The alternative to the Burnley way

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

The alternative to the Burnley way

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Just reading this article about Watford's approach. It's an interesting approach, very short-term on the face of it (but with an overall long-term strategy) and relying on making plenty of signings and selling them on.

It's pretty much the opposite of what we do but they're both pretty successful in their own way.

https://www.football365.com/news/watfor ... -the-chaos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: The alternative to the Burnley way

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:40 pm

They are part of a farming conglomerate as has been made abundantly clear in that article - both Uefa and FIFA have stated concerns about the approach and are likely to legislate against it going forward - the proposed restrictions on the amount of players you can loan out is only the first step on this road

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Seems a pretty successful business model to me and allows them to compete with the big boys. Not sure where the signing of Gray fits into the model though?

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:10 pm

I dislike Watford ever since Elton John left them as a Chairman when I thought he did a tremendous job while he was there.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Interesting tale and certainly would explain their rise from relative obscurity. It's a pity there are no rules about onwers owning more than one club albeit in differrent countries as this could certainly lead to conflict of interest. What happens if two of the clubs ever met in Europe for instance?

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Fair play to them.
It's working, and the biggest blip they had in the last couple of years was after Silva wanted to leave to go to Everton... so they're not wrong in there theory.
Hopefully Burnley can build a similar scouting network as the next step in our progression.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:36 pm

I've every admiration for Watford to get a model that works and has brought them success. They haven't run up mountains of debt and play (dodgy letters aside) within the rules. You need clubs like us and Watford who are prepared to push the rules to the boundaries to make football interesting.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:18 pm

JTClaret wrote:Hopefully Burnley can build a similar scouting network as the next step in our progression.
The only downside it seems to Watford's approach is that the have to ignore any young British talent.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Spijed wrote:The only downside it seems to Watford's approach is that the have to ignore any young British talent.
No reason for us to stop what we are doing as well, but it's not been so much scouting as picking up scraps. The handy benefit of being relatively close to big clubs (eg. United, City, Liverpool) is there may be better quality scraps including those that slip through the net a la McNeil. We've been a stepping stone for quite a few strikers, even if not many have gone on to better things.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Spijed wrote:The only downside it seems to Watford's approach is that the have to ignore any young British talent.
I suspect, in Watford's case, the main issue is that young British talent is overpriced. (I can't really see how the Gray signing fitted their model, I guess the hope was he'd continue to bang in the goals.)