ARTICLE: Clarets linked with Medel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clarets linked with Medel

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

That I agree with however I do think that defour still has more to offer and medal could free his shackles a bit

italianclaret88
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by italianclaret88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

I like medel football, fighting until death to reach the ball...we need this kind of player, not stupid dancers on the pitch....
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

up_the_clarets_1989
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by up_the_clarets_1989 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Look at some of the clubs this guy has played for, he also has over a 100 caps for Chile. Would undoubtedly be a top quality addition to our team and give a bit of bite to our soft CM.

Can’t believe how many people don’t fancy this transfer. I remember when we were ridiculously linked with Shaqiri though at the end of last season and some people didn’t fancy him ether so can’t say I’m surprised!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm just wondering which players past or present in football might fit the category of 'stupid dancers on the pitch'. Our own,Chris Pearce, must be one but there's got to be plenty of others.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Can’t believe how many people don’t fancy this transfer
because they seem to have a very unhealthy obsession with youth! If they are over 26 their legs have gone apparently.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

I'd never write off a player, and certainly not one with the sort of pedigree this fella has, without having seen him play. He's got an impressive pedigree all over Europe (I think he got good reviews for his time at Cardiff) so if we genuinely are interested he could be a useful addition. I also don't necessarily agree that we should automatically reject the idea of spending some hard cash on someone who is in his 30s (apart from anything, we don't know how a deal might be structured - it might be a bit of cash up front with a lot contingent on us stopping up, for example).

At face value though, I'm slightly surprised that we're in the market for another diminutive midfielder. Of course, he might have a Frank Sinclair-type of leap on him, in which case none of this applies - but otherwise, he'd be a third central midfielder on the books who stands at sub 5"10. Given the importance of second balls, particularly in the way we play but also in the Premier League generally, it seems unlikely you'd automatically be pairing two players of that stature together, and so I'd expected us to be in the market for someone who could partner any of Defour, Westwood and Cork.

That said, I can certainly see the logic of this if Defour were to be moving on, whether in a swap or to somewhere else. We've all loved watching Defour, but he's only a year younger than Medel and given the injuries he's had down the years, he's probably got a body that is closer to the end. Medel may be a slightly more defensive player, but that might actually suit us - we got the best out of Defour playing in a 4-5-1 last season, but we increasingly look like a team which is going to revert back to a variant of 4-4-2 this season, and Medel might be a better fit for that.