Did Wigan think they had no chance of beating Man city?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Did Wigan think they had no chance of beating Man city?

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Last season.

Just wondered

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2976 times

Re: Did Wigan think they had no chance of beating Man city?

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am

No...but:
- they were at home under the lights
- the game would've had massive novelty value for them as a League 1 team playing a Premier League team i.e. their "cup final"
- The financial motivation of a cup run for the club would have been very strong for them
- City are even now better now than they were then.....presumably Burton (another League 1 side) really wanted to do well against them.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am

I can’t believe Wigan didn’t get relegated because they won
These 3 users liked this post: Steddyman Quickenthetempo houseboy

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:21 am

Spijed wrote:Last season.

Just wondered
Yep they probably did think that actually

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:No...but:
- they were at home under the lights
- the game would've had massive novelty value for them as a League 1 team playing a Premier League team i.e. their "cup final"
- The financial motivation of a cup run for the club would have been very strong for them
- City are even now better now than they were then.....presumably Burton (another League 1 side) really wanted to do well against them.
If City are better than last season how come they've lost more games, got less points?
This user liked this post: houseboy

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4031 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am

Any chance of merging the Cup threads? They are tedious and boring in equal measure, and are somewhat clogging the board up.
This user liked this post: Damo

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:23 am

Spijed wrote:If City are better than last season how come they've lost more games, got less points?
The competition has got better. Teams have worked out how to play against them. They have been unlucky with injuries. A number of reasons why they may have picked up less points than last season.

Could you show us one area where they are weaker than last season?

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:35 am

Wigan players had fight and a will to at least give it a go no matter what the outcome and got what they deserved. which is what we got yesterday for the way we went about it, we had premier league players going through the motions, we could have at least looked like we had a game plan because if what I witnessed yesterday was part of a game plan then God help us.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am

Rileybobs wrote:The competition has got better. Teams have worked out how to play against them. They have been unlucky with injuries. A number of reasons why they may have picked up less points than last season.

Surely if City are better than last season then the gap between them and the competition wouldn't have closed.

As for injuries, perhaps it was the case they were lucky last season, rather unlucky this. Every team gets injuries and perhaps it puts to bed the argument that their squad isn't as strong when put under a bit of pressure.

It's certainly no coincidence that they lost 3 out of 4 matches when 2 or 3 of the best players were out. Look at how Spurs are struggling without Kane and Son.

It does seem that when Fernandinho is injured they are nowhere near as good.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -weak-link" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Re: Did Wigan think they had no chance of beating Man city? A

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am

God help us and a lot of other clubs when they play Man City.

I'll rephrase the title of this post, I'm not sure why it is relevant.

Did the bookmakers think Burnley had a chance of beating Man City.

Not sure why UTC posters are getting their knickers in a twist after losing to a team who are quite good. In the whole world of football no one will have batted an eye lid at the score yesterday although some UTC posters are struggling to come to terms with it.

We are 10/1 at OT on Tuesday although I'd imagine some UTC posters will be ranting and raving if we don't win.

When did we become big time? I missed it.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:51 am

And people forget under Fergie Man U. were capable of putting eight past teams like Arsenal.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 am

Spijed wrote:And people forget under Fergie Man U. were capable of putting eight past teams like Arsenal.
It's a different level we will never get to. Just having a look at transport for Greater Manchester for travel for Tuesday, they are expecting 75,000. Big crowd that, we get that in 3.5 home games. £80-£90m players and our match day income wouldn't cover Sanchez's wages for very long and he's just a substitute.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Spijed wrote:Surely if City are better than last season then the gap between them and the competition wouldn't have closed.
Not true in the slightest. If the other teams have improved at a greater rate, as Liverpool obviously have then the gap will close. It doesn’t necessarily point to them being weaker than last season. And if you take away the 3-4 game blip then I’m guessing there is little between this season and last. They could conceivably win the PL with less points this season but also go on to win the Champions League in which case I doubt anyone would be saying they are weaker than last season.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 FactualFrank

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Classic spijed.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Did Wigan think they had no chance of beating Man city? A

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 pm

NL Claret wrote:God help us and a lot of other clubs when they play Man City.

I'll rephrase the title of this post, I'm not sure why it is relevant.

Did the bookmakers think Burnley had a chance of beating Man City.

