Scott Arfield

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Scott Arfield

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Working with a big Rangers fan today. He cannot believe that they got Arfield on a free. Said he is one of their best players in the last decade and as committed a player theyve ever had. A huge fan favourite. Was surprised we didnt pin him down. Although its obvious the appeal rangers had for him. Especially with Gerrard.

Mentioned Morelos (their sriker) to him. A player i would love to see us in for. He reckons he is already a 20m striker. Cost them peanuts. From abroad. We really need to exploit those markets.
Last edited by cricketfieldclarets on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: basil6345789 IndigoLake South West Claret.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Re: Scott Arfield

Post by IndigoLake » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Really glad it's working out for him. Big part of our recent success and a good guy as well.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets levraiclaret South West Claret. IanMcL

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:56 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Working with a big Rangers fan today. He cannot believe that they got Arfield on a free. Said he is one of their best players in the last decade and as committed a player theyve ever had. A huge fan favourite. Was surprised we didnt pin him down. Although its obvious the appeal rangers had for him. Especially with Gerrard.

Mentioned Morelos (their sriker) to him. A player i would love to see us in for. He reckons he is already a 20m striker. Cost them peanuts. From abroad. We really need to exploit those markets.
Couldn't understand us letting him go... took it as a sign we were about to drop a big signing for the season. Wish him every success once again, think he might turn up back at the turf when he's done playing unless the back team more on before that.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:00 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Couldn't understand us letting him go... took it as a sign we were about to drop a big signing for the season. Wish him every success once again, think he might turn up back at the turf when he's done playing unless the back team more on before that.
Would love to have kept it. But if we were suggesting we were moving on from him (or even if we werent) its not hard to see why he picked Rangers unfortunately.

Huge club. Huge crowds. Chasing trophies. Steven Gerrard. Chance to become an icon at a true global club.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:07 pm

I can’t still believe we got him on a free either tbh.

You can teach skills etc....

He was/is one of those players who has that drive and commitment that you can’t get from a coaching session/book.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:11 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Couldn't understand us letting him go... took it as a sign we were about to drop a big signing for the season. Wish him every success once again, think he might turn up back at the turf when he's done playing unless the back team more on before that.
We didn't 'let him go' at all. He decided he didn't want to sign a new deal as he wasn't getting enough playing time here and SD could not guarantee that his amount of playing time would increase. I would have kept him but I couldn't see him being anything more than a squad player with lots of time on the subs bench and the occasional start.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Working with a big Rangers fan today. He cannot believe that they got Arfield on a free. Said he is one of their best players in the last decade and as committed a player theyve ever had. A huge fan favourite. Was surprised we didnt pin him down. Although its obvious the appeal rangers had for him. Especially with Gerrard.

Celtic have found a good few who they sell on for big profits. It really should be a model we try to follow, in my eyes at least.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Agree really good news and hope he keeps it up and gets all he richly deserves going on his brilliant time at Burnley.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:52 pm

bfcmik wrote:We didn't 'let him go' at all. He decided he didn't want to sign a new deal as he wasn't getting enough playing time here and SD could not guarantee that his amount of playing time would increase. I would have kept him but I couldn't see him being anything more than a squad player with lots of time on the subs bench and the occasional start.
I thought it was contract length hay ho, certainly not going to enter any sort of argument.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Really good player, Arfs.
So obviously, he's every chance of standing out in Scotland. ;)

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Doing well in the lower league thats Scottish football.
Never good enough for a regular start in the Premier league

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I thought it was contract length hay ho, certainly not going to enter any sort of argument.
Could have been that. Or even some combination of the 2 issues. I don't know any of what went on other than things people were saying.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Who put the ball in the b4stards net! Pleased for the lad

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:37 pm

It’s ridiculous that he got overlooked for the national team.

Great player and seemed to be exactly the right kind of character to have in the dressing room.

Brilliant for us and to top it off got that goal against the bastards.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 pm

I actually COULD understand us letting him go, but what I fail to understand is why we never made serious plans to replace him and there have been several times this season when it's cost us.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Doing well in the lower league thats Scottish football.
Never good enough for a regular start in the Premier league
Couldn’t disagree more.

Very intelligent footballer. Operating in the lateral spaces as a wide midfielder, he was excellent at drifting into little pockets between the opposition defence and midfield. Technically good, dependable, hard working and an eye for goal.

We dropped a bollock not keeping him, but can’t begrudge him a move to a club like Rangers. I hope he does well, and wish him all the best.

