#politicslive

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Re: #politicslive

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 pm

ClaretAL wrote:The problem is the youth has been targeted and bought it hook, line and sinker, and now what was 14 year old originally, a generation that have been pinpointed for no respect and lawlessness are now 16 and can vote in this. Taking in to account what our forefathers died for i find it an absolute disgrace to there bravery to be honest. And to make matters worse we have a no confidence vote which could create a general election, which will probably vote in Labour just to show opposition and we get a PM who backed the IRA and wont wear a poppy and disagrees with honouring our fallen. this is where we are heading.....REALLY????
Who says our 14-16 year olds are disrespectful and lawless (apart from you, I mean)?

And can we see a picture of this leaflet your son brought home, please? (is he a disrespectful / lawless 14-16 year old?)
These 2 users liked this post: CombatClaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 pm

If there was another referendum vote and the result was 52% Remain and 48% Leave then all the leavers should throw their toys out of the pram and demand another vote until there is a satisfactory outcome.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm

I've got news for the Brexiteers on here.

Fantastic, you are even more determined to vote to leave again. Good for you, your perseverance does you credit.

Every. Single. Poll. suggests that not everyone shares your levels of perseverance.

And the new voters who have come of age since 2016 are about 3:1 in favour of remain.

And the elderly voters who have gone to the great big Brexit in the sky are about 3:1 in favour of leave

Reality folks.

I want us to leave with a deal, but its a peoples vote ahead of a "No Deal" every single time.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Blackrod wrote:If there was another referendum vote and the result was 52% Remain and 48% Leave then all the leavers should throw their toys out of the pram and demand another vote until there is a satisfactory outcome.
They will, and they would have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... m-36306681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm

ClaretAL wrote:The problem is the youth has been targeted and bought it hook, line and sinker, and now what was 14 year old originally, a generation that have been pinpointed for no respect and lawlessness are now 16 and can vote in this
At present you have to be 18 to vote in a GE or referendum :roll: :roll:

If you are going to have a break down at least get basic facts correct.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Lancaster, can you give me an example in the past where the public has changed their mind PRIOR to implementation and the act voted for been cancelled?
The appointment of Winston Churchill as PM in 1940.

A very unpopular appointment at the time

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 pm

The people who have 'come of age' have little experience of different governments and the effect of European involvement versus otherwise. Similarly students often adopt radical views until a more experience and rounded judgement results in more balanced views.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Old people believe any old junk.

Both them and the students have every right to vote, and its ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 pm

ClaretAL wrote:So when the next party that wins the General election, if we dont like the outcome can we have a second go at it because of the ******** we didn't understand, absolute Hippocracy and this country is becoming a dictatorship which our forefathers must be turning in the graves. all this rubbish of "ahh but you now have more knowledge" could be cast over every single election ever run, as none of them deliver what they say.
For the Millionth time! The public was misled and lied to in the run-up to the Brexit vote..........even Putin and his bots were involved!
If this goes to a second referendum, Remain will win handily!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Down_Rover wrote:The appointment of Winston Churchill as PM in 1940.

A very unpopular appointment at the time
So Churchill was voted in by the public, they changed their mind and voted him out prior to his appointment as PM in 1940?

Did you not understand the question or just changing history?
Last edited by Darthlaw on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:For the Millionth time! The public was misled and lied to in the run-up to the Brexit vote..........even Putin and his bots were involved!
Like every General election then?????????

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

What I find difficult is all the assumptions people pontificate.

"People have changed their mind" -- really? How do you know. Please, you're not qouting a minimalist poll are you.

" A no deal will be disastrous" . So, that's a fact then.

"You didn't know what you were voting for" . Thanks for knowing my mind more than I do.

"People have a firm idea about what they're voting for this time so we should vote again". Really?. I was clearer about it first time round. Now it's more confusing than before and I'm even more distrustful about what I hear.

Apparently democracy means continual referendums about whether we want to remain or leave.

Well that's the interpretation I get from the likes of Lancaster claret. Assuming of course he doesn't mean democracy ends when he gets the result he wants. He surely means as events change people have a continual right to vote again on the issue ... Ad-infinitum.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho tiger76 hampsteadclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:For the Millionth time! The public was misled and lied to in the run-up to the Brexit vote..........even Putin and his bots were involved!
Which is why leavers don't want it. They know they will lose. I know that, they know what, you know that.

