ARTICLE: Clarets linked with Medel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clarets linked with Medel

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It amounted to no goals you're right, but we couldn't get the ball off them for large periods which was embarrasing at times.

Even City haven't dominated us that much at home.
Yet

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

He played for Boca Juniors.
That's enough for me, had me reflecting on my visit there in 2007. Incredible place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6jn-mZkj-I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Great post houseboy. I do keep regular contact with a friend who lives in Buenos Aires and is an independiente supporter. It's great to hear about what's going on in the football world over there and he regularly asks about Burnley. I prefer foreign football to the premier league at times apart from Burnley of course. As has been said about medel he does love a tackle and a slight negative is he is prone to picking up bookings but for 9m euros if we can get 2 or 3 good years out of him it will be money well spent. He will also bring out the best in defour in a midfield 3 imo as it will allow defour to concentrate on getting further forward.
From what I have read about Medel he would fill the hole left by Barton it seems. The only risk is that he is South American and it's still a mans game there and, as you say, he could spend a deal of time suspended.
Has your mate ever mentioned the Racing/Independiente derbies? If you ever look at pics of the grounds they are so close they could watch one anothers games. It's a shame that away support is banned there now but I suppose they brought it on themselves.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm

beddie wrote:It concerns me that we are looking at players of his age. I expected us to be only bringing in younger players, might cost more for younger quality but that's the way we should be re building imo.
SD will think about now as the priority, the future is secondary. Survival this season comes first, so a 31yr old who is fully fit and can do the business is OK.
Who can blame him, just a few bad results and people want him out. Young players take time, and the ones that don't are too expensive

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Seems a nailed on transfer if CT has an article about him! Otherwise, the rumour thread would suffice. Usually, hot rumours get deleted, so the fact that CT has posted himself, must mean it's all about his wooden leg getting through the medical, without us suspecting a limp! :o :D

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:24 pm

gtclaret wrote:SD will think about now as the priority, the future is secondary. Survival this season comes first, so a 31yr old who is fully fit and can do the business is OK.
Who can blame him, just a few bad results and people want him out. Young players take time, and the ones that don't are too expensive
And rightly so

We need to focus on the here and now while building a strategy for the future.

McNeil is a nice surpise. And one we and maybe even the club didnt see having such an impact so soon. So he MAY negate the need for another winger.

Medel and a quick striker would be a fantastic window.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Just spoke to a Cardiff fan I know and he says no need to worry about his age as he just sits in front of the back four and does most of his work there.

OK God get him signed without braking the bank OK :D

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:23 pm

We should sign him just for being a South American who is somehow called Gary
These 5 users liked this post: jedi_master cricketfieldclarets Rick_Muller CombatClaret houseboy

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Suggestions we’ve offered £6m but Besiktas want £8m.

Here’s hoping that we get a price agreed quickly if this is truly who Dyche wants and that we get personal terms agreed quickly.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:41 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:Suggestions we’ve offered £6m but Besiktas want £8m.

Here’s hoping that we get a price agreed quickly if this is truly who Dyche wants and that we get personal terms agreed quickly.
I'm not sure I believe you there Paul. Are you suggesting that the BFC recruitment team have come in with a low ball offer?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:44 pm

If we’ve offered 6 when they want 8, I think that’s a pretty reasonable opening offer.

Get him for 7 perhaps.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:44 pm

£6m if true, wouldn’t be ‘low ball’

https://www.transfermarkt.com/gary-mede ... eler/60889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:45 pm

IanMcL wrote:Seems a nailed on transfer if CT has an article about him! Otherwise, the rumour thread would suffice. Usually, hot rumours get deleted, so the fact that CT has posted himself, must mean it's all about his wooden leg getting through the medical, without us suspecting a limp! :o :D
I knew someone would come on and post complete b0ll0cks - it's featured in both Turkish and Chilean media.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Steddyman wrote:I'm not sure I believe you there Paul. Are you suggesting that the BFC recruitment team have come in with a low ball offer?
I know....I can believe it either! Who’d have thought that... :lol:
This user liked this post: Steddyman

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:51 pm

It's a big meh from me I'm afraid.
Uninspiring to say the least.
The times I've seen him play he certainly didn't impress me - seems very slow & not a playmaker
Westwood is miles better than him

