ARTICLE: Guðmundsson remains doubtful for Watford

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: Guðmundsson remains doubtful for Watford

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Early team news for Watford

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/gudmundsson ... or-watford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: ARTICLE: Guðmundsson remains doubtful for Watford

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:17 pm

So JBG is out . Same team as last Saturday then.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Hendrick played very well.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:15 pm

> Asked about potential transfers with the transfer window over half way through, Dyche said there was nothing close.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:19 pm

To be fair, Hendrick must be pushing to keep his place, even had JBG made it, with his last performance.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 pm

For a game away somewhere like Watford, who are a power-based team, I definitely wouldn't have been leaving Hendrick out regardless. Vital we have that extra man comfortable tucking in to give us a bit more control and physical presence in midfield.

If JBG is fit, I'd have had the final spot in midfield between JBG and McNeil, who has done excellently recently but needs to be managed given how new he is to first team football - firstly, he tired obviously in the final quarter last week, and secondly he'll have to do a lot more defending this weekend than in the 3 home games he's played or the away game at Huddersfield, which might be an ask.

But that would have been a tough call given how well he's done going forwards, so JBG might have found himself on the bench regardless. It'd be ideal if he were at least fit enough to give us an alternative option in the final half hour though - again bearing in mind how McNeil tired.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Sproggy wrote:> Asked about potential transfers with the transfer window over half way through, Dyche said there was nothing close.
95% of Burnley fans won't be surprised.

We might get active in the last week, but 4 straight wins will have altered the mind sets of the people in charge of the cash I think.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

MACCA wrote:95% of Burnley fans won't be surprised.

We might get active in the last week, but 4 straight wins will have altered the mind sets of the people in charge of the cash I think.
Could be that or there are no realistic available targets who would improve the first team? Or should we just go out and spend whatever on whoever to keep UTC posters relatively happy or find something else to complain about?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:49 pm

NL Claret wrote:Could be that or there are no realistic available targets who would improve the first team? Or should we just go out and spend whatever on whoever to keep UTC posters relatively happy or find something else to complain about?
It could be a case of unrealistic targets, and/or fees, but like I said, the 4 straight wins will have eased the pressure and no doubt changed the mindset of the powers that be.

I don't think anyone can hand on heart say that if we had failed to win any of the last 4, we may have seen a little more urgency and purse string loosening.

I certainly don't want us to go out and waste money trying to force the issue, that is healthy for our club.

P.s I think we will bring in at least 1 or 2 this window.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 pm

I think we will definitely see Ward on the bench so as to give the option of pushing Taylor forward as cover for McNiell. Personally, I think McNiell is one of those players who always look knackered after a quarter of an hour. Played with and watched quite a few of them over the years - I think I am rather like that too, even though I'm only 'walking around' when I play nowadays.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 pm

MACCA wrote:95% of Burnley fans won't be surprised.

I don't suppose Garlick and Dyche are perfect, but what you're suggesting is that they're more fickle than the majority of supporters, who continue to think we should strengthen despite the 4 straight wins.

My guess is that that is underestimating both Garlick and Dyche.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:44 pm

claretspice wrote:I don't suppose Garlick and Dyche are perfect, but what you're suggesting is that they're more fickle than the majority of supporters, who continue to think we should strengthen despite the 4 straight wins.

My guess is that that is underestimating both Garlick and Dyche.
So you don't think the mind set has changed after 4 straight wins?

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm

>Could be that or there are no realistic available targets who would improve the first team? Or should we just go out and spend whatever on whoever to keep UTC posters relatively happy or find something else to complain about?

If there are no realistic targets in world football for a club that's making 50 million quid a year profit, then we may as well all give up.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2249 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 pm

MACCA wrote:It could be a case of unrealistic targets, and/or fees, but like I said, the 4 straight wins will have eased the pressure and no doubt changed the mindset of the powers that be.

I don't think anyone can hand on heart say that if we had failed to win any of the last 4, we may have seen a little more urgency and purse string loosening.

I certainly don't want us to go out and waste money trying to force the issue, that is healthy for our club.

P.s I think we will bring in at least 1 or 2 this window.
Do you not think the 4 straight wins would also help convince potential targets to join us ?

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm

MACCA wrote:So you don't think the mind set has changed after 4 straight wins?
I bloody hope not, West Ham apart the wins were hardly impressive. If the mindset has changed due to the recent results. we most definitely have the wrong people running our club. We are not safe not even nearly safe and there are serious weaknesses in the squad. We need to strengthen

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Sproggy wrote:>Could be that or there are no realistic available targets who would improve the first team? Or should we just go out and spend whatever on whoever to keep UTC posters relatively happy or find something else to complain about?

If there are no realistic targets in world football for a club that's making 50 million quid a year profit, then we may as well all give up.
50 million quid a year profit? Really?

You would give up going / posting if the club didn't sign anyone in this window? Really?

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

mkmel wrote:Do you not think the 4 straight wins would also help convince potential targets to join us ?
Personally no, Burnley are still not an attractive proposition with or without 9 extra points and an FA Cup win against Barnsley. We could be on 30 points and still wouldn't be that attractive to potential targets such is the market.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Maybe it's just me but I struggle to understand how a number of people have downplayed three straight PL wins. For any team outside the top 5/6, regardless of the opposition that's a fantastic achievement at this level.

The timing is crucial and I'm sure will have an impact on any players who may be under consideration. It shows forward momentum, good structure and organisation and a will and desire to maintain our status at this level. It gives us an edge over 3/4 teams who are natural competitors for the the type/profile of player we are likely to be in the market for.

For all SD's talk of fine margins that's just about a perfect example of what it means.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 pm

MACCA wrote:So you don't think the mind set has changed after 4 straight wins?
Doubt it. Strengths and weaknesses of the squad haven't changed, and we were never likely to be in the market for short term fixes.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 pm

claretspice wrote:Doubt it. Strengths and weaknesses of the squad haven't changed, and we were never likely to be in the market for short term fixes.
By short term fixes do you mean loans? If we hadn't picked up those points to give us at least 'some breathing space' then I think they may well have been more likely to be on the agenda.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:25 am

claretspice wrote:Doubt it. Strengths and weaknesses of the squad haven't changed, and we were never likely to be in the market for short term fixes.
I disagree, I think the mindset will be considerably different after 4 straight wins and 3 points clear of the drop zone, than it would have been if we were 6 points off 17th.
I'd guess the quantity and speed of our business will have been different.

Just my opinion, if you disagree then fair enough.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 am

Couldn't you just leave the opposition off the thread title and leave it as a sticky at the top of the board?

Gudmundsson remains doubtful

And then we can just insert the next opposition that he isn't going to play against.
This user liked this post: SpringHillClaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Couldn't you just leave the opposition off the thread title and leave it as a sticky at the top of the board?

Gudmundsson remains doubtful

And then we can just insert the next opposition that he isn't going to play against.
Again, it's a myth that he's missed many matches.

Five this, three last season.