Manchester City no fair play at all

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Manchester City no fair play at all

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Rileybobs wrote:You mean it’s a yardstick to show how much better than us Manchester City have got?

Edit - unless you’re stupidly trying to suggest we haven’t progressed under Dyche?
Man city aren't as good as they were last season.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:39 pm

ALP wrote:Football might be better when they do, or at least level the playing field out a bit here as this is becoming tedious
I imagine that if 4 of our top clubs left for a so-called super league there would be heavy new investment on the next clubs most likely to succeed. Basically we will not benefit from a possible exodus because the vacuum will be filled by wealthier clubs than Burnley.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Why would I say that when we are so close to winning a cup and breaking into the top 6?
Unless you’ve got a very limited memory, in our most recent league finish we came closer to breaking into the top 6 than we have done for 45 years.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Lol I have no idea what you expect t rex. We finished 7th last year and every team in the premier league bar the big 6 are striving for exactly that. I do understand your cup theory though but being realistic it's all about the money for us and the money is in the premier league.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Beat me to it rileybobs

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:43 pm

Spijed wrote:Man city aren't as good as they were last season.
I’d suggest they are. Where are they weaker?

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Unless you’ve got a very limited memory, in our most recent league finish we came closer to breaking into the top 6 than we have done for 45 years.
And then what happened?
Have we built on that incredible success this season?
Are we not challenging for a cup and breaking into the top 6?
Or are we breathing a huge sigh of relief every time we get knocked out of any kind of tournament so we can concentrate on scrapping for survival?

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Yeah, let's get pumped 5-0 by City and put a positive spin on it eh?

We are Burnley Super Burnley and Dyche is G O D.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:And then what happened?
Have we built on that incredible success this season?
Are we not challenging for a cup and breaking into the top 6?
Or are we breathing a huge sigh of relief every time we get knocked out of any kind of tournament so we can concentrate on scrapping for survival?
Then we competed in our first European campaign in god knows how long. Then we made a terrible start to the league season and have recently looked to have turned a corner. Were you seriously expecting us to be breaking into the top six or winning a cup this season? Have you taken a bang to the head?
This user liked this post: tiger76

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Yeah, let's get pumped 5-0 by City and put a positive spin on it eh?

We are Burnley Super Burnley and Dyche is G O D.
What’s the positive spin? We lost against arguably the beat club side in the world. I don’t see any positive posts on this board, just the usual mix of realistic ones and deluded ones.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Tilting at windmills, Rileybobs.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Sooner the likes of City, PSG etc form their own super league the better.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:16 pm

Spijed wrote:Man city aren't as good as they were last season.
They have played most of this season without their best player and will still probably win the league.
Take Salah out of the Liverpool team and they wouldn't be anywhere near

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:16 pm

Rileybobs wrote:What’s the positive spin? We lost against arguably the beat club side in the world. I don’t see any positive posts on this board, just the usual mix of realistic ones and deluded ones.
City are good, very good in fact, but are still some way short of being the best club side in the world.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:22 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:City are good, very good in fact, but are still some way short of being the best club side in the world.
We'll see in the later stages of the Champions League when they face some of the other 4 or 5 contenders. I suspect they'll prove they are there or thereabouts.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Sooner the likes of City, PSG etc form their own super league the better.
I don't agree because most of the money would go with them. No way will sky and bt or the overseas broadcasters pay the sort of money they currently do for the rights to screen premier league, they will pay it to the super league.
Sky money has paid for Gawthorpe, the corners filling in, new club shop, etc. It will pay for the redevelopment of the Bob Lord and Cricketfield stands. A super league would deny us the income to fulfil these ambitions.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:33 pm

No Ney Never wrote:I don't agree because most of the money would go with them. No way will sky and bt or the overseas broadcasters pay the sort of money they currently do for the rights to screen premier league, they will pay it to the super league.
Sky money has paid for Gawthorpe, the corners filling in, new club shop, etc. It will pay for the redevelopment of the Bob Lord and Cricketfield stands. A super league would deny us the income to fulfil these ambitions.
I meant competition wise. These teams have 2 or 3 internationals on multi million pound contracts in every position.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:I meant competition wise. These teams have 2 or 3 internationals on multi million pound contracts in every position.
It is up to us to improve and get better.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:43 pm

Spijed wrote:I'd rather operate the way we do, however I doubt any Rovers fans complained about how unfair it was for other teams when they became the richest club in the world when Jack Walker invested his money.
Not an investment just a blind. Selfish ego-trip.
Look where it's landed them.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 pm

No Ney Never wrote:It is up to us to improve and get better.
We have over the years but we’ll never compete with teams with that financial backing. How are we ever going to match Man City currently?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:51 pm

No Ney Never wrote:I don't agree because most of the money would go with them. No way will sky and bt or the overseas broadcasters pay the sort of money they currently do for the rights to screen premier league, they will pay it to the super league.
Were you there today? The gulf between the two sides was frightening. There is no enjoyment to be had watching your team so outclassed all over the pitch. Had it not been a tenner/fiver then I suspect many of those from Burnley just wouldn't have bothered. I know I wouldn't. City's money is killing the spectacle. Effectively there is no game and that is with a Premier league side providing the opposition. But if a new club shop and a new stand are what you crave then fair enough but I Iike to enjoy the 90 minutes, the ebbs and flows of a game and the challenge provided by the other team. Today was just a clock watching vigil from minute one to the last minute,hoping to escape with an acceptable thumping.......... again. Sad thing too it's only going to get worse.
These 7 users liked this post: CleggHall jrgbfc hampsteadclaret Steve-Harpers-perm Ashingtonclaret46 claretfern Vegas Claret

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Today was a true mismatch.. there are some match stats on one of these threads ( maybe this one) which prove it.
City were way ahead of us and it was all about (in the end) keeping the score down.

