Why arent refs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Why arent refs

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Interviewed post match for MOTD or Sky Sports, anyone know?

Think it would improve things no end. As much for them as anything.

With decisions like today he could come out explain what he saw and justify his decision.

Weve had 3 hugely important and contentious ref decisions in our last 3 games. Wood being totally wrong, lingaard being probably wrong and obviously todays being right but probably most contentious of all.

Is there a reason they dont do it but players and managers do?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Re: Why arent refs

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Because interviewers would ask them stupid questions like "your mistake today could mean Burnley get relegated, how does that make you feel?"

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:47 pm

If the handball today was a penalty then we need to be credited with about 40 others.

Would love to see a montage of all the ones we didn’t get v today’s v all the ones any of the top 6 get
These 2 users liked this post: Alicanteclaret2 whiffa

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Listen, referees and referees assistants take up these roles because they are picked on at school and like to get their own back on society. Why would they want to re enact their awful decisions in public ?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Things tend to even themselves out over a season ...today was just a bad day at the office for the referee.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:54 pm

tim_noone wrote:Things tend to even themselves out over a season ...today was just a bad day at the office for the referee.
Like flyingbolt’s tips, they don’t.
This user liked this post: bob-the-scutter

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:00 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Like flyingbolt’s tips, they don’t.
I wouldn't know...

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:02 am

Ha

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:04 am

tim_noone wrote:Things tend to even themselves out over a season ...today was just a bad day at the office for the referee.
Er no they don’t. Get yourself to a few Burnley home games!!! Are you a new supporter?

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:05 am

Bullshit. It was very poor refereeing, verging on cheating! Bad day at the office my @rse!

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 am

Shearer got it spot on. Taylor was miles away but his lino had a perfect view from 20yds and should have given it.
This user liked this post: Spike

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:39 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Shearer got it spot on. Taylor was miles away but his lino had a perfect view from 20yds and should have given it.
Don't get me started on that liner....

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:43 am

On another post I commented on the fact that it has been the referee's assistants who have cost us perhaps 6 points in the last 3 games. "Offside" goals for us a Watford given but not off side. Reversal at Utd with their equaliser offside and yday the failure to flag for the penalty when he had the best view.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:27 pm

I was furious yesterday.

The overall principle though of how decisions affect the game is a difficult one though. If we had got that penalty, we may not have scored, we may have. The game changes, and we could still have either gone onto draw or lost because all the other things that we saw happen in the game may then not have happened in reality.

I think VAR will help a lot with situations like yesterday but that won't solve all the issues we have about poor decisions imo

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Joe14 wrote:Er no they don’t. Get yourself to a few Burnley home games!!! Are you a new supporter?
:lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:56 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Bullshit. It was very poor refereeing, verging on cheating! Bad day at the office my @rse!
Agreed..... :lol:
This user liked this post: Spike

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Because interviewers would ask them stupid questions like "your mistake today could mean Burnley get relegated, how does that make you feel?"
As opposed to the stupid questions the managers get asked...
“So you won 12-0. Are you happy?”

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 am

clarethomer wrote:I was furious yesterday.

The overall principle though of how decisions affect the game is a difficult one though. If we had got that penalty, we may not have scored, we may have. The game changes, and we could still have either gone onto draw or lost because all the other things that we saw happen in the game may then not have happened in reality.

I think VAR will help a lot with situations like yesterday but that won't solve all the issues we have about poor decisions imo
Absolutely. Any decision or action changes the course of the game. If we had got the penalty would we have scored it? If we had would it have spurred us on or motivated Southampton? The pattern of the game would have changed, it's the classic butterfly effect. If Southampton had scored after our penalty, converted or not, it wouldn't have been the same goal. We might have buried them or they could have gone on to score 3 or 4. Someone at work today has said that we should have won 2-1 because of that bad decision but it wouldn't have worked that way, or it might have, there is no way of knowing.

It was a terrible decision, one of the worst I have seen in years, but if it had been given there are no guarantees about the outcome of the game. One small decision can totally change the flow of a game (indeed as in life) and no one can be certain how things will pan out. Only actions carried out at the very end of a game (say) can have an irreversible effect (such as our penalty that was really the last kick of the game).

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 am

houseboy wrote:It was a terrible decision, one of the worst I have seen in years
As I have said elsewhere, it affected my enjoyment of the game which probably says more about me than it does about Anthony Taylor :lol:

Have you ever seen a Burnley player react so violent towards an official? I can't remember one! Can you remember an occasion when the crowd has gone up, as one, to claim penalty and react so vociferously to a decision?

