Cesar Menotti

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Cesar Menotti

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Manager of the 1978 Argentina World Cup winning team - now back as the top man with the Argentine FA as Director of National Teams at the age of 80. I wonder if he still chain smokes.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: Cesar Menotti

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

That looks like a cigarette, not a chain.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony houseboy

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:That looks like a cigarette, not a chain.
:lol:

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

El Flaco is still pretty slim but I doubt that he smokes much (if at all); he had a growth removed from his lung c 7 years ago.
No yellowed fingers in this picture (or was that only with the old untipped fags you got that anyway?) https://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/cesar- ... LI_jU.html

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm

LeadBelly wrote:El Flaco is still pretty slim but I doubt that he smokes much (if at all); he had a growth removed from his lung c 7 years ago.
No yellowed fingers in this picture (or was that only with the old untipped fags you got that anyway?) https://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/cesar- ... LI_jU.html
You sure he is not taking charge of the German FA?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm

A hint of Mark Lawrenson and Franz Beckenbauer in that picture.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:22 pm

I don't recall all of the story but wasn't the 1978 World Cup a fix to ensure the Argies won it?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Foulthrow wrote:I don't recall all of the story but wasn't the 1978 World Cup a fix to ensure the Argies won it?
No - they were brilliant and fully deserved it. There were questions asked over their 6-0 drubbing of Peru but who knows (they only needed to win by 4 anyway) but nothing else suggested any fixes. Questions could also be asked of the (also brilliant) Dutch team after their game against Scotland where they appeared to manufacture a narrow defeat to avoid stronger opposition after the group stage. Every time they looked liked losing by too many to qualify they strolled up and scored.

Seriously any team containing the likes of Kempes, Luque, Tarantini, Houseman, Pasarella and Ardiles and playing at home would always be odds on favourites.

Still my all-time favourite world cup finals for excitement and atmosphere.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Aye, Argentina had a great team for that WC. There was a lot of trouble in the country at that time with the military dictatorship and death squads etc but the footy was excellent.
I started living in Nottingham early in 1978 and went on Forest's first game of the 78/9 season to see Villa and Ardiles play for Spurs there. 41,000+ gate for that (10,000 up on normal) - due to the new Spurs WC stars. There weren't anything like as many foreign players in the leagues then and 2 WC stars was a big draw. It ended 1-1 Martin O'Neill scored for Forest, Ricky Villa for Spuds.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Having a player like Kempes at the top of his game was a major plus for Argentina as was playing at home. The Dutch were victims of those 'fine margins' in the final as only the width of a post prevented Robbie Rensenbrink winning it for his team.
Always believed that the Dutch side in 1974 were very unlucky but much of that was down to their own arrogance and for some,especially Win van Hanegem, their absolute hatred of the Germans. Exhilarating stuff to watch in 1974, though as a new concept of 'total football' made its mark on the world stage with a minnow, Holland, demonstrating how it should be done.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Having a player like Kempes at the top of his game was a major plus for Argentina as was playing at home. The Dutch were victims of those 'fine margins' in the final as only the width of a post prevented Robbie Rensenbrink winning it for his team.
Always believed that the Dutch side in 1974 were very unlucky but much of that was down to their own arrogance and for some,especially Win van Hanegem, their absolute hatred of the Germans. Exhilarating stuff to watch in 1974, though as a new concept of 'total football' made its mark on the world stage with a minnow, Holland, demonstrating how it should be done.
Absolutely. I think Holland from '74 (and '78 to a slightly lesser extent) must go down as the best side to never win the World Cup, they lost to West Germany (brilliant at the time) and Argentina when those two sides were absolutley at the top of their game. In any other year they would probably have won it. The only other 'best side never to win it' (but I was too young to remember) who may come close were the Hungarian side of the 50's but I'm not really qualified to say, it's just what I've read. Did anyone on here ever see that team play, I know they got called the mighty Magyars with Puskas at the heart of everything apparently.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 pm

houseboy wrote: where they appeared to manufacture a narrow defeat to avoid stronger opposition after the group stage.
Sounds strangely familiar in a World Cup context!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:Sounds strangely familiar in a World Cup context!
Not the first time. Not just the WC either.

