The Bob Lord Stand

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Re: The Bob Lord Stand

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:28 am

joey13 wrote:Anyone remember BLOB ?
Bob Lord out Brigade. Went on the Sunday demo.
This user liked this post: joey13

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:44 am

ClaretTony wrote:They did take his picture down in the reception area though.
bet no one dared do that while the butcher was alive! :D

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Apologies. Did not see that. I agree with you then! :D
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm

He was known as Gob Lord in our household.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:25 pm

It's ironic, but one of the things he's always been most famous for was his vociferous stance against the televising of matches. His logic seemed sound at the time and he basically said that if matches are filmed and are shown on TV nobody will ever bother paying to turn up at grounds and watch. This made him even more unpopular, but I remember my dad wholeheartedly agreeing with that summary back at the time. In truth it's turned out to be spectacularly wrong as TV has pumped untold gazillions into the game, films every match and yet grounds continue to be extremely full. Whether this will always be the case remains to be seen and the ever present danger that footy has become so hopelessly over reliant on TV revenue meaning that it would implode without it suggests one day BL could be proved right and football really will have sold its soul to the devil.

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:45 pm

IMO I think football has sold its soul. If not to the devil then certainly to Sky and Rupert Murdoch. I suppose the difference between Sky’s interest in televising football as opposed to in Bob Lords era, and Sky’s success, is selling this not just to UK watchers but around the globe. I think all we as fans do is add colour. I enjoy our success but games being changed from Saturday at 3 to Sunday’s at 1.30 etc frustrate me.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Cabbage wrote:IMO I think football has sold its soul. If not to the devil then certainly to Sky and Rupert Murdoch. I suppose the difference between Sky’s interest in televising football as opposed to in Bob Lords era, and Sky’s success, is selling this not just to UK watchers but around the globe. I think all we as fans do is add colour. I enjoy our success but games being changed from Saturday at 3 to Sunday’s at 1.30 etc frustrate me.
I agree and I think the really big difference between what was being offered in Bob Lord's day compared to now is the staggering amounts of money the TV companies are willing to pay. Back then it was only small beer (as they say) and if fans didn't turn up to pay their entrance money because games were going to be televised then clubs really would have been in the doggy poo. In that respect BL was right to be very, very wary, but what he could never have envisaged was the staggering sums that would eventually be paid to show games AND that bizarrely hundreds of thousands of fans (like me!!! :roll: ) would still turn up at grounds and pay their money on freezing cold, wet days and nights to actually watch their team in person when it would be so easy to just wait for the action on TV. That simply defies his (ostensibly sensible) logic!

Longsidebovril
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 258 times

Post by Longsidebovril » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:34 pm

There was an Elton John stand there today

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:10 pm

I was in the Elton John Suite.

Re the Bob Lord, knock it down and build something better, you can call it what you want.