Pull your head out of your...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
_Soclaretes_
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Pull your head out of your...

Post by _Soclaretes_ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 am

Honestly, the amount of rubbish being spouted by Burnley fans at the moment is insane. I'm not one of the more die hard fans but even I can remember the days of playing Division 3 football and being laughed at by every Blackburn fan I met.

Now we have one poor start to the season and people completely go off on one.

"Let's face it, this is a season to forget."

REALLY? We're still playing at the highest level in my lifetime and win, draw or lose I am immensely proud of it.

"Crouch is a disgrace of a signing, sack dyche, sack the board etc. etc."

Don't forget that this is the manager and board who have managed to keep us in the green and playing in the premier league for 3 consecutive seasons. It may not be as easy or as pretty as you can do it on FIFA but if you're whinging at being a Claret un this day and age you need to pull your head out of your Rs
These 2 users liked this post: BennyD DocFoster

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Re: Pull your head out of your...

Post by Dyched » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 am

Head out my R?

This isn’t a pirate convention chuck

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:20 am

Hello. We’ve swapped vokes for crouch.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 am

Garnerssoap wrote:Hello. We’ve swapped vokes for crouch.
Vokes wanted to go. We talked to Birmingham and Southampton (allegedly) about replacement strikers. Brum wanted to sell and loan back but their transfer embargo prevented them from doing so and they didn't want to sell because they are on the fringe of the promotion race. Who knows whether there was ever any mileage in the Austin deal but it left us, with the deadline approaching fast and a striker who was ready to sign for someone else, needing to sign a player who could play a part in keeping us in the Premier League. Those sorts of players are not deep on the ground, especially ones we could afford and have the right attitude, so we took a chance on a player who has done it all before.

Whether he turns out to be an inspired short-term signing like Ian Wright or Andy Cole or a waste of time such as Flanagan or Gascoigne remains to be seen.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 am

"Butt" what did you expect? Everybody is never "behind" both the manager or the board. There are always malingerers pulling up the "rear".

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:04 am

_Soclaretes_ wrote:I'm not one of the more die hard fans but even I can remember the days of playing Division 3 football and being laughed at by every Blackburn fan I met
or because you were one (like me) of those who watched us in the depths you would prefer that the club actually tried to show further progress and ambition

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 am

How much further progress can we make when we are up against the spending power of most of the other clubs in the Premier? Let's face it, we aren't even mid table Championship club when it comes to finance these days. Also, if we go down we'll start losing money hand over fist and some of us will be thankful we didn't go mad when we had some. Wise up, football is now a business not a sport and, personally, I trust the board to run this business better than some of the 'FIFA managers' on here.
This user liked this post: SlidingTackle

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 am

BennyD wrote:How much further progress can we make when we are up against the spending power of most of the other clubs in the Premier? Let's face it, we aren't even mid table Championship club when it comes to finance these days.

I don't buy this about our spending power, we have been getting Prem. money now for a number of seasons and it will be also be financially damaging for us if we are relegated because of the lack of ambition or any positive transfer business, as a whole. As you can see from the players the teams around us bought, you don't have to spend fortunes to strengthen. Even a few loans may have helped. Too many people on here are implying that we are asking them to spend fortunes, we aren't, just some reasonable strengthening to help maintain Prem. status and move forward as a club.

The problem is the teams around us have strengthened once again.

Overall I want to give Crouch a chance, but feel we let a better player go and there are other areas of the team we really needed to strengthen.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:44 am

BennyD wrote:How much further progress can we make when we are up against the spending power of most of the other clubs in the Premier? Let's face it, we aren't even mid table Championship club when it comes to finance these days. Also, if we go down we'll start losing money hand over fist and some of us will be thankful we didn't go mad when we had some. Wise up, football is now a business not a sport and, personally, I trust the board to run this business better than some of the 'FIFA managers' on here.
If football is now a business then we’re pretty ******** at it yeah?

You happy clappers need to go to extreme lengths tontry and make a point.