Not sure why UTC posters are getting their knickers in a twist after losing to a team who are quite good. In the whole world of football no one will have batted an eye lid at the score yesterday although some UTC posters are struggling to come to terms with it.

We are 10/1 at OT on Tuesday although I'd imagine some UTC posters will be ranting and raving if we don't win.

When did we become big time? I missed it.
If any fans went to the Etihad expecting anything apart from a hiding then they were doomed to disappointment.

I don't think any PL sides have played their entire first 11 in any of the cups this season,the major difference is the top six have strong back-up's that can be called upon.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:30 am

Rileybobs wrote:The competition has got better. Teams have worked out how to play against them. They have been unlucky with injuries. A number of reasons why they may have picked up less points than last season.

We haven't worked out how to play against them. Apart from being a fabulous side they also appear to be one of our biggest bogey teams, I've almost lost count of how many times they've put 5/6 past us, even in the lower divisions. Even a few years ago when they weren't even in the PL a mate where I worked then (a City fan) always used to have a laugh when we played them, saying the day before 'I wonder how many we're gonna get tomorrow'?

I know City are a great side but they surely are not 5-0 better than us? Other teams can give them a game and Leicester beat them recently. They've put 10 (that's ten) goals past us in 2 games so far this season and we've got to play them again yet. That is scary.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:41 am

Well at least everyone's stopped complaining about the Uefa cup exit...

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:00 am

The problem is that we send out a team with no intention of competing. That's why we get turned over by the likes of Lincoln, Burton and Accrington.
I thought 0-5 was a good result against City given the bizarre team selection and our attitude to cup games.

We'll probably get beaten at Old Trafford this week, but at least there'll be a bit of fight shown.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:33 am

houseboy wrote:We haven't worked out how to play against them. Apart from being a fabulous side they also appear to be one of our biggest bogey teams, I've almost lost count of how many times they've put 5/6 past us, even in the lower divisions.
By my reckoning our record against them under Dyche in the Premier League is W1 D2 L4. When you consider the differences in finances that's not that bad. Two of those defeats were 2-1.

Boll ewood
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by Boll ewood » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

Dyched wrote:I can’t believe Wigan didn’t get relegated because they won
Maybe they didn't get relegated because they where going for promotion hence why they are in the championship now :D But I get your point. The gave is over and done with now. Let's just forget about it and support the lads at OT. UTC.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:By my reckoning our record against them under Dyche in the Premier League is W1 D2 L4. When you consider the differences in finances that's not that bad. Two of those defeats were 2-1.
And two were 5-0 ha ha. I recall them putting 6 past us at the Turf once (not under Dyche of course). They're beginning to get on my nerves. :roll:

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:02 pm

One was 5-0, the other 3-0. Point is you say we haven't worked out how to play against them, when there's evidence we're doing as well, if not better, than most teams.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:22 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:One was 5-0, the other 3-0. Point is you say we haven't worked out how to play against them, when there's evidence we're doing as well, if not better, than most teams.
So true.

We are on exactly the same number of points as Palace yet I bet no-one thinks they'll concede five if they play Man City at the Etihad in the FA Cup.

I don't subscribe to the belief the gap is getting bigger, it's just our style seems to suit Man City more than most. Even Newcastle were a bit unlucky when they played them earlier in the season.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm

We play in a very strange way. We let the opposition have the ball. Teams that normally do that can be dangerously quick on the break which we aren't. Also 80% of teams in the PL struggle to break us down. There ain’t many players outside the top 6 who can play the final pass. Where as with no pace to go at City on the break, combined with 4/5 players who can make the final pass is a deadly combination.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Boll ewood wrote:Maybe they didn't get relegated because they where going for promotion hence why they are in the championship now :D But I get your point. The gave is over and done with now. Let's just forget about it and support the lads at OT. UTC.
They were promoted and won a game in the FA Cup in the same season?? WOW that is MASSIVE. Even with the 95 point deduction from winning Cup games?

Boll ewood
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by Boll ewood » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:52 pm

They were promoted and won a game in the FA Cup in the same season?? WOW that is MASSIVE. Even with the 95 point deduction from winning Cup games?[/quote

Getting promoted and beating city in the cup for a league one team is massive yeah.

I want burnley to win every game we play. But football is now a business and money talks and the money is in the premier league not the cup. I've had brilliant experiences as a fan in the cup. Derby away. Fulham away at loftus road. Liverpool at home to name a few.