Judas Coyle ten year challenge

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Re: Judas Coyle ten year challenge

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's the point, there was virtually nothing left by the time Dyche came in. We had to sell players and the only transfer fee he was able to pay out was £450,000 for Ashley Barnes. It had gone, no matter who was to blame, all the benefits from the first promotion had gone. There was no wage bill to sustain, players such as Ross Wallace and Dean Marney had to take drops in pay while others opted to walk out and find other clubs.
There was however players like Shackell, Trippier, Mee, Ings, Vokes to name a few, all able to be bought because of the work Coyle did for us.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Whatever you think about him the first PL promotion laid the foundations for where we are now.

To deny that is to deny logic.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Not sure Coyle deserves any of the credit for Howe spending less than a total £5m on five players of that quality....other than the obvious link that we would have probably been in administration and have no money for transfers but for his promotion....but if we used that as the basis for every transfer since we may aswell build a statue of Coyle and name the ground Judas Moor !

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It was on an official document regarding us being under the transfer embargo. I was a little surprised.

Danny Fox was a Laws signing
And Akinbiyi even the second time round was Cotterill.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Ten year challenge.

2019 Brexit debate in Parliament.
2029 Brexit debate in Parliament.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's the point, there was virtually nothing left by the time Dyche came in. We had to sell players and the only transfer fee he was able to pay out was £450,000 for Ashley Barnes. It had gone, no matter who was to blame, all the benefits from the first promotion had gone. There was no wage bill to sustain, players such as Ross Wallace and Dean Marney had to take drops in pay while others opted to walk out and find other clubs.
The club didn't have all of the money for Barnes transfer either and relied upon the generosity of many fans, myself being one of them, who put their hands in their pockets to loan the club the money for the Barnes deal. We were pretty skint TBH.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:you being Satan and all what does that this thread have to do with Candlemas (even if OC is Catholic)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlemas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not what I had in mind

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 pm

All of this talk of Judas really does show just how lucky we are to have Sean Dyche as manager.

He has worked wonders on a very limited budget and goes "toe to toe" with the best in the World.

In Sean Dyche we trust. As for Judas... WHO?!

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Yesterday's man, gone and forgotten.

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 pm

I think it’s difficult to argue against his contribution to our being where we are now. And what a season it was.

Turned out to be a cunnt though so it’s a good laugh seeing him perpetually humiliated.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 pm

TVC15 wrote:I don’t know how much Eagles cost but I doubt it was £400k.
He did buy Diego Penny for £400k though which is pretty much as much as Dyche spent in total !!
Pato cost a million, Akinbyi £700k, Eckersley £500k, Edgar £500k, Fletcher £3m, Easton £300k, Kev McDonald £500k, Fox £1.5m, Bikey £3m etc

Promotion season for Dyche mostly free transfers and £350k on Barnes. First year in premier league, Keane £3m and Sordell / Juke for total of about £2m.

The other big difference is the increase in value of their respective buys. Under Coyle what we made on Fletcher we lost on Bikey, Easton and Eckersley. Made a bit on Eagles and Mears but again cancelled out by Fox etc.

The value of players under Dyche has increased massively. Their 2 records are not comparable but as said we should be thankful for both as we may have never got Dyche without Coyles promotion
Cotterill signed Akinbiyi both times.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Looking back on it now, and how useless Coyle has been since. It was a minor miracle that we got promoted that season.

I see him on punditry shows now and almost feel sorry for him.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I wish some folk would finally get it into their heads that it wasn't him physically going to Bolton which was the reason (and continues to be) for the dislike of the man.

The man was and is so full of ****.
What kind of man would I be if I jumped ship as soon as a better offer came along?
Bolton will be a fantastic job for someone but my focus is on Burnley. I've had speculation time and time again but I love being at this wonderful football club: I just feel very privileged to be manager here. I enjoy my work, enjoy coming through the door every morning. I think the players enjoy working for me and the fans like coming. I'm building something here.
I may have been evasive but I'd rather be evasive than tell anybody a lie

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

His "evasive" lies were what did it for me,

I am now glad that he left, I am glad that everything that he has touched since has turned to shoite, and I will never forgive him for the way in which he left BUT, we are far better off for what has happened since.

I just wonder if he ever regrets what he did 9 years ago?

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Whatever you think about him the first PL promotion laid the foundations for where we are now.

To deny that is to deny logic.
To deny that the man is a **** is to deny logic also

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:23 am

And not a word on Cotts who gave Coyle, Elliot, Caldwell, Duff, Alexander, Carlisle, Chris McCann and saw the start of Jay Rodriguez. Weren't there just 3 OC players in the Play Off final Pato, Thompson and Kalvenes?

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 am

To use that tired, worn out old line, we were fourth favourite for relegation in Dyche's first full season. That was the psychology of the fans (especially after his horrible first half-season), that was the psychology of the club (which necessitated the Charlie Austin sale), it was the stone cold reality of the situation. It's mad to give Coyle a single paltry ounce of credit for what Dyche and Dyche alone has achieved at this club. I remember being at Hillsborough in August of that automatic promotion season thinking I'd take 21st right there and then...but then we went and surpassed all reasonable expectation. Dyche's first full season laid the foundation for everything we've built and achieved since. By comparison, Coyle's promotion/PL season was like winning a grand on a coupon and blowing it all on a day at the races: it was lucky, it was fun for a bit, but, ultimately, we had **** all to show for it.
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 mdd2

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 am

Spiral wrote:To use that tired, worn out old line, we were fourth favourite for relegation in Dyche's first full season. That was the psychology of the fans (especially after his horrible first half-season), that was the psychology of the club (which necessitated the Charlie Austin sale), it was the stone cold reality of the situation. It's mad to give Coyle a single paltry ounce of credit for what Dyche and Dyche alone has achieved at this club. I remember being at Hillsborough in August of that automatic promotion season thinking I'd take 21st right there and then...but then we went and surpassed all reasonable expectation. Dyche's first full season laid the foundation for everything we've built and achieved since. By comparison, Coyle's promotion/PL season was like winning a grand on a coupon and blowing it all on a day at the races: it was lucky, it was fun for a bit, but, ultimately, we had **** all to show for it.
Wrong. We beat Spurs 4-2 and moved to 18th got an extra £750k and improved the pitch massively. I know he had gone by then but he had, not literally, laid the foundations for the pitch. Also had we replicated the points from the first 19 games in the last 19 we would have stayed up.
Otherwise save for my nit picking Spiral I agree

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 am

ClaretTony wrote:He did get us to the PL but he is very definitely not the reason we are here now.
Honest answer. Do you think we would be there now had he not took us there then?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am

Spijed wrote:I always think we would have mirrored PNE in that had we missed out on promotion we may have dropped a division, with many clubs having done so recently.

But once the ship had stabilised we would in all likelihood got promoted back to the Championship again.
Probably a fair assesment. Throughout my lifetime we were always very closely matched but with preston more often than not having the edge.

Not even in the same league now in many ways.

But we could easily have and still one day could be preston, bolton, blackburn or god forbid blackpool. And they could be us.

But we have done very well since Barry Kilby came on board.