What if we just sold Vokes?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

What if we just sold Vokes?

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 am

Would fans of seen it as good business and a decent sale if we just got 9 mil for Vokes after many were saying he was valued around 5 mil not too long ago.

So if we offloaded Vokes for an 8 mil+ profit with no Crouch deal then would it have been a decent coup?

Maybe Dyche thinks Vydra is now settled and we still have other strikers at the club. We also now have an experienced head in the team who could probably teach our other strikers a fair bit just as Robinson and Barton would have. Can’t be a coincidence that bringing in Barton made all our midfield more astute and Robinson coming in helped our keepers also. We’ve had Reid and Walters in recently but neither were prolific or more than decent players... Crouch has/had that “it factor” which will surely help our team if not only our other strikers to develop.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Re: What if we just sold Vokes?

Post by gtclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:12 am

No selling a required squad player without adequate replacement whilst we are in a relegation battle is crazy, signing a 38 Yr old has been from an average championship side is not an adequate replacement.
We should not be talking about money, we should not need to sell.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:17 am

gtclaret wrote:No selling a required squad player without adequate replacement whilst we are in a relegation battle is crazy, signing a 38 Yr old has been from an average championship side is not an adequate replacement.
Which is why I said about having other players to cover. We have Vydra and Agyei to an extent to cover Vokes spot on the bench of late. We sold our current 3rd choice (would probably have been 4th choice had Vydra settled earlier than it seems) striker for a decent amount of money to a team not in competition with us .....

Replaced him with a player that can take his bench spot and play 15/20 mins as Vokes did and has been proven in the prem over many years to pop up with a few goals (even if he’s 38).

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:27 am

gtclaret wrote:No selling a required squad player without adequate replacement whilst we are in a relegation battle is crazy, signing a 38 Yr old has been from an average championship side is not an adequate replacement.
But if that player no longer wanted to play for your club and you could get £10m plus a decent striker for three months for him would you not not take it?

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:32 am

tybfc wrote:But if that player no longer wanted to play for your club and you could get £10m plus a decent striker for three months for him would you not not take it?
In the previous 2 seasons

- Vokes has participated in 67 Prem games and scored 14 goals and had 4 assists.

- Crouch has participated in 58 Prem games and scored 12 goals with 4 assists.

I don’t get what’s really that bad that a lot of people are seeing in terms of filling the gap left by Vokes til summer when prices aren’t silly.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:42 am

bfccrazy wrote:We have Agyei to cover
Comparing Agyei to Vokes is like comparing Sordell to Messi
This user liked this post: whiffa

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 am

Agyei.

I’ll be very surprised if Dan Agyei makes it at this football club.

Barring him leaving and somehow circumstances arise where he is repurchased, I just don’t see it. McNeil and Dunne are the prospects, Agyei isn’t on their level. Koiki I’d regard as ahead of him too. Very very few academy players make it to the first team at even the most elite youth setups in England. He’s 21, by now the signs should be there as young as that may be.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 am

bfccrazy wrote:
. We also now have an experienced head in the team who could probably teach our other strikers a fair bit just as Robinson and Barton would have.
That is a valid point. Hadn't really thought of it like that. Hope you're right.

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:53 am

tybfc wrote:But if that player no longer wanted to play for your club and you could get £10m plus a decent striker for three months for him would you not not take it?
The interest of the club come absolutely first. If we had 10 more points I would understand it. Vokes wasn't so far down the pecking ordo, it was highly likely that he would have still made several appearances between now and the end of the season. The£10m should not be a factor, Vokes will still have a value at the end of the season the defence will be small compared to the money we have. The club has rolled the dice, in the most stupid fashion, we might be lucky, I hope we are,.
I also ask you to consider this, over the last year we have lost Brady Defour Lennon and Ward through injury and not likely to fully return this season, we have released Marney and Arfield, that's six players and we have just McNeil to replace them. This brings back memories of the awful Bob Lord era in the 1970s when the purse strings were pulled so tight we ended io in Division 3.He was using the Clubs money to fund his business
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin Spike

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 am

Roosterbooster wrote:Comparing Agyei to Vokes is like comparing Sordell to Messi
We also have Wells, Vydra and now Crouch if needed as back up. Crouch’ stats are just as good as Vokes in the prem over the past couple of years also.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:00 am

Who said he was worth £5m? I don't remember many people of that opinion.

He must have really been pushing for a move as £8m is very low when you look at the fees for the likes of Kodija or what West Brom wanted for Rodriguez (Vokes' recent record is probably better than either of those two).

