Bent in a mess

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Bent in a mess

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 pm

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... -bankrupt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not having/had a good time of things if this article is to be believed.

How do they manage to do this ? Beggars belief.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: Bent in a mess

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Sympathy = 0. Plenty of help around these days, unlike the past, they can afford to get help and support.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

This isn't just a football problem. 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or in financial distress within 2 years of retiring.

JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by JimMcDonald » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Confronting a police officer with a meat cleaver aswell as affray and possesion of cocaine ?

How isnt he im jail ??

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:Sympathy = 0. Plenty of help around these days, unlike the past, they can afford to get help and support.
I've got quite a bit of sympathy.... and he is of the transition generation. People were waking up to the problem of managing sudden wealth but little was in place to counter it. Bad habits take some overcoming and when you are not used to living in the real world, full of yes men and hangers on telling you its all under control, it must be far worse.

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I've got quite a bit of sympathy.... and he is of the transition generation. People were waking up to the problem of managing sudden wealth but little was in place to counter it. Bad habits take some overcoming and when you are not used to living in the real world, full of yes men and hangers on telling you its all under control, it must be far worse.
Not quite as bad as trying to raise a family on minimum wage, zero hours contracts.
Grow a pair, if it's so difficult to earn so much money, set yourself a cap, say £100k and distribute the rest to people who will never even earn that in a lifetime.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:Not quite as bad as trying to raise a family on minimum wage, zero hours contracts.
Grow a pair, if it's so difficult to earn so much money, set yourself a cap, say £100k and distribute the rest to people who will never even earn that in a lifetime.
Nobody said it was the same. Because it isn't but losing everything is the same whether its a Merc or a Mini / dog or cat.

Thinks its more a case of how the mighty have fallen... and I'm not crying over him.... but its still a **** thing to happen to him and a tough time ahead. It does, I'll give you take a wise man to point out to him that he could have done things differently. I should imagine he's thought that himself, funnily enough.

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Nobody said it was the same. Because it isn't but losing everything is the same whether its a Merc or a Mini / dog or cat.

Thinks its more a case of how the mighty have fallen... and I'm not crying over him.... but its still a **** thing to happen to him and a tough time ahead. It does, I'll give you take a wise man to point out to him that he could have done things differently. I should imagine he's thought that himself, funnily enough.
I agree, but I still struggle to feel as sorry for the millionaire bankrupt as the man who never had anything.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:39 pm

******* reject

Best headline was the dack 1 from last night

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Possibly because neither of us has been in that position, or at least in my case not even approaching it. I lost a business that potentially could have made me a rich man though until it overgrew and was strangled by its own cash flow... and to be honest it feels a lot worse than the times you a looking under the cushions for change. Must be a strong man to recover from it... took me ten years and I could only see it, he lived it and lost it. Poor sod.
These 2 users liked this post: chekhov Quicknick

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:03 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:This isn't just a football problem. 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or in financial distress within 2 years of retiring.

I believe the figure you quoted was considerable higher a couple of decades ago. It makes one wonder why many ex NFL players aren’t able to take advantage of the……cough, cough, choke, choke……’degree’ they ‘earned’ in college prior to being drafted by an NFL team. Possibly their local McDonalds, IHOP or Burger Kings aren’t hiring?

:lol:

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I've got quite a bit of sympathy.... and he is of the transition generation. People were waking up to the problem of managing sudden wealth but little was in place to counter it. Bad habits take some overcoming and when you are not used to living in the real world, full of yes men and hangers on telling you its all under control, it must be far worse.
I've seen a number of instances over the years, and been involved in a few, of "financial advisors" taking advantage of footballers. Getting them to buy them cars, cover mortgage payments, dodgy investments (particularly those that rack up a sizeable, unexpected tax bill), etc.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:54 am

The hangers on. Is one major problem. Then keeping up with the joneses or in this case even wealthier teammates etc. Ill advise. And general lack of knowledge of the real world. Relatively short career despite the riches. Risk of injury or lack of form affecting the next contract. Earning millions in some cases before most people of that age are earning anything at all. Its all a disaster waiting to happen.

As much as i love football and like every kid wanted to be one, I couldnt think of anything worse.

Im sure Bent at one point had gone for the most combined fees?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 am

[quote="Pimlico_Claret"]Not quite as bad as trying to raise a family on minimum wage, zero hours contracts.
Grow a pair, if it's so difficult to earn so much money, set yourself a cap, say £100k and distribute the rest to people who will never even earn that in a lifetime.[/quote
I share some of that Pimlico but come on £100k in a life time? My basic OAP will give me that in 12 years

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am

A relative of mine in the car industry told me that a player goes into his garage likes a car asks my relative how much £104,000. Player says great, how would you like to pay. Cash came the answer. Why don't you finance the car on these super plans we have these days and go and buy a house (North West player) if you have that much cash and rent the house out? Player is now a property tycoon, relative has sold him many cars since as trust was established by the financial advice. As above posts say it does appear that players personal wealth doesn't equal player common sense on how to manage it. Maybe too many are advised on how to spend it on a good times by "FRIENDS" too often.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Bankrupt but still owns two houses! Do the decent thing and sell to pay off part of your debts

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Good point Spike- he won’t have lost the houses, unlike the innocent creditors who get next to nothing.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm

I find it astonishing how many ex Rovers players have found themselves in this situation ...... Sephen Hendry, Barry Fergusson, Chris Sutton, Brad Friedel, Keith Gillespie and others .....

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 pm

If you dance with the devil you end up in hell.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:03 pm

If he’s looking for sympathy, he’ll find it in the dictionary between sh!t and syphillis.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am

Clarets4me wrote:I find it astonishing how many ex Rovers players have found themselves in this situation ...... Sephen Hendry, (sp) .
I never realised my Cousins Nephew played football, let alone for t'Rovers :lol:

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:49 pm

And trying to attack a copper with a meat cleaver..pressures of modern life eh. Not an ounce of sympathy (not that i don't wish him a healthy recovery) utter bellendry of the highest level. The earnings he made p1ssed away in a haze of coke,birds n booze. He wants to try a few years in the real world

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm

This may not reflect well on me, but I can’t really have much sympathy at all for any Millionaire that ends up on Skid Row; footballers or otherwise.