Chris Wood and The Offside Rule

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Il Duce
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Re: Chris Wood and The Offside Rule

Post by Il Duce » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:25 am

claretblue wrote:I’ve seen Arsenal score with an arm! :?

:(
I’d just about got over that!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:38 am

dsr wrote:I reckon if VAR hadn't been thought of, the linesman wouldn't have had a problem - he would have got it right. But VAR isn't just an extra way of deciding the decision, it's a whole new rule.

Until 1990, Wood would have been offside, because he was level with the second-last defender. From 1990 until just about now, he would have been onside, because he was level with the second-last defender. What VAR has done, in the minds of referees (who appear, like sheep, to be following the party line of someone who isn't actually suited to tell them what's what) is abolish the concept of "level". In the old days, if two players were standing 15 yards and one foot from goal, they were level. Now they aren't, because you have to assess whether one man's shoulder was actually 15 yards 1 foot and an inch away, or the other man's foot was 15 yards 0 feet and 11 inches away.

When the "level is onside" concept was brought in, it was the deliberate intention of the lawmakers to give the attacker and extra couple of feet or so to be onside. The new VAR lawmakers, without consultation and (so far as I can see) without even bothering to think about it, have cut that back down to an inch or so.
Isn't that why a batsman can actually be given not out in cricket even though the replay can show the ball would have hit the outside of a stump?

A margin of error?
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am

Raggus wrote:Easy to blame the striker tho isn't it, not that the pass should of been made earlier? The ones where he is 'ambling' back onside is usually after chasing down a punt up field, to then have another punt upfield, if you think he can sprint onside, then chase the punt and repeat for 90mins then that is stupid. Sorry.
It is very easy to blame the striker (naturally we look for a fall-guy). And there are times when a delayed pass causes the offside. It happened yesterday. But not 6 times.
As for being offside because you are too tired to get back onside after chasing a long punt???? I don’t buy this argument in the slightest. There will be the odd occasion when you have a large-ish distance to make up to get back onside following a clearance or break down in phase-play. But think about when this happens. If the distance is big, then either it’s because the keeper is clearing (and hence the chance of the call coming back quickly is low), or it’s because the other defenders have got out quickly and you havent followed (and this won’t be following a big punt chase).
Of course you can’t chase around like a headless chicken all game. But the Burnley players are expected to do close to that. Boyd tried to. Hendrick tried to. Barnes too. Wood doesn’t work anywhere near as hard as the others.
Watch any good striker, and they get back onside when a second phase is a possibility. Getting back onside is just as important as chasing a through ball, and you usually don’t have to go that far, because the second phase usually happens when the clearance is short. Even in these circumstances, Wood doesn’t get back onside often enough.
Look at the ruled out goal yesterday. Wood never looked at the LB position. He could only see the CBs. Any decent LB would have pushed out and Wood would have easily been offside. Unless he’s psychic, he had to assume the CBs were the last line. But he made no attempt to bend a run 5 yards to get level with them first. He didn’t even bother checking behind him to look at the LB position.

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:16 am

ClaretShaun wrote:Chris Wood is a 1 goal in every 2 starts PL striker.

Vokes and Barnes pretty much the same too.

We’re lucky to have 3 “one in two” strikers who fit into our wage structures.

That’s in not the most of attacking of sides too Ansbro ole that starved of penalties.
Spot on. Anywhere near 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 is a good striker's return at our level. Shearer when he was flying in his prem years scored 148 in 303. Jermain Defoe in both his Spurs stints was about 40/50 goals in 140 games. Wood, Vokes and Barnes offer a lot more than Defoe. I can take Wood's frailties along with his many strengths. Provided he is giving his all and showing commitment to the cause.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:37 am

It didn't look offside at all.

