The balance sheet

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: The balance sheet

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 pm

MACCA wrote:I am a football fan, just Burnley really though.
Always want them to win whether I'm there or not.

Why what business am I supporting and how.

What's Barclays got to do with anything?

Like I've mentioned a thousand and one times, I don't agree with the people who make the decisions, and/or the decisions they make.
Doesn't mean I support Burnley less, just means my opinions on some people and the way certain things are done are very low

But as long a season tickets are frozen again, ( which benefits every fan by the way ) everything else is accepted, and all's well.
And the world keeps spinning.
Macca mate I was being ironic. Not suggesting for a second you're not a proper fan, I'm certain you are, it's just my overly hyperbolic way of saying some fans seem to think anything is okay as long as we have loads of money and that just grates on me somewhat.

Nothing pesonal bud, nothing ever is with me. It's just that my hatred and contempt for the money in football these days knows no bounds. I still love the game and Burnley Football Club but I have started to waver because no-one will ever convince me any footballer is worth even 50k per week let alone the stupid money paid to the bigger names, fans have to pay through the nose to help fund this even though most of it comes from the dreaded Sky, no business in the world that I know of pays such a huge percentage of it's income out in wages, I simply cannot get my head around it. And it's all lead to overkill in terms of promotion and media presentaion. There is far too much football on TV, making it all a tad tedious rather than something exceptional to look forward to. It has all become about money and the big clubs all wanting an ever bigger slice of the TV pie so we have all these live games to make the big clubs (and Sky) plenty of money.

Ah well, never mind, the world keeps turning as you say and nothing I think really makes any difference. My only promise is that the first million pound per week footballer will probably see me saying sod it I'm off to the non-leagues. Ha ha!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If Crouch for Vokes is the sum total of our transfer business this month and we end up going down we are going to look extremely stupid.
It'll depend if we stay up or go down I suppose.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm

dsr wrote:We are doing well because of the players on the pitch. The players on the pitch were signed precisely because of our recruitment policy.
The majority of the players on the pitch were signed by previous members of our recruitment team.

It should also be taken into account that our current recruitment team have had the benefit of the work done by those who have left, in terms of knowledge gathered and targets added to our shopping list. As time moves on the database becomes outdated and it needs to be refreshed with new content.

The current members of our recruitment team are only directly responsible for the most recent transfer windows, which have been considerably less inspiring.

ClaretShaun
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by ClaretShaun » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm

dsr wrote:It seems odd that a club which continually has disastrous transfer windows, or so we are told, is doing so well. There are only two reasonable conclusions that I can come to:

1 - transfer windows don't make much difference to the success of the club.
2 - the windows haven't been so disastrous after all.

Either way, it's hardly worth getting so worked up about.

I know people object to the Orient game being mentioned, but honestly, after 30+ years of watching Burnley FC, I find it hard to get worked up over how badly it is alleged we are doing.
It all genuinely embarrasing how either babyish or numptyish some posters are. Living very sad lives.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:03 pm

I’ll remember to quote the people on here after the disappointing summer we will have, whichever that league is in.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:07 pm

dsr wrote:It seems odd that a club which continually has disastrous transfer windows, or so we are told, is doing so well. There are only two reasonable conclusions that I can come to:

1 - transfer windows don't make much difference to the success of the club.
2 - the windows haven't been so disastrous after all.

Either way, it's hardly worth getting so worked up about.

I know people object to the Orient game being mentioned, but honestly, after 30+ years of watching Burnley FC, I find it hard to get worked up over how badly it is alleged we are doing.
Congratulations in getting the Orient game in , but I’d already called house with we are Burnley not Barcelona

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm

houseboy wrote:Macca mate My only promise is that the first million pound per week footballer will probably see me saying sod it I'm off to the non-leagues. Ha ha!
I remember thinking along the same lines when beer went up to 25p a pint (a five bob pint!) and a gallon of petrol went up to £1. :)
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:05 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:I remember thinking along the same lines when beer went up to 25p a pint (a five bob pint!) and a gallon of petrol went up to £1. :)
Ha ha yeah. I'll probably still be there watching when it happens.