Top man.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Dark Cloud wrote: what I fail to understand is why we never made serious plans to replace him
Some players are so unique they are irreplaceable...Super Scotty Arfield comes into that category :)
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:03 pm

He’s a bonafide Burnley Legend. A massive part of the most sustained period of growth and success in my lifetime.
These 3 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Dazzler The Enclosure

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 pm

DCWat wrote:Celtic have found a good few who they sell on for big profits. It really should be a model we try to follow, in my eyes at least.
There is a vast difference between us and Celtic,Celtic have the luxury of snapping up the top young talent in Scotland,have European football every season,play in front of 60,000 every home game and they also have a worldwide following,Rodgers has signed a few stinkers in his time there,but due to their success he's been given an easy ride so far.

I think we do try and develop talent where possible Michael Keane and Andre Gray where sold on for big profits,Tarks and perhaps Pope could move this summer for big bucks,while we're in the Premier League it will be harder for youngsters to get a chance,McNeil is a find this season,and some of the other youth team are being mentioned in dispatches,Benson was on the bench last night for instance.

Barnfield should help in our youth development,if we could have even one or two coming through every couple of years,the potential savings in transfer fees and wages whichever league we're competing in could be massive.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Dazzler wrote:Some players are so unique they are irreplaceable...Super Scotty Arfield comes into that category :)
I actually agree with this as I mentioned earlier.

You could replace him with a better “player” but not a better teammate/grafter/man.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 pm

The reason Scotty doesn't play for Scotland is that he's already played for Canada several times. His father was born in Scarborough, Ontario, which is the eastern part of Toronto. This is back in the days when there were actually still industrial jobs in Canada. Maybe his dad worked in the GM Scarborough Van Plant, which closed in the '80s. ExileCanada could probably tell you. He worked and lived in Scarborough "back in the day".

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 pm

ontario claret wrote:The reason Scotty doesn't play for Scotland is that he's already played for Canada several times. His father was born in Scarborough, Ontario, which is the eastern part of Toronto. This is back in the days when there were actually still industrial jobs in Canada. Maybe his dad worked in the GM Scarborough Van Plant, which closed in the '80s. ExileCanada could probably tell you. He worked and lived in Scarborough "back in the day".
Isn’t the reason why Scotty did not play for Scotland because that useless excuse for a manager Gordon Strackan (spelling) refused to select him, so after waiting for years Scotty finally agreed to play for Canada?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 pm

One of the two great engines and never say die spirit which helped us thrive. George Boyd being the other.

His enthusiasm was boundless.

We can only wish him the very, very best going forward.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie South West Claret. Wo Didi

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 pm

I always thought that his head was a bit too big for his body.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:He cannot believe that they got Arfield on a free.Was surprised we didnt pin him down.
They didn't get him on a free in a sense, they got an out of contract player. We tried to pin him down, he had offers for over a year before he left but had decided he wanted to move on.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 pm

Remember when I first saw him play away to York in the league cup I think it was, we won 4-0 and can distinctly remember Scottie’s goal from the left wing and from that moment I thought that we had signed a gooden.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:They didn't get him on a free in a sense, they got an out of contract player. We tried to pin him down, he had offers for over a year before he left but had decided he wanted to move on.
But he was on a free!?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Arfield is class, but Morelos has always looked wasteful whenever I’ve seen him play.

Not sure he’s up to Premier League standard.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:38 pm

Scotty knew that his time was running out for being picked as an international and that the Canadian option was always open, and so chose it. Scotty has an ice hockey player's attitude. Just put your head down and never say die. You're not allowed time on the ball/puck in ice hockey.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 pm

One of my favourite players ever. I wish we hadn't let him go but it does mean that the memories will always be good.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:57 pm

One of those players, like Barnes, Blake, Elliott, etc that I’d of been happy to give contracts that ensured they finished their careers at Burnley.

Many more players on that list.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Lancasterclaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:10 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:Arfield is class, but Morelos has always looked wasteful whenever I’ve seen him play.

Not sure he’s up to Premier League standard.
His words were:

'at the start of the season he was getting into positions and missing 4 or 5 but still getting the odd one. He is now getting into those same positions and scoring more consistently including some very difficult finishes'.

With defoe now there who knows, I bet they could be tempted!

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 pm

Morelos is terrible.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pm

willsclarets wrote:Morelos is terrible.
Really?

22 years old. Scored lots of goals since moving to Europe - I am sure its not easy for a young lad from Colombia to adapt to Finland and Scotland - never mind play football at a reasonable standard at the same time.

For what its worth he may not be Premier league quality - yet or in the future. But looks a player to me. And certainly a better prospect than the likes of Crouch!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBrcxOGhAR8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Really?

