Plane missing in the Channel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Plane missing in the Channel

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Test User wrote:Is that unusual?
There was an aviator on the radio earlier saying that a single-engine plane choosing to go the long way over the Channel (115 miles instead of 20 at Dover-Calais) and go at (reportedly) 2,500 feet so reducing any chance of a glide seemed an odd choice to him. He thought the height might have been to avoid icing.

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Surely the idea of flying twice as far to have a shorter sea crossing, is an idea that went out of fashion shortly after "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" era. It's not as if crashing over land in the dark is much safer than crashing in the sea in the dark. The standard route, allowing for flight traffic rules, would surely be a straight line?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Just being reported that the search has ended for the day and they will resume tomorrow.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 pm

dsr wrote:Surely the idea of flying twice as far to have a shorter sea crossing, is an idea that went out of fashion shortly after "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" era. It's not as if crashing over land in the dark is much safer than crashing in the sea in the dark. The standard route, allowing for flight traffic rules, would surely be a straight line?
I'm no expert. He seemed to think that a single-engine plane over water wasn't a great idea and while crashing land or sea isn't any better, I understood him to be saying (rather obviously) that you would want to be over something solid you could glide down on to if there were a failure.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3595 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Just being reported that the search has ended for the day and they will resume tomorrow.
I think with that, any optimism goes, sadly.

What a tragedy.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 pm

thatdberight wrote:There was an aviator on the radio earlier saying that a single-engine plane choosing to go the long way over the Channel (115 miles instead of 20 at Dover-Calais) and go at (reportedly) 2,500 feet so reducing any chance of a glide seemed an odd choice to him. He thought the height might have been to avoid icing.
The pilot had radioed in to ask for permission to land at Guernsey.

Flying an extra 250 - 300 miles so as to use the short sea route hardly makes sense. If they were flying from Bordeaux or Spain then would that aviator still have expected them to fly up to the Straits of Dover?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:34 pm

bfcmik wrote:The pilot had radioed in to ask for permission to land at Guernsey.

Flying an extra 250 - 300 miles so as to use the short sea route hardly makes sense. If they were flying from Bordeaux or Spain then would that aviator still have expected them to fly up to the Straits of Dover?
I wish I hadn't bothered reporting what the pilot on the radio said; I had no idea this forum also doubled as the main meeting place for rest-day BALPA members.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 pm

thatdberight wrote:I wish I hadn't bothered reporting what the pilot on the radio said; I had no idea this forum also doubled as the main meeting place for rest-day BALPA members.
It's fairly normal, when you enter a conversation, to expect other people to respond to what you say. What were this radio pilot's qualifications? Are you sure he wasn't just shooting a line? I don't think anyone would double the length of a flight because it would make a crash landing safer; if the chances of a crash landing were statistically significant enough for that, then the plane wouldn't be allowed to take off. One hopes.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Absolutely awful news, was only the other day reading in the paper his Cardiff move was fulfilling his dream of playing in the premier league and then this.... sad sad stuff!
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Is it possible that the observation was that (rather than fly over Calais), it might be surprising that the pilot did not travel around 20 miles to the East of his apparent route, which would have had the plane travel over the Cherbourg peninsula (right up to about the point where it appears to have come down), and so halved the time over the water?

Anyway, its probably neither here nor there. Terrible tragedy.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2104 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I love this forum.

A pilot and a promising young life has (as far as we can assume) been lost .... and folk on here are pettily picking out holes in their flight paths.
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly boatshed bill

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Searched over 1 thousand square miles and found nothing, search due to be resumed tomorrow.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:05 pm

dsr wrote:It's fairly normal, when you enter a conversation, to expect other people to respond to what you say. What were this radio pilot's qualifications? Are you sure he wasn't just shooting a line? I don't think anyone would double the length of a flight because it would make a crash landing safer; if the chances of a crash landing were statistically significant enough for that, then the plane wouldn't be allowed to take off. One hopes.
:roll:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Test User wrote:Ugh! I've just had a morbid moment. I was looking on flight radar for similar flights to see if flying at that altitude is normal when i noticed a weird flight path north of Guernsey. Then realised it's a search and rescue plane.
aye very grim news

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Just heard that debris has been spotted but impossible at the moment to say if it was the plane.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 pm

I ran a corporate flight department that ran flights across Lake Michigan in a variety of aircraft types. No way were we sending a single engined plane over the lake at night, into known icing. And that would be with the janitor on board, never mind a high value executive. It might be legal to do it, but whether it's sensible is different matter. There are now reports that this was a PISTON Malibu being operated VFR. Everyone's risk tolerance is different. By my personal standards this was a very risky flight. Get a good night's sleep in France and do the flight in the morning.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6849 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm

I wonder if the fee has been paid,contract signed and he was a Cardiff player.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:16 pm

bfcjg wrote:I wonder if the fee has been paid,contract signed and he was a Cardiff player.
All that was signed saturday he was saying his goodbyes to his friends and teamates .

