Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri May 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I'm smashed off Czech ale

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Looks like the pro (Brexit Party and UkIP) and anti (Liberal, Change UK, SNP, Greens and Plaid) Brexit parties are broadly neck and neck in the polling.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Mon May 20, 2019 7:06 pm

Lib Dems seem to be doing plenty of door knocking from what I gather. I think they're taking advantage of the fact that they're already a sizeable, established party and know how it all works.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Pointless comment Martin, with a little m.
You are looking at it completely in the wrong way, do you have any idea how the seats will be distributed in the EU election?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 am

Elizabeth wrote:Pointless comment Martin, with a little m.
You are looking at it completely in the wrong way, do you have any idea how the seats will be distributed in the EU election?
He probably has as much idea as you do to be fair.
It's really difficult make predictions because of the way the PR system works, and small changes in percentages can make a big difference, but as things stands the official prediction for the North West, (presumably the area in which you will be voting), is as follows:
The Brexit Party would get 32% of the votes, would be guaranteed at least 2 seats, (and would almost certainly get 3),
Labour 22% would also be guaranteed 2 seats, (but with an outside chance of 3)
And Lib Dem 17% would be guaranteed at least 1 seat.
So that's 6 of the 8 seats accounted for. Most likely the conservatives and Greens on 9% each would each get one MEP.
But as I said, it doesn't take huge swings from one side to another in the final couple of days for things to change.
e..g. if Lib Dem support continues to grow then they might pick up a 2nd seat, but it's hard to say at whose expense.
However, it is possible to predict that if Brexit Party poll at 32% or above then they will get 3 of the 8 seats.
http://www.democraticaudit.com/2019/05/ ... f-england/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(This is a very interesting site, and for those who have time to explore it, it gives a detailed breakdown of how current polling would translate into seats in each of the regions.)

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

May's proposal to get the Withdrawal Bill through:

So our New Brexit Deal makes a ten-point offer to everyone in Parliament who wants to deliver the result of the referendum.

One - the government will seek to conclude alternative arrangements to replace the backstop by December 2020, so that it never needs to be used.

Two - a commitment that, should the backstop come into force, the government will ensure that Great Britain will stay aligned with Northern Ireland.

Three - the negotiating objectives and final treaties for our future relationship with the EU will have to be approved by MPs.

Four - a new workers’ rights bill that guarantees workers’ rights will be no less favourable than in the EU.

Five - there will be no change in the level of environmental protection when we leave the EU.

Six - the UK will seek as close to frictionless trade in goods with the EU as possible while outside the single market and ending free movement.

Seven - we will keep up to date with EU rules for goods and agri-food products that are relevant to checks at border protecting the thousands of jobs that depend on just-in-time supply chains.

Eight - the government will bring forward a customs compromise for MPs to decide on to break the deadlock.

Nine - there will be a vote for MPs on whether the deal should be subject to a referendum.

And ten – there will be a legal duty to secure changes to the political declaration to reflect this new deal.

All of these commitments will be guaranteed in law – so they will endure at least for this parliament.

There isn't a huge amount in there is my feeling, a lot of it is pretty wooly.

The customs union compromise is only until the next election so could be a short-lived thing.

I suspect she's gambling on another referendum being voted down but, even if that isn't the case, there isn't really a clear indicator as to what the flip side of not voting for May's deal would be. Would it be no deal, remain or, more likely, more talks.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm

The notion that Britain will be free to go ahead and sign trade deals around the world unhindered post Brexit is simply an illusion. The choice of Huawei to provide a 5G network and the choice of China as a bigger trading partner in the future is a good example. Donald Trump and the US are already threatening sanctions against countries choosing Huawei as a network provider and the escalating trade war between the USA and China does not bode well for Britain doing increased business without jeopardising relationships across the pond. Britain outside of the EU will be in an even weaker position to stand alone against US sanctions.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue May 21, 2019 5:07 pm

aggi wrote:May's proposal to get the Withdrawal Bill through:

So our New Brexit Deal makes a ten-point offer to everyone in Parliament who wants to deliver the result of the referendum.

