time on my hands at work. :lol:
This user liked this post: Spijed

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm

All major european leagues are fairly equal. In fact its the smaller leagues that arent. Which proves competition does help.

I think only france and holland of the smaller leagues has had more winners than any of the major leagues.

France has had about 10 winners since the premier league started. And that includes the lyon 7 years of dominance.

Portugal, scotland etc all have the same winners.

When was the last time an english team defended the league?

Could you hand on hart say who is going to win the league this year? And if liverpool do that will be a 7th winner since the premier league started.

For me thats pretty competetive.
This user liked this post: Spijed

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm

houseboy wrote:Aah River Plate, they are the posh lot, ha ha. Never been quite the same since they got relegated a few years ago. That was a massive shock there as it was a bit like United going down here. They only had one season in the second tier but they are not as dominant as they used to be now.
Does your mate understand why they change their league structure all the time? They currently have a massive top tier and only play each other once. I remember as far back as the 70s when they had a national league and another based just in Buenos Aires, played in summer and winter so there was no break.

I will ask him tonight. As for river. I remember having a management save on a game with them years ago. I had Ariel Ortega as my star player. Always looked for their results on the late night show called 'goalissimo' and love their kit.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44 pm

It’s all personal preference isn’t it. Different leagues, different style of football.

The PL would improve vastly if you take away the revenue. Teams will play much more openly without the real fear of relegation.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Dyched wrote:It’s all personal preference isn’t it. Different leagues, different style of football.

The PL would improve vastly if you take away the revenue. Teams will play much more openly without the real fear of relegation.
Agree totally. We have a great game here but money is now causing fear - the fear of relegation (more than ever before) - the fear of signing players on far-too-big wages and then losing revenue - the fear of losing especially against one of the 'lower' sides, not to mention the kind of giving up sort of thinking when someone like us plays a big 6, seeing it as just bonus points if we get anything. Many joked about us finishing 'the best of the rest' last season but it is no joke now. Maybe they will invent a trophy for finishing 7th sometime. I really honestly cannot wait for the top clubs to clear off to a Euro league, or better still for Sky and the rest to pull the plug on the stupid amounts of money involved.
My wife has a point (she hates football with a passion): she said if Sky didn't 'waste' so much money funding football they could charge far, far less for their service and that is, unfortunately very true. I love the game and always have but:
There is too much money involved.
There is way too much football on TV.
The media hype of the PL has reached stupid levels.
I am convinced that there are people (younger fans) who believe football started with the PL era.
The disregard for lower league football to the point that they only seem to read out the results of midweek PL games on the news now whilst ignoring leagues 1 and 2 especially, is shocking.

I love football- I love my club - I love being in the top tier - but I bloody hate the PL.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 pm

The money things a red herring. Already this decade since 2010 we have 4 different league winners. Chelsea. City. United. Leicester.

Thats as competetive as any major league. And as conpetetive as the english league has ever been.

Before money, during liverpools dominance we werent averaging more winners than that. Its as competetive and unpredictable as it ever has been or any other league.

Lets pick some random decades.

70s 5 winners.

1950s. 5 winners.

1989s 4 winners.

You have to go back to the some way for it to be any more competetive on a regular basis. 60s being an exception.

If Liverpool win it this year that will be 5 winners this decade. And will be over ten years since it was defended.