We all know that.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Claret-On-A-T-Rex

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Blackrod wrote:The people who have 'come of age' have little experience of different governments and the effect of European involvement versus otherwise. Similarly students often adopt radical views until a more experience and rounded judgement results in more balanced views.
I have little knowledge of the effect of the Holy Roman Empire verses otherwise...
If you people "coming of age" are happy with the status quo; the world they grew up in, should they not be respected for defending it?

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:You've explained why you disagree with a further vote, but you haven't put forward a semantic argument as to how any referendum can be undemocratic or how democracy simply ended in June 2016.
I reciprocate your good wishes for a nice evening, and am happy to "agree to disagree".
Thank you. Now you have put the question in a way that is clear to understand.

The first vote is still yet to be delivered.

So the position you can take is -

"its undemocratic to say that we can't vote to remain now"

or

"it's undemocratic to stop something that has democratically been decided but not yet delivered".

I understand that people will argue their view is the right one depending on their position but I feel quite comfortable with the position and my view point as being one that is coherent and logical to the point that I am happy to allow democracy help decide how the first democratic vote should be delivered.

Enjoy your evening.
Last edited by clarethomer on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I’m sure the vote tonight was followed closely by the homeless, food bank users, those waiting for a bed in the NHS, the kids in poverty to name a few, these are due to policies from a party who have chose that for the many. Does it suprise you that everything they touch turns to shite.
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Claret-On-A-T-Rex longsidepies

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm

ClaretAL wrote:Like every General election then?????????
Your arguments are ridiculous......and not based on facts!.... Daily Mail reader perhaps?
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm

We had a general election in May 2015. The conservative party won enough seats to form a majority government. They then decided to offer the public another general election in June 2017.

So just 25 months after the British public voted for a government, they were allowed to have another say on the matter. As it turned out, the public mood had changed during that time and the conservative party lost their majority.

Now I don't remember many of the people who are against a second referendum now complaining that the will of the people was being ignored or disrespected back in June 2017.

If the public can have another say just 25 months after a general election, why can't they have another say 31 months after a (flawed) referendum?

If you think it's undemocratic to have a second referendum now, you must have thought it was undemocratic to have a general election in 2017.

If you think a second referendum disrespects the will of the people of 2016, then you must have thought the general election of 2017 disrespected the will of the people of 2015.

But that wasn't the case. There were no howls of betrayal when we had a general election in 2017. People accepted that the public mood had shifted, and the democratic result reflected that.

It's time to go back to the public. Not only is it the right and democratic thing to do, it's also the only way out of this mess.
These 5 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Stockbrokerbelt dermotdermot CombatClaret longsidepies

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Espia wrote:What I find difficult is all the assumptions people pontificate.

"People have changed their mind" -- really? How do you know. Please, you're not qouting a minimalist poll are you.

" A no deal will be disastrous" . So, that's a fact then.

"You didn't know what you were voting for" . Thanks for knowing my mind more than I do.

"People have a firm idea about what they're voting for this time so we should vote again". Really?. I was clearer about it first time round. Now it's more confusing than before and I'm even more distrustful about what I hear.

Apparently democracy means continual referendums about whether we want to remain or leave.

Well that's the interpretation I get from the likes of Lancaster claret. Assuming of course he doesn't mean democracy ends when he gets the result he wants. He surely means as events change people have a continual right to vote again on the issue ... Ad-infinitum.
Read the news. There's been many polls and they have all come back as people now wanting to remain.

I'm on the fence. And I know how clear it is. It relies on common sense. The thing is, most people do not have common sense. And that is why they still question things like this.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Lots of people who voted leave attacking me for stating reality.

Got news for you boys, I've been telling you reality for about two years now and guess what, you lot are still refusing to accept it.

Still no response to the question of how we go about getting out of this mess, but lots of attacks about democracy not being fluid and a 2nd democratic vote being....*checks notes* Really? *check notes again* "undemocratic"

And again, that is my last resort option. I am not in favour of it. I want a deal. I want anything that isn't a "No Deal" Brexit but also represents good value for the UK.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So Churchill was voted in by the public, they changed their mind and voted him out prior to his appointment as PM in 1940?

Did you not understand the question or just changing history?
No Churchill was never elected

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2897 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:She’s lost a parliament vote by a record amount. Has a government that has the most horrendous policies since and including Thatcher’s disaster. She’s split the nation over a policy that hardly anyone cared about previously.

Yet Corbyn is a cockwomble.
I know, you couldn’t make it up. His speech tonight was appalling, it was pathetic, it was almost childlike in its ineptitude. How can the Tories be 6 points ahead???