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Two points of Burnley robbed .He was never offside .
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Offside rule obviously doesn’t apply to City

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:45 pm

joey13 wrote:Offside rule obviously doesn’t apply to City
It wasn't even close either. The mind boggles!

groove
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 545 times

Post by groove » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Has anyone considered that this is part of the game plan? We had all this with Andre Gray and I remember SD saying he likes forwards to play just off the shoulder as it creates doubt in defenders minds. I think Wood is under instruction to play a high line and is therefore bound to be caught offside more often.
These 3 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 BFCmaj ClaretTony

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Under VAR, perhaps it should be a space between the attacker and defender. The lino can make their best judgement and can only be overruled by VAR if above applicable. None of this for business.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:36 pm

groove wrote:Has anyone considered that this is part of the game plan? We had all this with Andre Gray and I remember SD saying he likes forwards to play just off the shoulder as it creates doubt in defenders minds. I think Wood is under instruction to play a high line and is therefore bound to be caught offside more often.
The idea of such a game plan may not be wrong but Wood was well in front of the nearest defenders around him - I don't think he even knew where the left back (playing him on) was

The goal should have stood but we have nobody with the pace required to play off the shoulder of any defenders

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:46 pm

jojomk1 wrote:The idea of such a game plan may not be wrong but Wood was well in front of the nearest defenders around him - I don't think he even knew where the left back (playing him on) was

The goal should have stood but we have nobody with the pace required to play off the shoulder of any defenders
If you watch the replay, Wood had made the run hoping that Mc’Neill would play a slide ball through to him. The pass didn’t come so Wood’s momentum almost carried into almost an offside position. He then showed good reactions to follow in the shot, similar to how he did against West Ham last season.

Wood’s run was naturally going to take him beyond the centre back as he was expecting the pass to come. When it didn’t come it was physically impossible for Wood to change direction and get himself back level with the centre back. He had no reason to know where the left back (who was behind him) was as he was making his run to beat the centre backs who were in his eyeline.

I think we all agree that Wood is caught offside too much but those blaming him for the assistant’s error and claiming that he didn’t know he was onside are clutching at slippery straws.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:58 pm

groove wrote:Has anyone considered that this is part of the game plan? We had all this with Andre Gray and I remember SD saying he likes forwards to play just off the shoulder as it creates doubt in defenders minds. I think Wood is under instruction to play a high line and is therefore bound to be caught offside more often.
I wish you could explain this simple and obvious fact to the people who sit around (but especially behind ) me. They seem to have no concept of trying something repeatedly until it works as the opposition tires. Every other team in football does this to some extent but apparently Burnley have to get everything right all the time.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:his arm was offside, given they give offside for level nowadays he was offside
Arm doesn't count because, it is only the parts of the body with which you are able to play the ball. He's onside.
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Yes, I think Sean Dyche has considered it.
This user liked this post: groove

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 pm

For all the criticism Wood gets hopefully everyone should have noticed that when a ball is played down the line he generally gets to the ball first, instead of the defender. He's nowhere near as slow as people think he is.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 pm

I've said it on here many times before, Wood is our best striker.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 pm

joey13 wrote:Offside rule obviously doesn’t apply to City
City goal wasn't offside. He would have been under the new rules of VAR where "level" has been abolished because they think (wrongly) that technology can prove it to the inch. But in real life football, ever since the offside rule began, that was level.

You can't use VAR rules in football matches where VAR isn't in use. To use VAR rules, you're expecting the lineman to make a judgement between one man's shoulder and another man's foot when they are standing ten yards apart, but one is an inch nearer the goalline. It it literally impossible. (As it is for TV cameras, incidentally.)

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:43 pm

Claretforever wrote:Image
:lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Arm doesn't count because, it is only the parts of the body with which you are able to play the ball. He's onside.
I know, I was being sarcastic as I immediately pointed out in my next post and also to other 5 people that have said the same as you :D

Still a bonkers offside decision though

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Don't forget he used to play for one of the biggest teams in the country so he would usually been given onside, now he has to understand what it's like to play for "little Burnley" where if there's any doubt you are offside.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Just seen on Twitter he’s been offside more than any other player this season.
13 clear of second place.

Or I should say given offside more than anyone else based on the above picture.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 pm

That's a shocking stat. Hope to see more of Vydra and/or A N Other next season.