Emiliano Sala - football agents

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Emiliano Sala - football agents

Post by Claretforever » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:27 pm

This is an article worth reading. It explains towards the end that Cardiff are likely to have lost £14m due to the £30m cost of purchasing Sala (Agents fees and bonuses bumping up the cost from the reported £15m transfer fee) being higher than their £16m accident insurance.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... tball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Emiliano Sala - football agents

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 pm

In the grand scheme of things its irrelevant. The biggest loss is two lives that shouldnt have. Absolute tragedy.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:54 pm

It's very relevant actually if you can be bothered to read it. Football agents remind me very much of solicitors, the world would function perfectly well without them, yet they exist purely to complicate matters in order to line their own pockets.
These 6 users liked this post: Dark Cloud hampsteadclaret bob-the-scutter Holtyclaret THEWELLERNUT70 longsidepies

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:14 pm

You are right, Cricketfield, but it still makes very interesting reading and gives us an insight into how football must be absolutely awash with what are basically leeches sucking money out of the game and using talented, but very impressionable lads as a cash cow. They are only looking after their own interests and the genuine interests and well being of the player are absolutely the last priority. I suppose it gives us some clue as to what Garlick, Kilby, SD and Rigg have to deal with whilst we are slagging off our crap window!!
These 6 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret Juan Tanamera Leisure BFCmaj DAVETHEVICAR oswyclaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:32 pm

It's a good article, read it earlier and they think the true cost of the transfer is closer to £30 million.

Just highlights how shady it all is.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Gonna have a good think about it but does the game really need these blood-sucking money- grubbing corrupt football agents?

When I go on holiday I manage pretty well these days without travel agents, and plenty of people crack on successfully without leeching estate agents when they sell their houses..
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:43 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Gonna have a good think about it but does the game really need these blood-sucking money- grubbing corrupt football agents?

When I go on holiday I manage pretty well these days without travel agents, and plenty of people crack on successfully without leeching estate agents when they sell their houses..
If you're a 17 year old kid negotiating a contract with a seasoned chairman you're going to have your pants pulled down.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If you're a 17 year old kid negotiating a contract with a seasoned chairman you're going to have your pants pulled down.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
These 4 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Juan Tanamera Goobs Guich

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:47 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Gonna have a good think about it but does the game really need these blood-sucking money- grubbing corrupt football agents?

Clubs can't always be trusted to be fair to players, especially younger ones.

There isn't enough transparency in transfers, that's the issue.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Dark Cloud wrote::o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I think that may say more about your mind!!! :lol:

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Pogba's agent pocketed almost half his transfer fee apparently.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Yes, I think anyone under 21 should probably have a responsible adult in there with them, just in case any over enthusiastic charimen try to have their trousers down!! But most other people could probably manage alone!!! :D

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If you're a 17 year old kid negotiating a contract with a seasoned chairman you're going to have your pants pulled down.
Too old for Crewe Alexandra...
Last edited by cricketfieldclarets on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:03 pm

McKay has two sons who were both on Cardiff’s books?

That’s lucky for them.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:03 pm

All players need some sort of representation regardless of their age. However, when an agent is working for a player, the player should be paying him. Also, there is a difference between negotiating terms of a contract and pocketing a massive fee just for “introducing” a player to a club.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Even after reading the article I'm still unsure why it needs 5 different "agents" to sort a transfer which then inevitably means 5 cuts of money. What are they all actually doing? If we accept that players need an agent as they're busy people and not necessarily very business savvy, why do they need 5???

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:It's very relevant actually if you can be bothered to read it. Football agents remind me very much of solicitors, the world would function perfectly well without them, yet they exist purely to complicate matters in order to line their own pockets.
As a practising solicitor I've got to disagree on such comments....that's like saying if we don't eat sugar there's no need for Dentists..
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

BigF
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by BigF » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Why is it that the buying club must pay the agent's fees? Surely the agent is appointed by the player and he should pay. Following some comments above about solicitors, if you appointed one to sort out something for you it would be you who paid for the service provided.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Mirror reporting that the plane has been found!

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 pm

tim_noone wrote:As a practising solicitor I've got to disagree on such comments....that's like saying if we don't eat sugar there's no need for Dentists..
Retired pal, and your statement is true. Carry on practising, one day you might be good at it.

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Or you can let your agent pull them down, take your pick.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:19 pm

PFA will provide an agent if you require one I think.

But you can't begrudge players making as much as they can out of football as its only a short career.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 pm

There will be more expose articles about this flight as the facts become known. LThe Daily Mail seems to get a lot of stick in general but the authors of this story are the first ones to have sniffed out that there are some very murky details underlying how this flight was organised and conducted. There is a reason the Mackays are furiously spinning this story.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 pm

BigF wrote:Why is it that the buying club must pay the agent's fees? Surely the agent is appointed by the player and he should pay. Following some comments above about solicitors, if you appointed one to sort out something for you it would be you who paid for the service provided.
Logically, there is the possibility of i agent representing the selling club, because they hold the player's contract, then a second agent representing the buying club because they want to hold the player's contract and a third agent representing the player - to look after the player's interests.

On the other hand, the selling club and the buying club could both be represented by their own staff only - we have to assume that both clubs will have both bought and sold players before. Isn't that what used to happen?

So, the only agent that should be required is the player's own agent - and the player should pay for the services of his agent.

Anyone know how the tax man deals with these arrangements? If the club pays the player there is income tax and national insurance due to tax man. If the club pays the agent fees it is a business expense and the club sets it off against any corporation tax that is due.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:It's very relevant actually if you can be bothered to read it. Football agents remind me very much of solicitors, the world would function perfectly well without them, yet they exist purely to complicate matters in order to line their own pockets.
Without a solicitor would it be possible to sort out legal issues for house purchases etc.?

Probably needed more than you think.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:Retired pal, and your statement is true. Carry on practising, one day you might be good at it.
Thanks much appreciated. :D

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 am

Millions spent on a football agent, nowhere near enough on a travel agent.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am

Parasites .The PFA should be representing all players but with pocket liner Taylor at the helm they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 pm

Agents? Rich man poor man middle man thief!

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:58 am

I agree that players (of any age) probably do need representation as unscrupulous chairmen (persons?) could well get them to sign crappy deals, but what appears to have become the norm in football is clubs paying the agent's fee on top of any transfer money, when in actual fact the agent is working for the player and on his behalf. Surely, as previously mentioned, the player should be paying him. I'm sure I'd be right in assuming that's what actor's or writers do for example.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 am

Take your point DR about an agent working for the players interest, but there lies one of the problems about agents in the game today...more often then not I expect most agents will engineer a move for players because of the hefty fee gained from the clubs for themselves.

If the players Trade Union had got their act together years ago they are the one's who should have really been acting for their members interests and not poxy agents.

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:22 am

Agents fees need capping

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:In the grand scheme of things its irrelevant. The biggest loss is two lives that shouldnt have. Absolute tragedy.
Yes ....but the article shows that many people had their snouts in an apparently highly profitable trough ....while the principal actor in all this finished up being shunted onto a single engined piston powered plane with a part-time pilot - and there seems to be some doubt as to whether the pilot or plane or both were actually licensed to carry passengers commercially. Flying across the channel should be a matter of simple routine .....flying across the channel in that plane with that pilot on a stormy January night - well it doesn't sound like a great idea now (hindsight and all that).

Regardless of safety statistics the overall impression is that several people made loads of money without really caring about Sala himself.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Did any of these agents contribute to the cost of the search?

aggi
Been Liked: 2115 times

Post by aggi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Logically, there is the possibility of i agent representing the selling club, because they hold the player's contract, then a second agent representing the buying club because they want to hold the player's contract and a third agent representing the player - to look after the player's interests.

On the other hand, the selling club and the buying club could both be represented by their own staff only - we have to assume that both clubs will have both bought and sold players before. Isn't that what used to happen?

So, the only agent that should be required is the player's own agent - and the player should pay for the services of his agent.

Anyone know how the tax man deals with these arrangements? If the club pays the player there is income tax and national insurance due to tax man. If the club pays the agent fees it is a business expense and the club sets it off against any corporation tax that is due.
Investigations are ongoing in this area at the moment I believe. It's one of the hot topics alongside image rights. Obviously there's the possibility that it's tax deductible for the player as a business expense but there are still tax implications.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:08 pm

keith1879 wrote:Yes ....but the article shows that many people had their snouts in an apparently highly profitable trough ....while the principal actor in all this finished up being shunted onto a single engined piston powered plane with a part-time pilot - and there seems to be some doubt as to whether the pilot or plane or both were actually licensed to carry passengers commercially. Flying across the channel should be a matter of simple routine .....flying across the channel in that plane with that pilot on a stormy January night - well it doesn't sound like a great idea now (hindsight and all that).

Regardless of safety statistics the overall impression is that several people made loads of money without really caring about Sala himself.
And to that I'd add that my bigger/wider concern having read about all the pocket lining that surrounded this deal, is that it's almost certainly commonplace. No chance the way this this deal was put together was a one off or unusual I'll bet.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Reports of Nantes threatening Cardiff with legal action because they haven't made the first payment of the transfer....

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 354 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm

It's going to be messy is this.... Nantes have done nothing wrong, but I can understand why Cardiff haven't stuck to agreed terms, because I'd imagine they're having to deal with the insurance companies. I suppose Nantes have to push for payment though given the circumstances, because they have bills to pay too.

I'd imagine Cardiff has been advised not to pay anything... yet.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm

There may be some issue. Perhaps registration had not been transferred. Perhaps there's some genuine reason why Cardiff have not paid. If not, then that's a pretty shameful way to behave.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 pm

fanzone wrote:Agents fees need capping
That should read "Agents knees need capping" :D
These 2 users liked this post: South West Claret. icu81b4

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Nantes sold the player, he signed for Cardiff.

Cardiff have to pay for him.

They might well be looking at getting the money from whoever arranged the flight though, but Nantes need paying.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:... looking at getting the money from whoever arranged the flight
I'd love to hear the argument that Cardiff are a party to that contract.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm

I've no idea what Cardiff will do here, but they won't want to pay it themselves at a guess. They will look at anybody and anything I suspect.

Gnulty
Been Liked: 179 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by Gnulty » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm

Clubs arguing about money, before the bodies have been found, must do the families warm at heart....

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm

conyoviejo wrote:That should read "Agents knees need capping" :D
Or Agents need knee-capping.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Very sad indeed..
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 3331 times

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:44 pm

I can’t tell how much I detested agents before this thread started, but having scanned through this thread now I feel even worse towards them :x

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:51 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I can’t tell how much I detested agents before this thread started, but having scanned through this thread now I feel even worse towards them :x
It's Nantes who want the money, nothing to do with agents.

They sold a player in good faith for £18 million.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:54 pm

I just wonder whether Cardiff are stalling because they see a potential get out by suing whoever set up the flight. According to the report in the Mail they offered Sala a ticket on a commercial flight, but someone else (McKay?) got him the seat the ill fated plane. Cardiff might claim they would never have sanctioned that.

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I can’t tell how much I detested agents before this thread started, but having scanned through this thread now I feel even worse towards them :x
I totally agree - let's organise a mass stampling on football agents.
Last edited by Pimlico_Claret on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.