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Still no response to the question of how we go about getting out of this mess, but lots of attacks about democracy not being fluid and a 2nd democratic vote being....*checks notes* Really? *check notes again* "undemocratic"
And yet still no example from you of a democratic decision being reversed PRIOR to its implementation.

Lancasterclaret wrote:I've been telling you reality for about two years now and guess what, you lot are still refusing to accept it.
Irony.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:44 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Amounts to the same thing doesn't it?
To extend we simply revoke on March 29th and - if / when we choose to do so - re-invoke at any time of our own choosing. That extends it without EU involvement.
There's a belief, although I haven't seen this definitively either way, that if we did this (i.e. didn't revoke in good faith) then it wouldn't reset the clock and when Article 50 was invoked the second time you would only get the time remaining from when it was first revoked (so a month or two).

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:44 pm

WTF is Sadie Khan talking about - you can only withdraw Article 50 if it’s unequivocal, not just to get more time!!! He hasn’t read the judgement, he’s a disgrace!

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Remainers seem to have forced the no deal Brexit they have always been so feverishly against.

Good on them

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Which is why leavers don't want it. They know they will lose. I know that, they know what, you know that.

We all know that.
Or more to the point a record turnout voted, because they were told "its about what you want" but obviously not because the result was not liked. so now in a referendum, a vote will be seen as a general election type vote and no where near the turn out, because people will think no matter what we vote it will be the outcome of the establishment so back to the usual turnout.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Lots of people who voted leave attacking me for stating reality.

Got news for you boys, I've been telling you reality for about two years now and guess what, you lot are still refusing to accept it.

And again, that is my last resort option. I am not in favour of it. I want a deal. I want anything that isn't a "No Deal" Brexit but also represents good value for the UK.

How about you start with some humility and acknowledgement that your reality isn't the reality for everyone.

Ive told you how I would like to see us move forward from here. 2nd vote - we know the deal (we ain't getting another one) or we go without the deal.

Nothing more complicated about it. However if that challenges your reality as you know it - I respect that but no need to keep harping on how your view is the right one and anyone who disagrees is clueless.

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Old people believe any old junk.

Both them and the students have every right to vote, and its ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
Not seen anyone suggesting they don't have the right but then again I've not read the entire thread. Whilst I don't class myself as 'old' this is ageist. Many cultures believe you become wiser with age and therefore an older person wouldn't believe 'any old junk'. Clearly you are not from one of these cultures. By contrast younger people can be quite impressionable.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Doubt that immensely Damo

But you never know I guess

Darth, I like you, I like your posts but on Brexit you are as wrong as Ringo was.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Blackrod wrote:Not seen anyone suggesting they don't have the right but then again I've not read the entire thread. Whilst I don't class myself as 'old' this is ageist. Many cultures believe you become wiser with age and therefore an older person wouldn't believe 'any old junk'. Clearly you are not from one of these cultures. By contrast younger people can be quite impressionable.
Whilst I don’t class myself as “young”, this is ageist.
Blackrod wrote:The people who have 'come of age' have little experience of different governments and the effect of European involvement versus otherwise. Similarly students often adopt radical views until a more experience and rounded judgement results in more balanced views.
...and so is this.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Damo wrote:Remainers seem to have forced the no deal Brexit they have always been so feverishly against.

Good on them
Not going to happen. Our parliamentary sovereignty wouldn’t allow for it.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Can someone tell me exactly what is Labour's stance towards finding a solution.

All I hear is we will consider everything.

Bloody brilliant leadership is that by the cockwomble.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:WTF is Sadie Khan talking about - you can only withdraw Article 50 if it’s unequivocal, not just to get more time!!! He hasn’t read the judgement, he’s a disgrace!
As a sovereign state we can unilaterally withdraw article 50 and re-invoke it at any future point, though presumably only after we have got everything lined-up and in order, unlike the first time, which was sheer stupidity from a naive PM keen to appease extremists in her own party.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Liberals are always tolerant of others opinions as long as they agree with them.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Doubt that immensely Damo

But you never know I guess

Darth, I like you, I like your posts but on Brexit you are as wrong as Ringo was.
Likewise.

In a discussion here though, I’ve asked for an example (not necessarily from you) of a democratic decision be reneged prior to its enactment, thanks to a ‘change of mind’ second decision.

This is what annoys me with the whole ‘you can vote to change your government every x years, when you change your mind’ argument... They at least get into power before they are voted out.