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:It's a big meh from me I'm afraid.
The times I've seen him play he certainly didn't impress me - seems very slow & not a playmaker
You’d have to say their careers say otherwise, really.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Ooooooooook... :lol:

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm just setting up flight-tracker ready for the private jet from Istanbull to Manchester .... only to watch it divert to London City Airport, when West Ham agree to pay his wife's clothing allowance of £20,000 a month and we offer £500 of Primark vouchers !! :D

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Would be no surprise to see Defour end up in Turkey, a well paid graveyard for decent European players. Not sure we’d swap a creative midfielder for a defensive one though ? Though Defour has been little more than an injured show pony for us . Quality player of course but it shows most of his career has been in the lesser Euro leagues .

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 pm

houseboy wrote:From what I have read about Medel he would fill the hole left by Barton it seems. The only risk is that he is South American and it's still a mans game there and, as you say, he could spend a deal of time suspended.
Has your mate ever mentioned the Racing/Independiente derbies? If you ever look at pics of the grounds they are so close they could watch one anothers games. It's a shame that away support is banned there now but I suppose they brought it on themselves.

Yes he hates racing club with a passion and the derby is just as mad as the superclassico. As for filling the Barton void, I'd say he more defensively minded than Barton if that's possible. I think he could be the glue between defence and midfield, thus allowing our midfield to.support the attack more if deployed in a midfield 3. Medal, Westwood, cork/Hendrick with a front 3 of Barnes McNeil and JBG would be perfect away from home especially.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Hmmm, tricky one this.

Does the idea of signing up an aging plodder immediately appeal to me? No

Is he the type of player that will boost our central midfield? Not really

Will we be paying to witness his decline as a footballer? Possibly

The most worrying aspect is that his name has been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks now, mainly in tandem with West Ham. This gives me the impression that we didn't enter this window with a long list of viable targets.

It could be that we have failed to bring in the players on our list or we have simply sat back, looked at who the other clubs are chasing and then decided to go for one of them. I'm reluctant to believe that we had this bloke on our list before the window opened, which wouldn't paint a pretty picture of our recruitment strategy moving forwards.

I think South West Clarets mate is bob on. He fits into the mould of a player like Pirlo, but with more bite and nowhere near the ball playing skill. The type of player who will sit in front of the back four as an added protective barrier and ping a few passes here and there.

I can't see him doing a better job in our central midfield than the players we already have. Not only does he lack the pace that could give us a forward boost, and the all round game to be a real step up, he is also lacking the developed understanding that our existing players have with each other. Using him as a replacement for Cork or Westwood would be a downgrade, especially when things are finally beginning to click for us again.

In terms of increasing our attacking intent/momentum and boosting the number of chances for our strikers, which could lead to more goals, I just can't see him adding much.

However

If we are going to play a 4-1-4-1 against the stronger clubs in the league, with him sitting in front of the back four and moving between defence and midfield, he could work very well for us. Looking at our last run of matches, before the season ends, this formation and this strategy could increase our chance of taking points from those games which might make the difference between staying up and going down.

If that is the thinking behind the move then I could probably get behind it for £6-£8m. Adding in his wages and the competing interest from West Ham ( if any of this is true ) he could be an expensive short term protection plan, but one we might benefit from.

Ideally, I would like someone younger for that role, I've mentioned Sergi Samper, Daley Sinkgraven and Alan Browne previously, but if Medel is the only player we have on the table he will be better than nothing. If we are looking to push the boat out to £10m+ a lot of other options would become available.

My biggest worries are that he will ask for a long contract, which could be detrimental to us over the longer term and West Ham are supposedly interested. If their interest is genuine we have no chance of matching them in terms of wages and their current league standing makes them more attractive.

This could leave us well and truly up **** creek if we have to decided to place all our eggs in a Medel shaped basket. Our only part in the proceedings could simply be as a patsy to get a better contract for Medel and a better price for his club.

Overall

Not a player I would have targeted at the outset of the window, not a player I am particularly excited about, a player that could do a limited role specific job for us in the short term, his ability to play in defence gives us a bit more squad depth and he is possibly better than nothing.

