A Different Angle On The Non-Penalty.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Re: A Different Angle On The Non-Penalty.

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 am

I thought Barnes showed remarkable restraint. He should have ripped the linesman's head off there and then.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 am

ClaretTony wrote:Doubt it, watch the liner, he's carrying on thinking nothing has happened and moves to the corner flag.
Strangely enough, this is exactly what ARs are told to do if he thinks it is a foul within the box which should be a penalty. However, in this case the ball was still rolling towards the goal line and being pursued by the Saints defender so the AR was moving towards the corner flag anyway so there was no clarity there one way or the other, in other words, he could well have thought that there was no decision to make.
Having watched the incident time and time again, it has just re-inforced my confusion as to just what constitutes a penalty in the modern game.

It should have been a penalty and a caution for the keeper in which case Barnes would not have gone off on one. Having said that, I can't condone Ashley's tirade at the AR and. needless to say, this will be the discussion amongst the refereeing fraternity rather than the non-award of a penalty ---even though the whole situation arose from one very poor decision amongst many ---even up to that point!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 am

duncandisorderly wrote:The only only only thing I can possibly think why the ref thinks its a dive is the odd little stutter before he gets taken out as he adjusts his feet to poke the ball past him. It possibly looks unnatural from the refs POV. Possibly. Maybe.
You're right that there is something odd in his movement but we know that Ash, for all that he's a very skilful footballer (for which he gets no credit elsewhere), does things in a very ungainly way.
That said, for all the deluded howling of the conspiracy theorists, it was just another refereeing mistake, but it was a really bad mistake.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:00 am

From Match of the Day it looks like a penalty. But, it's Ashley Barnes - does he never dive? Whether it should be taken into account or not (of course it shouldn't) our Ashley has a well deserved reputation, and that may have cost us today.

The actual penalty in fact looks like a foul by Crouch on Stephens - he's holding him down - so should have been a free kick to Southampton.

You see, it does even out!

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:54 am

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:To be honest, the linesman has got to be giving that, even if the ref does not.
He did, or didn't depending on your view.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 am

Hipper wrote:From Match of the Day it looks like a penalty. But, it's Ashley Barnes - does he never dive? Whether it should be taken into account or not (of course it shouldn't) our Ashley has a well deserved reputation, and that may have cost us today.

The actual penalty in fact looks like a foul by Crouch on Stephens - he's holding him down - so should have been a free kick to Southampton.

You see, it does even out!
Eh - Barnes has absolutely no reputation for diving. Don’t think he’s ever been pulled up for it before.

Nothing to take into account. We should have had two penalties.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 am

Lord Beamish wrote:Could the decision to book Barnes be a shot across Burnley and Sean Dyche’s boughs from a Referee fed up of listening to Dyche’s outspoken attitude towards Refs being conned by simulation?
Wouldn't explain the numerous other incorrect decisions he made, particularly in the first half. Haven't heard Dyche talk about players not getting booked for scything through their opponents, for example.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:45 am

Not the first time he has got a penalty decision completely wrong!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ooper.html

And that was against Saints too. (Perhaps he's a closet Saint?)

On that occasion, he apologised to Chelski. Likely to apologise to Ashley Barnes? Thought not !

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:45 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:Wouldn't explain the numerous other incorrect decisions he made, particularly in the first half. Haven't heard Dyche talk about players not getting booked for scything through their opponents, for example.
If you're talking about Slattery, he slipped according to MotD. I thought that was a clear yellow but if he slipped that would explain the leniency.

mickleoverclaret

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:50 pm

thatdberight wrote:If you're talking about Slattery, he slipped according to MotD. I thought that was a clear yellow but if he slipped that would explain the leniency.
Herrera got a second yellow at Old Trafford a couple of years ago for "slipping" and then clattering someone as he went down. Didn't look like a slip to me, but for me it should be a yellow either way.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:Herrera got a second yellow at Old Trafford a couple of years ago for "slipping" and then clattering someone as he went down. Didn't look like a slip to me, but for me it should be a yellow either way.
You might want people booked for slipping (I'm only reporting MotD's take). I don't.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Clarke Carlisle got sent off at Millwall for slipping. In about the 5th minute too.

mickleoverclaret

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:16 pm

thatdberight wrote:You might want people booked for slipping (I'm only reporting MotD's take). I don't.
I don't want people booked for slipping, I want people booked for scything down opponents.