Should Brexit fail, it sets a dangerous precedent for our government to ignore the will of their people, until a second ‘are you sure’ vote can be taken.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Think we have to revoke, but I can't see how we can do that without a referendum, which we don't have time for.

Extension with EU approval would only be granted in the event of an election or another referendum.

Again, give me a way out of this without any of the above.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Read the news. There's been many polls and they have all come back as people now wanting to remain.

I'm on the fence. And I know how clear it is. It relies on common sense. The thing is, most people do not have common sense. And that is why they still question things like this.
See, there you go again. Minimalist polls of a few hundred, maybe a few thousand, are assumed to be an accurate reflection on the views of tens of millions who voted last time. It's not.

The referendum was not where democracy ended. It cannot be compared to other votes such as general elections. It was a singular issue. Do you want to leave the EU? The answer was YES.

You cannot rewrite history. I'm afraid the question was not "do you want to leave the EU and then have another vote 2 years from now to see if you really do want to leave". If it was then I would have no problem with that. And in many ways it would have been the sensible thing to have asked. In fact there should perhaps have never been a referendum in the first place. I can accept that argument more than I can for having a second referendum.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Can someone tell me exactly what is Labour's stance towards finding a solution.

All I hear is we will consider everything.

Bloody brilliant leadership is that by the cockwomble.
I'm no fan of Corbyn or his personal stance on brexit, but the Labour Party position on a Customs Union and some close alignment with the Single Market is pretty clear; and some form of deal that included those would both solve the "Irish" question and almost certainly be accepted by the EU and secure a majority in Parliament.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Okay, Ireland, France and Denmark with the EU.

All three changed their minds in the next one.

The various treaties (Lisbon and Maastricht) were changed slightly before the 2nd vote.

That may well work here, but I'm not sure what changes we can make that work for both us and the EU.

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Greenmile wrote:Not going to happen. Our parliamentary sovereignty wouldn’t allow for it.
You have lots of faith in parliamentary sovereignty.

Personally, 3/1 at the bookmakers looks like a tasty bet to me

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Any of you Brexiteers accept that we might need to extend Article 50, or are you happy with a "No Deal"?

Again, I'm going to need some concrete info why a "No Deal" works for the UK btw

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Is that 3/1 for a "No Deal" Damo?

if so thats probably worth at least a couple of euros bet

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I'm no fan of Corbyn
You can stop telling us that now pal. We get it :lol:

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 pm

Is anyone on here a fan of Corbyn (apart from AndrewJB!)?
These 3 users liked this post: Damo clarethomer nil_desperandum

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Is that 3/1 for a "No Deal" Damo?

if so thats probably worth at least a couple of euros bet
That's to leave th EU without a deal by April fools day, with coral
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Damo wrote:You can stop telling us that now pal. We get it :lol:
It's quite important to recognise though that whilst there is a significant proportion of the population who are broadly supportive of many of Labour's current ideas, we totally despair at the ineptitude of Corbyn in seeking to deliver them, despite the total shambles that May is "leading".
This user liked this post: Damo

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 pm

52 - 48: THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
432 - 202: Have another crack in a few days
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Espia wrote:See, there you go again. Minimalist polls of a few hundred, maybe a few thousand, are assumed to be an accurate reflection on the views of tens of millions who voted last time. It's not.

The referendum was not where democracy ended. It cannot be compared to other votes such as general elections. It was a singular issue. Do you want to leave the EU? The answer was YES.

You cannot rewrite history. I'm afraid the question was not "do you want to leave the EU and then have another vote 2 years from now to see if you really do want to leave". If it was then I would have no problem with that. And in many ways it would have been the sensible thing to have asked. In fact there should perhaps have never been a referendum in the first place. I can accept that argument more than I can for having a second referendum.
Don't answer for me. You degrade yourself when you think you can vote for people. You can't. So don't do it. You're actually arguing with someone who (as said) is on the fence. And why would anybody rewrite history? It's like a blank cheque where politics is concerned. There is nothing to cash. They all come out with the same crap. Corbyn is against May - HE IS NOT against her decision. He wants the same thing as her - but what else can he do, other than use that to gain power? By that I mean both May and Corbyn want to remain. We can all see it.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:19 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:As a sovereign state we can unilaterally withdraw article 50 and re-invoke it at any future point, though presumably only after we have got everything lined-up and in order, unlike the first time, which was sheer stupidity from a naive PM keen to appease extremists in her own party.
No we can’t, you haven’t read the judgment and the bit about a withdrawal being unequivocal.