Nobody is expecting to compete with everybody. But I’m sure (don’t quote me on this) that on this sphere that we call planet earth there are footballers in between the ability of Perer Crouch and Higuain.

What has happened to buying younger players? Trippier, Mee, Tarkowski, Keane, Gibson. Is it that Sean Dyche can’t identify a player? Possibly. Afterall 2 of those mentioned he didn’t signed and the ones he did had already made an impression in the Championship. Secondly there all defenders.

There are 92 football clubs in the Professional game in England.

France, Germany, Italy, Spain the rest of europe is a short flight away. Several leagues in several countrys. Why the hell ain’t we looking? And before you say there are inly so many Kantes and Mayrezs I know. But there are 1000s of young players good enough out there. Now you’ll want me to name names. That’s not my job. If BFC want to give me a salary then I’ll and watch games for them. I’ll make scout reports. I’ll report back.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 am

Well, it was s short flight away prior to Brexit.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:00 am

They should scrap the transfer window.
Unfortunately modern fans see deadline day as a big event, where they should be excited by the club signing players. It doesn't matter who they are and wether or not they fit in, and when we don't they act like kids who didn't get any toys for Xmas.
We had a terrible start, with Dyche having to constantly shuffle the starting line up. We finally have some continuity in the side and we look like a team again. Perhaps the club didn't want to risk ruining that by bringing in a few mercenaries on 80k a week.
Call me a happy clapper all you like, but I'd rather have Dyche and our board at the club, than some of the W anchors who are enquiring about cancelling their season tickets on Twitter
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 am

Worth mentioning that the chances are those who are moaning about cancelling their season tickets on twitter won't actually have one or wouldn't dream of getting one if we were not in the premier league.
This user liked this post: Damo

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 am

"on't forget that this is the manager and board who have managed to keep us in the green and playing in the premier league"

Surely that should read playing on the green or keep us in the black. :) :) :)

Other than that I agree with the OP sentiment

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am

I think it's time to stop with the 'we were in division 4'.
I know it means we can enjoy these times, but it's got to stop, we've been in or around this point for 10 years. This league or the one down for 20 years!
How can we carry on about 'where we are'.

I was brought up with us in the 4th division - always told how we were one of the best teams in the country when our parents were young.
Should I keep telling my lad how we are actually crap because we used to be in a lower league?

There's now more time elapsed between now and the Orient game, than the Orient game and winning the league.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 am

JTClaret wrote:I think it's time to stop with the 'we were in division 4'.
I know it means we can enjoy these times, but it's got to stop, we've been in or around this point for 10 years. This league or the one down for 20 years!
How can we carry on about 'where we are'.

I was brought up with us in the 4th division - always told how we were one of the best teams in the country when our parents were young.
Should I keep telling my lad how we are actually crap because we used to be in a lower league?

There's now more time elapsed between now and the Orient game, than the Orient game and winning the league.
I couldn't agree more. I was there sat behind the goal when Hereford spanked us 6-0. I was one of the hardy on our lowest ever attendance. I was at the Orient game. I have seen the bad times.
This should not be an excuse for us to dream small. We are now in one of if not the biggest league in the world. I totally understand we cannot bet the ranch..i don't expect us to go out willy nilly and throw money about at luxury flair players but we are being needlessly and excessively frugal. This small team, small town mentality has to stop.
This user liked this post: JTClaret

Adrianthepostman
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 212 times

Post by Adrianthepostman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 am

Crouch

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 am

Damo wrote:They should scrap the transfer window.
Unfortunately modern fans see deadline day as a big event, where they should be excited by the club signing players. It doesn't matter who they are and wether or not they fit in, and when we don't they act like kids who didn't get any toys for Xmas.
We had a terrible start, with Dyche having to constantly shuffle the starting line up. We finally have some continuity in the side and we look like a team again. Perhaps the club didn't want to risk ruining that by bringing in a few mercenaries on 80k a week.
Call me a happy clapper all you like, but I'd rather have Dyche and our board at the club, than some of the W anchors who are enquiring about cancelling their season tickets on Twitter
Well said!