Laptop recommendation?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Laptop recommendation?

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:50 am

I'm looking for a laptop which will purely be used as a backup to a desktop PC, but needs to be of reasonable speed so when I take it out and about, I'm not waiting for 20 minutes for it to boot up. It won't be used for gaming, but simply used for browsing, Microsoft Office etc. So I'm sure 8GB would more than suffice. Even 4GB would probably do, providing the processor isn't 10 years old.

I'm not bothered if it's refurbished or not, just reliable but has a warranty.

As I won't use it all that much, I'm looking for a price of around £150-200 or under.

Any links/recommendations for those who know a bit about laptop hardware/specifications? Open to suggestions. I'd be looking at buying it so it's delivered tomorrow or Monday.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: Laptop recommendation?

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 am

FactualFrank wrote:I'm looking for a laptop which will purely be used as a backup to a desktop PC, but needs to be of reasonable speed so when I take it out and about, I'm not waiting for 20 minutes for it to boot up. It won't be used for gaming, but simply used for browsing, Microsoft Office etc. So I'm sure 8GB would more than suffice. Even 4GB would probably do, providing the processor isn't 10 years old.

I'm not bothered if it's refurbished or not, just reliable but has a warranty.

As I won't use it all that much, I'm looking for a price of around £150-200 or under.

Any links/recommendations for those who know a bit about laptop hardware/specifications? Open to suggestions. I'd be looking at buying it so it's delivered tomorrow or Monday.
£150-200 or under what a cheap skate :D splash out and get a proper one and consider an iPad not the small one but one of the bigger ones. Bought one a about 18 months I suppose and like you I just want it primarily for indoors when I’m not in the study.

Easy to pick up with the screen touch stuff and I haven’t looked back, never had a problem with it.

Easy to use when on the move as well, if you want to save a £100 or so on the new price then you can buy what they call a re-furnished one from your local Apple website which assuming you live within a 100 miles of Burnley at a guess would be in Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds then pick it up at one of those places.

By the way when they say re-furbished that can just mean they are unwanted presents but when retuned just have to be checked over by the Apple engineers and resold so new in fact. I never buy cheap now as found it to be false economy in the long run, certainly where computers are concerned.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:33 am

As per the OP, It'll hardly be used. Maybe once-twice a month. It's a laptop I'm after.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 am

Yes that’s what I thought but it’s surprising how more often I use mine now in the evenings now in the comfort of our living room.

whiffa
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 2597 times

Post by whiffa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Have a browse on the LaptopsDirect refurbished section, you can get a fairly decent i3 with 8Gb of RAM for between £150-£200 usually. Usually only a 30 day warranty with them though, says in the small print of each machine. Going to struggle to get anything newer than about 4-5 years old though, should be ok as a back up machine.

oldun
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by oldun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Try P3 now on Harling Street, Tel:424041. They will have something to suit you at a reasonable price plus excellent back-up service.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:43 pm

oldun wrote:Try P3 now on Harling Street, Tel:424041. They will have something to suit you at a reasonable price plus excellent back-up service.
I live in West Yorkshire, and won't be over in Burnley for a few weeks.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Fleabay, some sellers on there with warranty’s I’ve had a decent i5 toshiba with 8gb on there before for that sort of money.