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:37 am

SGr wrote:Agyei.

I’ll be very surprised if Dan Agyei makes it at this football club.

Barring him leaving and somehow circumstances arise where he is repurchased, I just don’t see it. McNeil and Dunne are the prospects, Agyei isn’t on their level. Koiki I’d regard as ahead of him too. Very very few academy players make it to the first team at even the most elite youth setups in England. He’s 21, by now the signs should be there as young as that may be.
I think his lack of opportunity is more down to having senior pro's above him who are doing what we want of them. Difficult I know, had we been in a League below he could have been tried a bit more and moved on by now.

He's still doing well with the Development squad I believe which can only be good news.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:38 am

Roosterbooster wrote:Comparing Agyei to Vokes is like comparing Sordell to Messi
So what are you suggesting, Messi is better than Marvin? :lol:

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:54 am

I think this could turn out to bea good bit of business, Vokes was getting slower and slower and started to miss sitters in the box this year.

Hopefully we have identified the younger pacy striker we need for the summer window. Don’t think Vokes will make the difference between relegation and staying up anyhow.

I think someone mentioned £7m + would be a good deal a little while ago ! ;)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:I think this could turn out to bea good bit of business, Vokes was getting slower and slower and started to miss sitters in the box this year.

Hopefully we have identified the younger pacy striker we need for the summer window. Don’t think Vokes will make the difference between relegation and staying up anyhow.

I think someone mentioned £7m + would be a good deal a little while ago ! ;)
The only sitters I have seen missed recently are from Ashley Barnes. The one at Watford is the worst miss I have seen in years.

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm

gtclaret wrote: We should not be talking about money, we should not need to sell.
He wanted game time and wanted to leave. Not much we could do about it unfortunately in this day and age.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Absolute steal selling him for 10 million which is what deal will come to eventually with bonuses

In meantime we get Big Pete to fill the bench

You can all start complaint if by the end of the summer transfer window we haven’t spent big on a striker

Until then get behind Crouch and enjoy

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by criminalclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 pm

The Messi of Northampton as he's known
This user liked this post: Roosterbooster

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by criminalclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:48 pm

It's not a bad dead all round for both clubs. As I pointed out, we sold Vokes who was contracted to us for nearly another 3 years. We get big Pete off Stoke's books onto ours for only 3 months. If we stay up, that money HAS to be used in the summer to strengthen, there's no way about it.

Sam has been an excellent player for us and will be sadly missed, but he wants to play every week and score goals and he can't do that here. I'm sure he will be banging them in season after season for the Potters.

My only frustration from this window not signing is a experienced creative mid. McNeil has shone in the role so far but struggles to get 90 in. Defour is probably done and dusted in that role with his injuries and lack of fitness since he started and i can't see him becoming a Barton talisman anytime soon. Brady still coming into form after that nasty injury.

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 pm

I just hope that we get 6 points from the next 2 game and we are lucky with injuries and Brady, Defour return to form in order to give SD options and Vidra finds his feet. A lot of hopes there, we are going to need it

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm

I would say that the use we had for Sam Vokes lately, can be effectively done by Peter Crouch.

I wish them both well.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:17 pm

There should only be two credible reasons for what happened yesterday.

1. We were desperate for the money.
2. We were desperate for a forward, any forward.

None of which stack up and that's why it's so baffling.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 pm

complete and utter stupidity to weaken our squad when we are in the position we are in.

We would have not got less for Vokes in the summer, we had no reason to sell.
could have had the conversation with Sam saying we would sell him if he wished in the summer

To not buy anyone when we aren't safe is madness!

Adrianthepostman
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 212 times

Post by Adrianthepostman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Crouchless

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Vokes wanted out.
Now let that sink in.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:There should only be two credible reasons for what happened yesterday.

1. We were desperate for the money.
2. We were desperate for a forward, any forward.

None of which stack up and that's why it's so baffling.
How about a nice touch from Dyche to let go an excellent servant to the club so he can get game time at a club not too far away.In a deal that he wanted.

He was surplus to requirements once Crouch was secured.Without crouch incoming he would have stayed.
We now have a like for like except crouch scores and assists.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Surely we could of asked Vokes to just give us till the summer? If he was that fed up he couldn't face being here for another 4 months then maybe our famous "team spirit" isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:58 pm

If, and it's big if, we sign someone in the summer the Vokes/Crouch transfer will be viewed as a good piece of business.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Tinribs wrote:
He was surplus to requirements once Crouch was secured.Without crouch incoming he would have stayed.
We now have a like for like except crouch scores and assists.

