Who's Going Out of the League?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Who's Going Out of the League?

Post by ontario claret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:55 am

This is the question that always intrigues me most, probably because it's always somebody different every year. Looks like Notts County for sure. What a bunch of knobs, and little ones at that. Sorry, that's their chairman. But they're in a horrible mess. And is this the year that Morecombe finally end up where they belong? Should all be very interesting.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Who's Going Out of the League?

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 am

County is one of the original 12-only 10 left if they go.

Flicktokick
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Flicktokick » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 am

Less Mr D.

If you ever want to annoy a Stoke fan,as indeed you might in your part of the world, they resigned in 1908 went bankrupt and only returned in 1919 after playing in the Birmingham League and the Southern League ...

Same club as the original one or a different club reformed ? .No idea technically but it is an often forgotten fact that they were not constant members of the League in the same way as the other 10 ...

(I don't count the Accrington ..Accrington Stanley ..Accrington Stanley 1968 myth obviously )
This user liked this post: mdd2

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 am

If Notts County get relegated, that would leave Preston as the only constant members of the Football League since its inception.
This user liked this post: mdd2

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 am

Be a real shame for Notts County and football in general.

Dreadful mismanagement and another nod to what might have happened. Some big clubs have gone down in recent years - many never returning.

Chesterfield (ok not a big club, but one we have played plenty - and lost to) look to be going down again.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 am

thatdberight wrote:If Notts County get relegated, that would leave Preston as the only constant members of the Football League since its inception.
That comment didn’t go unnoticed. A good point, although I personally class the Premier League and EFL as one in terms of League football. That could be a great quiz question though.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

thatdberight wrote:If Notts County get relegated, that would leave Preston as the only constant members of the Football League since its inception.
Yeah, good point. Didn't even cross my mind until you posted that, when we got promoted at Wembley it meant we'd be leaving the football league for the first time in 121 years (although coming very close in '87).

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 am

I’m enjoying the swing back to the North through the last years. For too long the South has been on the rise and now the tide is turning.
Leeds followed by Sheff Utd, Norwich, Derby, Boro & WBA should see off any Southern challenge. Looks like Bolton are letting us down but if they are joined by Ipswich and Reading it’s not all bad
Div1 is not so good news with Luton & Pompey leading the way. Sunderland could get there yet and if Barnsley could back them up by winning the playoffs itks two-one to the North. Really need BradfordC & Rochdale to pick up for rest of the season at the bottom end.
Lincoln look nailed on for the title with Bury playing too well to miss out. Mansfield and Carlisle, via the playoffs, would complete a good set. Not looking good at the bottom of that division but if Orient mess up they could be replaced by two Northern teams anyway.
Bottom of league5 is all Southern but for Chesterfied. More good news.
Bring football home.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am

piston broke wrote:I’m enjoying the swing back to the North through the last years. For too long the South has been on the rise and now the tide is turning.
Leeds followed by Sheff Utd, Norwich, Derby, Boro & WBA should see off any Southern challenge. Looks like Bolton are letting us down but if they are joined by Ipswich and Reading it’s not all bad
Div1 is not so good news with Luton & Pompey leading the way. Sunderland could get there yet and if Barnsley could back them up by winning the playoffs itks two-one to the North. Really need BradfordC & Rochdale to pick up for rest of the season at the bottom end.
Lincoln look nailed on for the title with Bury playing too well to miss out. Mansfield and Carlisle, via the playoffs, would complete a good set. Not looking good at the bottom of that division but if Orient mess up they could be replaced by two Northern teams anyway.
Bottom of league5 is all Southern but for Chesterfied. More good news.
Bring football home.
Not sure where you think Norwich is but I would class that as fairly Southern.

Edit just read the whole thing now. I get what you mean about more northern than southern teams now. *facepalm emoji*

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:34 am

Goobs wrote:Not sure where you think Norwich is but I would class that as fairly Southern.

Edit just read the whole thing now. I get what you mean about more northern than southern teams now. *facepalm emoji*
If I could pick the three I’d have SheffU, Boro & Derby but lifes not fair.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 am

Flicktokick wrote:Less Mr D.

If you ever want to annoy a Stoke fan,as indeed you might in your part of the world, they resigned in 1908 went bankrupt and only returned in 1919 after playing in the Birmingham League and the Southern League ...

Same club as the original one or a different club reformed ? .No idea technically but it is an often forgotten fact that they were not constant members of the League in the same way as the other 10 ...

(I don't count the Accrington ..Accrington Stanley ..Accrington Stanley 1968 myth obviously )
Never knew that. Thanks for the info.
Also like the post re PNE

Flicktokick
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Flicktokick » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am

..new forum ID .. I'd love to comment on todays goings on but sadly I can't as you may appreciate .. say hello to Mr G for me when you see him ;)