One - the government will seek to conclude alternative arrangements to replace the backstop by December 2020, so that it never needs to be used.

Two - a commitment that, should the backstop come into force, the government will ensure that Great Britain will stay aligned with Northern Ireland.

Three - the negotiating objectives and final treaties for our future relationship with the EU will have to be approved by MPs.

Four - a new workers’ rights bill that guarantees workers’ rights will be no less favourable than in the EU.

Five - there will be no change in the level of environmental protection when we leave the EU.

Six - the UK will seek as close to frictionless trade in goods with the EU as possible while outside the single market and ending free movement.

Seven - we will keep up to date with EU rules for goods and agri-food products that are relevant to checks at border protecting the thousands of jobs that depend on just-in-time supply chains.

Eight - the government will bring forward a customs compromise for MPs to decide on to break the deadlock.

Nine - there will be a vote for MPs on whether the deal should be subject to a referendum.

And ten – there will be a legal duty to secure changes to the political declaration to reflect this new deal.

All of these commitments will be guaranteed in law – so they will endure at least for this parliament.

There isn't a huge amount in there is my feeling, a lot of it is pretty wooly.

The customs union compromise is only until the next election so could be a short-lived thing.

I suspect she's gambling on another referendum being voted down but, even if that isn't the case, there isn't really a clear indicator as to what the flip side of not voting for May's deal would be. Would it be no deal, remain or, more likely, more talks.
What’s the difference between those ten things and staying in the EU?

Also, what’s the other alternative should there be a referendum on the withdrawal agreement, in favour of the agreement or what???

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm

General consensus appears to be its another massive fudge with enough wiggle room to be meaningless to all sides.

Sigh, looked quite promising for a bit there as well.
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:General consensus appears to be its another massive fudge with enough wiggle room to be meaningless to all sides.

Sigh, looked quite promising for a bit there as well.
Spot on and this nonsense has been going on for nearly 3 years, in our time and as well! as the relatively high salary there's all the expenses that they can fiddle.... amazing some people still voted for these absolute expensive time wasters in the local elections :roll:

Just go's to prove that some people just love to be abused, the more they are abused the more those people vote for them.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm

So it's an even more watered down brino or remain. As a brexiteer I'd rather remain for now and have a proper go with a leader who is not in name only.

Imagine having a referendum with leave a bit v remain. It would see off the tories for a decade at least.
This user liked this post: Right_winger

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 21, 2019 6:12 pm

summitclaret wrote:So it's an even more watered down brino or remain. As a brexiteer I'd rather remain for now and have a proper go with a leader who is not in name only.

Imagine having a referendum with leave a bit v remain. It would see off the tories for a decade at least.
Thing is, reality will still be there, whoever is in charge.

Course, its been ignored in 2016, in 2017, in 2018, so why should 2019 be any different?

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thing is, reality will still be there, whoever is in charge.

Course, its been ignored in 2016, in 2017, in 2018, so why should 2019 be any different?
You might be right but leave voters deserve a proper go at leaving and someone to be firmer with EU in trying to get a free trade agreement. If someone like Raab trys and fails then I might be prepared to accept that for the time being we are trapped in an unhappy marraige.

ecc
Been Liked: 1436 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 pm

"MPs will get a vote on whether to hold another referendum if they back the EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill, she said."

Does that make sense?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 pm

summitclaret wrote:You might be right but leave voters deserve a proper go at leaving and someone to be firmer with EU in trying to get a free trade agreement. If someone like Raab trys and fails then I might be prepared to accept that for the time being we are trapped in an unhappy marraige.
Fair enough that you think it will make a difference, but the evidence is not there.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 pm

ecc wrote:"MPs will get a vote on whether to hold another referendum if they back the EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill, she said."

