Judas Coyle ten year challenge

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Judas Coyle ten year challenge

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Could someone with the technical ability please do me
And the rest of this board the favour of compiling a few pictures for this ten year challenge thing that’s going round, but on behalf of Judas Coyle .

I think this would reflect rather well in the shite he served back then.

UTC

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Judas Coyle ten year challenge

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Get over it

He got us to the PL and is the reason we are here now.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Woodleyclaret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote: and is the reason we are here now.

:lol:

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote::lol:
Maybe not directly but he left which lead to Dyche eventually being here.

If he left later it could have all been a different ball game.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18203 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Get over it

Don't be a fool all your life have a day off.
Coyle dumped us in the mire when he "went to a club 10 years ahead of Burnley" in January 2009..... The club that looks odds on for the 3rd Division AGAIN...
Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche are the reason we are where we are...
Owen Coyle is clutching at scraps around the edges of Football a reputation tarnished by failure.....
Only 2 clubs managed by him have achieved anything notable St Johnstone and Burnley.

Since 2009 he has relegated 3 clubs and finished in the lowest point possoble in the MLS because there is no Relegation.

He is a clown living on Irn Bru and Krispy Kreme Donuts (his treat of choice for the lads on the training field at Gawthorpe if they did well)
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Healeywoodclaret

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 pm

Could this thread have not waited till the 2nd February

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Bolton maybe heading for tier three but don't count your chickens for us staying in tier one. Bolton may yet be in tier two along with us next season

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 pm

Bosscat wrote:Don't be a fool all your life have a day off.
Coyle dumped us in the mire when he "went to a club 10 years ahead of Burnley" in January 2009..... The club that looks odds on for the 3rd Division AGAIN...
Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche are the reason we are where we are...
Owen Coyle is clutching at scraps around the edges of Football a reputation tarnished by failure.....
Only 2 clubs managed by him have achieved anything notable St Johnstone and Burnley.

Since 2009 he has relegated 3 clubs and finished in the lowest point possoble in the MLS because there is no Relegation.

He is a clown living on Irn Bru and Krispy Kreme Donuts (his treat of choice for the lads on the training field at Gawthorpe if they did well)
You should be glad that such an awful manager took us to the PL for the first time. Left us in an healty position in the league and left the club with a full January transfer window to work with.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 pm

Dyched wrote:You should be glad that such an awful manager took us to the PL for the first time. Left us in an healty position in the league and left the club with a full January transfer window to work with.
But rudderless with no back room staff, taking I think, a couple of players he was to bring to us to Bolton

Bdc
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Bdc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:09 am

now vs then
OC.jpg
OC.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
OC now.png
OC now.png (828.88 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:47 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Could this thread have not waited till the 2nd February
you being Satan and all what does that this thread have to do with Candlemas (even if OC is Catholic)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlemas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 am

Bosscat wrote:Don't be a fool all your life have a day off.
There's always something amusing but a bit sad about someone who doesn't quite know what's what, telling other people that they are fools.

Tell me again who was manager when we won the play-offs on 25th May 2009? :?
This user liked this post: houseboy

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:12 am

Another Coyle thread? Not like his departure has actually had any serious long term effects on the club is it? And he basically put Rovers in the third division.

Getting a bit tiresome now. Could understand if it was in any way still impacting the club.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:33 am

These 8 users liked this post: RammyClaret61 fatboy47 Stalbansclaret THEWELLERNUT70 bfcjg SussexDon1inIreland BFCmaj Cornwallclaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Could someone with the technical ability please do me.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 am

Oshkoshclaret wrote:Image

Wow people have taken this way out of context, his was all that was required, thanks to the gent who provided it

UTC
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

nuttersuclan
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 493 times

Post by nuttersuclan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 am

For your delectation...

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 am

Tend to agree with this. Never quite been able to understand why there is so much hatred toward him. Yes, he left us in the lurch but he was offered what he thought was a better job at a club he loved. How many on here can honestly say they wouldn't do the same? In hindsight he made a mistake and we recovered from it but I don't think all the bile is justified. As has been said many times he got us to the PL in the first place and the money from that hasn't done us any harm at all, he was the foundation of what we have now.

nuttersuclan
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 493 times

Post by nuttersuclan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am

houseboy wrote:Tend to agree with this. Never quite been able to understand why there is so much hatred toward him. Yes, he left us in the lurch but he was offered what he thought was a better job at a club he loved. How many on here can honestly say they wouldn't do the same? In hindsight he made a mistake and we recovered from it but I don't think all the bile is justified. As has been said many times he got us to the PL in the first place and the money from that hasn't done us any harm at all, he was the foundation of what we have now.
You know can poke fun at something and not take it seriously, right?

As it happens, I hate the horse faced s**t

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 am

I think it's fair to say we ended up better off. But we did find ourselves very bitter for quite a while.

I do worry about the amount of times '10 years ahead' comes up. 10 years ago Bolton were where we are now.
Hopefully in 10 years time we won't be in the same position as Bolton.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 am

nuttersuclan wrote:You know can poke fun at something and not take it seriously, right?

As it happens, I hate the horse faced s**t
Humour I understand mate but much of what is aimed at Coyle isn't in the least but humurous, he has come in for a lot of stick, in fact you yourself just said you hate him, why?

You do understand the concept of changing jobs for what you think is a better prospect, right?

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2972 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 am

You do understand the concept of schadenfreude and the joy in seeing hubris punctured, right ?
Every time there is a thread on here taking the **** out of Coyle on here there are those who seek to lecture us on our immaturity and explain how the liar's betrayal was just someone making a good career move / acting in the best interest of their family etc etc and we should grow up and move on.
It's football for goodness sake ...if we want to have our pantomime villains and hold illogical grudges we will do (albeit that in Coyle's case it's probably fair to say he nailed on our relegation so it's not even illogical). The sheer joyous Partridge-ness of Coyle's decline is a gift that keeps on giving as far as I'm concerned and if I, and others, want to pause now and again and think on it then we will do.....we don't need "sensible" people telling us we are childish etc It's fun.
These 9 users liked this post: nuttersuclan bodge fatboy47 Bosscat vinrogue Sausage bfcjg NL Claret Ric_C

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:16 am

Owen Coyle, football's very own Hans Sprungfeld

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6842 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Expertly summed up by stalbansclaret.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:You do understand the concept of schadenfreude and the joy in seeing hubris punctured, right ?
Every time there is a thread on here taking the **** out of Coyle on here there are those who seek to lecture us on our immaturity and explain how the liar's betrayal was just someone making a good career move / acting in the best interest of their family etc etc and we should grow up and move on.
It's football for goodness sake ...if we want to have our pantomime villains and hold illogical grudges we will do (albeit that in Coyle's case it's probably fair to say he nailed on our relegation so it's not even illogical). The sheer joyous Partridge-ness of Coyle's decline is a gift that keeps on giving as far as I'm concerned and if I, and others, want to pause now and again and think on it then we will do.....we don't need "sensible" people telling us we are childish etc It's fun.
I haven't used the words 'immature. or 'childish' and if people want to laugh at him that's fine. What I was talking about was the sheer hatred for a man who took us to the PL which helped the club financially and who simply made a carreer move and nothing more. I'm sure you understand this, right?
This user liked this post: Venkys4eva

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 pm

houseboy wrote:I haven't used the words 'immature. or 'childish' and if people want to laugh at him that's fine. What I was talking about was the sheer hatred for a man who took us to the PL which helped the club financially and who simply made a carreer move and nothing more. I'm sure you understand this, right?
What sticks in the throat, however unreasonable you may think it, it that he always made such a big play of "it's not the money", "when we look at signing a player, if he first asks about the money I'm not interested", all that kind of stuff; and even at the end, he said he had never lied to the club - he took it as a credit to himself that he didn't lie about leaving, he told his assistant to lie on his behalf.

All managers will leave if offered a job they like better. We all know that. But they don't have to do it in such a hypocritical, lying way.