Perhaps it's time I started watching dingy racing at Clowbridge Res - from afar of course ;)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 am

They would only get media trained to talk crap and avoid serious questions like managers do.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:34 am

houseboy wrote:Absolutely. Any decision or action changes the course of the game. If we had got the penalty would we have scored it? If we had would it have spurred us on or motivated Southampton? The pattern of the game would have changed, it's the classic butterfly effect. If Southampton had scored after our penalty, converted or not, it wouldn't have been the same goal. We might have buried them or they could have gone on to score 3 or 4. Someone at work today has said that we should have won 2-1 because of that bad decision but it wouldn't have worked that way, or it might have, there is no way of knowing.

It was a terrible decision, one of the worst I have seen in years, but if it had been given there are no guarantees about the outcome of the game. One small decision can totally change the flow of a game (indeed as in life) and no one can be certain how things will pan out. Only actions carried out at the very end of a game (say) can have an irreversible effect (such as our penalty that was really the last kick of the game).
And if my auntie had a pair of 8ollox she would`ve been me uncle!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:41 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:As I have said elsewhere, it affected my enjoyment of the game which probably says more about me than it does about Anthony Taylor :lol:

Have you ever seen a Burnley player react so violent towards an official? I can't remember one! Can you remember an occasion when the crowd has gone up, as one, to claim penalty and react so vociferously to a decision?

Perhaps it's time I started watching dingy racing at Clowbridge Res - from afar of course ;)
Barnes was furious to the point where, technically, he could have got a second yellow. Watching it back on MotD they actually blurred out his mouth he was so obviously swearing badly at the linesman. I'm not in favour of players berating officials but in this case it was entirely understandable, especially in light of adding insult to injury by booking him for diving. I fully expect Burnley to appeal the card and get it revoked (apologies if they have already done so but I have not read about it yet).

If MotD ran a 'bad refereeing decision of the season' this would surely be a leading contender. The nearest 'wrong decision' I can remember to this was Englands 'disallowed' goal against Germany when the ball was a clear yard over the line and the ref said it hadn't crossed it.

Dingy racing at Clowbridge. :lol: :lol: :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:42 am

bob-the-scutter wrote:And if my auntie had a pair of 8ollox she would`ve been me uncle!
So.......my aunties been my uncle all this time? I just couldn't put my finger on it so to speak. I knew something wasn't quite right... :?
This user liked this post: bob-the-scutter

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 am

houseboy wrote:Barnes was furious to the point where, technically, he could have got a second yellow. Watching it back on MotD they actually blurred out his mouth he was so obviously swearing badly at the linesman. I'm not in favour of players berating officials but in this case it was entirely understandable, especially in light of adding insult to injury by booking him for diving. I fully expect Burnley to appeal the card and get it revoked (apologies if they have already done so but I have not read about it yet).

If MotD ran a 'bad refereeing decision of the season' this would surely be a leading contender. The nearest 'wrong decision' I can remember to this was Englands 'disallowed' goal against Germany when the ball was a clear yard over the line and the ref said it hadn't crossed it.

Not forgetting the spurs one at old Trafford that nearly hit the back of the net!!!! :o
This user liked this post: houseboy

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3185 times
Has Liked: 1869 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm

houseboy wrote:Barnes was furious to the point where, technically, he could have got a second yellow. Watching it back on MotD they actually blurred out his mouth he was so obviously swearing badly at the linesman. I'm not in favour of players berating officials but in this case it was entirely understandable, especially in light of adding insult to injury by booking him for diving. I fully expect Burnley to appeal the card and get it revoked (apologies if they have already done so but I have not read about it yet).

You cant appeal a yellow card

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm

current crop of Premier League referees aren't up to the job .show obvious bias with who they chat to on the pitch when it should be no-one except where necessary.
none went to the world cup because of their failings. Perhaps they are honest but how come some many bad decisions lead people to doubt their credibility

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:57 pm

I believe the referees match report should be published and be accessible as a PDF download from the PGMOL website.
These 2 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 simonclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:00 pm

"So Mr Taylor, why don't you like Burnley?"

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:29 pm

The referee was 20 yards from when Barnes got caught so couldn't make a clear call so therefore relied on his linesman for indication.

Now this is what i dont get I was stood right on the halfway line in Longside lower and could see as well as everyone around that was a stonewaller, he blow up to give it and
then seem to point to the spot he then changed his mind pulling out a yellow looking onto his assistant.

Now as i was looking up the line Barnes was right in the face of the assistant he was treading a fine line as we had all seen what happened with Saha the week before, that could have been a second yellow.
He was yellowed for false simulation , I am 100% in my mind that he never showed the second yellow because he bottled it the crowd was infuriated he knew he'd made an horrific mistake relying on his assistants call that never was their incompetence was apparent for all to see.
How two officials at this level should be so blind to a stonewall penalty you will ever see, worse than the Hendrick one last season it's just not good enough
I am not a fan of VAR at all it's a farce in my eyes but its still new to the game and all these big decisions that seem to deceive us need to be rectified we have to have some calcification that goes for us has at times it seems no matter what we are doing playing the right way we get out done with know balance.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6956 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Longside4evr wrote:The referee was 20 yards from when Barnes got caught so couldn't make a clear call so therefore relied on his linesman for indication.

Now this is what i dont get I was stood right on the halfway line in Longside lower and could see as well as everyone around that was a stonewaller, he blow up to give it and
then seem to point to the spot he then changed his mind pulling out a yellow looking onto his assistant.

Now as i was looking up the line Barnes was right in the face of the assistant he was treading a fine line as we had all seen what happened with Saha the week before, that could have been a second yellow.
He was yellowed for false simulation , I am 100% in my mind that he never showed the second yellow because he bottled it the crowd was infuriated he knew he'd made an horrific mistake relying on his assistants call that never was their incompetence was apparent for all to see.
How two officials at this level should be so blind to a stonewall penalty you will ever see, worse than the Hendrick one last season it's just not good enough
I am not a fan of VAR at all it's a farce in my eyes but its still new to the game and all these big decisions that seem to deceive us need to be rectified we have to have some calcification that goes for us has at times it seems no matter what we are doing playing the right way we get out done with know balance.
Is it not the case that Barnes could not have been shown a second yellow card as at the time of the dissent he hadn't been shown the first yellow? In the same way that if an advantage was played following a player committing a yellow card offence, the same player wouldn't be punished with two yellow cards for committing another bookable offence during the period of advantage.

Obviously Barnes knew he was about to be booked as the referee stopped play, but he hadn't been shown the card.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:05 pm

The booking was for dissent... NOT simulation

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm

MACCA wrote:The booking was for dissent... NOT simulation
Where have you got that from? If it was for dissent then why did the referee stop play? And why did play restart with a Soton free kick?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:20 pm

That's what I said, but the guy I spoke to was adamant it was for his reaction. The ref was going to give a pen.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 pm

MACCA wrote:That's what I said, but the guy I spoke to was adamant it was for his reaction. The ref was going to give a pen.
Not sure who he is but he's obviously wrong.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Not sure who he is but he's obviously wrong.
I'll let him know, is there a site or is it published by the FA after the report goes in?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm

MACCA wrote:I'll let him know, is there a site or is it published by the FA after the report goes in?
No idea, but if the booking was for dissent then the referee wouldn’t have stopped the game whilst the ball was in play and the game would have resumed with a goal kick or corner kick.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:No idea, but if the booking was for dissent then the referee wouldn’t have stopped the game whilst the ball was in play and the game would have resumed with a goal kick or corner kick.
I asked this question, and gave those reasons you listed . The response was, the ref was going to give the penalty, the card was certainly for dissent.

I'd like to know one way or another if there's a report, or place that had the official reason.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 pm

So we still not 100% sure all of us that the yellow was dish out for dissent or simulation?
On MOTD it was said that Barnes could have been sent off that would have ment a second yellow for dissent
My take and from what Dyche and media where saying that the booking was for simulation and I so him pulling his card out as Barnes was running over to the liner
So i am now in two minds on which of the two it was for
So if Barnes never got booked for simulation why did the referee award Southampton a free kick and stop play.
Or did Taylor ignore the fact of what he waived the penalty for has if he deemed it wasn't then its simulation surely it can't be both
And that card was coming out just after he had change his mind with Barnes running over to his assistant
Last edited by Longside4evr on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Live match ticket from Saturday's game

Burnley 1 - 1 Southampton #FotMob https://www.fotmob.com/livescores/27821 ... s=finished" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeovil1951
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Yeovil1951 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 pm

I thought you could appeal a yellow card if it was for simulation

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Yeovil1951 wrote:I thought you could appeal a yellow card if it was for simulation
No. You can not appeal a yellow under any circumstances.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Yeovil1951
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Yeovil1951 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Kyle Lafferty in April last year had a yellow card rescinded for simulation in Scotland rules must be different over the Border

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Yeovil1951 wrote:Kyle Lafferty in April last year had a yellow card rescinded for simulation in Scotland rules must be different over the Border
Correct. There is a different protocol north of the border
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Spike wrote:current crop of Premier League referees aren't up to the job .show obvious bias with who they chat to on the pitch when it should be no-one except where necessary.
none went to the world cup because of their failings. Perhaps they are honest but how come some many bad decisions lead people to doubt their credibility
Whatever you think about referees, you are totally wrong about the non-attendance at the World Cup.
Nominations had to be made well in advance and Mark Clattenburg was the representative from the English FA. He then left to take up a post in Saudi Arabia and it was then too late for the FA to nominate anyone else, therefore, the fact that there were no PL referees in Russia was nothing to do with their ability.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret