How bad was this window?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

How bad was this window?

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:37 pm

In my opinion its our worse at this level.

Right in the relegation mix. Bags of cash. Spent next to nowt in summer. A big chunk of which was recovered by selling a first team player.

There was that 'Dean Marney' window. But with our experience at this level now its inexcusable imo.

To have started the season in europe and to be ending it lumping it to a 38 year old crouch to save our season is like winning the lottery and spending just a bit of it to live up stoops.

We have sold a key squad member, newly contracted to a struggling championship side. And theyve sent us another of their cast offs. (No disrespect to Crouch - who I love as a person and has been a great player down the years).

Failed to land a fellow championship striker because a skint championship side with embargos have called the shots.

To top it off this is after an awful summer window.

We might just have enough to scrape us through - or hope those below us are worse.

But we have taken a huge gamble, making a quick 6 or 7m profit at the risk of the 100m plus riches for staying in this league.

Have we had a worse window?
This user liked this post: mdd2

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Re: How bad was this window?

Post by Claretincraven » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 pm

For gods sake give it a rest.
These 4 users liked this post: Leisure Rick_Muller FactualFrank GodIsADeeJay81

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:42 pm

It’s a shame none of the rumours you made up were true.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Not as bad as this one

These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Holtyclaret

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:52 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:In my opinion its our worse at this level.

Right in the relegation mix. Bags of cash. Spent next to nowt in summer. A big chunk of which was recovered by selling a first team player.

There was that 'Dean Marney' window. But with our experience at this level now its inexcusable imo.

To have started the season in europe and to be ending it lumping it to a 38 year old crouch to save our season is like winning the lottery and spending just a bit of it to live up stoops.

We have sold a key squad member, newly contracted to a struggling championship side. And theyve sent us another of their cast offs. (No disrespect to Crouch - who I love as a person and has been a great player down the years).

Failed to land a fellow championship striker because a skint championship side with embargos have called the shots.

We might just have enough to scrape us through - or hope those below us are worse.

But we have taken a huge gamble, making a quick 6 or 7m profit at the risk of the 100m plus riches for staying in this league.

Steady on a bit, you'll have claretonthecoast1882's blood pressure going through the roof!!

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:52 pm

I agree CF and i found myself looking at how to cancel my Season Ticket of 17 years. I just cant get past the 100% fan and financial commitment to 0% from the club. before I get slated i was here in the early days too, and i will say i preferred them days too, and definitely prefer the championship to the corrupt premier league. its just a shame the prize for wining such a good league, is to be put in this corrupt league. People will point to the money, but what good has it done us? we still fish in the same pool we always have.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 pm

agreenwood wrote:It’s a shame none of the rumours you made up were true.
When Im McCleaning windows...

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 pm

ClaretAL wrote:I agree CF and i found myself looking at how to cancel my Season Ticket of 17 years. I just cant get past the 100% fan and financial commitment to 0% from the club. before I get slated i was here in the early days too, and i will say i preferred them days too, and definitely prefer the championship to the corrupt premier league. its just a shame the prize for wining such a good league, is to be put in this corrupt league. People will point to the money, but what good has it done us? we still fish in the same pool we always have.
Get a grip

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 pm

ClaretAL wrote:I agree CF and i found myself looking at how to cancel my Season Ticket of 17 years. I just cant get past the 100% fan and financial commitment to 0% from the club. before I get slated i was here in the early days too, and i will say i preferred them days too, and definitely prefer the championship to the corrupt premier league. its just a shame the prize for wining such a good league, is to be put in this corrupt league. People will point to the money, but what good has it done us? we still fish in the same pool we always have.
People still buy it. Its a joke.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 pm

“Have we had a worse window ?”

I can think of a least 60 worse transfer windows we have had. Any more stupid questions ?
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:“Have we had a worse window ?”

I can think of a least 60 worse transfer windows we have had. Any more stupid questions ?
Name them.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Name them.
Brian.

That was a bad one. Rupert wasn't great, either.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 pm

its not just about this window, its about the last 3, and Dyche isn't behind the door in telling everyone that he has to work to a model that is difficult. Why is it still difficult despite the success? Its because the Board are greedy!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Get a grip
No, no, no. Nobody in 2019 should be saying that.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:09 pm

To be realistic you have to look at the signings made by our rivals at the bottom. Were any of their windows worse than ours ?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:11 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Name them.
No.
But have a think of the number of windows when we sold our best players and brought none in.
Or maybe when I was working behind the bar in the Sparrow Hawk as a 16 year old and we signed Joe Gallagher and he limped up to the room he was staying in upstairs.
Or maybe buying Liam Robinson as our new “star centre forward “ who had hardly scored a goal for Bury
Or how does buying Leon Cort for £1.5m on a 3 year deal grab you ?
Or maybe selling our captain and best player to Luton ?

Have a word with yourself....you’ve been talking sh-ite for weeks now. You are either making sh-it up and thinking it’s hilarious like a 9 year old or tearing into the manager, team, board etc.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi cricketfield, take a look at The Times today. It's got an extensive report on the transfer window with regard to Premier League clubs.

It looks to me that the Clarets have achieved more than several others with regard to strengthening their 1st team squad.

You ask interesting questions: "worst at this level?" "Have we had a worse window?"

Well we've only been "at this level" for 5 Januarys including this one.

I'm pretty sure Jan 2010 was a lot, lot worse.

I'd also make a case that our 2nd season in the Premier League (and first under Sean Dyche) was also less successful than this one.

So, we can say "3rd best, so far" or "3rd worst" if you are a glass half empty sort of person - but if so, what on earth makes you follow the Clarets? ;)

Have a good evening. Take care (and "no fishing," please).
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:No.
But have a think of the number of windows when we sold our best players and brought none in.
Or maybe when I was working behind the bar in the Sparrow Hawk as a 16 year old and we signed Joe Gallagher and he limped up to the room he was staying in upstairs.
Or maybe buying Liam Robinson as our new “star centre forward “ who had hardly scored a goal for Bury

Have a word with yourself....you’ve been talking sh-ite for weeks now. You are either making sh-it up and thinking it’s hilarious like a 9 year old or tearing into the manager, team, board etc.
Your entitled to your opinion mate but CF is entitled to his, and I happen to agree with it. Im not sure you should be getting all angst about it, this is football and all entitled to their own view, which to be fair is what makes the game it is. I have met some fantastic fans (CT included) and also I will always be a Claret fan, but I just cant justify the expense for me and my son when the club dont have the same commitment. I often have to turn down work to attend games and my wife is in ill health so have to arrange cover when i attend a match, again I dont see the same commitment and really do feel for Dyche working in the "model" he often quotes, so i will now be back to going to the turf when I can as i did back in the 80's when Teasdale seemed to have the same approach, that I now understand how it affects a fan more than i did then. UTC NNN

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:No.

The key thing there is context.
When we bought Robinson we were in a **** place. When we signed cort we had just appointed brian bloody laws.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:35 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:The key thing there is context.
When we bought Robinson we were in a **** place. When we signed cort we had just appointed brian bloody laws.
Sorry - I thought you asked whether we have ever had a worse window ?
Context or not to say this window is the worst we have ever had is just wrong - for 99.9% of fans over the age of 5 !!
Fine for you be in the 0.1% - but just sounds like a complete over reaction to a window few of us were especially enamoured with

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:33 pm

ClaretAL wrote:I agree CF and i found myself looking at how to cancel my Season Ticket of 17 years ...
If you stop paying for it, that should work.
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile evensteadiereddie

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:42 pm

For a start, Crouch looked far more effective at the end of a game than Vokes has done when he's played recently.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr evensteadiereddie

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:41 am

Tbh the amount of bulksh1t transfer targets you said we were signing I wonder if you’re taking serious medication .
This window was always gonna be bugger all and we did cash in on Vokes . We just can’t afgord to bring in 80k a week hit n miss types

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am

AlargeClaret wrote:Tbh the amount of bulksh1t transfer targets you said we were signing I wonder if you’re taking serious medication .
This window was always gonna be bugger all and we did cash in on Vokes . We just can’t afgord to bring in 80k a week hit n miss types
the window was awful but
Imagine how bad it wouldve been without Toure, McClean, Allen and Fraser Forster... :)

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Don't worry, We will be taken over in the next 18 months, unless we are relegated.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:27 pm

ClaretAL wrote:we still fish in the same pool we always have.
but have much more bait! ;)

UTC

:D

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:24 pm

If we go down, it’ll be difficult to see past the fact that we basically failed to strengthen the first XI in either window as one of the main reasons.

It’s intersting that Dyche used to talk regularly about the journey we were on and the importance of making incremental progress. It wasn’t just talk either. We really looked like we’d evolved heading into Christmas 2017. Then we picked up some key injuries and things became more attritional again. You don’t hear Dyche talk in those terms so much this season and I sense he feels we’ve gone a bit stale.

Hopefully we’ll survive and make a better fist of the summer window. We’re unlikely to be able to rely on the same first XI for much longer.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

TBF as a member of the "Crouch??? WTF!!!" brigade, I will concede he made a difference yesterday and certainly a bigger difference than Sam has been making recently. He effectively won us the point and he turns aimless high crosses into the box into half dangerous balls, by either winning headers or spreading panic. I might end up eating humble pie, we'll see, but one swallow and all that....

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:49 pm

TVC15 wrote:“Have we had a worse window ?”

Can't put a year them on them but when we sold Jay Rod, Fox and Austin. Around the same time when we signed zavon hines.

Going to the days before the transfer window and there was a deadline in March, notable signings include Paul shaw , Paul mahorn and Steve guinan.

As for the post about not renewing season ticket :lol:

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Crouch did indeed win us a point yesterday and came on and did the job he was hired to do. Arms and legs all over the place, charging into defenders, creating chances, creating space, causing havoc.
Another stroke of genius from Dychio.
And he cost us nowt.

winsomeyen
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by winsomeyen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:15 pm

ClaretAL wrote:Your entitled to your opinion mate but CF is entitled to his, and I happen to agree with it. Im not sure you should be getting all angst about it, this is football and all entitled to their own view, which to be fair is what makes the game it is. I have met some fantastic fans (CT included) and also I will always be a Claret fan, but I just cant justify the expense for me and my son when the club dont have the same commitment. I often have to turn down work to attend games and my wife is in ill health so have to arrange cover when i attend a match, again I dont see the same commitment and really do feel for Dyche working in the "model" he often quotes, so i will now be back to going to the turf when I can as i did back in the 80's when Teasdale seemed to have the same approach, that I now understand how it affects a fan more than i did then. UTC NNN
Teasdale did not have the same approach Al, he just had no money..

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:32 pm

So to summarize, you're bored and trolling.

Glad we cleared it up.