The art of pressing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

The art of pressing

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Most fans will no doubt enjoy teams attacking each other and scoring goals. I love that too, but there's something that I can really see the manager and coach have worked on: pressing.

Knowing when to press and which player is to press. It's brilliant. The best pressing I've seen in several years was when England beat Croatia. That was tactical perfectionism. But with us, that is when we are at our best. We press and hunt down the opposition. We did it against Man U and scored due to it.

Does anybody else see more in the game than simply attack-attack-attack and can see the 'chess game' that infolds between two teams?

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Re: The art of pressing

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:06 pm

As a hockey player, this is 85% of the game, it’s a skill, there’s all different types of press we drill this over and over and over.

This sport is where the Barcelona press came from, 2 Dutch international hockey players were brought in to the academy to bring this to the youth players there. It’s worked there!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Love pressing football and the first Dyche team was brilliant at it with Ings and Marney amazing at leading the press and players like Jones, Arfield and Kightly great tactically at knowing when the right moment was to back up the press and when to drop off. A lot of Ings and Vokes goals came from winning it high up the pitch and spring an attack on the unready opposition

The first half of the Xmas home gave against a good Liverpool side set a new high for me in terms of how good id seen a Burnley team perform
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:20 pm

You can watch it in games. "Do I go for that player, or do you?" - sometimes you see players unsure. I've seen it in Taylor and Mee but that will go over most supporter's heads. They simply won't be seeing it. Whereas Dyche will be livid if there's confusion between two players.

Now, I still believe this tactic should only be done when we're against teams who are superior to us - unless it's Man City. They are that good, I could class it as a waste of energy as they'll simply outpass the pressing. But every other team apart from the likes of Huddersfield, I'd want it to happen.

When we do that well.. I'm confident we'll win/draw. And since Heaton and McNeil came in, invariably we are coming away with at least a point. We pressed well against Man U and as I've said one of our goals came from pressing them. We need to continue this. It might be why McNeil is knackered after 60-70 minutes as you have to take into account fitness.

Gnulty
Been Liked: 179 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by Gnulty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 pm

We are at our best when we press(the right players). Of course that makes us vulnerable on the counter, but that's a risk I can live with 8-) .

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

DA @ post 3 is spot on about SDs first promoted side. They pressed all over the field to win it as high up as possible. For me the first side in the championship to go all in at this, although totally pinched of Barca. We seem to be more selective now.I doubt we could last a full PL season as we were. The extra speed and ability would leave us leg less for the last 15mins.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:DA @ post 3 is spot on about SDs first promoted side. They pressed all over the field to win it as high up as possible. For me the first side in the championship to go all in at this, although totally pinched of Barca. We seem to be more selective now.I doubt we could last a full PL season as we were. The extra speed and ability would leave us leg less for the last 15mins.
Not sure how you pinch pressing off anybody. It's a valid tactic that I've seen in the early 1900s. It's more about how the pressing is carried out - which takes coaching, instructions and discipline.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Did Southampton do the same on us forcing is to pass to Taylor who saw loads of the ball un the 2nd half.
It seemed they were happy to let Taylor have the ball and marked everyone else so he had little chance to do anything with it.
Not seen the stats but to my mind Taylor must have had more touches thN anyone else in the 2nd half

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:45 pm

paulatky wrote:Did Southampton do the same on us forcing is to pass to Taylor who saw loads of the ball un the 2nd half.
It seemed they were happy to let Taylor have the ball and marked everyone else so he had little chance to do anything with it.
Not seen the stats but to my mind Taylor must have had more touches thN anyone else in the 2nd half
You've not really touched on the subject though. It just comes across as another go at Taylor.

Pressing is when you press the opposition. When you put them under pressure and chase and force them to make a decision. It's not about us having possession, it's what we do without possession.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I watched the croatia game and agree id love us to press like that. We do sometmes

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:59 pm

something Jack Cork needs to get better at, stands off far too often

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:09 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Not sure how you pinch pressing off anybody. It's a valid tactic that I've seen in the early 1900s. It's more about how the pressing is carried out - which takes coaching, instructions and discipline.
That's a Long long time frank... Have you had the card from the queen...truly remarkable :o
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Tricky Trevor

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:44 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You can watch it in games. "Do I go for that player, or do you?" - sometimes you see players unsure. I've seen it in Taylor and Mee but that will go over most supporter's heads. They simply won't be seeing it. Whereas Dyche will be livid if there's confusion between two players.

Now, I still believe this tactic should only be done when we're against teams who are superior to us - unless it's Man City. They are that good, I could class it as a waste of energy as they'll simply outpass the pressing. But every other team apart from the likes of Huddersfield, I'd want it to happen.

When we do that well.. I'm confident we'll win/draw. And since Heaton and McNeil came in, invariably we are coming away with at least a point. We pressed well against Man U and as I've said one of our goals came from pressing them. We need to continue this. It might be why McNeil is knackered after 60-70 minutes as you have to take into account fitness.
Go over most fans heads. :lol: :roll:

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:something Jack Cork needs to get better at, stands off far too often

I think both our central two do quite well at it.

If one goes when the front two are split then one has to stay and keep the shape. It just happens to be Westwood who goes more often, because he's a little terrier.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:38 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Go over most fans heads. :lol: :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColonelCool
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by ColonelCool » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:43 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Go over most fans heads. :lol: :roll:
I can't say I agree with FF, but you are one hell of an annoying person.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:44 pm

The standing off thing is by design mostly. We play for the block, allowing the opposition the ball when we defend but putting bodies between us and the goal.

One of the main reasons why Burnley are the xG stat’s biggest anomaly. Best use I’ve ever seen of it from us was the Liverpool 2-0.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Ings' goal against QPR at home in Dyche's promotion season springs to mind - Marney robbed Barton in the middle after some excellent pressing, fed Vokes who slipped it perfectly through to Ings for a deft finish.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:49 pm

ColonelCool wrote:I can't say I agree with FF, but you are one hell of an annoying person.
Can we pretend you agreed with me!

ColonelCool
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by ColonelCool » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Can we pretend you agreed with me!
Pretty much 99% of what you say is spot on but pressing should be done against every fecker opposition,

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:56 pm

SGr wrote:The standing off thing is by design mostly. We play for the block, allowing the opposition the ball when we defend but putting bodies between us and the goal.

One of the main reasons why Burnley are the xG stat’s biggest anomaly. Best use I’ve ever seen of it from us was the Liverpool 2-0.

This is true as well.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I think both our central two do quite well at it.

If one goes when the front two are split then one has to stay and keep the shape. It just happens to be Westwood who goes more often, because he's a little terrier.
aye maybe BOT, Westwood is immense at it, I still think Cork can improve vastly at it though