Referee confirmed for Watford game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Referee confirmed for Watford game

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Michael Oliver

http://www.uptheclarets.com/referee-con ... ord-game-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8518 times
Has Liked: 18263 times

Re: Referee confirmed for Watford game

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Oh bugger no penalty this week then either :(
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Whenever I see this thread I always dread clicking on it to see the name. Suppose Michael Oliver not too bad but he can occasionally be a bit trigger happy with the red cards.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6385 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:15 pm

He'll give us a pen and we will win.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 am

Ian McL, keep saying it, eventually it will happen.
What is it now 65 games??

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am

Was the referee t'other year and sent Jeff off inside about 5 minutes with a straight red didn't he?

Let's hope he has a good game, I had a good feeling about this game, but Oliver never fills me with confidence when has reffing us.
Always seems to want to impress the cameras.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Always thought he was one of the best / fairest / most consistent refs out there.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:39 pm

There's always Darren Deadman if you want bad now there is one bad ref makes all the rest look like world beaters

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:42 pm

I thought it was Oliver who gave the phantom goal in a Watford game a few years back but turns out that was Attwell.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:00 pm

MACCA wrote:Was the referee t'other year and sent Jeff off inside about 5 minutes with a straight red didn't he?

Let's hope he has a good game, I had a good feeling about this game, but Oliver never fills me with confidence when has reffing us.
Always seems to want to impress the cameras.
Unfrotunately, he had no option but to send Jeff off because it was a tackle which, unfortunately, went over the top of the ball.
As far as wanting to impress the cameras, you could not be further away from the truth. :)
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Unfrotunately, he had no option but to send Jeff off because it was a tackle which, unfortunately, went over the top of the ball.
As far as wanting to impress the cameras, you could not be further away from the truth. :)
Yes it was a red, was an early "strikers type challenge" right under his nose.

I've discussed this with you before, you evidently hold Mr Oliver extreamly high. Yes he's one of the better refs, but I'm still never confident when he's reffing us.
Maybe he might change my mind Saturday.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:48 pm

MACCA wrote:Yes it was a red, was an early "strikers type challenge" right under his nose.

I've discussed this with you before, you evidently hold Mr Oliver extreamly high. Yes he's one of the better refs, but I'm still never confident when he's reffing us.
Maybe he might change my mind Saturday.
He does his job, sometimes he gets things wrong but mostly he gets things right.
He is no different to any other official but I can assure you that he does not make decisions for the benefit of the cameras, he makes them because that is his judgement of the situation ---without the benefit --or otherwise of slow motion replays, VAR or whatever.
If you think that it is easy, get yourself invited to a local referees' seminar where they show incidents and you have to state your view, you would find it very interesting if you love football.
These 2 users liked this post: dpinsussex mdd2

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:He does his job, sometimes he gets things wrong but mostly he gets things right.
He is no different to any other official but I can assure you that he does not make decisions for the benefit of the cameras, he makes them because that is his judgement of the situation ---without the benefit --or otherwise of slow motion replays, VAR or whatever.
If you think that it is easy, get yourself invited to a local referees' seminar where they show incidents and you have to state your view, you would find it very interesting if you love football.
Would have loved to have got involved in refereeing, however had other things on.
A friend did get into it at a very young age, however after dedicating a lot of his life to it, he didn't kiss enough backside or have relatives in the system to progress quickly up the ladder like a few of the others.

It is a very difficult job, but like many things it's the way you come across that forms opinions. Mr Oliver seems ( may not be the case if you met him personally ) Very arrogant, very happy to preform for the camera and wants to be a celebrity in his own right.

Just the way I've seen him, but like many others ( Jones and Coote in particular ) he may grow on me as I have started watching games more with a neutral view regards to players and referee performances.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:52 pm

He's not as camera hunting as Clattenburg or the bald headed world cup final chap whose name escapes me, nor even Mike Dean, who has been one of the better refs over the last 10 (15 probably) years.

It might be hairist, but my least favourite refs are East, Taylor and Mason. It's not because they are bald. I have friends who are bald. But for some reason they always seem like they aren't far away from giving a penalty against us, no matter how inaccurate that may be. It must be because they all look alike.

Anyway, the worst ref in the league is Moss.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 am

MACCA wrote:Would have loved to have got involved in refereeing, however had other things on.
A friend did get into it at a very young age, however after dedicating a lot of his life to it, he didn't kiss enough backside or have relatives in the system to progress quickly up the ladder like a few of the others.

It is a very difficult job, but like many things it's the way you come across that forms opinions. Mr Oliver seems ( may not be the case if you met him personally ) Very arrogant, very happy to preform for the camera and wants to be a celebrity in his own right.

Just the way I've seen him, but like many others ( Jones and Coote in particular ) he may grow on me as I have started watching games more with a neutral view regards to players and referee performances.
Skeath. The Barden Bobby Madley.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 am

2 years ago he was miles better than the rest, he's gone backwards big time and makes loads of mistakes, hope he has a good game at the weekend though

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 am

Would be a hard job if all 22 on the pitch and those in the dug out weren't trying to con the ref most of the time. Throw ins free kicks, free kicks from offside decisions rarely taken from where the incidents occurred. Even corners they try and encroach. keepers at penalties, players encroaching at penalties and then the microscopic dissection of many decisions with replays, rarely at full speed but slowed down to get the right decision.
Oh for the days when there was no video replay, one or two cameras on the pitch and free kicks only given when the odd leg got broken; you remember Ash when we had TB and rickets!!!!!!
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:52 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Skeath. The Barden Bobby Madley.
He wasn't that bad was he, although he did have a dog.... :o :lol:

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 am

Noticed in the last year Oliver gives loads of soft pens. Gets conned a lot, imo

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 am

He's a ref who will always give a pen for 'contact', which will never work in our favour.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

mdd2 wrote:Would be a hard job if all 22 on the pitch and those in the dug out weren't trying to con the ref most of the time. Throw ins free kicks, free kicks from offside decisions rarely taken from where the incidents occurred. Even corners they try and encroach. keepers at penalties, players encroaching at penalties and then the microscopic dissection of many decisions with replays, rarely at full speed but slowed down to get the right decision.
Oh for the days when there was no video replay, one or two cameras on the pitch and free kicks only given when the odd leg got broken; you remember Ash when we had TB and rickets!!!!!!
But they can help themselves. And so can the fa perrenial cheats like vardy should be dealt with. And treat with contempt next time they dive. But they arent and wont.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

MACCA wrote:He wasn't that bad was he, although he did have a dog.... :o :lol:
Maybe thats what i meant :shock: