Demetri Michel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Demetri Michel

Post by davemanu2000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am

Demetri Michel ,A youngster on loan to Hearts ,has shown promise .Burnley are negotiating for a transfer.other PL clubs are also interested.

GandalfsBeard
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Re: Demetri Michel

Post by GandalfsBeard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Yeah, go for it. We have a fantastic track record with ex-utd players and even if they don't make the grade at Old Trafford, there's a reason they were scouted by them in the first place. They usually have good technical skills and their Utd academy grounding instills the mental strength of an ox in them.

Just look at Heaton, Keane, Brady, Bards, and our latest beautiful boy, McNeill. Then look at Utd castoffs at other clubs, like Danny Drinkwater when he still wanted to play football at Leicester rather than keep Chelsea's bench warm, Josh King smashing it at Bournemouth, Ryan Shawcross breaking legs but being a great CB for ages at Stoke.

If we can get Demetri in, get some great performances out of him while we improve him, then sell him for 3x or 4x in a few seasons, then it's worth a go.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Good list there, but you have conveniently left our Eckersley, Edgar, Roche, Wood and Chadwick... :D

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 pm

jedi_master wrote:Good list there, but you have conveniently left our Eckersley, Edgar, Roche, Wood and Chadwick... :D
Edgar come from newcastle ?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm

jedi_master wrote:Good list there, but you have conveniently left our Eckersley, Edgar, Roche, Wood and Chadwick... :D
I'd remove Edgar from that list :D although he'd probably fit in ability wise with the rest. Wood - I'd just about erased him from my memory.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18262 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Doesn't Chris Eagles come into that list too?
Last edited by Bosscat on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm

[quote="ClaretTony"]I'd remove Edgar from that list :D although he'd probably fit in ability wise with the rest. Wood - I'd just about erased him from my memory.

God Wood was gash and remember being excited by the thought of him playing for us.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm

God knows why I had Edgar in my head!

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Bosscat wrote:Doesn't Chris Eagles come into that list too?
I liked Eagles, he had some critics but was a good player for us overall. Very odd how his career went after Burnley.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 pm

David Jones was at Untd with Tom Heaton.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by trawdenclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Steve Gardner legend.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18262 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 pm

jedi_master wrote:I liked Eagles, he had some critics but was a good player for us overall. Very odd how his career went after Burnley.
People go on about Tarka's Merc G-Wagon.... they forget Chris rolling up in that Italian Tractor ;) his Lamborghini :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 pm

GandalfsBeard wrote:Yeah, go for it. We have a fantastic track record with ex-utd players and even if they don't make the grade at Old Trafford, there's a reason they were scouted by them in the first place. They usually have good technical skills and their Utd academy grounding instills the mental strength of an ox in them.

Just look at Heaton, Keane, Brady, Bards, and our latest beautiful boy, McNeill. Then look at Utd castoffs at other clubs, like Danny Drinkwater when he still wanted to play football at Leicester rather than keep Chelsea's bench warm, Josh King smashing it at Bournemouth, Ryan Shawcross breaking legs but being a great CB for ages at Stoke.

If we can get Demetri in, get some great performances out of him while we improve him, then sell him for 3x or 4x in a few seasons, then it's worth a go.
Great post apart from the last bit. Why are people ready to sell players before we even get them? Why do we not get players WHO WILL PLAY FOR THE CLUB FOR YEARS rather than look at what their sell-on value is going to be? It's the money obsession again. People know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Sorry Gandalf, not having a go at you, it's just all this looking at the money side rather than if they can be a good servant to the club does my head in. Does anybody look at players now and think 'he could be a great player for us for years to come'?

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Wood - I'd just about erased him from my memory.
its WOODS!!!!

:D

GandalfsBeard
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by GandalfsBeard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:09 pm

houseboy wrote:Great post apart from the last bit. Why are people ready to sell players before we even get them? Why do we not get players WHO WILL PLAY FOR THE CLUB FOR YEARS rather than look at what their sell-on value is going to be? It's the money obsession again. People know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Sorry Gandalf, not having a go at you, it's just all this looking at the money side rather than if they can be a good servant to the club does my head in. Does anybody look at players now and think 'he could be a great player for us for years to come'?
Yeah I get where you're coming from. It's not so much that I want the money, because us lot never see any of that, do we? I wish we did...

It's more pessimism on my part, I guess. After seeing so many players leave us over the years once they hit a certain ability and fame level and a bigger club comes swooping, I expect us to lose our stars eventually. There were some players that you just knew we weren't going to hold on to, like Trips, Ings, Michael Keane. We knew they weren't gonna stay here for the best years of their careers. Even going further back to people like Chaplow (lol), Jay Rod, Charlie Austin. And then you can go back further still...

We've climbed up on the pecking order now so that there are less teams that might turn our players heads, but all climbing up the order does is bring new, bigger predators to feed off us.

So yeah completely agree with you on the money side, and maybe I should try not to be so pessimistic about it. I wish we could look at a player and say "he's 22, we're gonna get 10 years of play out of him", but it's just the way it is now, I guess.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:12 pm

claretblue wrote:its WOODS!!!!

:D
It's WOOD

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:22 pm

GandalfsBeard wrote:Yeah I get where you're coming from. It's not so much that I want the money, because us lot never see any of that, do we? I wish we did...

It's more pessimism on my part, I guess. After seeing so many players leave us over the years once they hit a certain ability and fame level and a bigger club comes swooping, I expect us to lose our stars eventually. There were some players that you just knew we weren't going to hold on to, like Trips, Ings, Michael Keane. We knew they weren't gonna stay here for the best years of their careers. Even going further back to people like Chaplow (lol), Jay Rod, Charlie Austin. And then you can go back further still...

We've climbed up on the pecking order now so that there are less teams that might turn our players heads, but all climbing up the order does is bring new, bigger predators to feed off us.

So yeah completely agree with you on the money side, and maybe I should try not to be so pessimistic about it. I wish we could look at a player and say "he's 22, we're gonna get 10 years of play out of him", but it's just the way it is now, I guess.
I understand mate and the pessimism is totally justified really. I lost count of the number of times I joined the call for Bob Lords head when we were selling the likes of Dobson, Thomas, James etc. so I see where you are coming from. I suppose what I would like to see is football becoming a sport again rather than a bloody business. Time was when about 90% or more of clubs ran at a loss and players actually EARNED a testimonial. Never mind, things change all the time and we all have to move on.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

From what I remember of his performances I’d say it was Woodn’t
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Surely not as bad as Eckersley. His 45 mins at Barnsley was the worst performance I’ve ever seen from a Burnley player at any level (with the possible exception of Nick Pickering’s brief cameo)!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 pm

scouseclaret wrote:Surely not as bad as Eckersley. His 45 mins at Barnsley was the worst performance I’ve ever seen from a Burnley player at any level (with the possible exception of Nick Pickering’s brief cameo)!
But Eckersley did OK in a couple of other games - Wood was dreadful and made me look quick.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Hearts fans were positive about him but apparently he’s not been great recently. Question marks over his defending. Think he’s pretty rapid and may well provide a good attacking threat.

Not sure he’d be the type of player Dyche would go for.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Neil Wood wins the all time "played for both".
Burnley, Antwerp and.......Sarajevo