Does that make sense?
I think the referendum is on the deal subsequent to the withdrawal.

A lot of people have lost sight that the withdrawal agreement is just the first step in the process. It starts the process of leaving but is just a temporary measure until an actual deal is sorted out for how things will work long-term.

ecc
Been Liked: 1436 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi aggi,

Thank you (I'm being sincere). That would make sense although it seems like a bit of a U-Turn to me. The whole thing is a total nightmare whatever one's opinion.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 pm

ecc wrote:Hi aggi,

Thank you (I'm being sincere). That would make sense although it seems like a bit of a U-Turn to me. The whole thing is a total nightmare whatever one's opinion.
Just to be clear, (although you may already be): It's not back the deal and then have a confirmatory vote, it's back the deal and I'll give you a chance to vote on whether you want some form of People's Vote. That's far too vague and at present lacks any detail as to what might be on the ballot paper, and whether (e.g.) it would be a free vote.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 pm

aggi wrote:May's proposal to get the Withdrawal Bill through:

She's talking bilge right from the start. Point 1 - she will use the next 19 months to try and achieve what she couldn't do in the previous 27. Without giving any clue as to how she will succeed.

Point 2 - assuming that she doesn't succeed, she will find another way to do what the EU wants. Not specified how, but clearly implying that if we can't keep the UK aligned the way we want to, we will keep the UK aligned the way the EU wants us to.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed May 22, 2019 12:37 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed May 22, 2019 1:26 am

Hammond is right to say that the Leave voters feel betrayed by a Hard Brexit. That's because they want a Knard Brexit.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Wed May 22, 2019 1:44 am

If it be your will wrote:Ah, right! Bang on! We're getting somewhere, now.

I have a good and very learned lefty friend that agrees entirely that the EU is rotten, unreformable, neoliberal, undemocratic and unaccountable, corrupt and makes Corbyn's plans impossible. But refuses point blank to talk up the brexit cause for no other reason than it's dangerous. The door will be left wide open to a fascist dictatorship, he reckons.

That, I agree, is a small but horrifying possibility. It is a very good argument to remain - probably the best there is, in fact. A remain campaign based on those grounds would be at least be logical, but it wouldn't win. Which is why they went for the lies of 'remain and reform instead, which is, in fact complete b*******. As is the "You can get around EU law" and "The EU wouldn't prevent the implementation of Corbyn's manifesto".

I'm just addicted to seeing and saying the truth, though. So it doesn't work for me.

At the end of the day, this is why I can't get on board with the Lexiteers: I don't see how leaving the EU will result in anything but a right-ward shift in UK politics.

As for your comments about EU law hamstringing Corbyn, I'm not so sure: Poland and Hungary (far less powerful members than ourselves) seem to be getting away with murder at the moment.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 am

Peter Foster of the Telegraph summing this continuing issue up really, really, really well

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/11 ... 5652577280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am

The reaction, especially from her own party, to the 'bold new deal' really does spell the end for May. I reckon the Tories will let the disaster of the Euro elections play out then make a move to get rid at weekend or early next week. I don't think she's one for resigning so the 1922 committee will have to 'usurp democracy' and change their rules to allow another confidence vote. Then it's curtains for May.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:33 am

This says it all for me https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48351281 UK citizens are being denied a basic right to participate in the democratic process. :roll:

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 am

Just watched this interview with David Davies (not Davis), a Brexit supporting MP, being interrupted by a not so rational Brexit voter. You can see him thinking why the **** am I doing this as it goes on https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status ... 2445579264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Worth a watch just to see the level that political discourse in this country has fallen to
This user liked this post: Walton