22 years old. Scored lots of goals since moving to Europe - I am sure its not easy for a young lad from Colombia to adapt to Finland and Scotland - never mind play football at a reasonable standard at the same time.

For what its worth he may not be Premier league quality - yet or in the future. But looks a player to me. And certainly a better prospect than the likes of Crouch!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBrcxOGhAR8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't be a grouch get off the couch everybody do the Peter Crouch.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:19 am

OH, NO!!!! My worst nightmare might have just happened. Ask Crouch if he still has his kit from Dulwich Hamlet. He's the type who would look so good "Pretty in Pink".

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:10 am

Sorry cricketfield my response was somewhat lazy. I've watched him quite a few times up in Scotland and there's no doubt he has an eye for goal at the lower levels. But even up here he tends to score against the lesser teams, and doesn't really perform against Celtic for instance. Not convinced about his general footballing ability alongside his goalscorers instinct, and his attitude is the pits. I can't say he doesn't work hard but he's a nasty petulant piece of work.
He might prove me wrong and at 22 he has time on his side, but it's a big jump to the premier League and I think he may fall short.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 am

Fair enough.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 am

Scotty wanted to go, and didn't want to sign a new contract, and wanted more playing time.

Absolutely no problem with him for that, and as someone has already said, I'd have kept him here for the rest of his career but he wanted to move on.

Genuine legend, genuinely a nice bloke and though I've no time whatsoever for any of the old firm clubs, happy to see him doing well.

Seen Morelos a bit. He's a good player, but that temper of his need sorting out.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Scotty wanted to go, and didn't want to sign a new contract, and wanted more playing time.

Absolutely no problem with him for that, and as someone has already said, I'd have kept him here for the rest of his career but he wanted to move on.

Genuine legend, genuinely a nice bloke and though I've no time whatsoever for any of the old firm clubs, happy to see him doing well.

Seen Morelos a bit. He's a good player, but that temper of his need sorting out.

Taking into account he wanted to go and didn't sign the contract offered surely you can still reach the same conclusion that we let him go.

it seems to becoming gospel now on here that is the case.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:33 am

I'm sure we'd rather have kept him (unlike Marney who was at the end) because he was more than capable of playing a variety of roles for us.

We just need to find the next Scotty Arfield who can do the same job!
These 2 users liked this post: South West Claret. bfcmik

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'm sure we'd rather have kept him (unlike Marney who was at the end) because he was more than capable of playing a variety of roles for us.

We just need to find the next Scotty Arfield who can do the same job!
Re-your last line LC, I think that with our managerial team there is every chance that will happen at some point.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 pm

Weve got three upgrades on Scott.Ash Westwood.Jack Cork and Dwight McNeil all technically better players

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Weve got three upgrades on Scott.Ash Westwood.Jack Cork and Dwight McNeil all technically better players

And all completely different players. The nearest we've got in our squad is Hendrick, and if he'd come up with us instead of Scotty he'd be given a much longer thread before being hanged.

Flicktokick

Post by Flicktokick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:42 pm

The very best part of the way SA's departure was reported was when SD said he was a boyhood Rangers fan .. If you look it up on one of the Rangers forums you will see that even the Rangers fans knew that in a 50/50 ,choice SD had somehow managed to pick the wtong club , not that they were bothered to.be fair.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:50 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Taking into account he wanted to go and didn't sign the contract offered surely you can still reach the same conclusion that we let him go.

it seems to becoming gospel now on here that is the case.
He had an offer to fulfil a boyhood dream and win stuff. Europe every season too.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 am

Flicktokick wrote:The very best part of the way SA's departure was reported was when SD said he was a boyhood Rangers fan .. If you look it up on one of the Rangers forums you will see that even the Rangers fans knew that in a 50/50 ,choice SD had somehow managed to pick the wtong club , not that they were bothered to.be fair.
But he was wasnt he?

Flicktokick

Post by Flicktokick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:44 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:But he was wasnt he?
Er .. in a word

No

But in the style of most professional players I don't think he finds it to be unduly important ...

Flicktokick

Post by Flicktokick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 am

IanMcL wrote:He had an offer to fulfil a boyhood dream and win stuff. Europe every season too.
Aye of course he did n the same way that young Clarets dreamt of playing for Rovers in the 90s :lol: ..

Professionals have a different mindset of course several prominent Rangers players were brought up as hoops and vice versa and none but the most rabid cares these days which is as it should be ...

I was just making the point that sometimes all that is reported is not quite the reality and I'll leave it at that.

Just because people keep repeating something doesn't make it true

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:33 am

Kenny Dalglish was a huge Rangers fan as a boy, turned out reasonably OK for him at Celtic, I seem to recall ...