Website not secure

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Website not secure

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Is anyone getting this on apple safari? I can’t stay signed in either.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Website not secure

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Is your clock's date/time correct?

Pearcey

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Yes.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Well it can't be a problem for UTC as otherwise more people would be reporting the problem. I'd Google your exact error message + apple safari

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:46 pm

I am on Chrome and it's not secure....
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

So long as you're not passing over any payment/security details I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you use a unique password for UTC.
This user liked this post: Pearcey

Pearcey

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Well it can't be a problem for UTC as otherwise more people would be reporting the problem. I'd Google your exact error message + apple safari
Yeah did that. Just says the site isn’t secure.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Pearcey wrote:Yeah did that. Just says the site isn’t secure.
I've done a few checks, and the site isn't secure, so that's why you'll be receiving the error. it doesn't appear to have a valid SSL Certificate - which in layman's terms means usernames/passwords can be hacked easier.

Like I say - use a password that you've never used before and is nothing like you've used before. Whoever runs the website should have sorted this, especially after this length of time.

Here's what I sometimes use: https://passwordsgenerator.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And you can write the password down in a notepad - it's safer in 2019 vs storing it online IMO.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Comes up as not secure on my desktop with windows10 using google chrome.

After reading post 8 I must add that I have advised some of our more abusive posters regularly that you are on the internet and you can be found. :lol:

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 pm

It’s not secure , it’s not https:// ( the s part stands for for secure ) . With it being a non e-commerce website it’s not really a problem

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:It’s not secure , it’s not https:// ( the s part stands for for secure ) . With it being a non e-commerce website it’s not really a problem
It is, because a lot of people use the same password for multiple online accounts. You know the password of Joe Bloggs, you can then try their bank accounts for instance, which they might be using the same password for.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:38 am

Untinted Glasses wrote:It’s not secure , it’s not https:// ( the s part stands for for secure ) . With it being a non e-commerce website it’s not really a problem
Using a password to login though is an issue. As mentioned above, make sure you use a password that you only use on this website.

If the password is the same as your online banking account then it could well be a serious issue.

Expect browsers like chrome, Firefox and edge to be flagging up more and more websites requesting login details without SSL certificates as an issue. It won't be long before such sites become blocked by the browser requiring a manual override each time you login. Google have been warning websites since the beginning of 2017 regarding this so it shouldn't come as a shock.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pm

It's been the case since the site started. The topic comes up every so often but there's never been any comment from the Admins. I'm not sure whether they don't view it as an issue or don't have the expertise/time to deal with the certificates, etc.

Obviously the main risks, as already mentioned, are the passwords being compromised when you log in (particularly if you're using public wi-fi). Issues there are if you re-use passwords then they'll try to use the same password to log into email, etc. The other potential issue is spearphishing, someone logging into this site pretending to be a regular poster can possibly scam other posters (although not so big an issue as the private messages are disabled on here).

The other issue is that Google is reportedly downgrading sites that aren't secure in its search algorithms.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 pm

“The other issue is that Google is reportedly downgrading sites that aren't secure in its search algorithms.[/quote]”

On that point Aggi google have given me notice that from April they are going to erase my two google email accounts because they said of a bug that did damage to 50 million odd accounts worldwide last year.

Anyone else get the email?
Last edited by South West Claret. on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:13 pm

South West Claret. wrote:“The other issue is that Google is reportedly downgrading sites that aren't secure in its search algorithms.

On that point Aggi google have given me notice that from April they are going to erase my two google email accounts because they said of a bug that did damage to 50 odd accounts worldwide last year.

Anyone else get the email?[/quote]

It may just be me reading that wrong, but I doubt Google would make any drastic changes for “just” 50 accounts, worldwide

NorthIsCool
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by NorthIsCool » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:33 pm

South West Claret. wrote:“The other issue is that Google is reportedly downgrading sites that aren't secure in its search algorithms.

On that point Aggi google have given me notice that from April they are going to erase my two google email accounts because they said of a bug that did damage to 50 odd accounts worldwide last year.

Anyone else get the email?[/quote]

I got an email from the Google+ team stating that any Google+ accounts and any Google+ pages will be shut down in April.
How this affects any google email accounts I don't know.
I have a googlemail account, but nothing is mentioned int the email regarding this.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Google are years away from ranking sites correctly, so I woudn't worry about that being a big issue. That's why I stick to social media for the majority of traffic. It's a lottery trying to rank sites well.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm

NorthIsCool wrote:I got an email from the Google+ team stating that any Google+ accounts and any Google+ pages will be shut down in April.
I have a googlemail account, but nothing is mentioned int the email regarding this.
It won't have any impact on googlemail. They set it up to try and compete with Facebook but failed big time. There were initial rumours that links from a G+ page would help rankings, but I've seen enough to know it didn't.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:55 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:

It may just be me reading that wrong, but I doubt Google would make any drastic changes for “just” 50 accounts, worldwide[/quote]

Apologies Wilks and all that should have been “50 million odd”

Been corrected now.
This user liked this post: wilks_bfc

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:59 pm

NorthIsCool wrote:

I got an email from the Google+ team stating that any Google+ accounts and any Google+ pages will be shut down in April.
I have a googlemail account, but nothing is mentioned int the email regarding this.[/quote].

Doesn’t google+accounts mean email accounts then NiC?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I got an email from the Google+ team stating that any Google+ accounts and any Google+ pages will be shut down in April.
I have a googlemail account, but nothing is mentioned int the email regarding this..

Doesn’t google+accounts mean email accounts then NiC?
Google accounts count for things such as Google+, Google mail, Adsense, Youtube, Adwords etc.

It's one part they are shutting down, that's all.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:56 pm

South West Claret. wrote:It may just be me reading that wrong, but I doubt Google would make any drastic changes for “just” 50 accounts, worldwide

Apologies Wilks and all that should have been “50 million odd”

Been corrected now.[/quote]

:o Yeah that makes it more of an issue :lol:
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Yes in about October, Google changed it that so http shows as not secure on Chrome. It's very easy to make it https and have a valid SSL Certificate so not sure why this site hasn't done it especially with so much sensitive data being held!

I have with all my sites, made them https secure with valid SSL Certificate and Advanced Security + Firewall+ Auto Backup + Updates ect and they do not hold customers details like this one.

With this website not having an up to date SSL Certificate, I can guarantee you the security is poor in the backend and just waiting to be hacked or injected with Malware! My software is showing this website is clear of Malware but is a High Security Risk. Third party scans also show this and detect outdated software.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 am

FactualFrank wrote:Google are years away from ranking sites correctly, so I woudn't worry about that being a big issue. That's why I stick to social media for the majority of traffic. It's a lottery trying to rank sites well.

No it’s not ! If you know what your doing it’s actually quite easy.
Built a website only around 7 weeks ago and from 180 areas targeted it’s already showing first page on %80 of them .