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed May 22, 2019 11:42 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 pm

aggi wrote:Just watched this interview with David Davies (not Davis), a Brexit supporting MP, being interrupted by a not so rational Brexit voter. You can see him thinking why the **** am I doing this as it goes on https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status ... 2445579264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Worth a watch just to see the level that political discourse in this country has fallen to
A bit like the Stop Brexit bloke interrupting an MP being interviewed, then it was pointed out to him that the MP was a remainer.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Wed May 22, 2019 3:07 pm

aggi wrote:Just watched this interview with David Davies (not Davis), a Brexit supporting MP, being interrupted by a not so rational Brexit voter. You can see him thinking why the **** am I doing this as it goes on https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status ... 2445579264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

This reply is brilliant, and very apt:

https://twitter.com/MightMaggie/status/ ... 9486422016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 22, 2019 4:29 pm

2008 - Labour bail out the banks and saves London based bankers jobs. Costing the nation billions.

The EU says , " that's fine."

2019 - The tories want to save thousands of steel workers jobs in the industrial north. Costing the nation millions.

The EU says, "No can do , UK"

Like the old Real Labour MPs always said, "the EU is a bankers club.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed May 22, 2019 4:42 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:2008 - Labour bail out the banks and saves London based bankers jobs. Costing the nation billions.

2019 - The tories want to save thousands of steel workers jobs in the industrial north. Costing the nation millions.

That's an outright lie though isn't it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:2008 - Labour bail out the banks and saves London based bankers jobs. Costing the nation billions.

I didn't think you could keep up your hot streak of "not making things up"

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed May 22, 2019 4:52 pm

In a moment of incredible timing the Tory party have just sent me their member’s email newsletter, entitled “let’s keep in touch”. The irony for this most out of touch of parties is hilarious.

I only joined so that I could get a vote on the new leader, as a last stab to making them the party they used to be (I will join the SDP after Brexit unless something astonishing happens). But talk is of another stitch up to keep Boris off the ballot (I would prefer Raab personally, a more of a head for detail on these crucial times despite the Dover jokes, and a true advocate of social mobility)

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed May 22, 2019 4:57 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote: I only joined so that I could get a vote on the new leader, as a last stab to making them the party they used to be (I will join the SDP after Brexit unless something astonishing happens).
What? You're going to join a party that ceased to exist in 1988. Stop chasing unicorns.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:In a moment of incredible timing the Tory party have just sent me their member’s email newsletter, entitled “let’s keep in touch”. The irony for this most out of touch of parties is hilarious.

I only joined so that I could get a vote on the new leader, as a last stab to making them the party they used to be (I will join the SDP after Brexit unless something astonishing happens). But talk is of another stitch up to keep Boris off the ballot (I would prefer Raab personally, a more of a head for detail on these crucial times despite the Dover jokes, and a true advocate of social mobility)
Its looking like she might go tonight.

I'm not sure how it helps like, but I think she has realised that she can't do anymore unless something drastic changes. And it isn't going to.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I didn't think you could keep up your hot streak of "not making things up"
"Do the rules prevent support for the steel industry?

The EU Commission says too much steel is produced in Europe. As a result, it has been inclined to take a fairly tough line on state aid in this sector.

In 2016 for example, the commission ordered Belgium to recover 211m euros in illegal state aid it had given to its steel industry.

That does not mean all state aid is impossible, but the government would have to make a case that assistance was within the rules, or fell under one of the exemptions.

One possibility would be to argue that the steel industry was essential for national security, but it is far from clear the commission would accept that.

Would state aid be easier after Brexit?

If the UK left the EU single market, it would no longer formally be bound by the EU's state-aid rules.

However, the EU is concerned the UK could use Brexit as an opportunity to undermine the single market, by giving its companies an unfair advantage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41392469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 6:14 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

That does not mean all state aid is impossible,

Cheers Ringo

You are doing rather well this week for agreeing with me.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Cheers Ringo

You are doing rather well this week for agreeing with me.
Agreeing with you. You're more deluded than May! :lol:

Nobody's saying that not all state aid is impossible.

But stop picking and choosing which part of that sympathetic BBC report you want to ignore!

