Gutted, but...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Re: Gutted, but...

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 am

Rileybobs wrote:Considering how the team tired in the last 15 minutes is it not conceivable that a more exerting game on Saturday with our key players getting more game time could have led to a much more leggy performance today?

Dyche’s decision has been vindicated, clearly, if you don’t want to admit it then that makes you look a bit silly.

And who said Man City were unbeatable?
There is no proof whatsoever in what you say so no-one looks silly really. I find it odd when people have to justify what they say by claiming anyone who disagrees with them is silly, before anyone has. It's kind of covering your back because you are not certain yourself.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Maybe City would have been a bit fresher tonight had they rested more players against us. In any case I don’t really care about Manchester City. I’m talking about Burnley and our small squad which has been heavily impacted by injuries. I think it’s clear that by resting a few of our key players we were able to compete better today.

Edit - worth noting that Solskjaer was saying this week that he would never sacrifice a Cup game for league points. Could it be that their efforts at weekend contributed to their dropped points tonight. The case is building.
No doubt about it. The effort City had to put in beating us 5-0 had taken its toll !!!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:50 pm

houseboy wrote:There is no proof whatsoever in what you say so no-one looks silly really. I find it odd when people have to justify what they say by claiming anyone who disagrees with them is silly, before anyone has. It's kind of covering your back because you are not certain yourself.
Yes rather like when people (some on here ) call people thick and stupid if they dont agree with their political view.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Stayingup wrote:No doubt about it. The effort City had to put in beating us 5-0 had taken its toll !!!
Manchester City and Manchester United both fielded very strong teams in the FA cup and both dropped points unexpectedly

Newcastle United and Burnley both fielded weak teams in the FA cup and picked up points that were very much unexpected.

The evidence is there, if you want to ignore it that’s your choice.

Of course, us punters know far more about player recovery and risk of injury than the professionals which makes you wonder why managers ever rest players at all.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Stayingup wrote:Yes rather like when people (some on here ) call people thick and stupid if they dont agree with their political view.
To be honest if it didn't go against my total belief in free speech I would ban the use of the words 'thick' and 'stupid' when aimed at other posters. To insult someone because they disagree with your view shows a lack of ability to argue intelligently.

'I disagree with everything that man says but I would die fighting for his right to say it.'

Never a better statement made in my view.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Manchester City and Manchester United both fielded very strong teams in the FA cup and both dropped points unexpectedly

Newcastle United and Burnley both fielded weak teams in the FA cup and picked up points that were very much unexpected.

Of course, us punters know far more about player recovery and risk of injury than the professionals which makes you wonder why managers ever rest players at all.
How can you say that? Dyche simply fielded a BETTER side against United, there is no evidence whatsoever to prove that those 'better' players played well because of the rest. City fielded a strong team yes, but their second team is strong and regulars WERE missing.

Dyche does a great job for us but his attitude to cups is truly appalling when in the end they represent our only chance of a trophy. I want to see our regular first team played in cup competitions and nothing less will do, why do you think so many have stopped attending cup games now, not just us but many teams, certainly in the top two divisions. Managers have devalued cups and our manager is, sadly, one of them.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:26 pm

houseboy wrote:How can you say that? Dyche simply fielded a BETTER side against United, there is no evidence whatsoever to prove that those 'better' players played well because of the rest. City fielded a strong team yes, but their second team is strong and regulars WERE missing.

Dyche does a great job for us but his attitude to cups is truly appalling when in the end they represent our only chance of a trophy. I want to see our regular first team played in cup competitions and nothing less will do, why do you think so many have stopped attending cup games now, not just us but many teams, certainly in the top two divisions. Managers have devalued cups and our manager is, sadly, one of them.
I'm not disagreeing with anybody who thinks we should field a stronger team in the cup competitions - that is down to your own personal preference or priority. I am disagreeing with people who suggest that giving players more time to recover between matches doesn't improve their chances of increased performance levels - which it clearly does as it's backed up by professional sports scientists and is why managers rest players when given the opportunity.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:15 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:There’s some fine examples of backtracking on this thread.

Bravo!
Indeed. Funny though.
Last edited by cricketfieldclarets on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Manchester City and Manchester United both fielded very strong teams in the FA cup and both dropped points unexpectedly

So city started with 6 of saturdays team. We start with 5. Huge difference. :lol:

Stop back tracking and fibbing. Just admit you are wrong.

Youve already lied and bent what you said about them being unbeatable. :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:31 am

Rileybobs wrote:I'm not disagreeing with anybody who thinks we should field a stronger team in the cup competitions - that is down to your own personal preference or priority. I am disagreeing with people who suggest that giving players more time to recover between matches doesn't improve their chances of increased performance levels - which it clearly does as it's backed up by professional sports scientists and is why managers rest players when given the opportunity.
So at what point does that rest result in lack of match practice? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? Ever? I have said this many times but I fail to see how a highly paid, highly trained, well cared for professional sportsman cannot be expected to perform once or even twice per week. Okay there is the chance of injury but that can happen in any game. Which means if you don't play them in cup games you are, as a manager, making a judgement call on that game and as such are devaluing it both as a game and a competition.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:So city started with 6 of saturdays team. We start with 5. Huge difference. :lol:

Stop back tracking and fibbing. Just admit you are wrong.

Youve already lied and bent what you said about them being unbeatable. :lol:
We made 7 changes, so started with 4 of Saturday's team and City made 5. You really seem to struggle with numbers, are you innumerate or just disingenuous?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 pm

Tall Paul wrote:We made 7 changes, so started with 4 of Saturday's team and City made 5. You really seem to struggle with numbers, are you innumerate or just disingenuous?
You are right. I thought Brady started at Old Trafford.

Still. He is wrong.

He said we would never beat city regardless. Obviously we could have. And obviously we could have taken it more seriously.

City brought in all their best players for Newcastle - and lost.