I think we should be aiming our sites a bit higher than him, with a view to the future, but if CT is posting articles I suspect this one is well on the way to being a done deal.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Hmmm, tricky one this.

Does the idea of signing up an aging plodder immediately appeal to me? No

Is he the type of player that will boost our central midfield? Not really

Will we be paying to witness his decline as a footballer? Possibly

The most worrying aspect is that his name has been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks now, mainly in tandem with West Ham. This gives me the impression that we didn't enter this window with a long list of viable targets.

It could be that we have failed to bring in the players on our list or we have simply sat back, looked at who the other clubs are chasing and then decided to go for one of them. I'm reluctant to believe that we had this bloke on our list before the window opened, which wouldn't paint a pretty picture of our recruitment strategy moving forwards.

I think South West Clarets mate is bob on. He fits into the mould of a player like Pirlo, but with more bite and nowhere near the ball playing skill. The type of player who will sit in front of the back four as an added protective barrier and ping a few passes here and there.

I can't see him doing a better job in our central midfield than the players we already have. Not only does he lack the pace that could give us a forward boost, and the all round game to be a real step up, he is also lacking the developed understanding that our existing players have with each other. Using him as a replacement for Cork or Westwood would be a downgrade, especially when things are finally beginning to click for us again.

In terms of increasing our attacking intent/momentum and boosting the number of chances for our strikers, which could lead to more goals, I just can't see him adding much.

However

If we are going to play a 4-1-4-1 against the stronger clubs in the league, with him sitting in front of the back four and moving between defence and midfield, he could work very well for us. Looking at our last run of matches, before the season ends, this formation and this strategy could increase our chance of taking points from those games which might make the difference between staying up and going down.

If that is the thinking behind the move then I could probably get behind it for £6-£8m. Adding in his wages and the competing interest from West Ham ( if any of this is true ) he could be an expensive short term protection plan, but one we might benefit from.

Ideally, I would like someone younger for that role, I've mentioned Sergi Samper, Daley Sinkgraven and Alan Browne previously, but if Medel is the only player we have on the table he will be better than nothing. If we are looking to push the boat out to £10m+ a lot of other options would become available.

My biggest worries are that he will ask for a long contract, which could be detrimental to us over the longer term and West Ham are supposedly interested. If their interest is genuine we have no chance of matching them in terms of wages and their current league standing makes them more attractive.

This could leave us well and truly up **** creek if we have to decided to place all our eggs in a Medel shaped basket. Our only part in the proceedings could simply be as a patsy to get a better contract for Medel and a better price for his club.

Overall

Not a player I would have targeted at the outset of the window, not a player I am particularly excited about, a player that could do a limited role specific job for us in the short term, his ability to play in defence gives us a bit more squad depth and he is possibly better than nothing.

I think we should be aiming our sites a bit higher than him, with a view to the future, but if CT is posting articles I suspect this one is well on the way to being a done deal.
How long does it take you to write the essays out ? Always good to read

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 pm

He is more tenacious than Pirlo. A more 'in your face' type of player. A player in the Pirlo mould is wide of the mark imo.

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm

jedi_master wrote:You’d have to say their careers say otherwise, really.
Maybe Jedi, Westwood will only get better though if you ask me - Medel seems to have the best behind him

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm

I'd rather us go for Elneney from Arsenal

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I'd rather us go for Elneney from Arsenal
Not too convinced about him either Vegas - IMO we need someone who can play higher up the pitch

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:How long does it take you to write the essays out ? Always good to read
Depends on the medium

Writing a post like that out by hand would take me hours and it would be a page filled with a mass of scribbles, cross outs and sentences/directional arrows all over over the place. Despite years of "I won't be beat" work to improve, being dyslexic isn't easy, even though my own case isn't the most severe form. Although I wouldn't trade my difference to change it, being dyslexic comes with benefits as well as drawbacks.

Tappety tapping out a post is a lot quicker, because I'm a fairly fast touch typer and my posts are generally off the cuff streams of conscious thought - with the ability to tidy them up being a lot easier on a computer.