I can only imagine that you've been drinking, and heavily.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:42 pm

The more I think about it the more I think this could turn into a fantastic signing. As fans the majority of us me included want big signings. The more I think about how SD operates the more I think he is trying to emulate the Moneyball book. He looks at the stats for that position and seems to pick up these players no one really wants at a cheap price. Look at Bardsley he does what we need....no more no less. He has obviously identified that late on in games we need to better hold up the ball in the opposition half to kill time, Crouch is much better than Vokes at this. Also winning headers late on, Vokes was good but Crouch is better. He also mentioned sprints, again Crouch is faster than Vokes. For what we require a Centre forward to do in the last 20 mins of a game Crouch is better than Vokes

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Caballo wrote:If, and it's big if, we sign someone in the summer the Vokes/Crouch transfer will be viewed as a good piece of business.
If we stay up, we will have got away with it, if its achieved by the odd Crouch goal, it will be seen as a success, if we go down and either Wood or Barnes were injured, this gamble failed. We cannot see the future, we work on probabilities, on paper this move is utterly crazy.. With regards to Vokes wishes, he is a professional under contract and the interests on BFC comes first
This user liked this post: summitclaret

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:51 pm

With regards to buying a striker in the summer, why does anyone think Garlick will spend money, its reported that he pulled out of the Jay Rod deal over £500k, anyone who does that never wanted to do the deal in the first place, it was a publicity stunt

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

gtclaret wrote:With regards to buying a striker in the summer, why does anyone think Garlick will spend money, its reported that he pulled out of the Jay Rod deal over £500k, anyone who does that never wanted to do the deal in the first place, it was a publicity stunt
As I said on another thread, Crouch is just a distraction. If we had “just sold Vokes” most people would be raging that the only deal we’d done this window was to sell a first team player. As it is we’re mainly talking about Crouch.

As for Vokes, leaving aside Vydra, who hasn’t made much of an impression, I saw him as one of three strikers vying for one or two starting berths, depending on the shape. At the moment, he’s the one out of favour. At the start of the season, it was Barnes out of favour, but he played his way back into the team, as Vokes has done in the past and may wel have done again if he’d stayed.

And what if one of the other two gets injured? Few of us believe Crouch is capable delivering 90 minutes.

Baffling indeed.

otto1959
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by otto1959 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 pm

bfccrazy wrote:In the previous 2 seasons

- Vokes has participated in 67 Prem games and scored 14 goals and had 4 assists.

- Crouch has participated in 58 Prem games and scored 12 goals with 4 assists.

I don’t get what’s really that bad that a lot of people are seeing in terms of filling the gap left by Vokes til summer when prices aren’t silly.

Please send me the name of the optician you buy your glasses from. I would love a pair. :D

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:18 pm

otto1959 wrote:Please send me the name of the optician you buy your glasses from. I would love a pair. :D
You’ve lost me .....

So comparing stats of 2 players over the last 2 full seasons means that I’m seeing one thing different.

Yes, he’s 38 - but up until 6 months ago he was on par with Vokes’ recent stats.

gtclaret

Post by gtclaret » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 pm

otto1959 wrote:Please send me the name of the optician you buy your glasses from. I would love a pair. :D
It wasn't me, I work 250 miles away

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:54 pm

Caballo wrote:If, and it's big if, we sign someone in the summer the Vokes/Crouch transfer will be viewed as a good piece of business.
Not if we get relegated in the mean time.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 pm

I heard that Vokes signed a contract extension so the club would get more when he left, but we'd let him leave if a club came in for him. So selling him was always going to happen - but we've brought in someone similarish (in terms of how we'll use Crouch) and made a decent amount.

All sounds pretty sensible to me, although only for the remaining 14 games.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:31 am

BurnleyFC wrote:Not if we get relegated in the mean time.
Would Sam have kept us up?

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:49 pm

JohnMac wrote:So what are you suggesting, Messi is better than Marvin? :lol:
Controversial, I know!

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Sam missed a pen!

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm

charlyt wrote:Sam missed a pen!
At least he had one to miss.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:59 pm

charlyt wrote:Sam missed a pen!
AND HIS REPLACEMENT GOT US AN ASSIST TO ONE, WHICH WE SCORED

HAPPY DAYS

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:34 pm

I was wrong - Crouch offers nothing compared to Vokes.