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:I ran a corporate flight department that ran flights across Lake Michigan in a variety of aircraft types. No way were we sending a single engined plane over the lake at night, into known icing. And that would be with the janitor on board, never mind a high value executive. It might be legal to do it, but whether it's sensible is different matter. There are now reports that this was a PISTON Malibu being operated VFR. Everyone's risk tolerance is different. By my personal standards this was a very risky flight. Get a good night's sleep in France and do the flight in the morning.
Good to read that a janitor would be more expendable ;)

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm

DCWat wrote:Good to read that a janitor would be more expendable ;)
Capitalism, baby!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6849 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:All that was signed saturday he was saying his goodbyes to his friends and teamates .
That could really scupper Cardiff's survival bid.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:All that was signed saturday he was saying his goodbyes to his friends and teamates .
Unfortunately and sadly, that is a very ominous statement.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm

bfcjg wrote:That could really scupper Cardiff's survival bid.
Im sure its the least of all involved concern really.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Nonayforever wrote:Unfortunately and sadly, that is a very ominous statement.
I didnt mean it to come across that way but thats the reason why he wasnt here earlier . Its horrible what has happend

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:I ran a corporate flight department that ran flights across Lake Michigan in a variety of aircraft types. No way were we sending a single engined plane over the lake at night, into known icing. And that would be with the janitor on board, never mind a high value executive. It might be legal to do it, but whether it's sensible is different matter. There are now reports that this was a PISTON Malibu being operated VFR. Everyone's risk tolerance is different. By my personal standards this was a very risky flight. Get a good night's sleep in France and do the flight in the morning.
Personally, I wouldnt ever fly in one of these (or a helicopter) but especially in poor conditions.

For the sake of saving a few hours or to save flying on a flight with the general public just seems it isnt worth it. Their safety records and capability seem way less than 'normal' planes.

Are they subject to the same checks or even rules as commercial airlines? I am pretty sure helicopters arent.

Its also come out now that he said to team mates that he didnt feel safe going back on the plane after a tense flight out to nantes.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:25 pm

We should definitely be speculating wildly on an Internet forum about this.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Lord Beamish

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3337 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:We should definitely be speculating wildly on an Internet forum about this.
Isn't that essentially what internet forums are for? ;)

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:We should definitely be speculating wildly on an Internet forum about this.
you'd better not take a look on the aviation/pilot forums then

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:you'd better not take a look on the aviation/pilot forums then
Link?

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 pm

thatdberight wrote:I'm no expert. He seemed to think that a single-engine plane over water wasn't a great idea and while crashing land or sea isn't any better, I understood him to be saying (rather obviously) that you would want to be over something solid you could glide down on to if there were a failure.
In this day and age aircraft are, almost always, rather more than reliable enough to fly over the channel. IIRC, Sala was in a Piper Malibu which has a gas turbine fitted with a prop, and as such is deemed safe enough to transit shortish passages over water. It would appear he and the pilot were simply unlucky in having a failure out of range of land. It has been reported that the a/c had descended to 2300’, possibly to avoid thick cloud and icing, and this has severely compromised the gliding range. Unfortunately, with general aviation, circumstances can conspire against you and this, it would appear, is one of those occasions. I was always told, take the number of engines, divide by 2 and if you end up with a fraction don’t get on it. I haven’t been in a single engined bug smasher for over 20 years and probably never will again.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:04 pm

BennyD wrote:In this day and age aircraft are, almost always, rather more than reliable enough to fly over the channel. IIRC, Sala was in a Piper Malibu which has a gas turbine fitted with a prop, and as such is deemed safe enough to transit shortish passages over water. It would appear he and the pilot were simply unlucky in having a failure out of range of land. It has been reported that the a/c had descended to 2300’, possibly to avoid thick cloud and icing, and this has severely compromised the gliding range. Unfortunately, with general aviation, circumstances conspire against you and this, it would appear, is one of those occasions. I was always told, take the number of engines, divide by 2 and if you end up with a fraction don’t get on it. I haven’t been in a single engined bug smasher for over 20 years and probably never will again.

According to this the pilot was at 5,000 ft and requested 2,300 ft and then contact was lost.