"As a result, it has been inclined to take a fairly tough line on state aid in this sector."

Hence the minister responsible admitting in Parliament just a few hours ago that his hands were tied and "we have to work within EU Rules"

Are you saying you know more about state aid rules than the minister in charge.

Oh hang on, forgot! You know more about everything than anyone.

Hold me hand up.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Cheers again

We both agree that state aid for the steel industry is perfectly possible.

You and me will going out for a pint at this rate.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Cheers again

We both agree that state aid for the steel industry is perfectly possible.

You and me will going out for a pint at this rate.
1 Has the government been able to bail out British steel?

Yes

Or

No?

2 Is it because it has to work "withing EU rules" that limit state aid.

Yes

Or

No?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm

It hasn't tried

You do this all the time

its not as simple as you want it to be. I know you don't like going into specifics (because it ends really badly for you) but questions like this are complex.

I know enough to know that if the UK declared today that the jobs where safe and they were going to nationalise to save it, then it would take time before anything was done about it. Lots of people would say stuff, but actually doing something about it would take some time.

But the Conservatives don't bail out stuff like this, so its a moot point.

There are a couple of PDFs online about the Italian plant on Taranto in 2016 if you want to check it out.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Wed May 22, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Wed May 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its looking like she might go tonight.

I'm not sure how it helps like, but I think she has realised that she can't do anymore unless something drastic changes. And it isn't going to.
They'll keep her in until after the European elections are announced. She'll be the scapegoat for their absolute drubbing.

After having the second vote offer thrown back in her face, I think she has realised there's nothing more for her to do. I would be amazed (though not surprised) if she stayed after the election votes are counted. They're projecting 7%!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 7:03 pm

claret_in_exile wrote:They'll keep her in until after the European elections are announced. She'll be the scapegoat for their absolute drubbing.

After having the second vote offer thrown back in her face, I think she has realised there's nothing more for her to do. I would be amazed (though not surprised) if she stayed after the election votes are counted. They're projecting 7%!
That sounds optimistic

I'll be amazed if they get that.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 7:16 pm

So we bailed out the banks.

The EU owe British steel £120 million in payments for carbon reductions.

The EU will not let us save the Company.

God bless the EU for being so good for us.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 pm

If it be your will wrote:Very briefly:

Subsidising British Steel: Not allowed
Renationalising British Steel: Allowed
Renationalising then subsidising (or offering any other market advantage): Not allowed

You could play around with the exemptions to state aid rules, but you'd run the risk of every steel company in the EU taking you to court.
You know a bit more about this than me (not hard!) so in theory could you renationalise all the things that you want under a Lexit? ( I know you say you can't, so is there something different for steel as opposed to water utilities (for example)?

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Commons leader Andrea Leadsom has quit the cabinet, saying she no longer believes the government's approach will deliver Brexit.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:What? You're going to join a party that ceased to exist in 1988. Stop chasing unicorns.
https://sdp.org.uk/new-declaration/

That’s me.

I think.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 pm

If it be your will wrote:Very briefly:

Subsidising British Steel: Not allowed
Renationalising British Steel: Allowed
Renationalising then subsidising (or offering any other market advantage): Not allowed

You could play around with the exemptions to state aid rules, but you'd run the risk of every steel company in the EU taking you to court.
Surely if you nationalise a bankrupt company but aren't allowed to subsidise it, then it's still bankrupt and you won't save any jobs? I suppose they could cobble together a "rescue package" that looks good enough to persuade the purchaser (themselves) that they can invest in the company and rescue it, and by the time the process of the EU looking for illegal subsidies has been gone through, things would have moved on.

You would think that in the volatile and uncertain circumstances, the government could buy a small percentage of the company (new shares, not shares owned by existing shareholders) and use that investment to keep the company running until we know where we are. This would give the government a valuable asset, though possibly not that valuable, and they could always sell it later if things recover.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 pm

This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret