Through the eyes of an 8 year old

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JamesSherbourne
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Through the eyes of an 8 year old

Post by JamesSherbourne » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Me & my 8 year old lad live in Leicester, despite being born & rised in Leeds I’ve been a Claret 29 years, we get too about 15 / 20 games a season both Home & Away. I don’t often take my lad away but when I managed to get tickets for last night I jumped at the chance. A great chance for him to watch us at Old Trafford. He’s being coming on games for about 2/3 seasons and only ever really known “success” I’m sure he doesn’t believe me when I talk about The 4th Division. Anyway we parked up - Near an incredibly loud Man Utd pub ( they cant have gone in the ground as I heard very little from them during the game :D ) And the look of fear on Scott’s face was not one I’ve ever seen at football before, I reassured him, covered the colours up & we walked to the ground. He was mesmerised with it and more than a little anxious. The token Man Utd dick heads gave us loads in the queue at E30 going in, he glared at me as if to say what have you done Dad - Put his ticket in the scanner, pushed the turnstile and heard No Nay Never flooding down the stairs in front of us “ God I’m glad we’re in Dad “ We spent our £14 on 6 items from the kiosk - Not bad to be fair & the biggest hotdog he’d ever had. I knew we’d be standing and I like that, butnot so easy when your lads 4ft 2. Fair Play to the lads behind us who happily demanded he stood throughout on his chair - It’s appreciated. I’ve always got the impression he’s come along firstly to get spoilt on Burnley gear, eat loads of food & watch the opposition as much as anything - An 8 year old watching Pogba, De Gea & Co is exciting, maybe previously more exciting than watching us - But Not last night, he was absolutely gripped from minute one & sadly inconsolable after. He stood on that chair and belted songs out, being quietly selective with his words during some incase I told his Mum !! I’d normally be gutted in how it ended but last night all I felt was huge pride. I went with an 8 year old football fan - I came home with a lifelong Claret UTC
These 64 users liked this post: Leisure levraiclaret claretnproud Raggus winsomeyen bartons baggage Ashingtonclaret46 Rick_Muller Masham Ale burnleymik piston broke BurnleyPaul bfcmartin Duffer_ Stacky_claret LeuvenClaret conyoviejo PhiladelphiaChris IndigoLake PaintYorkClaretnBlue elwaclaret Yorkiclaret tim_noone Caballo HunterST_BFC icu81b4 Juan Tanamera claretgimmer AfloatinClaret TsarBomba Andingle Lord Beamish Roosterbooster chorleyhere ArmchairDetective Andy J thomaspaine JimMcDonald africlaret MG70 longsidepies Vintage Claret Falcon Chip Harrison Dyched JohnMac Narwhalchomper claret wizard DocFoster jjclaret DeepingClaret Healeywoodclaret Guller Bull groove Goalposts bfcjg bodge Bertiebeehead Wuggawumphwumph Brucefanclaret MrClaretandBlue DCWat Holmeclaret longside72

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Re: Through the eyes of an 8 year old

Post by claretnproud » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:57 pm

You do know he is hooked now and its all your fault..lol.
These 3 users liked this post: JamesSherbourne Leisure chorleyhere

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Nice work James.
This user liked this post: JamesSherbourne

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Fantastic

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 471 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Magic. He went through the entire range of emotions, hopes fears and disappointments there. The spell is cast.
These 2 users liked this post: JamesSherbourne Leisure

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:28 pm

JamesSherbourne wrote:Me & my 8 year old lad live in Leicester, despite being born & rised in Leeds I’ve been a Claret 29 years, we get too about 15 / 20 games a season both Home & Away. I don’t often take my lad away but when I managed to get tickets for last night I jumped at the chance. A great chance for him to watch us at Old Trafford. He’s being coming on games for about 2/3 seasons and only ever really known “success” I’m sure he doesn’t believe me when I talk about The 4th Division. Anyway we parked up - Near an incredibly loud Man Utd pub ( they cant have gone in the ground as I heard very little from them during the game :D ) And the look of fear on Scott’s face was not one I’ve ever seen at football before, I reassured him, covered the colours up & we walked to the ground. He was mesmerised with it and more than a little anxious. The token Man Utd dick heads gave us loads in the queue at E30 going in, he glared at me as if to say what have you done Dad - Put his ticket in the scanner, pushed the turnstile and heard No Nay Never flooding down the stairs in front of us “ God I’m glad we’re in Dad “ We spent our £14 on 6 items from the kiosk - Not bad to be fair & the biggest hotdog he’d ever had. I knew we’d be standing and I like that, butnot so easy when your lads 4ft 2. Fair Play to the lads behind us who happily demanded he stood throughout on his chair - It’s appreciated. I’ve always got the impression he’s come along firstly to get spoilt on Burnley gear, eat loads of food & watch the opposition as much as anything - An 8 year old watching Pogba, De Gea & Co is exciting, maybe previously more exciting than watching us - But Not last night, he was absolutely gripped from minute one & sadly inconsolable after. He stood on that chair and belted songs out, being quietly selective with his words during some incase I told his Mum !! I’d normally be gutted in how it ended but last night all I felt was huge pride. I went with an 8 year old football fan - I came home with a lifelong Claret UTC
Decades of heartbreak, torment and agonising, with the occasional brief interruption of sheer bliss, await the little fella.

Hopefully!

Great post pal.

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 pm

What a cracking post

Claret eze
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Claret eze » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

JamesSherbourne wrote:Me & my 8 year old lad live in Leicester, despite being born & rised in Leeds I’ve been a Claret 29 years, we get too about 15 / 20 games a season both Home & Away. I don’t often take my lad away but when I managed to get tickets for last night I jumped at the chance. A great chance for him to watch us at Old Trafford. He’s being coming on games for about 2/3 seasons and only ever really known “success” I’m sure he doesn’t believe me when I talk about The 4th Division. Anyway we parked up - Near an incredibly loud Man Utd pub ( they cant have gone in the ground as I heard very little from them during the game :D ) And the look of fear on Scott’s face was not one I’ve ever seen at football before, I reassured him, covered the colours up & we walked to the ground. He was mesmerised with it and more than a little anxious. The token Man Utd dick heads gave us loads in the queue at E30 going in, he glared at me as if to say what have you done Dad - Put his ticket in the scanner, pushed the turnstile and heard No Nay Never flooding down the stairs in front of us “ God I’m glad we’re in Dad “ We spent our £14 on 6 items from the kiosk - Not bad to be fair & the biggest hotdog he’d ever had. I knew we’d be standing and I like that, butnot so easy when your lads 4ft 2. Fair Play to the lads behind us who happily demanded he stood throughout on his chair - It’s appreciated. I’ve always got the impression he’s come along firstly to get spoilt on Burnley gear, eat loads of food & watch the opposition as much as anything - An 8 year old watching Pogba, De Gea & Co is exciting, maybe previously more exciting than watching us - But Not last night, he was absolutely gripped from minute one & sadly inconsolable after. He stood on that chair and belted songs out, being quietly selective with his words during some incase I told his Mum !! I’d normally be gutted in how it ended but last night all I felt was huge pride. I went with an 8 year old football fan - I came home with a lifelong Claret UTC
Class.i love hearing stuff like that.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Still remember going to OT for the first time with my dad - Jesper Olson, Alan Brasil, Gorden Stracken... not surprisingly they looked like the best team in the world ever and buried us but still remember it as a nipper.... I'm 48. A memory of a night out with his dad he'll remember for the rest of his life.

Brill, well done. Top man you

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Heart warming i must say .

JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by JimMcDonald » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Great post.

Welcome to the claret family Scott.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Early contender for the post of 2019. 8-)

Great stuff !

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Top post.

Here’s to more fantastic away days, and lots more memories that will last a lifetime.

JamesSherbourne
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by JamesSherbourne » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:16 pm

I’ve just gone upstairs to put him & his non football fan brother to bed & he’s literally bolt upright singing
“Is this the Etihad” :o
These 4 users liked this post: HunterST_BFC Dyched Chip Harrison Brucefanclaret

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 pm

JamesSherbourne wrote:I’ve just gone upstairs to put him & his non football fan brother to bed & he’s literally bolt upright singing
“Is this the Etihad” :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:37 am

Brilliant OP, glad you and your lad had a memorable night.

I'm looking forward to taking my grandson to his first ever Burnley game in due course.

He's only 6 and not expressed any great desire to go on a game yet but has been wearing Burnley shirts and kipping in BFC pyjamas on sleepovers since the age of 2 so hopefully the seeds of a future lifelong Claret have been well sown :-)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 am

In a sea of dross on here this is a brilliant post

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 am

Brilliant post.
You know what James, I had a similar night to you.
Mine were both born down here in South Manchester.
1 mile from Maine Rd and 2 from Old Trafford.
I don't know how I have done it, but they are both Burnley fans and ST holders.
Daughter is now 21 and son 17.
As you can imagine they have grown up with a lot of stick!
Daughter is going out with a Utd fan and we had a pint together in the Cricket Club before the game.
She said to him 'Good Luck' as we left him, so I jumped in and insisted she changed that to 'enjoy the game'.
Son had been in a different pub with his Utd mates. He met us in our seats in the away end.
As the game progressed, I just felt immense pride in the team and club.
At the end of course I was gutted, but I really felt for my 2 as it could have given them reward for their lifelong stick!
Never mind it will happen one day.

Off topic, behind me were 2x 70/80 year olds. The guy managed to stand the whole match, but his wife was sat the whole match.
She could not have seen anything. A steward did talk to her, I assume he asked her if she wanted to move. Whatever was said
she remained seated throughout. I was row 12, so I assume she was row 13. I know we talk about this a lot, but it needs sorting!
Also we were 5 seats from the UTD fans behind the goals. Why sell a seat if a steward is going to be stood in it!
Thanks to the fit young lady for each hug after we scored. You made an old man very happy! (and a bit more besides!) :lol:

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 am

JamesSherbourne wrote:He stood on that chair and belted songs out, being quietly selective with his words during some incase I told his Mum !!
foul language will not be tolerated James...I’m tellin’ his Mum! :x

Great post...well done!
:D

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:56 am

First time I took youngest to the Turf, aged 6 - (against Bristol City I think) - after we went 2-0 up my lad piped up ''is it first to 10?''

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:20 pm

Loved breading that James. The next generation of Clarets! Nice one.

HarryPottsDesk
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by HarryPottsDesk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:52 pm

But where is the negativity, moaning and bogus expertise? Have I come on the wrong forum?
Well done James. A small island of positivity in an ocean of dross.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Did you get mustard or ketchup on the hotdog ? Apart from that minor omission a real heart warming post . :)

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:44 am

Great post! I’m 69 and this takes me back to my own childhood and a match against Liverpool. I’m hoping my grandson will come to games with us, but his Mum worries about the language. I’ll tell her your story and hope it helps! I hope you and your lad enjoy many more Burnley matches!

MrClaretandBlue
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by MrClaretandBlue » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:13 am

“What is a club in any case?

Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Bobby Robson