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 pm

There's also the denial of history, with comedy suggestions that getting promoted was nothing to do with him and that where we are now wasn't based on those foundations.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32370 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm

He did get us to the PL but he is very definitely not the reason we are here now.
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Funny how people remember the 10 years ahead from Coyle
But not the
We’re set up for 10 years from Kilby
These 2 users liked this post: BurnleyFC cricketfieldclarets

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:He did get us to the PL but he is very definitely not the reason we are here now.
He's certainly one of the reasons. If we hadn't got promoted under Coyle we wouldn't have been able to sustain the wage bill and signings that Dyche had when he got us promoted.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:03 pm

aggi wrote:He's certainly one of the reasons. If we hadn't got promoted under Coyle we wouldn't have been able to sustain the wage bill and signings that Dyche had when he got us promoted.
That's the point, there was virtually nothing left by the time Dyche came in. We had to sell players and the only transfer fee he was able to pay out was £450,000 for Ashley Barnes. It had gone, no matter who was to blame, all the benefits from the first promotion had gone. There was no wage bill to sustain, players such as Ross Wallace and Dean Marney had to take drops in pay while others opted to walk out and find other clubs.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Am I the only one who thought "shall I read this thread or just move on?" I loved Owen Coyle and then one January out of the blue he divorced me without warning. Was our split a bed of roses? Was our split mutually agreed? No it wasn't, he took everything including the bloody kit man! So I opened this thread and can only add I am now glad we are divorced as I have moved on but I really wish the lying @*&$!@%£ no glory in anything we achieved together! I sang from the JHU and sang at away games too (I was even at the very cold FA Cup game at MK Dons when he flew to see his mum after the game!) UTC.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 pm

An analogy that was used at the time was girlfriend running off with you best mate. That can now be extended to your ex ballooning up to 20 stone while you marry a supermodel.

We’ve ended up better than we could have hoped plus he has fallen further than any of us imagined.

I do wonder if the manner of his departure led to his downfall. He traded on honour and wholesomeness. Then publicly was shown to have been economical with the truth. It is hard for him to then get people to trust him.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Ric_C

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm

This people still hating Coyle thing 10 years on is really weird. He left, it was sad, we(the club not all the fans it seems) moved on and we got even better. Maybe its time to just let go and enjoy where we are now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm

andyh wrote:An analogy that was used at the time was girlfriend running off with you best mate. That can now be extended to your ex ballooning up to 20 stone while you marry a supermodel.

We’ve ended up better than we could have hoped plus he has fallen further than any of us imagined.
Brilliant.

This is what I wrote in an article on the occasion of him returning with Bolton for the League Cup tie.

Someone recently described it to me as like a marriage that ends badly. You are blissfully happy in a marriage but, unknown to you, your partner has embarked on an affair with someone else and suddenly, out of the blue, tell you they are leaving to move in the new person in their life.

You are devastated. From believing life is just about perfect you find yourself at your lowest and having to deal with all a break up entails. It's a nightmare and one many people don't recover from. More often than not, there is no good feeling whatsoever left about the partner you once loved and were so happy with.

So my inability to forgive Owen Coyle has nothing to do with his ability to manage a side, but the way he treated us, the lies he told us and the shocking underhand way he went about getting his move to Bolton.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm

If Coyle didn't get us promoted the money had run out.

Just paying the debts off with it and getting the ground back should be enough for him to be in the claret hall of fame.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:If Coyle didn't get us promoted the money had run out.

Just paying the debts off with it and getting the ground back should be enough for him to be in the claret hall of fame.
People dont realize that. Without that promotion we were facing administration and probably be in league 1 now. Coyle, Dyche and Howe all helped with the journey we are now. Christ I suppose even Laws due to him signing Marney as well
These 3 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo cricketfieldclarets Hibsclaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Every manager we have had bar Waddle and Laws has improved us along the way.

People didn't realise at the time just how good Howe's ability to spot a good young player was. His team have had quite a few premier league appearances between them now.

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:49 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 824257.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18203 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

claretcarrot93 wrote:People dont realize that. Without that promotion we were facing administration and probably be in league 1 now. Coyle, Dyche and Howe all helped with the journey we are now. Christ I suppose even Laws due to him signing Marney as well
I don't think anyone disputes that Coyle took a mid table bunch and somehow via Wembley took us up to the Prem... but come on he was doing pretty well with Burnley and sh@t upon us from a great height by moving to Bolton when he did in the way he did.

Karma is a wonderful thing ... I love the fact Coyles star proceeded to implode as ours Flourished under 2 of the best young English Managers in a long long time in 1st Eddie and then Sean.

Yes he was a god when we were succesful with that Wade Elliot goal at Wembley.... but he proved to be a False God and is now just where he deserves... NO WHERE

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Every manager we have had bar Waddle and Laws has improved us along the way.

People didn't realise at the time just how good Howe's ability to spot a good young player was. His team have had quite a few premier league appearances between them now.