I was at Deepdale when we won the old second division championship ahead of QPR in the most ridiculous game I think I've ever seen. The last 20 minutes were the oddest I've witrnessed I think. We both needed a point and a draw was obvious pretty much from the start.

Happy days.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 pm

I was only 2 years old when Hungary 'blew' the final against Germany in 1954. I have two older brothers who I relied on as a youngster to whet my appetite for football knowledge and so it was from then that I learned about the mighty Magyars, Puskas, Hidegkuti, Kocsis, Fenyvesi et al. Hungary had given England a footballing lesson prior to the World Cup,winning 6-3 at Wembley and then 7-1 in Budapest a few months later. In the World Cup group games they had beaten Germany 8-3 and in the final were 2-0 up early in the game. Whether they were finding it too easy or not they eased up and the game swung dramatically Germany's way with them winning the game 3-2. Unfortunately that was about as good as it was going to get for that group of players as social and political upheaval decimated the country.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:I was only 2 years old when Hungary 'blew' the final against Germany in 1954. I have two older brothers who I relied on as a youngster to whet my appetite for football knowledge and so it was from then that I learned about the mighty Magyars, Puskas, Hidegkuti, Kocsis, Fenyvesi et al. Hungary had given England a footballing lesson prior to the World Cup,winning 6-3 at Wembley and then 7-1 in Budapest a few months later. In the World Cup group games they had beaten Germany 8-3 and in the final were 2-0 up early in the game. Whether they were finding it too easy or not they eased up and the game swung dramatically Germany's way with them winning the game 3-2. Unfortunately that was about as good as it was going to get for that group of players as social and political upheaval decimated the country.
And I'm sure you're aware of the man that the " mighty Magyars " regarded as their mentor and teacher ......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25055156

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Enjoyed reading that. What a tribute! I probably reminisce too much at times but those halcyon days of the 50's,60's and even 70's when I was growing up hold so many wonderful memories for me of unsung heroes, giant-killing acts and players and teams throughout the world who had their 'time in the sun' that sadly much of today's generation know little or nothing about.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm

I loved Jimmy Hogan's quote, " Everything I know about football, I learned on Fulledge Rec " .....

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:51 pm

1974 was the first World Cup I watched so for that reason ranks as my favourite - memories of that Holland team stand-out and there's a strong case to be made for them being the best team never to win it.

They were not quite the same force in '78 (no Cryuff) but to get to a second successive final, this time on South American soil, was a huge achievement. My abiding memory of the final was the row over the Dutch player's plaster cast - was it Rene Van Der Kerkhof (sp?)

Argentina were worthy winners but the game v Peru was exceedingly dodgy - I seem to recall there was a lot of talk about an unpaid bill for the supply of military equipment being wiped out providing the required 4-0 win materialised. People of a certain age will remember the Peru 'keeper Ramon Quiroga - 'El Loco' - who certainly played his part in ensuring the right result. Can't remember if it was that game or another in the tournament where he took-out an opposition striker on the halfway line with a rugby tackle and received only a yellow card - those were the days!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:1974 was the first World Cup I watched so for that reason ranks as my favourite - memories of that Holland team stand-out and there's a strong case to be made for them being the best team never to win it.

They were not quite the same force in '78 (no Cryuff) but to get to a second successive final, this time on South American soil, was a huge achievement. My abiding memory of the final was the row over the Dutch player's plaster cast - was it Rene Van Der Kerkhof (sp?)

Argentina were worthy winners but the game v Peru was exceedingly dodgy - I seem to recall there was a lot of talk about an unpaid bill for the supply of military equipment being wiped out providing the required 4-0 win materialised. People of a certain age will remember the Peru 'keeper Ramon Quiroga - 'El Loco' - who certainly played his part in ensuring the right result. Can't remember if it was that game or another in the tournament where he took-out an opposition striker on the halfway line with a rugby tackle and received only a yellow card - those were the days!
The seventies had three great world cup tournaments..... the 1978 the greatest of them all....and 82 was a bit special with Italy?