I always enjoy Burnley matches (eg. 0-0 away at Watford last week) and I don’t mind losing when beaten fairly. I did not enjoy today though...MCFC and their massive wealth are ruining it. .. even those other Big clubs are out of their depth.

The rain today, that soulless Etihad and the true horrors of the X43 both ways have made it a belter. Apologies for the whinge, that’s not usually me.

** between 1958 and 1972 there were eleven different winners of the Division One title, including Burnley, Derby, Ipswich and Wolves. That’s what a proper competition looks like.

No I am not sure what the solution is.
These 3 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Ashingtonclaret46 claretfern

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:32 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:No I am not sure what the solution is.
The wage cap coming back?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:34 pm

When you think about it, a super league would be little more than a series of exhibition matches. Football really would be dead.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:39 pm

boatshed bill wrote:When you think about it, a super league would be little more than a series of exhibition matches. Football really would be dead.
I certainly find myself missing more 'Super Sunday' games than I did a few years ago. I think football has naturally become less of a spectacle, due to there being a lot more of it on TV. But I agree, a super league to me might as well be football in another country. I'd watch some of it initially and then it'll wear off.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6849 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Cheer up everyone FFS................we dis so much better then Burton.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill FactualFrank

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Unless you’ve got a very limited memory, in our most recent league finish we came closer to breaking into the top 6 than we have done for 45 years.
Doubt anyone has forgotten. Wonderful achievement. But we've definitely slipped backwards from that. Spirit just isnt there in nany games this season.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:31 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Were you there today? The gulf between the two sides was frightening. There is no enjoyment to be had watching your team so outclassed all over the pitch. Had it not been a tenner/fiver then I suspect many of those from Burnley just wouldn't have bothered. I know I wouldn't. City's money is killing the spectacle. Effectively there is no game and that is with a Premier league side providing the opposition. But if a new club shop and a new stand are what you crave then fair enough but I Iike to enjoy the 90 minutes, the ebbs and flows of a game and the challenge provided by the other team. Today was just a clock watching vigil from minute one to the last minute,hoping to escape with an acceptable thumping.......... again. Sad thing too it's only going to get worse.
The only way to improve is to play against players better than you. By being in the prem we are a better team than we were in the championship. Man city have had a large cash injection in a short space of time that has given them a leap forward, but in time others will catch up. Nottingham Forrest were the kings of Europe, Liverpool have dominated, Man United have been top dogs. We once had a top two, we had a top four, we now have a top six.
What's the difference between wanting the top teams to form a super league and us dropping down a division? I don't want to play in the championship but that's the equivalent of what the prem will become if there is a superleague.
It is up to us to find a way to compete. In our case, without a multi billionaire benefactor, that will only come through recruiting world class players before they're recognised as world class. When the 'top six' are bidding huge amounts for Burnley players....
At times it is embarrassing, but wishing teams like man city away is not the answer.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Find me a Leicester city or Crystal Palace supporter who share the sentiments on this thread.

It's a bit pathetic as we are on the same number of points as Crystal palace.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:15 pm

And as for the idea that Man city could put out a second team and win the league simply isn't true either.

Take out Fernandinho (?) and they lost 3 out of 4 matches.

It shows that even if just one key player gets injured for them they are nowhere near as good.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 am

They had a few 'key players' on the sidelines today. They still looked pretty good to me.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:05 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:They had a few 'key players' on the sidelines today. They still looked pretty good to me.
Fernandinho is crucial to them. Without him they are nowhere near as good, hence why they lost 3 out of 4 when he was injured.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 am

I'd say their best player is Debruyne.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:09 am

FactualFrank wrote:I'd say their best player is Debruyne.
He's certainly the best player, but like Roy Keane was for Utd, Fernandinho seems to be the one who holds the team together.
Last edited by Spijed on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:09 am

Spijed wrote:Fernandinho is crucial to them. Without him they are nowhere near as good, hence why they lost 3 out of 4 when he was injured.
Yep. Does the Busquets role well. Foul, foul, foul. Without him that team would be ripped apart.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:13 am

Spijed wrote:Fernandinho is crucial to them. Without him they are nowhere near as good, hence why they lost 3 out of 4 when he was injured.
Well, I can't argue with statistics. But somehow I don't see their other players as 'bit part' players who require some sort of guidance from him. We'll just have to beg to differ on that one.

Claretto
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Claretto » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:21 am

Lord Beamish wrote:they’d still be bouncing between the top two divisions with boring monotony
Sounds familiar