Mike Rigg

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Mike Rigg

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:19 pm

I suspect the Adams deal is a Rigg one - didn't he say he was looking at a 22year old soon after he started - the Crouch one (which I am not happy with) sounds more like SD giving in to Vokes wanting more game time and repaying his loyalty over the years. Club should come first though

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:19 pm

Stayingup wrote:He needs time. This window is always dreadful too. He will come good with time.

Why do you think that we are trading Vokes for Crouch? Seperate transfers is what we are being told. Not connected except that the playere happen to be swapping clubs.

I said...

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32401 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Yes I am....ONE potential deal. I know he hasnt been here long but surely he has a list of players he felt would help. I felt at the time that this role was much needed and felt Mike Rigg was the right man out of the candidates. I am just seeing it as a pointless role now as whilst MG is at the helm we are never going to take a risk. Well except the risk of being low on numbers in key areas and deciding to cross our fingers and hope we dont get an injury in that position.
So basing the appointment of someone on one deal - a bit like judging the performance of a player on one pass.

I'm intrigued that you felt Rigg was the right man from the candidates. Who were the candidates? Nothing was ever made public so I assume you must know.

MG not taking a risk? Are you sure it's him and not the manager? I wouldn't be quite so sure.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm

I was sat in on the interviews and we definitely promised Mike Rigg money to sign whoever he wants regardless of what the manager said.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:47 pm

So Rigg has been working on a deal for Adams which included loaning him back to Birmingham which wouldn’t have been possible, brilliant

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:48 pm

According to CT recruitment is only part of the role of Mr Rigg

Given the panic buys during the last few days of the summer window you would have thought our existing recruitment team (from that time) would have learnt a lesson and began looking for potential Jan players from the 1st September - and that any discussions from 1st Sept onwards included the manager

I assume they met with Rigg on his appointment and briefed him on current situations they were looking at. They are all still in a job as far as I am aware so presume Rigg was happy with their work

My point is Rigg may only have been in the building a few months but the rest of them should have been able to pass on names other than Crouch

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Right to answer my own question nah questions he is our new head man on players being signed...thanks very much SWC for my answer oh really not at all any time :D

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6846 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 pm

Mike Rigor Mortis
These 2 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret Belgianclaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:41 pm

He would do well on Pointless!

Claretpundit
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Claretpundit » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 pm

Everything the clarets do is dominated by doing everything as cheaply as possible. The replacement for a decent PL striker with a free 38 year old signing that is not a regular in a championship side is as cheap as it comes. Why not save some more money and dispense with the services of Mike Rigg. If he hasn't been given any money to work with its hard to see what he can bring to the party.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2332 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 pm

Claretpundit wrote:Everything the clarets do is dominated by doing everything as cheaply as possible. The replacement for a decent PL striker with a free 38 year old signing that is not a regular in a championship side is as cheap as it comes. Why not save some more money and dispense with the services of Mike Rigg. If he hasn't been given any money to work with its hard to see what he can bring to the party.
I would be interested to learn what you'd have posted when we signed Sam Vokes in the first place ?

In the January window, Clubs under threat of potential relegation don't want to sell their better players ...
In the January window, Clubs pushing for European spots and play-off places don't want to sell their better players ..
In the January window, this leaves Clubs who are struggling financially, Clubs who want to offload a problem " Birds, booze or bookies " player, or Clubs, with their knowledge of a player, receiving an offer they consider above their valuation, and who'll snap your hand off !!

Let's get next Summer's window over with, before we even attempt to judge Mr Rigg !! ;)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 pm

Bedtime!

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 pm

joey13 wrote:So Rigg has been working on a deal for Adams which included loaning him back to Birmingham which wouldn’t have been possible, brilliant
To be fair to the bloke he seems to have a problem with the sometimes puzzling elements of FFP.

In his relatively short employment term with Fulham his recruitment resulted in them experiencing the harsh impact of a transfer embargo for breaching the FFP rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36312192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My bigger worry is the Summer window. He has a demonstrated history of shipping out a large number of players and then bringing in a large number of flaky transfers that are more to his liking, which unsettles the squad as a whole.

That is what he did at QPR and he did the same thing at Fulham. He seems to enjoy wholesale squad reconstructions with a penchant for old cloggers with experience.

After the job is done the unfortunate club have to toil with the reapers harvest and then they get rid of him as the first step towards reparing the damage. Off he goes back to the FA or another periphery football job and then he resurfaces after a year or two and repeats the process at another club.

I can only hope that Sean is strong enough, and his own position is secure enough, to keep Rigg in line over changes to our squad. Garlick is number one, but if Sean's position is weakened and Rigg assumes the number two mantle we could be in for a rocky ride, unless he has learned from his mistakes at both QPR and Fulham and he is now ready to embrace a "stronger together" approach with more than words.