Source: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=220997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Source of source: https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:14 pm

This is certainly tragic, and yet statistically he could have met a similar fate driving from Cardiff Airport to the ground, such is the fragility of life. Enjoy what you have, while you have it, none of us ever know what is going to happen tomorrow.
These 5 users liked this post: CombatClaret cricketfieldclarets Rick_Muller Goodclaret Quicknick

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:This is certainly tragic, and yet statistically he could have met a similar fate driving from Cardiff Airport to the ground, such is the fragility of life. Enjoy what you have, while you have it, none of us ever know what is going to happen tomorrow.
Very True.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Personally, I wouldnt ever fly in one of these (or a helicopter) but especially in poor conditions.

For the sake of saving a few hours or to save flying on a flight with the general public just seems it isnt worth it. Their safety records and capability seem way less than 'normal' planes.

Are they subject to the same checks or even rules as commercial airlines? I am pretty sure helicopters arent.
I can't find the supporting evidence sadly but I remember reading helicopters are the only mode of transport which have saved more lives than they have killed. Air Ambulance, Military Evac etc.

The increased risk comes often with the role they play not necessarily the vehicle itself. A "normal" plane such as a 747 can't support a remote oil rig or provide Grand Canyon tours for example, both of which have seen fatal accidents.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:37 pm

CombatClaret wrote:I can't find the supporting evidence sadly but I remember reading helicopters are the only mode of transport which have saved more lives than they have killed. Air Ambulance, Military Evac etc.

The increased risk comes often with the role they play not necessarily the vehicle itself. A "normal" plane such as a 747 can't support a remote oil rig or provide Grand Canyon tours for example, both of which have seen fatal accidents.
Fair enough point. Still wouldnt get me on one conscious :D

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 pm

I just hope it was quick! Being plummeted into the icy depths doesn't bear thinking about.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:03 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Fair enough point. Still wouldnt get me on one conscious :D
OK B A

Oshkoshclaret

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:13 pm

BennyD wrote:In this day and age aircraft are, almost always, rather more than reliable enough to fly over the channel. IIRC, Sala was in a Piper Malibu which has a gas turbine fitted with a prop, and as such is deemed safe enough to transit shortish passages over water. It would appear he and the pilot were simply unlucky in having a failure out of range of land. It has been reported that the a/c had descended to 2300’, possibly to avoid thick cloud and icing, and this has severely compromised the gliding range. Unfortunately, with general aviation, circumstances can conspire against you and this, it would appear, is one of those occasions. I was always told, take the number of engines, divide by 2 and if you end up with a fraction don’t get on it. I haven’t been in a single engined bug smasher for over 20 years and probably never will again.
It seems pretty clear that the accident plane was N264DB, which does not have a gas turbine engine.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 pm

BigChaCha wrote:I just hope it was quick! Being plummeted into the icy depths doesn't bear thinking about.
Probably (hopefully) quick. Having been at the end result of a plane crash on land, they don’t usually end up in good news.

Test User

Post by Test User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Unless there was structural damage the pilot would have ditched so i doubt it'd have been quick.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm

CombatClaret wrote:I can't find the supporting evidence sadly but I remember reading helicopters are the only mode of transport which have saved more lives than they have killed. Air Ambulance, Military Evac etc.

I used to work for a company that kept track of air accidents..........you couldn't pay me to get on a helicopter

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 am

Let's all remain hopeful.

Oshkoshclaret

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 am

Test User wrote:Unless there was structural damage the pilot would have ditched so i doubt it'd have been quick.
If this was an engine failure/ditching the pilot had plenty of opportunity to make a Mayday call. It's more likely that he lost control in icing conditions.
This user liked this post: Test User

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:29 am

papers reporting he sent a whatsapp message voicing his concern about the state of the aircraft

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 am

An audio sent by Emiliano Sala to his friends/family moments before his plane went missing yesterday.

English Translation: "Hello brothers, how are you all? I was here in Nantes doing things and [inaudible]."

"I'm here on the airplane and it seems like it's going to fall. I'm headed towards Cardiff because tomorrow afternoon we start to train boys, we're a team."

"Let's hope and see what happens. How are you, my brothers? Everything alright?"

"If in an hour and 30min you don't hear back from me... I don't know if they're going to send someone for me because they won't find me, so you'll know."

"I'm so afraid man."

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 am

Bloody hell, that’s absolutely haunting.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 am

****. Imagine hearing that from a loved one :shock:

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 am

Terrible tragedy.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:13 am

It looks like visibility was poor but what is the gliding range on these type of aircraft compare to a normal airliner based on normal travelling heights ? Can a normal airliner fly comfortably on one engine ?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 am

Oshkoshclaret wrote:No way were we sending a single engined plane over the lake at night, into known icing. And that would be with the janitor on board, never mind a high value executive.
I hear the janitor values himself pretty highly.