Some people did. Just that some people had some weird agenda against him, with a lot questioned his ability as manager, most notably a poster called markeboy on the old clarets mad. I would love to hear his thoughts on him now....

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's the point, there was virtually nothing left by the time Dyche came in. We had to sell players and the only transfer fee he was able to pay out was £450,000 for Ashley Barnes. It had gone, no matter who was to blame, all the benefits from the first promotion had gone. There was no wage bill to sustain, players such as Ross Wallace and Dean Marney had to take drops in pay while others opted to walk out and find other clubs.
We were having to tighten our belts when Dyche came in but we still had a wage bill 50% higher than when Coyle had come in and we'd moved on to transfers like Danny Ings, a £1m signing of a relatively unproven player who was being developed gradually (not something we could have done before).

The club was in serious trouble before Coyle came in, we wouldn't have been able to sustain it at the level we were at without the promotion. Without Coyle there's a pretty good chance that Dyche, if he came at all, would have been coming in to a League One club.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Hibsclaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Danny Ings was signed by Howe and the fee was £200k only rising to £1m with appearances.
Coyle actually spent more money than Dyche to get us promoted and also spent more money than Dyche in his first season in the Premier League.

We should of course be thankful for having both of them but when it comes to “betting the ranch” we did actually do that with Coyle in our promotion season and without promotion we would have very likely gone into administration. Under Dyche we have never gone anywhere near betting the ranch again....which has probably been a very wise thing to do and whatever happens from here we will always have a legacy from Dyche’s time In charge.

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 pm

TVC15 wrote:Danny Ings was signed by Howe and the fee was £200k only rising to £1m with appearances.
Coyle actually spent more money than Dyche to get us promoted and also spent more money than Dyche in his first season in the Premier League.

We should of course be thankful for having both of them but when it comes to “betting the ranch” we did actually do that with Coyle in our promotion season and without promotion we would have very likely gone into administration. Under Dyche we have never gone anywhere near betting the ranch again....which has probably been a very wise thing to do and whatever happens from here we will always have a legacy from Dyche’s time In charge.
Absolutely. We'd have been ****** had we not got promoted, and the blame would have laid at Coyle's feet, but we got promoted so he deserves the credit for that.

There's no doubt that Howe and Dyche built on what Coyle started, and Coyle definitely deserves some of the credit for where we are today. That doesn't mean he's not a complete piece of **** though.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat cricketfieldclarets Hibsclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:15 pm

I always think we would have mirrored PNE in that had we missed out on promotion we may have dropped a division, with many clubs having done so recently.

But once the ship had stabilised we would in all likelihood got promoted back to the Championship again.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:11 pm

TVC15 wrote:Danny Ings was signed by Howe and the fee was £200k only rising to £1m with appearances.

I can't think of all Coyles signings but not long back I seen a document online that had Chris Eagles transfer fee at 400k when it was widely reported he cost us 1.5m.
Fans are always guessing especially as sky love adding Vat to add wow factor.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I can't think of all Coyles signings but not long back I seen a document online that had Chris Eagles transfer fee at 400k when it was widely reported he cost us 1.5m.
Fans are always guessing especially as sky love adding Vat to add wow factor.
I don’t know how much Eagles cost but I doubt it was £400k.
He did buy Diego Penny for £400k though which is pretty much as much as Dyche spent in total !!
Pato cost a million, Akinbyi £700k, Eckersley £500k, Edgar £500k, Fletcher £3m, Easton £300k, Kev McDonald £500k, Fox £1.5m, Bikey £3m etc

Promotion season for Dyche mostly free transfers and £350k on Barnes. First year in premier league, Keane £3m and Sordell / Juke for total of about £2m.

The other big difference is the increase in value of their respective buys. Under Coyle what we made on Fletcher we lost on Bikey, Easton and Eckersley. Made a bit on Eagles and Mears but again cancelled out by Fox etc.

The value of players under Dyche has increased massively. Their 2 records are not comparable but as said we should be thankful for both as we may have never got Dyche without Coyles promotion

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 pm

It was on an official document regarding us being under the transfer embargo. I was a little surprised.

Danny Fox was a Laws signing

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Yep he was sorry - remember him scoring v West Ham on his debut !

Suppose the biggest thing is that both of them had very little to spend compared to other clubs