If we get relegated we could be well and truly screwed.

This window was an important opportunity for us to strengthen our squad, ensure our chance of survival and reduce the workload for the Summer window. We have responded to it by weakening our squad, reducing our chance of survival and increasing the Summer workload.

dsr
Been Liked: 4572 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:16 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:I can only hope that Sean is strong enough, and his own position is secure enough, to keep Rigg in line over changes to our squad. Garlick is number one, but if Sean's position is weakened and Rigg assumes the number two mantle we could be in for a rocky ride, unless he has learned from his mistakes at both QPR and Fulham and he is now ready to embrace a "stronger together" approach with more than words.
I would be amazed if Sean Dyche doesn't have the final say over anything Mike Rigg does. If Rigg wants to sell half a dozen first team members, and Dyche doesn't want him to, then they won't go.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 am

Clarets4me wrote:In the January window, Clubs under threat of potential relegation don't want to sell their better players .....
You want to think again about that argument?

If you’re unclear about where you’ve gone wrong just check the league table and see where we are, then think about the player we sold yesterday.

Nice Petard you’ve got there. Shame you’ve hoisted yourself by it.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:29 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:This window was an important opportunity for us to strengthen our squad, ensure our chance of survival and reduce the workload for the Summer window. We have responded to it by weakening our squad, reducing our chance of survival and increasing the Summer workload.
The odds for us to be relegated lengthened yesterday.
Socrates wrote:
You want to think again about that argument?

If you’re unclear about where you’ve gone wrong just check the league table and see where we are, then think about the player we sold yesterday.

Nice Petard you’ve got there. Shame you’ve hoisted yourself by it.
Sam Vokes wasn't one of our better players.

alpo
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by alpo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 am

If crouch fits the profile of what we are looking for, the profile is wrong. He might turn out to be inspired but that'll be luck not design.

I presume we got him as part of some government scrapped scheme when we traded in vokes.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 am

Maybe che adams was riggs target after all and dyche didnt think he was worth the 12 million who knows

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 am

At the start of next season I'll still be watching and supporting Burnley regardless of Division, Manager, Chairman, Head of Recruitment and Players.

Just saying...

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 am

Reecey1987 wrote:Maybe che adams was riggs target after all and dyche didnt think he was worth the 12 million who knows
12m was offered and rejected. Would 15m have done it? We won't know

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:18 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:12m was offered and rejected. Would 15m have done it? We won't know
We most likely structured it wrong or dyche didnt think he was worth going any higher if he was riggs target

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 am

Some of you probably think we should employ this bloke as head of recruitment

https://youtu.be/u8L3OHbhpXU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 am

Tall Paul wrote:Sam Vokes wasn't one of our better players.
Aye, alright then.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:07 am

Socrates wrote:Aye, alright then.
He'd have been starting games if he was.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 am

Tall Paul wrote:He'd have been starting games if he was.
Absolute wham.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:55 am

Socrates wrote:Absolute wham.

Jesus.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am

Socrates wrote:Absolute wham.
A detailed and well constructed argument there.

It's not "wham" though (whatever that means). If he's one of our better players why isn't he starting?

dsr
Been Liked: 4572 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:46 pm

alpo wrote:If crouch fits the profile of what we are looking for, the profile is wrong. He might turn out to be inspired but that'll be luck not design.

I presume we got him as part of some government scrapped scheme when we traded in vokes.
That's carrying self-belief to a new level.

Part 1, "I am right and Dyche is wrong", is ambitious enough. But part 2, "even if Crouch is a wonderful signing I am still right and Dyche is just lucky" - :shock:

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm

he has not earned his money to date.

Two signings.

One 38 year old
and
One wrong coloured robot!

Marvellous!

alpo

Post by alpo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Dyche is a good manager and if he succeeds in turning round this season to escape the drop, he'll go up in my estimation. But he isn't always right and often there's no definitive proof either way.

As a club, we should be looking for better than crouch and take a chance on younger players rather than him. I can see the logic of like for like but it's not what you'd set out to do on 1st Jan. Prepared to be proved wrong but his recent record doesn't look great.1 goal in 23.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:42 pm

alpo wrote:Dyche is a good manager and if he succeeds in turning round this season to escape the drop, he'll go up in my estimation. But he isn't always right and often there's no definitive proof either way.

As a club, we should be looking for better than crouch and take a chance on younger players rather than him. I can see the logic of like for like but it's not what you'd set out to do on 1st Jan. Prepared to be proved wrong but his recent record doesn't look great.1 goal in 23.
You could argue it was Dyche who put us in this mess by signing Hart and being too stubborn to change it for half a season when it clearly wasn't working?

alpo

Post by alpo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Dyche is a good manager and if he succeeds in turning round this season to escape the drop, he'll go up in my estimation. But he isn't always right and often there's no definitive proof either way.