Granted they are very rambly, which I apologise for, but every now and then I hope they have a few interesting bits and bobs in them that can play a part in the general discussions.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Reecey1987

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Depends on the medium

Writing a post like that out by hand would take me hours and it would be a page filled with a mass of scribbles, cross outs and sentences/directional arrows all over over the place. Despite years of "I won't be beat" work to improve, being dyslexic isn't easy, even though my own case isn't the most severe form. Although I wouldn't trade my difference to change it, being dyslexic comes with benefits as well as drawbacks.

Tappety tapping out a post is a lot quicker, because I'm a fairly fast touch typer and my posts are generally off the cuff streams of conscious thought - with the ability to tidy them up being a lot easier on a computer.

Granted they are very rambly, which I apologise for, but every now and then I hope they have a few interesting bits and bobs in them that can play a part in the general discussions.
no need to apologise i enjoy reading your posts

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm

I have a cunning plan as we can’t reach agreement on a fee how About we offer Defour in exchange for Medel ?

Good or what :D

As we all know Defour is fit now :)

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Not another midget in midfield please, would rather have Wanyama or Billing..

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:Not too convinced about him either Vegas - IMO we need someone who can play higher up the pitch

26 v 31 year old, both defensive midfielders, one with far more PL experience

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:26 v 31 year old, both defensive midfielders, one with far more PL experience
Who's this the 26 year old player?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I knew someone would come on and post complete b0ll0cks - it's featured in both Turkish and Chilean media.
Ah yes but all the rumours appear somewhere! This is the rumour you chose to single out, for whatever reason. Had not realised you believe Chile and Turkey media above all others!

Perhaps you just fancied Medeling! :D

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 am

As much as i like westwood they arent anywhere near the same level. Medel is a major upgrade.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:10 am

Dazzler wrote:Who's this the 26 year old player?
I was just mentioning Elneney wants leave Arsenal, 26 and on 55K a week
- nobody has linked him, I'd just prefer him to Medel that's all given his age

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 am

I was intrigued by the notion of signing him on the strength of how fit his missus is...… and for our convenience for all future signings I've found this remarkable site http://wagsapp.net/

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:42 am

Our midfield would sound like a prize in the whittling Olympics.....Cork Medel

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Our midfield would sound like a prize in the whittling Olympics.....Cork Medel
Maybe it means we're after David Silva as well?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 am

Grimsdale wrote:Maybe it means we're after David Silva as well?
Mind you, signing Moses would be no good as God told him to come forth!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:10 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:Yes he hates racing club with a passion and the derby is just as mad as the superclassico. As for filling the Barton void, I'd say he more defensively minded than Barton if that's possible. I think he could be the glue between defence and midfield, thus allowing our midfield to.support the attack more if deployed in a midfield 3. Medal, Westwood, cork/Hendrick with a front 3 of Barnes McNeil and JBG would be perfect away from home especially.
Sounds like a plan. I would welcome anyone with the midfield 'fight' that we do seem to be missing, a real leader like Barton.
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 am

So Defour for Medel it is then.

Reecey1987

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am

South West Claret. wrote:So Defour for Medel it is then.
If only it was that easy

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 am

How old was Joey when he played for us! Why do we always have to sign a player and automatically think hmmmm what will his resale value be. We needdd to do that years ago we don't really need to do it now. It's now about mproving the first team and squad although not really the best window fo do it in. Hes like a Barton sort of player so it's a yes from me.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:If only it was that easy
If you don't try you may never know.

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Not just Joey Barton was supposedly past his best - Grezza was too and he didn’t do too badly for us either!
Both of them played a defensive role which didn’t tax them physically unduly but were both fine players who held us together.
My one concern about Medel is that Barton was a leader within the dressing room and so was Grezza. Is Medel the same or do his foreign roots preclude that ? We appear to badly need an outfield player to weld the side together on and off the field. That is why our change of keeper has made a difference already but another good leader in the field of play is what we need to continue our climb up the table.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:47 pm

South West Claret. wrote:So Defour for Medel it is then.

Why? They are 2 completely different types of player.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Why? They are 2 completely different types of player.
I don’t have to spell it out surely.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Just splash out on Fellaini on loan. Sorted

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:45 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I don’t have to spell it out surely.

I'm afraid you do. So why?

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Because Defour has turned out to be the proverbial sick note most would agree, if we can off load him for this Medel fella it would look a good deal for Burnley on paper.